The Hip-Hop and Rap Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post
    I have complained about this with both Pusha and Tech, it's a reason why they have a ceiling as an artist. Em on the other hand will sell major units regardless which is why people bring it up.
    Can't argue with this. Em has the biggest platform, so he's naturally attacks the most.

I mean Em hasn't promoted any of his artists, most people don't even know my man Boogie or Westside Gunn are on his label. He didn't do shit for D12 Royce is legit the only dude he works with and that is because they are friends. Joe never brought any of this stuff up because there was no point until Em decided he wanted to throw shots because people mocked his album that he admits was trash.

Joe is joe he admits a lot of that shit was his fault he just doesn't like the fact that even though they were all friends they sided with Em who wasn't doing shit for their carers instead of going indie which is where their fans are at in the first place. The fact of the mater is Joe Budden is making more money now then he ever did as a rapper because he was 100% correct in who Slaughterhouse's audience was, which is why he is selling out shows for a podcast. At the end of the day Slaughterhouse was a project for the people at Shady Records and they never treated it seriously or supported it the way they should have.
    Joe prospering outside of rap is irrelevant, that's great for him. The problem is the narrative Joe's painting beyond himself, he's making himself seem like this solo hero fighting against the industry when he fucked up a situation he could of fixed. He's dodging accountability for a trash album he was a part of. Slaughterhouse can be indie now, but Joe messed that up through lack of communication. This "I knew it was trash all along and I hated it" shit is some BS. No grown ass man should be able to say that shit without being called out about it. How can he think Eminem's Recovery & Relapse albums are trash in retrospect, but still let Em mastermind and album for them? The same man that dissed Wu Tang (or at-least Method Man) and Jay Z is all of a sudden too shook by Eminem to say he doesn't like some beats?

It's great that Joe can express him own opinion on his podcast, but lets not act like he's all of a sudden absolved of all blame for Slaughterhouse. Especially not when Crook is saying they had creative control with Shady funding for their next album but Joe just dipped. He's making it seem like the rest of the group seem like some capers for his own benefit.
    Last edited by PandaG; September 15th, 2018, 01:26 AM.
    Alright, now if I die today, bitch my legacy is straight
    I'm the best they never heard, I'm your brother, just relate

Comment

I can see where both guys are coming from. Joe is a sensitive dude, and had trust issues with major record labels and "white executives" taking creative control. In Em's case, he always sorta hated his fame, and is a bit of an introvert, so he probably didn't wanna do lot of public appearances, promotions etc for the group.

Comment

Yo have you heard of a Chicago rapper named Saba? Just heard his new project "Care for Me" then went back and listned to his old shit called "The Bucket list", dudes a beast.

Yeah, remeber him Chance's Album. I always thought he was part of Save Money .

He is nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Hank View Post
          I can see where both guys are coming from. Joe is a sensitive dude, and had trust issues with major record labels and "white executives" taking creative control. In Em's case, he always sorta hated his fame, and is a bit of an introvert, so he probably didn't wanna do lot of public appearances, promotions etc for the group.
          To be honest a group like that wasn't going to make it in that changing landscape anyways. That style of rap though I may love doesn't draw that massive of a crowd now. Shit Kendrick and Cole changed their flow styles several times to adapt. Unless you were a monster group already with a following before the guard change you werent going to make it. Joe himself talked about that fact prior to this beef shit.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5Frq4gbHY

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
            To be honest a group like that wasn't going to make it in that changing landscape anyways. That style of rap though I may love doesn't draw that massive of a crowd now. Shit Kendrick and Cole changed their flow styles several times to adapt. Unless you were a monster group already with a following before the guard change you werent going to make it. Joe himself talked about that fact prior to this beef shit.
            Agreed, and that was 5 years ago. Today the climate is even more vastly different. Hopefully they'll reunite one day and give us a mixtape as a passion project.

Comment

Originally posted by PandaG View Post

Can't argue with this. Em has the biggest platform, so he's naturally attacks the most.

Joe prospering outside of rap is irrelevant, that's great for him. The problem is the narrative Joe's painting beyond himself, he's making himself seem like this solo hero fighting against the industry when he fucked up a situation he could of fixed. He's dodging accountability for a trash album he was a part of. Slaughterhouse can be indie now, but Joe messed that up through lack of communication. This "I knew it was trash all along and I hated it" shit is some BS. No grown ass man should be able to say that shit without being called out about it. How can he think Eminem's Recovery & Relapse albums are trash in retrospect, but still let Em mastermind and album for them? The same man that dissed Wu Tang (or at-least Method Man) and Jay Z is all of a sudden too shook by Eminem to say he doesn't like some beats?

It's great that Joe can express him own opinion on his podcast, but lets not act like he's all of a sudden absolved of all blame for Slaughterhouse. Especially not when Crook is saying they had creative control with Shady funding for their next album but Joe just dipped. He's making it seem like the rest of the group seem like some capers for his own benefit.
              That's the point yaw are missing though he did say something to the actual members of Slaughterhouse and they ignored him, they didn't and still don't want to go indie even though Joel and Crooked I's careers are none existent. Hell he even played a snippet of a diss track he wrote for Em that they told him not to release when this was happening. We all know Joe is a fuck up but he was 100% right about them wasting their time with Em but them niggas was too scary to go solo.

Comment

That's the point yaw are missing though he did say something to the actual members of Slaughterhouse and they ignored him, they didn't and still don't want to go indie even though Joel and Crooked I's careers are none existent. Hell he even played a snippet of a diss track he wrote for Em that they told him not to release when this was happening. We all know Joe is a fuck up but he was 100% right about them wasting their time with Em but them niggas was too scary to go solo.
                I don't think this is about them being scared to go solo. They probably signed a 3 album deal with Shady, so while the others want to honor that and then leave, Joe doesn't. Because of that situation, I don't think it's as simple as them just leaving Shady unless they buy out their contracts or something. I dunno how it works, but they are still all signed to shady technically. That's why Joe leaving or not cooperating puts them in this weird limbo state where they can't do anything.

I can understand if Joe doesn't fuck with Shady, but as a fan, I'd honestly prefer if he put the fans before himself on this one. If the Slaughterhouse members had primary creative control as well as Just Blaze, AraabMuzik beats, I don't see how Glasshouse would fail. It was going to be miles better than their first album but we probably won't hear it.

Comment

I don't think this is about them being scared to go solo. They probably signed a 3 album deal with Shady, so while the others want to honor that and then leave, Joe doesn't. Because of that situation, I don't think it's as simple as them just leaving Shady unless they buy out their contracts or something. I dunno how it works, but they are still all signed to shady technically. That's why Joe leaving or not cooperating puts them in this weird limbo state where they can't do anything.

I can understand if Joe doesn't fuck with Shady, but as a fan, I'd honestly prefer if he put the fans before himself on this one. If the Slaughterhouse members had primary creative control as well as Just Blaze, AraabMuzik beats, I don't see how Glasshouse would fail. It was going to be miles better than their first album but we probably won't hear it.
                  Both Joe and Em have stated that Slaughtherhouse didn't make any money, I get that as a fan all anyone cares about is the music but put yourself in his shoes. Imagine you are 40 something years old with a wife and kid and you haven't made any money from making music for a decade, now imagine you talk to your fellow group member and say "Yo maybe this label isn't for us" and them niggas ignore you and want you to keep doing the same shit that has your pockets empty. Thats why earlier I brought up Joe having success with his Podcast and now having deals with Revolt and Spotify, because he knew who their market was and the rest of them just wanted to follow Em.

Comment

Both Joe and Em have stated that Slaughtherhouse didn't make any money, I get that as a fan all anyone cares about is the music but put yourself in his shoes. Imagine you are 40 something years old with a wife and kid and you haven't made any money from making music for a decade, now imagine you talk to your fellow group member and say "Yo maybe this label isn't for us" and them niggas ignore you and want you to keep doing the same shit that has your pockets empty. Thats why earlier I brought up Joe having success with his Podcast and now having deals with Revolt and Spotify, because he knew who their market was and the rest of them just wanted to follow Em.
                    Listening to Joe's podcast, Crooked's instagram live video, and Em's interview with Sway. Joe should had heart to heart with Em tho, if he felt some type of way. I get that, he was mad about choice of beats from the first album, and Em putting final touches on the album, but on the second album, they were gonna get full creative control. It all boils down to lack of communication, ego etc

Comment

If you 30 something and your rap career hasnt popped off after a decade of rapping. You need to hang that shit up. Royce the most successful after all that still only have a relatively moderate success. He stays with Em at the hip. So what does that tell you? Not only that how long is that form of success going to last? Joe actually had the right idea quitting. Granted he stumbled into his success but slaughter house was kinda over when it started. Its best times were mixtapes. Everybody involved with the project was too out of touch with the changing industry. Including Joe who once again says that all time prior to the beef.

Comment

A lot of artists are fine having niche fanbases. And I can respect an artists who enjoys the craft and continues to put out music despite not blowing up, per say.

Infact, a lot of the best artists are of this type.

Slaughterhouse didn't recoup on the album, but most artists money comes from touring, I feel like that's been known about the music business for a while know. Along with how artists are short changed for money through streaming services, it's really about whether or not you enjoy making the music a lot of the time. The main problem is that Shady funded the Glass-house album which the Slaughterhouse members, not Em, had creative control over, but it only hasn't been completed because of communication & scheduling conflicts between the group.

Podcasts have been blowing up in general over the past couple of years, it really has nothing to do with knowing who Slaughterhouse's market is. Joe's been on the radio as well, a lot of people who disliked Joe as a rapper like him as a media personality, mainly because of his aggressive or confrontational tone at times. It's the same reason why Everyday Struggle blew up, he's a Charlamange type that attracts attention due to his personality. AI don't think that has anything to do with Slaughterhouse.

I feel like you're leaning too heavily on Joe's opinion here. It's real easy for him to portray himself a certain way, and he's a good speaker, this is why his podcast is popular. But unless we hear everyone side, it's dangerous to take what Joe said as a gospel truth.
                        Last edited by PandaG; September 16th, 2018, 12:20 AM.

Comment

A lot of artists are fine having niche fanbases. And I can respect an artists who enjoys the craft and continues to put out music despite not blowing up, per say.

Slaughterhouse didn't recoup on the album, but most artists money comes from touring, I feel like that's been known about the music business for a while know. Along with how artists are short changed for money through streaming services, it's really about whether or not you enjoy making the music a lot of the time. The main problem is that Shady funded the Glass-house album which the Slaughterhouse members, not Em, had creative control over, but it only hasn't been completed because of communication & scheduling conflicts between the group.

Podcasts have been blowing up in general over the past couple of years, it really has nothing to do with knowing who Slaughterhouse's market is. Joe's been on the radio as well, a lot of people who disliked Joe as a rapper like him as a media personality, mainly because of his aggressive or confrontational tone at times. It's the same reason why Everyday Struggle blew up, he's a Charlamange type that attracts attention due to his personality. AI don't think that has anything to do with Slaughterhouse.

I feel like you're leaning too heavily on Joe's opinion here. It's real easy for him to portray himself a certain way, and he's a good speaker, this is why his podcast is popular. But unless we hear everyone side, it's dangerous to take what Joe said as a gospel truth.
                          Right but they were all solo touring because they all made their money off their solo projects, I mean it's hard to tell someone "come get in the studio to make an album, best case scenario if it works out you will make 1/4th of what you normally make". I side with Joe because Joe has always kept it 100. He doesn't pretend like he isn't a fuck up who has ruined every situation he has been in, he admits that. His only issue is with the fact that Em and the label made them use production that didn't fit them to try and make them mainstream and the fact that everyone was pretending like they didn't see an issue with not making any money after a decade. At the end of the day Slaughterhouse was a failed experiment, if you want to hear Eminem's side he has interviews out with Sway.

Comment

You are right there is nothing wrong with being a niche artist. I just feel most of the people involved in slaughterhouse would even know how to do it at the time. Royce just now getting successful with that route..

Comment

Royce being more successful now doesn't mean he wasn't comfortable being a niche artist though. Whether it was successful or not, Slaughterhouse did put people on to the individual members of the group. I honestly didn't know Royce before that and Bad Meets Evil: Hell the Sequel. But that's also because I wasn't as much of a Hip-Hop head until 2010.

Right but they were all solo touring because they all made their money off their solo projects, I mean it's hard to tell someone "come get in the studio to make an album, best case scenario if it works out you will make 1/4th of what you normally make". I side with Joe because Joe has always kept it 100. He doesn't pretend like he isn't a fuck up who has ruined every situation he has been in, he admits that. His only issue is with the fact that Em and the label made them use production that didn't fit them to try and make them mainstream and the fact that everyone was pretending like they didn't see an issue with not making any money after a decade. At the end of the day Slaughterhouse was a failed experiment, if you want to hear Eminem's side he has interviews out with Sway.

This is my main problem with Joe and most of his arguments. All of this "we'll make less money as a group" shit was obvious from the jump. The entire point of group work is lessening the effort each member has to put in while splitting the money. You know you aren't going to make as much money because you aren't going to do as much work. Why even bother signing the deal when you know this will be the case? Retroactively complaining about it just means you were dumb for signing in the first place. I feel the same way about the Em shit, and it's probably in part why Joe said later that his issue's with Em are business related, not creatively, because Em himself was more than willing to step back and let the group do their shit, which he was doing for Glasshouse.

From what I've heard about the Glasshouse project, it probably would've been dope. It's unfortunate we won't hear it, but whatever.

Comment

Royce being more successful now doesn't mean he wasn't comfortable being a niche artist though. Whether it was successful or not, Slaughterhouse did put people on to the individual members of the group. I honestly didn't know Royce before that and Bad Meets Evil: Hell the Sequel. But that's also because I wasn't as much of a Hip-Hop head until 2010.

This is my main problem with Joe and most of his arguments. All of this "we'll make less money as a group" shit was obvious from the jump. The entire point of group work is lessening the effort each member has to put in while splitting the money. You know you aren't going to make as much money because you aren't going to do as much work. Why even bother signing the deal when you know this will be the case? Retroactively complaining about it just means you were dumb for signing in the first place. I feel the same way about the Em shit, and it's probably in part why Joe said later that his issue's with Em are business related, not creatively, because Em himself was more than willing to step back and let the group do their shit, which he was doing for Glasshouse.

From what I've heard about the Glasshouse project, it probably would've been dope. It's unfortunate we won't hear it, but whatever.

He was fine with making 1/4th, they literally made no money. 1/4th of zero is still zero.

Comment

First commercial albums are historically not money making albums for artist. These new artist now have new avenues of making money besides album sales. Which is why they are laced.Touring was supposed to be their bread. Honestly not sure how you complain about a lifestyle that is known to be harsh. Even if you get a buzz its hard to eat. Joe was looking for the homerun that never happened.

On a seperate note Royce album is my favorite album this year.

Comment

First commercial albums are historically not money making albums for artist. These new artist now have new avenues of making money besides album sales. Which is why they are laced.Touring was supposed to be their bread. Honestly not sure how you complain about a lifestyle that is known to be harsh. Even if you get a buzz its hard to eat. Joe was looking for the homerun that never happened.

On a seperate note Royce album is my favorite album this year.
                                    Royce, Jay Rock and this dude Saba that I just heard have my favorite albums of the year. K.O.D was cool but Cole didn't really kill it, Pusha was cool but the shit is over by the time you get to the end of the block.

Comment

Royce, Jay Rock and this dude Saba that I just heard have my favorite albums of the year. K.O.D was cool but Cole didn't really kill it, Pusha was cool but the shit is over by the time you get to the end of the block.
                                      I didnt like KOD. Especially since I heard Cole going off of that bobblow track with Royce. I was like where was that nigga at on KOD. Pusha came and went because of that fuck shit Kanye did with 7 tracks. I wonder what person actually paid for that. The album just from the 7 tracks could have been a goat album if more was put on. Jay Rock definitely had a solid album. The secondary to the mainstream counterparts putting out the best albums.

Comment

I didnt like KOD. Especially since I heard Cole going off of that bobblow track with Royce. I was like where was that nigga at on KOD. Pusha came and went because of that fuck shit Kanye did with 7 tracks. I wonder what person actually paid for that. The album just from the 7 tracks could have been a goat album if more was put on. Jay Rock definitely had a solid album. The secondary to the mainstream counterparts putting out the best albums.
                                        Honestly it's just the production on that K.O.D album, dude is obviously an amazing producer but most of the time he gets on other peoples beats he sounds great.

Comment

J Cole's definitely gotten a bit too comfortable rapping over his own production. K.O.D isn't bad to me at all, but I understand were people are coming from. Seems like The Off Season will be a change of pace from that though.

Noname's album is pretty solid, just came out Friday. Album's a bit short (35 mins) and she has a Chance type rapping style which takes some getting use to, but I think it's pretty dope overall. Ace w/ Smino & Saba is probably me fav track.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                          Auto-Saved
                                          x
                                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                          Working...
                                          X