El Camino(Breaking Bad sequel movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
    It was an ok movie. The scene when Todd came to get Jessie out the cage made me laugh. I thought he was about to rape him for a second the way they phrased that scene. “My uncles not here it’s just you and me” Todd sounded like a child molester lol
    He's an unnerving character in general, I'm sure that was on purpose
    Originally posted by Wade
    Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
      He's an unnerving character in general, I'm sure that was on purpose
      Yeah even when he killed the maid if they didn’t explain the reason. I would have thought it was some serial killer shit lol

Comment

Yeah even when he killed the maid if they didn’t explain the reason. I would have thought it was some serial killer shit lol
        The reason he gave was that she found his money. The reason he thought that was worth death is because of who he is: First of all, he was raised to not have a conscience by meth-dealing neo-nazis, and second of all he's at least mildly retarded. He's not gonna think of any better solution than the one that immediately came to mind
        Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
          The reason he gave was that she found his money. The reason he thought that was worth death is because of who he is: First of all, he was raised to not have a conscience by meth-dealing neo-nazis, and second of all he's at least mildly retarded. He's not gonna think of any better solution than the one that immediately came to mind
          I understand that. My point was before they went in depth with it came off as him just being pure crazy vs just a rational killer. Look like he killed the maid for the fuck of it lol
          Last edited by 40 acres; October 20th, 2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I understand that. My point was before they went in depth with it came off as him just being pure crazy vs just a rational killer. Look like he killed the maid for the duck of it lol
            Yeah, that came out of nowhere lol. And yet... it's still totally on-brand for that psychopath lol.

Comment

Tyler_D and I had a pretty long conversation about Todd after watch the movie. lol.

I don't think he's mildly retarded though, he's a sociopath and he speaks slowly. I never got the vibe that there anything wrong with his mental faculties.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                Tyler_D and I had a pretty long conversation about Todd after watch the movie. lol.

I don't think he's mildly retarded though, he's a sociopath and he speaks slowly. I never got the vibe that there anything wrong with his mental faculties.
                I guess not, maybe, but I feel like there's something wrong with him. He didn't seem to understand the level of danger he was in when Jesse had the gun on him, for instance. He asked a guy stuck in a hole what he thought the weather was gonna be like.

Besides, he did have at least some semblance of empathy, I think. he was treating Jesse like a pet (I think he literally said "I gotta take better care of you" when they were going over the pressure hose thing), and other times he tried to be friendly. I don't think he would've been attached to lydia so much either, if he was a sociopath.

Comment

Watched the thing to kill my curiosity

Eh

Gotta be honest...unnecessary, tbh. Unnecessary, the first half felt pretty aimless and the second half contrived, the dialogue was whatever...Yea, not a fan tbh lol...

6/10 from me. Not terrible, but just...lackluster. Without the preceding series, this film would have been pretty vacuous and that 6 would have been a 1. The fanservice was expected, but I really thought Vince might have still put some effort towards an interesting story of some substance. Nope, just cameos cobbled together over a...crime drama story, question mark?

Lol....honestly, this film answered nothing for me, except that Jesse is in Alaska. Great. But what is his new life like, and how is he dealing with all the crazy shit that went down? This is just my opinion, but I wish Vince would have started the film from the point after Jesse arrives in Alaska. Y'know, get a few flashbacks on that 40-mile drive that summarizes what happened in El Camino, watch him build his new identity and struggle with his old demons. Definitely keep the Todd bits in there and expound upon them in further detail, that was actually the one part of the movie I liked - watching Jesse struggle with his Stockholm syndrome, that was brutal, Vince needs to stick to character-driven things like that, they are what his team are most adept to. That is why Better Call Saul is OBJECTIVELY BETTER than Breaking Bad, and fight me in real life if you think otherwise.

Overall, as a follow-up to BB, 6/10. This movie answered none of my questions, the dialogue was droll even for a movie, and the plot felt more like Vince was noodling around than he was working with any focus in mind besides how it was going to end, thereby leading to a thoroughly aimless story with cameos littered about. The only good point was Todd....lol....we got more insight into the kind of person he is, where he'll kill a person even if he likes them because of a twisted sense of duty to uphold for the sake of his safety and those of his Nazi contemporaries. He showed a faint sense of remorse, and even had the idea that he should say a kind word or two for his murdered housekeeper. And when Jesse went and found a gun....he showed no fear. He understood what Jesse meant to do and why....and yet he was not scared. It's because Todd is a true-born psychopath. He understands that there are rules in society, both legal and moral, and violating them might put you in a situation where you might be jailed or killed. He understands this, just as he understands that when someone close to you dies, it's a gesture of respect to say some kind words about them. And that is what made that whole scene sooooo chilling....honestly, to me that was the climax of that movie, with Jesse folding and handing over the gun because...God, it just really punctuates the terrible, terrible things he must have endured with Todd. All that awful torture, shit that's so bad Jesse was so broken that he couldn't find the spirit to kill his captor.

Man...if this film had been about [/i]that[i], about Jesse discovering what it meant to be a monster and understanding that he's not one of them through the choices he makes in his new life, I would have liked this film a whole lot more even if the dialogue had still been pretty flat.....But instead we got 'splosions and guns, and succesfully getting away from the world's worst police force when you are walking around in broad daylight in the state you are believed to be in for, like, a week without any of them seeing you. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    Eh

Gotta be honest...unnecessary, tbh. Unnecessary, the first half felt pretty aimless and the second half contrived, the dialogue was whatever...Yea, not a fan tbh lol...

6/10 from me. Not terrible, but just...lackluster. Without the preceding series, this film would have been pretty vacuous and that 6 would have been a 1. The fanservice was expected, but I really thought Vince might have still put some effort towards an interesting story of some substance. Nope, just cameos cobbled together over a...crime drama story, question mark?
                    That's fair. Seeing as I'm biased for Jesse (especially after what he's been through), seeing at least SOME closure with him was enough for me. Unnecessary? Sure, but does that matter? lol we got more BB stuff and it's enough for the monkey-brained buffoons like myself to eat up, so I certainly ain't complaining. lmao

One thing, however, I've recently found myself doing with movies and shows and stuff is watching them with a shut-down brain just to absorb it for what it is and then coming out of it with retrospective critical absorption with whatever I come across from others. A prime example is a review by a Youtuber named MauLer and this 6-hour critique he made on The Last Jedi. In this case, however, it's what you've just posted. While I got my own biased and easily-entertained mind satisfied with something at face value, getting a deeper perspective from a critical standpoint is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine.

The scenes with Jesse and Todd were definitely the highlights of the movie, despite only being flashbacks. They felt a lot more like the Vince that we know and love. The rest, I somewhat agree. Just Jesse stumbling with minimal street smarts and somehow getting away with everything he needed because plot armor is some good stuff. Next thing you know he just ended up doing what Walter did, the only difference being he doesn't have an expiration date to rely on to just say "fuck it" and return home to wave his dick around where he's most wanted and then drop dead with a middle finger up to the law.

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                    That is why Better Call Saul is OBJECTIVELY BETTER than Breaking Bad, and fight me in real life if you think otherwise.
                    After finishing Season 3, I gotta say I agree. Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows of all time, but BCS managed to take most of the action out and still make an equally great show just from character development alone. Hell, Chuck's arc alone was enough to make it stand out, but we also have the MC Jimmy taking the spotlight with some pretty top-notch personality, and then there's Mike's starkingly contrasting parallel to the whole thing. It's a very nice balance, and I'm not even fully caught up yet (because fuck paying $20 for one season.)

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post

That's fair. Seeing as I'm biased for Jesse (especially after what he's been through), seeing at least SOME closure with him was enough for me. Unnecessary? Sure, but does that matter? lol we got more BB stuff and it's enough for the monkey-brained buffoons like myself to eat up, so I certainly ain't complaining. lmao

One thing, however, I've recently found myself doing with movies and shows and stuff is watching them with a shut-down brain just to absorb it for what it is and then coming out of it with retrospective critical absorption with whatever I come across from others. A prime example is a review by a Youtuber named MauLer and this 6-hour critique he made on The Last Jedi. In this case, however, it's what you've just posted. While I got my own biased and easily-entertained mind satisfied with something at face value, getting a deeper perspective from a critical standpoint is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine.

The scenes with Jesse and Todd were definitely the highlights of the movie, despite only being flashbacks. They felt a lot more like the Vince that we know and love. The rest, I somewhat agree. Just Jesse stumbling with minimal street smarts and somehow getting away with everything he needed because plot armor is some good stuff. Next thing you know he just ended up doing what Walter did, the only difference being he doesn't have an expiration date to rely on to just say "fuck it" and return home to wave his dick around where he's most wanted and then drop dead with a middle finger up to the law.

After finishing Season 3, I gotta say I agree. Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows of all time, but BCS managed to take most of the action out and still make an equally great show just from character development alone. Hell, Chuck's arc alone was enough to make it stand out, but we also have the MC Jimmy taking the spotlight with some pretty top-notch personality, and then there's Mike's starkingly contrasting parallel to the whole thing. It's a very nice balance, and I'm not even fully caught up yet (because fuck paying $20 for one season.)
                      I was never really able to turn my thinking off that much tbh. It's gotten me into trouble numerous times lol, I just can't do it. I mean, the concept of 'fun' is not lost on me, i watch japanese autism cartoons so of course i get it, but I need to have some degree of substance to keep me happy and this film just didn't provide that for me outside of the Todd flashbacks. It was like the BB equivalent of your average harem anime, where the contrived-as-all-heck plot exists solely to bring in as many lewd moments with as many Z-cup highschoolers as possible.

I'll give you an example: the safe with the guns, and everything thereafter. Ok, so....Jesse is America's most wanted criminal, undoubtedly. Walter White/Heisenberg is dead, Gus Fring is dead, the Nazis are dead, Skyler is accounted for and under close watch. There is no one else except maybe Mike, but Mike's trail has been cold for several months at this point (because he's dead, lol) and the police know that Jesse was a close associate of Walt and that he's probably broke and running around the state....how the ffffffffFFFFFFUCK did he get into the house of his parents?? A phone call was all it took to divert their attention, really?! After they already had Walter sneak in to Skyler's closely watched home to deliver the coordinates to Hank and Steve's bodies?!

Completely contrived.

Alright, so that's already pretty unbelievable, but there's also the existence of this backup key that's just lying around conveniently for Jesse to access the house and get to the conveniently existing safe - the key combination for which he just happens to know because his parents are so heavily afflicted with dementia that the only key combination they could ever remember was a birthdate that even Jesse knew - and thus retrieving the two guns, one of which was a .22 and the other a snub so as to allow Jesse the perfect circumstances for a life-and-death gamble to get the money he needs to pay the Hoover max guy.

seriously, "contrived" doesn't even begin to describe what I've just written, lol.

So...after these stars are all finished aligning, Jesse goes to the welding guys' place of work, where everyone happens to be for some reason instead of having their party in the comfort of one of their houses. The thing ends, Jesse goes in and doesn't get shot even after disclosing where his money is, and instead the other guy randomly decides to have a showdown, to which Jesse responds: "Like the wild west."

It was at this point in the movie where I started laughing hysterically at 3 AM in the morning.

Predictably, Jesse wins because he was hiding the snub in the pocket in which he had strategically placed his hand into, then kills the other guy after a brief shootout. And...that's it. I mean, technically other stuff happens, but that was supposed to be the climactic point of the movie. Jesus, at 3 AM I'm tired as all heck, my brain shouldn't have been working for at least another 5 hours, and yet I just couldn't get over how obviously manufactured this whole thing was, lol. Maybe that's just more a testament to how round-the-clock my OCD is instead of how good or bad this film was, idk, but I just couldn't get into it.

I have alot of thoughts on this film, lol...it had its good points, but there is too much I took issue with. Maybe I should make a Youtube video.

Comment

Damn niggas still write walls of text on 2019 lol

Comment

Working...
                        X