Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serenity Gameplay Begins: Opening Story

Prologue:

You are an adventurer in a small band of adventurer friends. You journeyed into the north lands, looking for adventure. You entered the splendorous city of Everfrost, hoping to encounter tales of adventure, treasure, and glory to be gained. For now, you have taken a rest at the local Inn, the Sea Turtle, by the docks. There are icebergs floating in the water at the docks, and this is one of the harshest winters in recent memory. Food is running a bit lower than expected, and prices are high, both in the markets and the inns. This may be the cause of recent thieving you already heard about. You turn in for what you hope will be a deep sleep and recovery from a harsh journey.

The Awakening
    You are awakened in the middle of the night by a loud female scream and a crashing sound...The Inn Keeper, Darren Dins, yells, from somewhere, "The Sea Turtle is under attack!"

NOTE:
    You may play a villain, but be sure you role play a villain. This means not committing crimes that are easily detected, at least not until you are a ridiculously high level character anyway. Don't be a fool and foul up the game.

Everyone needs to check in here if you are interested in playing.

Declare your character class, what you spent your Gold on (You can save it if you want), and what you spent your first skill point on.

Campaign Difficulty: Challenging.

If characters are killed by a small margin, they can be resurrected at the local Shrine of the Omnipotent. If Characters are killed by an amount of 50% of their life total in the negative, they are permanently dead and cannot be resurrected by any means.
    Last edited by Wade; July 4th, 2018, 03:27 PM.

Hey guys, let me know if you want to play or not. I'll try to explain everything as we go along.

Comment

• OrganizationXV
      OrganizationXV commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll play, I'm just not wrapping my head around the character creation.

Do we have a spell/ability list for summoners?

• Mae Borowski
      Mae Borowski commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll play once my thing is done

• Wade
      Wade commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, summoners are mostly done. I need to work on the "character sheet" for the summons.

(Fighter class, spent gold on food/beer/room, spent skill points on bash and focus weapon)

Liayra practically jumped out of bed as she heard the commotion, stumbling as she reached for her bow. She was hardly dressed but she grabbed her quiver anyway and strapped it on before running out. "Where are they?! Who do I shoot??" She asked loudly as she looked around. Before thinking she fired an arrow at the first suspicious looking person she could see. "GO AWAY SCUM!" She yelled.

Comment

This is going to be good comedy. Does anybody else want to play before we get started? Now that Organzation XV and Mae Borowski both understand enough of the character rules, we can just about start.

Comment

(Summoner class, went for broke on my whip)

As the warning of attack rang through the hallways, Allya was startled awake with a bit of a scream. She scrambled to get her bearings, then to slip her robes on. She almost forgot to grab her whip that was sitting on her nightstand before she scrambled out the door.

She was the adventurer, after all. Even if she doesn't want to, she should probably see to the commotion.

Allya runs down the hallway and into the entrance room, assuming that the ruffians came in from the front. Rather than just run straight in, though, she'll go no farther than the doorway to sum up what's happening.
        (Just waiting for another set)

Comment

Male Voice: "Orcs! Orcs in the common room."
          Female Voice: "Aaaaaargh."
          Male Voice: "Run for it!"

Comment

"The common room?" Liayra ran out to where the screams were coming from. It was dark, but she shot at anything resembling an orc. She was pretty much on a warpath at that point, since being still half asleep she wasn't in the best condition to make judgement calls. "Am I getting em??" She yelled.

Comment

Yep, they had an attack on their hands alright. Allya wasn't exactly surprised that there were orcs, but she wondered why it was never an easygoing Halfling or something that wanted to stick up an inn.

In any case, she say back and started summoning. A greenish glow lot up her corner of the room as a spiritual wolf came into being.

"Go get the big guys," Allya mumbled. The wolf barked and chased down the nearest attacker, going for a bite as he did so.

Comment

Now that you are in the common room, you can tell that the Orcs are lead by a single human with the look of a rough fighter. There are two mages in the room as well, already fighting the Orcs. Sam Strong was casting a spell, which lit gave off a yellow-orange glow and hits a nearby orc with a fireball. Rhonda Strong cast an unknown spell at the leader. There are four orcs in the common room in total, plus their human leader. You can tell that the inn-keeper is locked in melee combat with one of the orcs, wielding a kitchen knife as a dagger. You've arrived just in time to prevent him from being overwhelmed by the other orcs.

I did rolls for the Bow attacks, and you hit an orc for 20 damage . Also the Black Mage, Sam, hit an orc for 14 damage with his spell. The wolf tore into a nearby orc, and dealt 10 damage. The Innkeeper rolled a critical hit and slit an orc's throat. However, a different Orc has hit the innkeeper for 15 damage. These orcs are tough fighters. The Orc who suffered a critical hit has fallen to the ground, clutching his throat.

Rules note:
                Be aware that the victim of a Critical Hit falls prone for 1d2 rounds clutching the wound. This may open him up to further backstab attacks or attacks of opportunty.

The Orc rolled a 2 on 1d2, so he stays prone for 2 rounds. A round is 6 seconds.
                Last edited by Wade; July 17th, 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Allya sees the orc that took a hit on the innkeeper and runs over to help. She hits him with her whip, mostly to try and stun him so he gets off of the innkeeper.
                  Last edited by OrganizationXV; July 17th, 2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                    Allya sees the orc that took a hit on the innkeeper and runs over to help. She hits him with her whip, mostly to try and stun him so he gets off of the innkeeper.
                    You hit for 8 damage, and 2 rounds worth of stun damage. The Orc failed the save roll.

The human Fighter, who is the leader of the Orcs, has been slowed by Ronda. He gets his half attack this round against Ronda, and misses.

Mae Borowski, what are you doing this round? I still need to roll the next set of actions of two of the orcs, but for now two of them are incapacitated for at least the next few rounds.

Comment

My next move is to finish off the orc who's on the ground clutching his throat by shooting a arrow at him. No survivors!! "Get wrekt son!" Liayra yelled as she fired her next shot at the defenseless orc. At least it would put him out of his misery, since a throat wound would definitely kill him slowly anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mae Borowski View Post
                        My next move is to finish off the orc who's on the ground clutching his throat by shooting a arrow at him. No survivors!! "Get wrekt son!" Liayra yelled as she fired her next shot at the defenseless orc. At least it would put him out of his misery, since a throat wound would definitely kill him slowly anyway.
                        Okay, the two remaining healthy orcs focus attack Allya's summoned wolf. One misses and the other hits for 8 damage.

The human leader of the orcs is slowed, so he gets a half attack per round, which means he can't take any actions this round.

Ronda, the White Mage, casts Heal on the Innkeeper, restoring him to maximum health.
                        Sam, the Black Mage, casts another firebolt at one of the healthy orcs dealing 20 fire damage. The orc failed his save.

The remaining healthy orc then turns and runs for the door. "Me no get paid enough for this."
                        Last edited by Wade; July 17th, 2018, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Allya caught what that orc said, and a little candle lit up in her mind.

"None of you are being paid enough for this! Get out!" she yells to the roomful of ne'er-do-wells. To emphasize this, she aims her electric spell at who she assumed is the leader, the single human opponent.

Her wolf howls and gets ready to pounce on either of the orcs that attacked it of they try to hit it again or if they move anywhere besides the door.

Comment

Okay, they are going to run away, but the one orc is as good as dead.

Innkeeper Darren: "what a mess. Thanks for the heal, but is anyone else hurt? Serenity, Serenity!"
                            Sam: "Too late. The other group of Orcs kidnapped her during the fight."
                            Darren: "The nearest orc clan lives seven days march to our west. Will somebody tell me why in the hell they would come all this way to abduct a common cook?"

Comment

"Maybe someone wanted to get a ransom from this inn?" Allya asked, having no idea of the logistics involved. She was more do used on looking to the injured.

Comment

"Maybe she's some kind of chosen one unaware of her true potential and they need her for a dark ritual to gain ultimate power." Liayra guessed. She relaxed her stance and looked around at the mess of a place. "Either way, you're lucky we're here! We'll chase them down and fuck their shit up, then feed them to their own dogs, and bring your Serenity back no problem!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mae Borowski View Post
                                  "Maybe she's some kind of chosen one unaware of her true potential and they need her for a dark ritual to gain ultimate power." Liayra guessed. She relaxed her stance and looked around at the mess of a place. "Either way, you're lucky we're here! We'll chase them down and fuck their shit up, then feed them to their own dogs, and bring your Serenity back no problem!"
                                  Lol.

Darren: "oh there's time for that. The fact they were lead by humans means she's wanted alive, for now. I think I know who helped them past the city guard. I bet old Bills had something to do with this. Bills lives in the tan house two blocks over to the west, in the docks district. He runs a "protection" racket and controls half the city watch. I'll pay each of you 1000 Gold just to see him dead, BEFORE the loyal city watch interrogate him. There'll be a reward for bringing Serenity back alive, but I'm not sending a party of 4 adventurers into a full orc encampment without some information first."

Ronda has been inspecting the dead orc corpse:
                                  Ronda: "This insignia is not Orcish, it's a human rune, an older rune by the looks of it, but I can't quite place it. Maybe someone with the city watch has seen it before."

Sam: "hmmm. Orcs do perform rituals of power from time to time, but usually the focus is a demonic figure, not an innocent girl. It doesn't look like they've left a ransom note of any sort, so their purpose isn't money or treasure, for now it seems."

The human leader of the Orcs was not able to escape. Remember he was slowed, so he couldn't run away.
                                  Last edited by Wade; July 18th, 2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Liayra watched, the whole time people were talking, as the leader was still trying to escape the building in ultra slow motion. It was just bothering her to no end. She decided to put the guy out of his misery by shooting an arrow at him.

"I say we go pay this guy Bills a visit then. Afterwards we can find out about this mysterious symbol."

Comment

Allya's stomach turned at the mercy kill, but there was something that bothered her more.

"You want us to assassinate someone?" She seemed revolted at the idea.
                                      Last edited by OrganizationXV; July 19th, 2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                      Auto-Saved
                                      x
                                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                      x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                      Working...
                                      X