Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC's Swamp Thing cancelled after 1 episode...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC's Swamp Thing cancelled after 1 episode...

... citing "creative differences."
    You can't make this shit up, the state of this company lol. And they were just starting to dethrone Marvel in the TV show department...

What kind of "creative differences" are we talking here...?

(I have a sneaking suspicion, but...just to be sure...)

Comment

• Louay
      Louay commented
      Editing a comment
      No one knows

Oof

Comment

It doesn't matter, once Disney gets their streaming service working they are going to destroy the competition. I expect a minimum of 5 new Marvel shows and if they are on the level of season 1 Punisher or Daredevil it's a wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post
        It doesn't matter, once Disney gets their streaming service working they are going to destroy the competition. I expect a minimum of 5 new Marvel shows and if they are on the level of season 1 Punisher or Daredevil it's a wrap.
        It will be at least a few years before any of the characters from the Netflix series come back, this was their chance to get a foothold in the market, and we know that no major capeshit TV shows will come at launch with Disney+. I may be a bit biased here but a faithful adaptation of Swamp Thing would top anything they may be preparing, as the quality of most Marvel shows tends to fall off after the first season. And from the pilot, it looked like it was going in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Louay View Post

It will be at least a few years before any of the characters from the Netflix series come back, this was their chance to get a foothold in the market, and we know that no major capeshit TV shows will come at launch with Disney+. I may be a bit biased here but a faithful adaptation of Swamp Thing would top anything they may be preparing, as the quality of most Marvel shows tends to fall off after the first season. And from the pilot, it looked like it was going in the right direction.
          I would be shocked if this were true, Disney + is trying to compete with Netflix there will be a huge amount of original content at launch. I'm bored of cape shows in general but I have no doubt that Disney is going to drop some gems to get people to buy in.

Comment

"Creative differences"

More like "the government wouldn't give us enough money."

Though had I known it was being filmed in Wilmington, NC I would've applied to be an extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
              "Creative differences"

More like "the government wouldn't give us enough money."

Though had I known it was being filmed in Wilmington, NC I would've applied to be an extra.
              Pretty much this. I read it was canceled because the cost of the show was getting out of control. Not the first time a show has been killed because of that factor. They were talking like 85 mil was being spent in the article I read.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

Pretty much this. I read it was canceled because the cost of the show was getting out of control. Not the first time a show has been killed because of that factor. They were talking like 85 mil was being spent in the article I read.
                Also a lot of miscommunication. Something about misinformed budget limits, tax rebates, sudden production cuts, etc. Sounds like quite a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post

Also a lot of miscommunication. Something about misinformed budget limits, tax rebates, sudden production cuts, etc. Sounds like quite a mess.
                  Those budgets be serious. That is why you start seeing shows going from having good quality special effects to struggle effects.

Comment

I would be shocked if this were true, Disney + is trying to compete with Netflix there will be a huge amount of original content at launch. I'm bored of cape shows in general but I have no doubt that Disney is going to drop some gems to get people to buy in.
                    With the service launching in 5 months we would have at least hear about a major cape show in production, it would be the perfect way to promote it, but we haven't. I also remember hearing about how they initial catalogue will consist of family shows and older content. No doubt they're going to make their own cape shows until they get the rights back for Daredevil and co. but I reckon it'll have to wait to early 2020 at the least.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
                      What kind of "creative differences" are we talking here...?

(I have a sneaking suspicion, but...just to be sure...)
                      They don't have the money to do as much as they wanted

Comment

That's a shame.

Comment

It's not really 'cancelled' or after 1 episode... They chose not to renew for a second season because of some accounting issues.
                          The show went way over budget, thinking they were getting more back from NC.

Production got cut from 13 episodes to 10, but that happened months ago, they've already rewritten the ending for the new episode line. All 10 episodes are expected to air.

What the headlines SHOULD be reading is 'Swamp Thing Not Getting Picked Up For Season 2'. But the word Cancelled is a huge buzz word that pulls in readers, so of course they're going to use it incorrectly.

The only DC show that was ever truly cancelled IIRC is Powerless.

There have been a few unfortunate times shows weren't picked up when the showrunners were almost certain they would be, so the ending for the show is a complete mess. But that's not really a cancellation.

Now, if they only aired the pilot and nothing else... Then it would be cancelled.

But they spent 50mil over budget and the product is finished. I doubt the execs are going to take that huge loss. Push out the completed product and hope that you make some of your money back.
                          Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
                          Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
                          PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 75 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

Originally posted by Louay View Post
                            starting to dethrone Marvel in the TV show department...
                            Arrow will have been on-air for eight years in a few months though. At this point, Oliver's arrowhead is a standalone character with better characterization than most others'. :o

if they are on the level of season 1 Punisher or Daredevil it's a wrap.
                            The sophomore seasons of those very shows couldn't reach the heights of their freshman ones, lol. Incidentally, S3 of JJ just dropped. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Man, that sucks, I hate it when that happens to a potentially good show.

Comment

Working...
                              X