No announcement yet.

What is the appeal of Godzilla?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having good taste, which most of this site demonstratively lacks.

Comment

• Louay
      Louay commented
      Editing a comment
      "to be fair, you need to have a very high iq to appreciate Godzilla"

• Raniero
      Raniero commented
      Editing a comment
      Considering that's the interpretation you somehow got out of my post, you might ironically be unto something.

Originally posted by Raniero View Post
    Having good taste, which most of this site demonstratively lacks.
    Real talk, this site is overflowing with perpetually cynical, jaded assholes.

Comment

The last godzilla movie had like 15 minutes of good shit and everything else was boring. I also fell asleep watching the newest King Kong movie. They just suck at making these types of movies and even at their peak they can't touch superhero shit so why do they even exist
      Last edited by Don Tigris; June 7th, 2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
        The last godzilla movie had like 15 minutes of good shit and everything else was boring. I also fell asleep watching the newest King Kong movie. They just suck at making these types of movies and even at their peak they can't touch superhero shit so why do they even exist
        >Unironically implying that other mainstream franchises have to be at that level just to get by.

>Implying capeshit is the highest form of cinematic art.

Seek help.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenryuunaito View Post

>Unironically implying that other mainstream franchises have to be at that level just to get by.

Seek help.
          Not only was the use of greentext wrong but that post didn't even imply what you said it did.

Comment

Speaking for myself, the appeal would be that its very cute how the infantile imagination- resembling that of a child, conjured up such gigantic creatures that love to fight other gigantic creatures their size.

I equate it to being a child that happily plays with a big Dinosaur toy, and it gets to crush the little plastic humans underneath him.

*Bam!* *Bam!* *Bam!*

*Kill them all, Rex!* *Don't let them escape!*

*Crush-Stomp-Crush!* *Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-
            Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill!*

Hehehehehe!

Its so endearing and cute!

However, I suppose that not everyone feels that way, so I hope that everyone gets to be entertained, at the very least. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post
              Speaking for myself, the appeal would be that its very cute how the infantile imagination- resembling that of a child, conjured up such gigantic creatures that love to fight other gigantic creatures their size.

I equate it to being a child that happily plays with a big Dinosaur toy, and it gets to crush the little plastic humans underneath him.

*Bam!* *Bam!* *Bam!*

Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill-Kill!*

Hehehehehe!

However, I suppose that not everyone feels that way, so I hope that everyone gets to be entertained, at the very least. ^_^
              Exactly. It's like that kid grew up and didn't let anyone tell him that what he was doing was weird. He didn't care, it made him happy and he figured out how to make it into art and a job that many can enjoy.
              The amount of work and thought that goes into the Toho miniatures and filming all the destruction... It's a beautiful thing.
              Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
              Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
              PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 75 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

Originally posted by Tenryuunaito View Post

Seek help.
                Facts say mcu is the peak of action genre. None of that corny ass godzilla or john wick shit

Comment

Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
                  Facts mcu is the peak of action genre.
                  None of that corny ass john wick shit
                  There is a chemical imbalance in your brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kai’ckul View Post

There is a chemical imbalance in your brain.
                    Bruh I love you but you can't be saying that to me when you rocking that filthy in a bad way set. Fuck that character and that show man

Comment

Originally posted by Culpa the Moth Mage View Post

Exactly. It's like that kid grew up and didn't let anyone tell him that what he was doing was weird. He didn't care, it made him happy and he figured out how to make it into art and a job that many can enjoy.
                      The amount of work and thought that goes into the Toho miniatures and filming all the destruction... It's a beautiful thing.
                      Yup-Yup!

You're right on the money, my friend.

It reminds me of the days were dear friends would play games, such as: Cops vs Robbers, Cowboys vs Indians, Conquer the Hill and the Throne! etc.

Those were the days where balloons filed with ice-cold water would be thrown to your opponents, and that would that they'd be dead for the rest of the game.

Its all very beautiful, no matter how you look at it.

I'm truly glad that I've found yet another person who shares such a heartwarming view.

Thank you, Culpa. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post

*Bam!* *Bam!* *Bam!*

Hehehehehe!

Nice oversimplification, but nah. The best Godzilla movies have always been used to cleverly to address social or environmental issues. In KotM, the message was how humanity is destroying the environment and polluting the Earth, eventually causing natural disasters. The monsters are physical representations of that. They were portrayed as natural disasters or beings of natural balance. That's why at the end of the movie, when they're all awakened, the state of the planet starts to improve. On the other hand, King Ghidorah was essentially an invasive species who ruined the planet and shaped it into the way he desired--kind of like humanity.

Yeah, monsters fighting is part of the spectacle, but that's not all the movie was. Of course, most brainlets won't really catch any of the nuances when they watch the movie.
                        Last edited by Raniero; June 15th, 2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Nice oversimplification, but nah. The best Godzilla movies have always been used to cleverly to address social or environmental issues. In KotM, the message was how humanity is destroying the environment and polluting the Earth, eventually causing natural disasters. The monsters are physical representations of that. They were portrayed as natural disasters or beings of natural balance. That's why at the end of the movie, when they're all awakened, the state of the planet starts to improve. On the other hand, King Ghidorah was essentially an invasive species who ruined the planet and shaped it into the way he desired--kind of like humanity.

Yeah, monsters fighting is part of the spectacle, but that's not all the movie was. Of course, most brainlets won't really catch any of the nuances when they watch the movie.
                          I wouldn’t consider KoTM particularly thought-provoking or “clever” lol. Not only does it hamfistedly shove in an environmental message in a franchise where the primary fanbase is only concerned about big monsters fighting, it’s not even done well. The message isn’t subtle at all, especially when they — as you said — literally make the other (shittily designed and ultimately irrelevant) monsters “physical representations” of the planet trying to “fix itself” (whatever that means). The monsters themselves barely add to the story, since they’re mostly off-screen beating off to Godzilla or something, which makes the symbolism not very effective. It’s just like the thousand other movies that try to shove the environmental message down your throat without any real thought besides “oh, humans are polluting the earth btw”. Aquaman tier message tbh.

Not only that, it also wasted a great actor like Charles Dance by barely giving him any dialogue and making his character Ra’s Al Ghul with no personality or anything interesting about him. Worst of the worst, though, the fighting sucked. The colors were really dark and murky in the action scenes, which were compounded by Ghidorah’s rain (probably a way to cut down on how much money they’re spending on this already 100 million dollar movie), which made everything a lot less interesting to see. The choreography was lame because of how insanely slow the monsters were, which, while understandable, is still fuckin lame. Any of the scenes with Mothra, or Ghidorah lighting up were the only visually interesting parts of the movie, really.

I could go on about the plot armor so thick you should call it the plot Iron Man suit, the forced drama, how convoluted so much of it was, or any number of things, but I’m already ranting at this point. The movie sucked, and people shouldn’t be ridiculed for not liking it.

Unless you’re memeing, in which case, I have been fooled.

Comment

You're such a silly goose, Ran!

Any extrovert- with more than ten friends at the cusp of one's childhood, knows that one of the highlights of having so many friends is that you get to physically struggle with them for supremacy at any chance that you get.

I've never lost at any games that involved intellect and physical might, you know?

I always wrestled/boxed my friend's into submission whenever the occasion appeared where a friendly competition of might would take place, and I'll have you know that a vast majority of my friends were and continue to be male. ^_^

That's why I know that people- especially children, love the idea of gigantic beings that brawl with other gigantic beings.

That being said, I have the feeling that you're just playing with me, so I'll warn you that I will hug you into submission and force you to admit my supremacy!

Hehehehe!

Take good care of yourself, Ran!

Don't think that your absence has been forgotten, so make sure to be healthy and happy.

That's all I could ever ask/hope/pray for you, my dearly-cherished friend. ^u^ <3

Comment

• Raniero
                              Raniero commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Whatever you say, you crazy schizo

• Mr.Sunshine
                              Mr.Sunshine commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Raniero:

*Puff-Puff!*

I'll inform you with pride in my chest that I have wrestled to submission countless of men heralding from a variety of backgrounds, such as the following: Jewish: Thin-Plump-Fat Build, Native-American: Slim-Build, Russian: Slim-Plumb-Muscular Build, Mexican and Spanish: Thin-Slim-Fat Build, Chinese-Filipino-Vietnamese-Japanese: Thin-Plump Build, Black (American) and African: Thin-Slim-Plump-Fat Build, French: Thin Build, and White: Thin-Slim-Muscular-Plump-Fat Build.

I may lack stamina due to my state of my health, but I'm quite confident in my fortitude and the aggressive-maniac energy that I keep in emergency-storage.

I'm certain that I'll have you admit that I'm the best friend that their ever was, at the end of the day.

No doubt about it! ^_^

Not sure why it can't be a little of both.
                            The best art usually is.
                            Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
                            PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 75 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

Originally posted by Augustus Caesar View Post

I wouldn’t consider KoTM particularly thought-provoking or “clever” lol. Not only does it hamfistedly shove in an environmental message in a franchise where the primary fanbase is only concerned about big monsters fighting, it’s not even done well. The message isn’t subtle at all, especially when they — as you said — literally make the other (shittily designed and ultimately irrelevant) monsters “physical representations” of the planet trying to “fix itself” (whatever that means).
                              It wasn't subtle, but not to the average viewer. They fix the planet because their natural radiation stimulates growth. That was pretty self-explanatory.

The monsters themselves barely add to the story, since they’re mostly off-screen beating off to Godzilla or something, which makes the symbolism not very effective.
                              I wouldn't even say it had much symbolism at all, since the movie was in-your-face about the whole thing. Mrs. Bitch basically explained the entire narrative in her monologue.

It’s just like the thousand other movies that try to shove the environmental message down your throat without any real thought besides “oh, humans are polluting the earth btw”. Aquaman tier message tbh.
                              The entire plot was built upon that message, so it wasn't an afterthought. Considering it's currently a relevant message, much how nuclear war was for the original Godzilla movie, I don't see how it's Aquaman tier (whatever that means).

Worst of the worst, though, the fighting sucked. The colors were really dark and murky in the action scenes, which were compounded by Ghidorah’s rain (probably a way to cut down on how much money they’re spending on this already 100 million dollar movie), which made everything a lot less interesting to see. The choreography was lame because of how insanely slow the monsters were, which, while understandable, is still fuckin lame. Any of the scenes with Mothra, or Ghidorah lighting up were the only visually interesting parts of the movie, really.
                              Must've been the shitty screening you were at, because I was able to follow the fights fine when I watched it in Dolby. Only fight that was difficult to follow was the underwater fight. And the monsters in this movie were laughably fast for how big they were.

I could go on about the plot armor so thick you should call it the plot Iron Man suit, the forced drama, how convoluted so much of it was, or any number of things, but I’m already ranting at this point. The movie sucked, and people shouldn’t be ridiculed for not liking it.
                              Nah, it was great. Your taste is just garbage.
                              Last edited by Raniero; June 15th, 2019, 02:31 AM.

Comment

It's wasn't subtle, but not to the average viewer. They fix the planet because their natural radiation stimulates growth. That was pretty self-explanatory.
                                Yeah, I understood that. My problem was just with the way they phrased it. The planet isn’t some sentient being that just sends out some things when it feels like it. Probably nitpicky but the movie is shit, regardless.

wouldn't even say it had much symbolism at all, since the movie was in-your-face about the whole thing. Mrs. Bitch basically explained the entire narrative in her monologue.
                                Yop.

The entire plot was built upon that message, so it wasn't an afterthought. Considering it's currently a relevant message, much how nuclear war was for the original Godzilla movie, I don't see how it's Aquaman tier (whatever that means).
                                I’m not saying it was an afterthought. What I’m saying is that the message itself is lazy. Yes, humans are polluting the planet, any person with half a brain who’s gone through High School knows that. It’s not adding anything particularly challenging or interesting, nor is it done in a particularly interesting way. I’ll admit that it had a unique way of doing it, I guess, but the way that it insults the viewer’s intelligence by being so in your face ruins that.

While climate change is a relevant message, it’s not relevant in the way that nuclear war (and more specifically, the atomic bomb itself) was to the Japanese in the original. People could remember how disastrous Hiroshima and Nagasaki were, the movie came out a mere 9 years after the bombings. On the other hand, now, people see climate change as a way more ominous threat that doesn’t really affect their daily lives. The impact that the message has isn’t as powerful in the face of that.

The Aquaman thing was more or less a joke.

Must've been the shitty screening you were at, because I was able to follow the fights fine when I watched it in Dolby. Only fight that was difficult to follow was the underwater fight. And the monsters in this movie were laughably fast for how big they were.
                                I probably shouldn’t have said “dark”. My bad. The movie itself wasn’t dark, you could track everything going on, but the pallet was. All of the monsters were black and gray, with some other (dark) colors being sprinkled in there, so it came off as really monotone and boring to watch. Again, the only parts with any real color (which made it visually interesting) was Mothra, who looked really nice, and Ghidorah harnessing power from the electrical plant. Maybe Godzilla’s breath. I disagree about the fighting, they were big hulking monsters barely moving at each other. Well, Ghidorah vs Godzilla was, at least. Rodan vs Mothra was alright, I guess.

Nah, it was great. Your taste is just garbage.
                                Come on, bro. Honestly tell me you didn’t cringe at shitty “”””””jokes””””” like “His name was Ghidorah”, “did she say gonorrhea???”, or at the insane amount of exposition, or at all the plot armor.

Damn, the Dolby, tho. Place looks nice af, but it must’ve been expensive lmao. I just watched it at the ArcLight in Culver. Glad to know that someone else is in the best state tho.
                                Last edited by Augustus Caesar; June 15th, 2019, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Originally posted by Augustus Caesar View Post
                                  People could remember how disastrous Okinawa and Nagasaki were, the movie came out a mere 9 years after the bombings.
                                  You mean Hiroshima, right?

• Augustus Caesar
                                  Augustus Caesar commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yeah, my bad. I went full retard there lol. I was going to write “okinawa and hiroshima”, and I realized I was being stupid but changed the wrong one by accident ig.

Well, well, well. He powered up Godzilla to infinity, but only for a limited amount of time...

Comment

I haven't seen the new Godzilla movie, but I don't like idolatry, so I probably wouldn't like whatever they've done with the new Mothra.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                                    I haven't seen the new Godzilla movie, but I don't like idolatry, so I probably wouldn't like whatever they've done with the new Mothra.
                                    Mothra has always been idolized as a goddess.
                                    And as far as design goes, Moths are known for their adaptive nature. New Mothra looks like a wasp, which backs up her looking like a fairy.
                                    There are several species of moth that are known for adapting to choose the shape/form of a different insect as a defensive measure.
                                    One of my favorites is the Blue Clear Wing Moth of Malaysia (incidentally, Mothra's islanders/worshipers are Malay). Thought to be extinct for over 100 years, it was rediscovered, looking like a little blue bee.
                                    I thought they did wonderfully with Mothra.

Comment

Working...
                                    X