Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don was going about his usual morning routine of surveillance and reconnaissance throughout Puerto de Plata. He typically made use of various back alleyways and other infrequently-used paths when learning someone's routine, not only to keep out of sight but to also become quasi-friendly or familiar with the various local gangs that might be populating the less tourist-friendly paths around town.

His patrolling took him from various inns and markets where he'd mentally catalogue various patrons based on their purchases or attire. He also would take note of any mercantile stalls in which the owner had a prosperous day.

Eventually his route had him at the docks, himself glancing around at various adjacent storehouses for cargo or the guards of said cargo. He made his way to the only ship at the harbor, eyeing some of the freight and workers for a moment before calling over to the ostensible dockmaster, an older man not actively schlepping crates.

"Hey fella' -- where's this ship heading to?"

Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n507543
    This is what your racist, pepe memes get you. Death. Death of innocents.

Comment

"Hey fella' -- where's this ship heading to?"

Startled, Beckett turned on his heels quickly and instinctively pulled his pistol from his jacket partly, keeping most of the barrel hidden. The old sea dog wasn't a fan of being snuck up on, only theives and assassin sneak about and he surely didn't like either of them.

"Don't be sneaking up on a man, lad. Ye never know when ye might get a new hole or two."

The old man gave a hearty laugh while he slid the pistol back into place, then crossing his arms and sizing up the man. His clothes were very, very nice and expensive looking. The kinds of silks and cottons normally befitting a man of royalty. "We'd be settin' sail for the northlands. The winter port of Frystheim to be exact."
      Last edited by Cid; December 2nd, 2018, 12:04 AM.

Comment

“Frystheim?” Kriss had walked up in the middle of the conversation. He had been instructed to go to the docks earlier and did just that, reckoning that he could help move some of the cargo before they set off. “We are heading to Adamus Mundi?”
        This was the first Kriss had heard of the actual destination.

”Aye, the big burly Snowman. I heard ye’d be sailing with us on this trip. Recon ye could help a bit with the navigation into the port? I’ve heard say that it’s a bugger gettin’ past the ice without a cutter, but yer Eastern friend’s payin’ fine enough to navigate that bit o’ th’ drink.”

“It will be difficult without an ice cutter, but if we have enough hands and good wind, it can be done! There’s a channel through an island off the coast that never ices, but it is rough water!”
        Kriss smiled to himself, it had been a long time since he’d helped navigate the Roaring Trench. He relished the idea of revisiting the challenge.

“Cargo’s nearly loaded and we’re settin’ off once the rest of you lot show up. Could’a used yer help earlier...” The old sea dog grumbled. “As fer the sneaky feller, if yer fixin’ for a ride into the chilly parts, I ain’t takin’ no more passengers fer cheap. We got a big enough crowd s’it is. Come back with some real money or just stay here where it’s warm an’ safe, like a sane landlubber.”

Indicating that he understood, Kriss headed into town to get something to eat and refill his flask for the trip. Heading to a nearby pub, he ordered some fish stew and ate it slow as he mapped out the course to Frystheim in his mind. He was heading to his homeland for the first time in years, and he truly didn’t know how to feel.

Comment

Blackrose and Bone Crusher arrived at the docks shortly, and Adina waved at everyone who was there. She approached Beckett who appeared to be the captain of the ship. "Ah! You must be the captain!" She chimed. Looking at the ship, she noticed work was still being done. "She's a fine looking vessel. Mind if we lend a hand? I brought another body with me, he should prove useful."

Tiberius nodded. "Aye, it'll be a relief to be back to work. That salty sea air, it's invigoratin'."

Beckett welcomed the two aboard and briefed them that the rest of the crew was lugging cargo to the cellar. Adina and Tiberius boarded the ship and both took either side of a large crate, lifting and carrying it down.

Comment

He held both of his hands up as a reaction to the firearm being pointed at him, a display of passiveness to calm the situation. "My profuse apologies, sir." he said with a relieved smile after the weapon was lowered.

Don nodded slightly while the captain spoke. He remained quiet while the other man inquired about Adamus Mundi. After the other man left he stepped closer to the captain.

"Good news then! I myself have been assigned to travel north to help etablish some protected routes and locations with respect to intercontinental commerce. We actually sent some couriers to charter a ship but if you're the only one around it seems they have failed to do so at this time."

He reached into the inside of his suit pocket and produced a slender leather billfold with a red silk ribbon tied over it. He opened it and gingerly removed and unfolded an elaborate piece of parchment with numerous paragraphs of legalese written on it complete with a pressed seal marking the bottom corner.

"I'm Aloysius Gabbiani, representative of Acerrae Vatriae's finance ministry." he produces an ornate writing instrument and makes a few marks on the document before pressing it into the captain's hand.

"Signing and transaction is completed. This bond for the amount of 50,000 gil is now legal tender. I will need to verify its placement into a secure receptacle while it is transported. A safe or a lockbox perhaps. At your convenience of course."

Don briskly walked onto the ship, not looking back at the captain and taking deliberate steps to not engage the sailors. Once aboard he began looking around for sleeping quarters or the like.

Comment

[Puerto de Plata]
              |The Journey Yet to Come|
              [Just Five More Minutes …]

Grigor pauses just a moment before he reaches down to grab onto the doorknob. This small pause in motion would prove that sometimes life just conspires to give you lemons with one hand and steal your vodka with another. Grunting from the ache in his ribs he opens the door just as the young lady who was sent to wake him was about to knock. With the door opening and Grigor stepping though the lady’s knuckles lightly bounce off the Beastmaster’s throat twice before she realizes what she was doing. With a gasp she backs up with a confounded look on her face. Grigor merely scratched the back of his head.

Now, I do recall young women being very forward in this town in my youth. This puts a strange, but not unwelcome spin on the situation.

It took only a moment for the girl to process what the Beastmaster was insinuating and her face flushed as bright red as a fresh sunburn. Her eyes slam tightly as she screams the message she was to relay, Master Xu-Shen requests your presence at the docks as soon as possible!!!!” The knuckles to the throat was annoying, the yelling as she ran guarding her honor caused his pounding headache, from whatever he was drugged with, to go from street work to avalanche. Taking a deep breath, he steps forward, he should have just got back into bed. He didn’t even know if he was needed on this venture or not.

Want to just leave? Go back to sleep? Fenrir, think they’d miss us?

She looks up at him, as if scolding him for such a childish response to the start of the day. He’d seen what happened. What they had to fight. Cutting his gaze from her, as he knew she was right, he allows her from the room and closes the door behind them. It seemed he needed to adult today. Responsibility sucked. That could be the searing pain in his side speaking too, but the last week had been just one giant shit show, and it was likely to get worse. Running away wasn’t always going to be an option.

-Later-

Grigor stared blankly at the dock. He stood here before, years back, except he was arriving not preparing to depart. The greyed captain took notice. He recognized Grigor, but it seemed that the Beastmaster didn’t recognize him. That many years did that, turned people you once met to people you no longer knew. “If ye going to stand there, at least put ye back to use. The quicker this is done, the quicker we get under way.” the grizzled man barked. Grigor was taken back, but he supposed that Xu wouldn’t be meeting with them until the ship was sailing to wherever they were going. Ignoring his headache, he sucked it up and went to aid the crew and his friends with the crates. Fenrir walked over and sat by the salty Captain, “Ye remember me eh? Ye were younger than he.”

Comment

[Plot Progression]
                Song of the Moment
                The Sweet Candy
                Wild Arms Alter Code: F

Xu-Shen and Ju-Long showed up at the docks shortly after the rest of the group arrived. Captain Beckett stood at the ramp in front of the ship, barking out his final orders to his crew before setting off. Xu approached the grizzled sailor with Ju slowly following behind him. "Are we ready to sell, Captain?" He asked while tapping on the old man's shoulder, causing Beckett to spin around quickly. "Great Leviathan's shoes! What be wrong with you kids and your habits of sneaking up on an old man?" He pounded his chest for a moment, as if he were trying to knock his heart back into rhythm. "The Siren's Song be ready to sail when you lot are." Xu gave the captain a nod and then he and Ju-Long made their way onto the deck.

There, the entire group was just standing about after having helped the crew load all of the supplies. There were a couple new faces among them, a thug-ish looking man standing with Blackrose and of course, the man with the phoenix tattoo that was talking to Alistair. Xu clapped his hands together loudly to get their attention, "Well, well. It seems we have two new friends with us this morning?" He waited for the chatter to die down before he continued speaking. "I've not seen some of you since we parted ways a week ago. A few of you already know what happened, but the rest of you seem to be in the dark still. I want to address the situation first." He shifted uncomfortably and rubbed the back of his head. "There's no easy way to break the news. My group was ambushed by a dragoon. He was stronger and faster than anything I've ever encountered and he overwhelmed us quickly. I was the only survivor. I'm sorry I couldn't protect them."

Ju-Long placed a hand on his shoulder then stepped forward. "There is no time to grieve for our fallen comrades. Xu-Shen learned from his assailant that Astaroth's next target is the Water Crystal in Adamus Mundi. He arranged passage for us aboard this ship and we're to set sail for Frystheim now." The warrior turned and motioned to Captain Beckett that they were ready. The old pirate laughed heartily as he made his way up the ramp.

"All right ye landlubbers! It be time to weigh anchor! Undo the mooring and push off the docks!" The ships crew quickly jumped into action, first by removing the ropes that attached the ship to the pier, then by pulling up the anchor and using poles to push the vessel away from the docks. When the ship was floating freely, the crew unfurled the sails and turned them towards the open ocean, it wasn't long before the wind caught and began to push the ship out onto the sea.
                Last edited by Cid; December 4th, 2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

"Something I've wondered since I joined up with you lot," Hellfish comfortably plants his sea legs and mentions to no one in particular--addressing the general assembly of collected company. "Which of ya can hold down when a ship gets to rockin', and which of yaz gonna keel over and throw yer guts up?"

Its rough sailing up North--the wind has the sting of cold brine. And the ship lurches in sickening, ceaseless, repetitive motion on the battering waves.

Hellfish drinks his rum unbothered, produces a pouch of gold for gambling, and places bets with the crew on whose gonna be the first to puke (among other things).

"20 gold says the mouthy wench goes topless on-deck before we dock at port." Hellfish puts money on it.

"Done." Beckett accepts the wager, and does not know that he probably just lost 20 gold.
                  Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; December 5th, 2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Alistair leaned against the ship's railings, with his hood down, letting the wind blow through his hair as he gazed across the endless blue sea. He'd never been on a ship before now, having spent his entire life so far living in Acerrae Vatriae. Even in spite of the circumstances, he was filled with a sense of excitement from sailing for a new land. Behind him, he overheard Hellfish wondering out loud who would be the first to get sick and then placing bets with various crew about it, Blackrose's dislike for clothes, and other things. He smiled, he was glad to see that Hellfish was enjoying himself and seemed to be in a genuine good mood.

He turned around, looking over the deck. He was curious about where they were going and thought it'd be good to ask someone. Someone like Kriss, who hailed from those lands. Alistair also knew that Kriss was probably still struggling with what happened to Jack. He had only known the marksman for a couple days but had already formed a bond with him, his death weighed heavily on Alistair's mind. So he knew it was probably especially tough for someone who had spent years with him.

He spotted Kriss close to ship's stern, looking back towards the ever-shrinking shoreline of Acerrae Vatriae. He made his way to the viking and stood beside him, placing his hands on the rails. "It's quite a thing to watch your home shrink into a bed of blue. I'm not sure how I feel about leaving it behind, it fills me with both fear and excitement. Is that how you felt the first time you left your home?"

Comment

It was around that time that Blackrose barged out of a door on the main deck, her vest wide open and shirt tied around her waist, while she was clutching a bottle of rum, and yelled "Ahoy muthafuckas!"

Comment

• OrganizationXV
                        OrganizationXV commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And Beckett is already wrong, of course. Lol.

• Cid
                        Cid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "Alistair was immediately thankful he didn't take Hellfish up on that bet."

Cirrus quietly excused himself after Xu-Shen gave the bad news a second time. He seemed to be the second person to pick a spot to sleep in, after a well-dressed man that Cirrus didn't recognize in the slightest. He peeled off his armor (if he were thinking straight, he wouldn't have bothered putting it on in the first place) and slid it under one row of hammocks that served as a bed. It wouldn't do to rust out the new suit before he had a chance to take a crystal back.

"And who might you be?" Cirrus asked Don, who seemed to be the only passenger that had nothing to do with their quest. Maybe he did, Cirrus had trouble keeping track of new people. He didn't even realize that Telah, the chocobo girl, never actually made it into the forest with them until they were already well into the journey.

Comment

Don had been in the sleeping quarters all morning, since right after he set foot on the ship. Prior to take-off he stood near the doorway and peeked out onto the deck while the other passengers had assembled for the speech. He didn't catch a lot of what was being said for the most part, something about crystals. However he paid some attention to Xu and Ju due to a comment made by the Captain earlier: ("yer Eastern friend’s payin’ fine enough to navigate that bit o’ th’ drink.") After ascertaining that Xu-Shen was the one that chartered the ship, Don made a note of it and returned to his hammock.

Later upon being questioned by Cirrus he gave a small nod and grinned. "Good morning! Name's Aloysius. Most people call me Al." he patted around his jacket a few times, pretending to search for business cards that didn't exist before extending his hand to shake Cirrus'. "I'm afraid I don't have my card on me. What brings you up North?"

Comment

Volt Lynncher was at the bow of the boat, looking forward ahead at the wide ocean they were sailing across. He closed his eyes and took a sniff of the breeze. It smelled sweet, like surgar crystals, but less addicting.

Volt would open his eyes and smile. "This breeze feels amazing. " He would say, as he looked at his fellow companions. He felt he could manage traveling with the goons of that shirtless female too, although the female had a shirt on finally.

Comment

• Cid
                            Cid commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well, she's got a vest still...

• Mae Borowski
                            Mae Borowski commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I said it was wide open as in not covering her boobs

• Cid
                            Cid commented
                            Editing a comment

[The Siren’s Song]
                          |Departing is such Sweet Sorrow|

[The Slat of Life]

When Xu made the revelation that his party was annihilated it only confirmed what Grigor had concluded the night before. Clutching the pipe in his teeth the Beastmaster made his way to the railing as the ship started its drift from port. Reaching into his clothing he produces a small tied leather pouch. One much like he kept his tobacco in, the only notable difference is the thread, twine, that held it closed. It was a dark crimson, almost black in color. Opening it, he pushes his thumb and index finger into its confines. Pulling his fingers out, he makes sure not to lose any of the fine granules that he held. Extending his hand over the open ocean he lowly chants a prayer to himself, the seas, and the land.

Zài dìqiú de huáibào zhōng, wǒmen huíguī sǐzhě de línghún. Zài hǎishàng, wǒmen tígōng shēntǐ de huījìn, dàn shàngwèi guīhuán. Duìyú sǐzhě, wǒ tígōngle suǒ cǎiqǔ de, máizàng de yíshì.’

Rolling his fingers, he sprinkles the particles into the ocean below. Opening his eyes again he ties the bag and slides it back into his clothing. Looking down at Fenrir, he could tell that she was fairing far worse than he. She didn’t like the sea, a trait she held from when she was but a pup leaving their homeland all those years ago.

Grigor puffed out a ring of smoke and squatted to his companion. He patted her head before sitting next to her, this would probably be a very long trip.

In the far distance of the shrinking dock three sets of eyes peered from the darkness into the light.

“On ukhodit, otprav'te slovo.”

Comment

The unknown eyes happened to be staring at Edina's chest from a distance. "Hm?" She muttered to herself, "I feel... watched." She sauntered over to Don and Cirrus, taking a swig of her drink. "What it do, fellas? Enjoying the open sea?" She asked, leaning on Cirrus with an elbow.
                            Last edited by Mae Borowski; December 9th, 2018, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Cid
                              Cid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I thought her first name was "Edina" not "Adina?" O.o

• Mae Borowski
                              Mae Borowski commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My bad, I forgot

• Cid
                              Cid commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Lmao

Originally posted by Mister Gold View Post
                            Don had been in the sleeping quarters all morning, since right after he set foot on the ship. Prior to take-off he stood near the doorway and peeked out onto the deck while the other passengers had assembled for the speech. He didn't catch a lot of what was being said for the most part, something about crystals. However he paid some attention to Xu and Ju due to a comment made by the Captain earlier: ("yer Eastern friend’s payin’ fine enough to navigate that bit o’ th’ drink.") After ascertaining that Xu-Shen was the one that chartered the ship, Don made a note of it and returned to his hammock.

Later upon being questioned by Cirrus he gave a small nod and grinned. "Good morning! Name's Aloysius. Most people call me Al." he patted around his jacket a few times, pretending to search for business cards that didn't exist before extending his hand to shake Cirrus'. "I'm afraid I don't have my card on me. What brings you up North?"
                            Cirrus didn't exactly trust this guy, but from the way he acted he was far from dangerous. At least as long as he isn't given a chance to be. Cirrus shook his hand easily enough, but didn't want to give a straight answer. After all, the necromancer seemed to know they were coming, back in the forest. Maybe things should be close to the vest.

"Oh, well we have some, uh... some important business to attend to. In the North. We're uhh..." Gods, Cirrus was bad on the spot. Like, it was painful even to him. "We're doing business."

Originally posted by Mae Borowski View Post
                            The unknown eyes happened to be staring at Edina's chest from a distance. "Hm?" She muttered to herself, "I feel... watched." She sauntered over to Don and Cirrus, taking a swig of her drink. "What it do, fellas? Enjoying the open sea?" She asked, leaning on Cirrus with an elbow.
                            And now this was happening, and Cirrus felt even more awkward than before, somehow. "I can't tell if it's the ship rocking or the hangover, but I'm not enjoying my first time at sea," Cirrus replied truthfully. He looked up at Edina and woah boy those are just sticking out again, huh? He rubbed his face with the arm not being leaned on and stared at the floor. "Seems like you're handling it a little better."

Comment

"Not enjoying it?" Blackrose muttered as she watched him. Cirrus did look pretty downcast. And she remembered that she made him quite embarrassed back at the Inn. She felt bad. But she knew how to cheer someone up! If this wouldn't do the trick, well, she grabbed Cirrus and squeezed him softly, pressing his face into her chest. "Come on now, cheer up Cirrus. Things will get better! Let's party so the bad guys know we're not afraid!" She smiled,

Comment

Volt would look back towards his fellow adventures after a bit of starring at the clear ocean to see Blackrose pressing her chest against the dragoon's face. What irritated him was that she was shirtless yet again. "Please back away from the kid. You're going to choke him with how enormous your chest is."

He seriously thought this girl knew nothing about how females need to act. He wasn't being sexist though, he just thought females should cover up their privates like guys do. "Also, put a shirt on!"

Comment

Blackrose laughed, facing Volt as he made his tyrade. "Or what? You'll kill me?" She scoffed, putting a hand on her hip. "I vaguely remember you. Like a mosquito in my ear. You caused that bar fight that got everyone kicked out, didn't you? Unless you're here to repeat last night and walk the plank, I'd recommend you scurry off."

Comment

Volt glared at Blackrose. His stare was like it could pierce an iron wall. "It was not me who started that! Blame it on your cheerleading squad, slut!" Volt yelled. He had never gotten angry to the point he had to curse in quite a while, but when he does, it's hard to calm him down.

"If your group of starstruck idiots weren't at the bar at that time, then we wouldn't be here now arguing! Or maybe you would just find some other stupid way to use your extremely lewd body to anger me even more!" Volt spat more at Blackrose. He knew this girl was trouble before, but now she was just being a complete Ass.

Comment

Working...
                                    X