100 Movie Challenge: Watch 100 movies by 12:00AM Janurary 1st 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Movie Challenge: Watch 100 movies by 12:00AM Janurary 1st 2020

Was thinking about this for a few weeks now and this site really needs some discussion, so I thought this was something nice to introduce. Starting tomorrow, October 1st, you have to watch movie upon movie by January 1st, 2020.

Rules:
    1.) You have to watch the whole movie, but you can generally skip commercials and credits
    2. You can speed up the movie, but only to a degree where everything is still understandable and you can follow specifics.
    3.) You have to list every movie you watch and plan to watch. Preferably 5-10 per post. Optional, but a little discussion about the film is encouraged.
    4.) YOU, as in the you reading this have to watch the movie yourself, not your brother, not your mom, not your girl, etc.
    5.) Movies do not count until the start of the challenge. Once the challenge starts, all movies, even ones you've seen before are free game. But you have to rewatch the movie still.

(I reserve the right to update rules)

Optional hard mode: If you see a movie that you were planning on watching in the page your post will be on (Ex. Say two post have Black Panther on the same page), the later person should watch something else instead of that movie. This is to encourage experimentation. If your post is on the next page, you will be free to watch that movie.

Whoever manages to successfully complete the challenge first will win $10 on Paypal. ( Yes, I know that the cash is low, but this is a just for fun sort of thing, and there is no way to disprove someone who just fast forwarded to the end and got the timestamp that way. This makes it so no one would reasonably waste their time with this unless they were doing it for fun.

Prize Money Rules
    1. You have to provide a title of the movie and a timestamp
    2. You won't receive the money until the end of the competition
    3.) You have to be logged in for every post update/new post
    4.) You also must follow what is listed in the above Rules.

In terms of strictness, you can miss a few, but generally you should have timestamps for a majority of the movies. (By timestamp, I mean a picture of the credits along with the date and username on a piece of paper in the picture

Anyway way my haul is as follows.

1.) Aliens
    2.) Brightburn
    3.) Hereditary
    4.) The Mist
    5.) From Dusk till Dawn
    Last edited by Zemoco; September 30th, 2019, 12:39 PM.

Not even I have that much free time... And I usually watch 3-4 movies a week, if not more.
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
    Check me out on Twitch @https://www.twitch.tv/mothmageculpa/

Comment

Originally posted by Culpa the Moth Mage View Post
      Not even I have that much free time... And I usually watch 3-4 movies a week, if not more.
      It's expected that most people won't.

I know I won't make it.

But still, it's fun to see how far you'll get.

Comment

Though tbh, it's still doable, especially towards the end of November and Decemer most people will have a shit ton of free time.

Comment

It's totally doable, but it's only around 2-3 movies a day. I might have done it last year. Hell, I usually watch most, if not all, of the Godzilla movies in December in the background of what I'm doing. That's like 40 movies right there xD
          I'm just trying to cut down on my media intake and focus on creating lately xD This seems counterproductive to that cause >.> lol
          Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
          Check me out on Twitch @https://www.twitch.tv/mothmageculpa/

Comment

I wouldn't even finish downloading all those movies by the deadline

Comment

Just watch a movie a day starting from January 1st, that's a doable enough challenge
              I don't think there are 200 movies I want to watch lmao
              Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
              Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

At the time of this post, it's past 12, so the challenge started. Remember, even if you think there's no way to complete it, that doesn't mean you can't at least try.

Anyway, after work, I'll give Aliens a watch, and at least try to get through maybe about half of Brightburn.

Comment

I know I'll never succeed, but with the backlog that I have, I might as well keep track as I go.

Do movies that you've seen before count? Does a certain amount of time need to pass between watches for them to count?

Comment

The Third Man
                    Memories of Murder
                    The Fountain
                    The Nice Guys
                    You Were Never Really Here
                    the last 2 I've been meaning to watch for 2 years now.

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
                    Just watch a movie a day starting from January 1st, that's a doable enough challenge
                    I don't think there are 200 movies I want to watch lmao
                    >he doesn't have a wishlist with enough entries to last him a decade

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
                      I know I'll never succeed, but with the backlog that I have, I might as well keep track as I go.

Do movies that you've seen before count? Does a certain amount of time need to pass between watches for them to count?
                      You can watch any movie, provided it's at least feature length. Even movies you've seen before are free game.

Also, it's fine if you never succeed. I don't expect anyone too. Even if someone only watched 10 movies by the deadline they can still participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Louay View Post
                        The Third Man
                        Memories of Murder
                        The Fountain
                        The Nice Guys
                        You Were Never Really Here
                        the last 2 I've been meaning to watch for 2 years now.

>he doesn't have a wishlist with enough entries to last him a decade
                        The Nice Guys was good.

YWNRH was boring as hell.

Anyway, starting Aliens.

Also, feel free to comment your thoughts as you watch.
                        Last edited by Zemoco; October 1st, 2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

You know, though people say that Aliens is the actiony sequel to Alien, it is quite slow, slower than I remember Alien being.
                          The pacing is well done though.

Comment

Yesterday I watched the M. Night Shyamalan movie "Split".

Not bad, really. Reminds me of 6 Souls in a way, but the back third of the movie wasn't garbage.
                            Originally posted by Wade
                            Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

• Zemoco
                              Zemoco commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I've been meaning to see that. Will get to it once I finish my first 5.

I'll use this post to list my progress.

Thar's 200 Movie Challenge Log:

1. Citizen Kane - 10/2/2019
                            2. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - 10/3/19
                            3. El Camino - 10/15/2019
                            4. Clerks - 10/20/2019
                            5. Beetlejuice - 10/21/2019
                            6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 10/25/2019
                            7. Fiddler on the Roof - 10/26/2019
                            8. Shaun of the Dead - 10/27/2019
                            9. Kong: Skull Island (2017) - 11/2/2019
                            10. Joker - 11/3/2019

new entries will be listed in bold.
                            any bold entries will be unformatted upon newer entries being added.

I'll be starting this list with Citizen Kane, because being at the top of the list of greatest movies of all time has gotta be the biggest peak to my curiosity for pretty much anything.

Thoughts: Had I not been spoiled on the entire point of the movie, this would've been an interesting ride. Nevertheless, these oldies never fail to make me giddy with the writing and delivery of the acting at the time. As for the movie itself, it feels a lot like a mystery, which I like. The tedious but gradually revealing process of gathering information to find the meaning of Kane's single dying word is quite the pitch, and even though I already know what Rosebud is, watching the whole thing unfold, along with the life of Kane himself, is in itself quite the experience.
                            Last edited by Thar; November 4th, 2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Zemoco
                              Zemoco commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Why such movies on vastly different spectrums lol.

• Thar
                              Thar commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Why not?

This challenge isn't impossible, but it's highly improbable. Assuming an average runtime of 90 minutes, you'd have to watch a bit over two movies a day on average, which would leave little to no room for other leisurely pursuits. That having been said: I'll still participate just for the hell of it, though I won't bother with timestamps for "proof" because there's no way I'm hitting 200.

1. Citizen Kane - 10/2/2019
                            Really shouldn't have done that, tbh. Now, you're just gonna subconsciously hold all subsequent movies up to an unrealistic standard.
                            Last edited by Lord L'Zoril; October 3rd, 2019, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord L'Zoril View Post
                              Really shouldn't have done that, tbh. Now, you're just gonna subconsciously hold all subsequent movies up to an unrealistic standard.
                              Oh believe me I know, but I have the gift of turning my brain off while watching said movies, so I'll be fine.

EDIT:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - 10/3/19

Being a 90's kid and coming across ERB's portrayal of them against Lewis and Clark, I figured I'd give it a shot. As expected, this movie reeks of 90's charm and it was quite entertaining. Not to mention, even after all this time, Keanu Reeves hasn't aged a bit. I'll definitely be checking out the sequel, and since there's a third one coming out next year, I can't help but be curious about that one as well.
                              Last edited by Thar; October 3rd, 2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Lord L'Zoril
                                Lord L'Zoril commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Fair enough.

Oh believe me I know, but I have the gift of turning my brain off while watching said movies, so I'll be fine.

EDIT:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - 10/3/19

Being a 90's kid and coming across ERB's portrayal of them against Lewis and Clark, I figured I'd give it a shot. As expected, this movie reeks of 90's charm and it was quite entertaining. Not to mention, even after all this time, Keanu Reeves hasn't aged a bit. I'll definitely be checking out the sequel, and since there's a third one coming out next year, I can't help but be curious about that one as well.
                              How the FUCK did Bill and Ted get a third movie coming out in 2019? Lmao
                              Originally posted by Wade
                              Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

• Thar
                                Thar commented
                                Editing a comment
                                They actually had a script written in 2010, but they couldn't find a distributor to back production until last year, and it's currently in production as of a couple months ago.
                                Last edited by Thar; October 3rd, 2019, 11:54 AM.

• Thar
                                Thar commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Now that I think about it, I think it might be Keanu's recent spike in publicity due to recent roles he's in that made distributors think it'd be a good idea. Not sure, though.

1. The Nun

I went in fully expecting it to be shit like the Insidious sequel, but I was pleasantly mistaken. Narrative outside of the lore was admittedly a bit weaker than that of the previous film; however, the atmosphere was far darker. Younger Farmiga girl may not be her sister, per se, though she still gave a compelling performance.
                              Last edited by Lord L'Zoril; October 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Alright off to a late start. Finished Aliens. Preferred Alien, but there was a lot to like. So many lines in the movie have become cliches lol.

1.) Aliens
                                2.) Shaun of the Dead
                                3.)Brightburn

Comment

Working...
                                X