Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Wait a second," Cirrus said, only half-sure of what he just witnessed. He literally stopped in his tracks at the implications of it. "I think Blackrose just made a good point. It might've just been the wind not blowing and the boar got careless, but I'd be surprised. Let's watch out for any black mages that might've caused this."

Cirrus took a look back at the boar's legs, which were still stuck in the same positions they were in when he was alive. More quietly, he added, "And this might've been very recent... It's hard to run with frozen knees."

Quickly, Cirrus assessed the combat effectiveness of the group. Ju-Long and Alistair were in the front, he had no concerns about frontal attacks. Even with the giant boar slowing down Hellfish and Kriss, it only takes a moment to drop the spoils of the hunt and to pull out a giant axe. The assassin, Cirrus saw with a glance, was staying out of sight in the trees, and on top of that was staying towards the higher ground for visibility. The dragoon approved. One big problem with the formation, though- the back of the formation was made of Telah on Chocho and Blackrose. If there was an ambush, he assumed the rogue would be too hungover to notice it and Telah's casting time meant it was a terrible idea to leave her defenseless. There wasn't much reason to make a big deal of it, but Cirrus slowed his pace until he was in the back of the group. As he did so, he asked Cayne to do the same.

Comment

Carrying the boar along, Kriss had little more to do than listen. At the mention of King Ebrahim by the pirate, Kriss felt himself react a bit. Ebrahim was a good king, what did he have to do with all this? Kriss determined that he would need more information. He had no intention of going against the Datsuo Umi king without a very, very good reason. His thoughts were interrupted by the Eastman’s claims of stolen crystals and no wind. This was all too strange. This unusual band of people, this trek into poisoned woods, this half petrified animal, the utterly decimated city. As people discussed the implications of the present circumstances, everybody was clearly on edge. The Viking finally had enough.

”You, ranger.” Kriss managed to keep his voice down a bit, for once. “I do not fully trust the Eastman, so I’ll ask you. Why are you all together? Why was Puerto de Oro decimated? And have you seen my brother in arms, Jack? I am not willing to continue this journey until I have some answers.”

Comment

Alistair slowed his pace some so that he was beside Kriss. Though he made no special attempt to keep his voice low since the information he had was known by everyone else. "I thought Ju would have filled you in since you two had spoken earlier and he gave his blessing for you to come with us. I apologize in advance, the story is quite long.

Puerto de Oro was destroyed for its crystal. You've heard of The Crystal Requiem, yes? Another man, apparently a former a leader of one of the northern tribes named Astaroth, somehow came into a great deal of power. Best we can tell, he killed the king of
        Datsuo Umi and disguised himself as King Ebrahim in order to get closer to the other leaders during the Requiem. He murdered King Farrell on the stage and then proceeded to destroy the city. Most of us were there, we barely escaped with our lives. Ju and his companion, Xu-Shen, showed up and lead us out of the city. If not for them, we'd surely all be dead.

Do you speak of Jack Sterlington, by the way? You two don't look like brothers. I do know him, he and I shared quite the adventure just a few days ago. Our group split up back at Posada de Oro, Jack and I discovered that some disturbing magics were being practiced out on the eastern reaches of the continent. Jack said he was more accustomed to traveling in the desert and so he opted to travel with Xu-Shen and a few others to check that out. We're heading directly north because we've been told that this is where Astaroth came through. The plan is to meet back up with all of them at Puerto de Plata and continue traveling as a group. Surely you'll see your brother again then."

The two men continued to discuss everything for quite some time. It didn't feel like much time had passed, but before he knew it the forest had already grown quite dark and it felt as if the temperature had dropped significantly. Not cold enough to be a problem, but definitely enough to feel it.

Song of the Moment
        Black & White
        Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
        Masayoshi Soken

[Plot Progression]

Night had fallen across the forest just as the group exited the thick brush and entered a small clearing with forest surrounding all sides. Above their heads, the canopy of the forest gave way to an endless sea of stars with the soft glow of the setting sun only barely visible just above the tree line. Cutting through the middle of the clearing was a flowing stream of water that would be safe to drink and refill their waterskins from. "We'll make camp for the night. The forest is too dangerous to travel in the dark."

Alistair took Kriss with him to gather firewood while the other members of the group settled down. Within the hour, the ranger had a nice fire burning along the edge of the stream and had the once giant boar carved into chunks and roasting on wooden spits above the flames. The aroma of his mix of spices and the cooking meat filled the air and gave way to a sense of peace and levity amongst the tired travelers. Never one to be unprepared for a night outdoors, the ranger had managed to pack a small pot with him, which he used to boil water for anyone who wanted to cook their nightly portion of rice and beans.

As the group settled around the fire, they talked and even managed to tell jokes and spin tales of their adventures.

Comment

Cirrus sat down with a hearty clanking of armor. He slid his dragon-like helmet off as well, so he could breathe in the aroma of cooking meat. He wasn't sure if it was worthwhile carrying that beast along- right up until Alistair started with the seasonings, that is.

"Hey, masked man!" Cirrus called out to Luciano, patting a chunk of dirt next to him. "Come, sit down. You're among friends here."

Comment

Blackrose sat down by the fire with a huff as she checked her stuff. Flask, empty. Backup flask, empty. Backup backup flask, also empty. She lie on her back with one leg crossed over the other, putting her hat aside and folding her hands under her head.

"You know, once upon a time I was the real deal. Going on heists and other daring escapades. Had a lot of rivals, some even fell in love with me. I had goons, a kickass mansion, I pretty much ruled a neighborhood, AN ISLAND, life was great before this guy took the crystals and everything. Now I'm washed up. My goons are gone. I still know where my buried treasures are though. At least I have that. I still have my awesome skills. Maybe I'm just lamer. I can't even entertain kids. I LOVE KIDS. But they're afraid of me."

Comment

Alistair was taken aback by Blackrose's sudden willingness to share and to do so coherently, her normal inebriated antics seemed to be gone and now she sat solemnly, seemingly ruing her actions earlier that day. The ranger shook his head slightly at her latter comments. "Blackrose, my dear, you need not worry about scaring children. I assure you that if you face them with the same sincerity you've just shown, that anyone would enjoy your company." He paused to poke his knife at one of the chunks of roasted boar, juices flowed liberally from it and then sizzled against the charred skin. "Seems like our meal is finished," he stated with a warm smile as he pulled one of the spits out of the ground and handed it to the rogue. "Everyone, take what you'd like and enjoy. This might be the last bite of meat we see for quite some time."

He pulled one of the spits for himself and took a bite of it, savoring the flavor for just a few seconds before electing to tell about his boring self. "I myself have no claims to fame. I am but a humble hunter. I grew up in a small village along the western edges of this forest and learned how to handle a bow by my father's hands. I left the village when I was sixteen and traveled wherever I felt I wanted to go. I've gotten by with my bowmanship by hunting and selling my excess to whoever I come across that is willing to pay for it. Not the most exciting life, I know. But it has been a good one."
              Last edited by Cid; September 7th, 2018, 03:26 AM.

Comment

"I had a fleet once. Capital ships. Buccaneers. Me brawlers took the biggest hits; me salt-wives had the biggest tits. Ye had an Island? I could take yer Island." Captain Hellfish reminisces.

"When I first came to port I was only 15, in the sorriest ship that you ever did seen. Never minded the rain or the rolling sea, but that fekkin' ship was a prison. Captain was a right-cunt. Quartermaster beat me bloody. Always said I'd save me enough enough coin to get me own schooner. 'Course I spent all me tin on lassies and gin."

Wistfully he looks to the night sky; the same stars shine upon the mist-veiled forest and the ocean voyages of his youth.

A man learns things on the high seas. How to chart a course. How to weather a storm. How ta take what ya' need and need what ya' take. How big yeh feel when yeh take a ship. How small yeh are when yeh look over the bow at that endless blue. How to sing a good fekkin' shanty.

With well-seasoned ham spitted over a roaring campfire and the promise of a good brawl in days to come, Captain Hellfish is feeling plucky enough to get musical.

"Pump me boys. Pump her dry.
                Down to hell and to the sky.
                Bend yer' back and break yer' bones.
                We're just a thousand miles from home.

The scoundrels life we do adore.
                So come on boys lets pump some more.
                Don't worry if yer stiff and sore.
                I'm sure we've pumped this bit before.

Pump me boys. Pump her dry.

The Captains daughter I suppose.
                Could be called a summer rose.
                What would you think when I propose.
                The pox she gave to me a'blow.

The rose well she did prick me sore.

I never felt so shit before.
                Thanks to the girl I do adore.
                I thought I'd never pump no more.

Sometimes when I am in me bed.
                And thinking of me day ahead
                I wish that I could wake up dead.
                But pumpings all I get instead.

Yes how I wish that I could die
                The swine who built this ship to find
                I'd bring him back from where he fries
                And pump him till the beggar's dry.

We're just a thousand miles from home."

Its a gruff, old seafarer's voice belting out the obscene pirate tune. But it isn't half bad.
                Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; September 7th, 2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Blackrose sat up to take the spit and nibbled on her piece while the others talked. Cirrus was right though. Maybe she'd be cooler if she wasn't a drunk mess. Or at least took it easy on the booze. She got weird when she was on the booze. As Hellfish broke into song, she started to sway while she continued to eat. It was a familiar tune, no doubt, and he sang it well. It got her thinking about the old times again.

"I've heard that song before. Maybe we did cross paths on the sea a long time ago."

Comment

"Come, sit down. You're among friends here."
                    The dragoon called to Luciano who was perched on a sturdy tree branch, the hunched over assassin looked downward at the spot that Cirrus beckoned toward and simply shrugged. "I suppose I could eat." He rapidly hopped down, branch from branch, from the absurdly high spot, high enough to kill or seriously injure anyone unfortunate enough to misstep, as if it were second nature to them. Within seconds the masked man landed next to the lancer and squatted down, sitting with his legs folded. Removing the mask that obscured his cute boyish face, he silently stared into the campfire eating his fill as the rest of the group shared their life stories
                    Originally posted by Wade;n484984
                    As Bill Cosby once said, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

Comment

Cirrus grinned as Luciano clambered down the tree like a pro. His face went pensive as Blackrose and especially as Hellfish went into their pasts; talking about old memories had a habit of bringing up old memories. Cirrus's mind wandered back to when he was a boy no older than six, When he was barely old enough to swing around a wooden stick. That was the first day that his father had-

"That's an interesting mask," Cirrus said to Luciano, out of the blue. "But why do you... Is it armor, or just decorative?" the dragoon stopped himself from asking 'why do you need a mask?'.
                      Last edited by OrganizationXV; September 7th, 2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Sitting in a group around a fire eating and singing, a band of people bound by the tie that is common struggle. It made Kriss feel all at once nostalgic and melancholic. It reminded him of the better times in his old merc group: The Serpent Legion. Those better days were long past. Him, Jack, Xiao, Reeve and Ashen were all that were after the ridiculous battle with the rogue Dragoons and they were far from a legion anymore.

Kriss sat among this eclectic group, but he was apart from them. An outsider. He hadn’t been there for the destruction of the city or the struggle with the undead or the battle with the Cerberus. He would’ve been able to help Jack, he always had holy water and other curatives in his satchel just like they practiced in the Legion. He hoped he would see his brother soon. As he shook salt from a vial onto the gamey swine meat, he listened to the captain sing a sea shanty and watched as the man who had been skulking in the trees jumped down to join them.

He looked at the other young man’s helmet. An old Dragoon’s helmet. Kriss knew well enough that most Dragoons were noble warriors of the king, but it would always make him feel uneasy to see that silhouette that killed so many of his sworn brothers and sisters. The pirate finished his song and the woman Kriss had initially thought an exotic prostitute reminisced wistfully about it. He pushed down this solemn thoughts and brought his teeth together into a large, white grin.

Producing a skin from his satchel, he stood up with it in his hand. “Gather around, all those who desire some mirth with this meal! Grab a vial, a large leaf, or cup your hands! I have strong spirits, made in the cold north with strength to take down a behemoth!” He proceeded to uncork the skin and pour a large gulp down his throat, letting out a deep, satisfied “Ahh”.
                        Last edited by Tyler_D; September 10th, 2018, 07:49 AM.

Comment

The viking brought liquor. Blackrose just had this whole thing about alcohol so was she gonna drink more in spite of her self evaluation? OF COURSE WHY NOT. She held out her flask. "Yes please." she said bluntly. She'd just go easy with it. Little bits. Baby sips. Let it last.

Comment

Though Hellfish's song was quite licentious, Alistair could not help but bare a wide grin at the Captain's sudden desire to sing. The ranger was quite fond of a good song himself but had not a reason to even think about singing since he was at the bar in Puerto de Oro. That particular memory quickly made his smile fade away as his thoughts shifted from singing and drinking to the thousands of bodies that littered the streets and alleyways of the destroyed city. Dwelling on such things was not how Alistair hoped to spend the rest of his evening, so when Kriss produced a skin full of what he described as spirits with the "strength to take down a behemoth", the ranger was quick to accept. He dug around in his own satchel and quickly produced a small hand-carved cup, which he presented to the Viking. "I would not mind a splash if you do not mind sharing."

He gave Kriss a curt nod and preceded to down the contents quickly. It gave a satisfying burn as it made its way down his throat. The viking did not lie. Alistair was no teetotaler, however, just the single cup already had him feeling light-headed and unsteady on his feet. Of course he would ask for another round.

"This is a fine drink! Might I ask you for just one more, friend?" He smiled as he outstretched his cup.
                            Last edited by Cid; September 9th, 2018, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Honestly, Cayne had completely spaced out, ignoring the blathering of the surrounding crew in favor of his little mental world. Unfortunately, this led him to miss out on something vitality important, and he only refocused when he heard Hellfish call out regarding spirits. This was a bit more in the paladin’s alley, so he would ask for a cup as well, fashioning a leaf into a cup.

Originally posted by OrganizationXV

"Oh-a shiit!" Mario yells. "Ima gonna leave-a."

He runs away, arms out, then jumps like super high and you don't see him any more.

Comment

"Intimidation.", Luciano told Cirrus matter-of-factly as he grabbed an empty vial from the inside of his shirt. The flask of spirits was eventually passed to him, with which the young man filled his cup to the very brim before passing it to the next partaker. "Though I suppose the mask is also good for protection. I use a great deal of poisons in my work and it keeps the gases at bay." He took a large sip, and the strength of the alcohol caught him off guard. The male began coughing as the drink got the better of him. "My gods this drink is powerful!" He smiled at the viking before taking another drink.
                                Originally posted by Wade;n484984
                                As Bill Cosby once said, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

Comment

Cirrus took the flask and passed it on to the next person. He was too young to drink, but If anyone called him on it he would say he was going to take first watch. He wasn't sure what to make of what seemed to be his new assassin friend, but at this point did it even matter what his profession was? Probably not- he was also travelling with a gang leader and a pirate captain.

"Having a mask that blocks out gases would be nice," Cirrus mused as he looked at his own helmet, "Even if I don't work with poisons, it might keep the Captain's odors at bay." He finished this with a cheeky grin to Hellfish.
                                  Last edited by OrganizationXV; September 10th, 2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Blackrose let the spirits pour until her flask was full. It was her lucky night! She took a sip. "Oh, just divine." She took another. She smiled at the viking. "Sorry, what's your name? I've never tasted anything like this before."

Comment

[Forest of the Mist]

[A Meal before the Trial]

Grigor leaned against a tree, Fenrir laying at his side, with his pipe clenched firmly in his teeth. A small needle made from bone was being worked into his shirt. It now was a patchwork of cloth and strips of leather. Being from another colder and poorer place, the Beast Master would wear his belongings until they literally fell apart from use. A ring of berry scented smoke haloed the man’s head as he worked. All the while the wolf at his side eyed the bore as portions of it roasted over the open fire.

After the food finished cooking, Grigor moved a bit closer to the group as merriment was to be had with song and story. Some of the stories, however, lacked the merriment that had filled the meal until then. It was then saved by the pirate captain, who broke into song. The Beast Master lightly chuckled to himself while tearing a portion of meat to toss to Fenrir. Placing the chunk on the end of her snout he motions for her to wait. Finally, while exhaling a stream of smoke he nods, and the wolf flips the food into the air before gulping it down the following moment.

‘No thanks, but the offer is kind.’

Grigor passes the skin of alcohol back around. Yes, it was strange for the Beast Master to deny himself a good drink, but there was something about the feeling that clung to the air just beyond the reach of the glowing fire. Slipping his now patched shirt back on, he unsheathes his large knife and begins to methodically clean under his nails. One couldn’t be too relaxed in such a silent forest. The predator that is scaring the woods silent is still on the prowl, and Grigor hated that feeling that was still crawling up the base of his spine. He would be ready, his unease made sure of that.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                                        "Having a mask that blocks out gases would be nice," Cirrus mused as he looked at his own helmet, "Even if I don't work with poisons, it might keep the Captain's odors at bay." He finished this with a cheeky grin to Hellfish.
                                        "Thats the smell of life well lived ya' teetotaler" it is the Captains turn to partake of the spirits. "Strength to take down a behemoth, eh???" Hellfish does not grab a vile or a leaf or cup his hands, but swigs it straight and heavy. "Yar-har!!!! Thats the good shit!!!"

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                                        Cirrus took the flask and passed it on to the next person. He was too young to drink, but If anyone called him on it...
                                        Hellfish passes the drink back to Cirrus.

"Word of advise me boy--if we all die tomorrow, ya don't be the 'grot who spent his last night on Ivalice sober."
                                        Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; September 12th, 2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

"Tha Cap'n speak the truth, yar!" Blackrose slurred in an attempted pirate voice. Looks like she was already tipsy. "Don't skimp on yer drink lad! Lest ye be conscious when the beasties are eatin' yer guts!"

Comment

Working...
                                          X