Whats with the Incel Troll Campaign against Captain Marvel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with the Incel Troll Campaign against Captain Marvel

I haven't seen keyboard cucks get this butthurt over a superhero since the old Goku vs. Superman heyday of MvC vs. forum.

The fuck is this???

• Cid
    replied
    Originally posted by King John View Post
    Wonder Woman was the Black Panther for females, it was going to make a ton of money because it was "the first female superhero movie." Plus it had good word of mouth being the first DCEU movie to not be critically panned. JL was a movie everybody was wanting to hate before it even came out. You really think the casual movie goer even heard about any of the behind the scenes stuff like the lead actor needing an acting coach or anything to do about the production of the film? Casual audiences don't pay attention to stuff like that. Even if it is just "ten million SW junkies," as you put it, that's still 80-100 million dollars in revenue lost.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I think you're wrong, but since there's no real way for either of us to prove our opinion is right the entire discussion is pointless. We'll just have to see how well the movies franchises perform in the future.

Wouldn't bet on Death being introduced in End Game, too late to implement a "more powerful true villain pulling the strings" this late in the series with no warning. Thanos was teased for a decade and was praised for how he was portrayed in Infinity War. If I had to guess I would say the majority of the movie is the Avengers trying to find a way to time travel to before the "snap," and defeat Thanos.
    I certainly hope the time travel rumors aren't true. Never liked the Deus ex Machina approach that time travel always brings. I would much, much rather have them enter the Soul Stone to bring everyone back and undo the Snap.

They could introduce Death, though. The next phase of the MCU is supposed to revolve mostly around the cosmic side of the universe and she's one of the primary cosmic entities, along with Eternity and Galactus. They don't have to set her up as a big bad. Thanos can still be the movie's antagonist because they probably won't confront him until near the end of the movie anyway. *shrugs*

Leave a comment:

• King John
    replied
    Originally posted by Cid View Post

If the previous DC movies had so much influence on JL, then Wonder Woman wouldn't have performed so well considering it was coming in after a series of flops. Justice League, like Solo, did poorly because the news around the movie made it readily apparent that it wasn't going to be good. Movies never do well if their entire production schedule is littered with very public failings.

The hardcore fanbases aren't that important. It's the casual moviegoers that make the overwhelming majority of the money. I mean, cool. Ten million SW junkies got pissy at TLJ and skipped Solo? Well ok, but the casual market has billions of potential viewers. If those guys thought TLJ was pretty good (they rated it as an 'A' after seeing it) then why would they have skipped Solo? Is it because the Star Wars nerds got mad? Or is it because they heard about how the lead actor needed an acting coach and heard that Ron Howard was called in to clean up the previous director's mess?
    Wonder Woman was the Black Panther for females, it was going to make a ton of money because it was "the first female superhero movie." Plus it had good word of mouth being the first DCEU movie to not be critically panned. JL was a movie everybody was wanting to hate before it even came out. You really think the casual movie goer even heard about any of the behind the scenes stuff like the lead actor needing an acting coach or anything to do about the production of the film? Casual audiences don't pay attention to stuff like that. Even if it is just "ten million SW junkies," as you put it, that's still 80-100 million dollars in revenue lost.

Just doesn't make any sense for Thanos to even care about defending himself. He isn't really evil. He thought it was the only way to save the universe. And it seems like he's going to realize that he screwed up. (Russos confirmed that his snap also eliminated half the animals and vegetation in the universe, so he didn't change anything. Half the sentient beings are gone but so is half the food, resources will still be just as scarce.)

Interesting theory I saw is that Death is manipulating him. Made him think he would save the universe when all he did was give her more power.
    Wouldn't bet on Death being introduced in End Game, too late to implement a "more powerful true villain pulling the strings" this late in the series with no warning. Thanos was teased for a decade and was praised for how he was portrayed in Infinity War. If I had to guess I would say the majority of the movie is the Avengers trying to find a way to time travel to before the "snap," and defeat Thanos.

Leave a comment:

• Kai’ckul
    replied
    Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

That is not true he sort of just fit on the Titans. Also to be fair Dick Grayson and the Robins in general kinda outshine the other members. Even if the name Robin is weak as hell lol.

I feel when it comes to the green lantern I like different Lanterns. They each have their own story. I just don't like bukkshit writing. My problem has never been comics switching characters. It's the writing that goes into these series that make me be like nah fuck outta here.

I planning on binging some series tonight not doing shit tonight. Supernatural been good this season?
    It's funny because even the Robins have their own inferiority complexes. Dick always trying to be Bruce, Jason always trying to be Dick, Tim always trying to be Jason etc. Bruce forever the Big Boss.

Eh. I like Jack and Rowena has grown on me, but this season hasn't shown much of Ketch and Bobby. We did see Nick (Lucifer's host) though, if you're into that. All in all, not that good but not as bad as a few of the past seasons. The Michael storyline got the Billy Russo treatment. :/
    Last edited by Kai’ckul; March 17th, 2019, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 40 acres
    replied
    Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

Then the joke's on them, because nobody liked or cared about Cyborg even when he was on the TT. May as well have stuck with MM or even GL as the token black superhero, though I've always liked Hal Jordan best.
    That is not true he sort of just fit on the Titans. Also to be fair Dick Grayson and the Robins in general kinda outshine the other members. Even if the name Robin is weak as hell lol.

I feel when it comes to the green lantern I like different Lanterns. They each have their own story. I just don't like bukkshit writing. My problem has never been comics switching characters. It's the writing that goes into these series that make me be like nah fuck outta here.

I planning on binging some series tonight not doing shit tonight. Supernatural been good this season?

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied

I mean JL doubled it's budget, so it was probably closer to breaking even than truly flopping. I don't know how that refutes anything I said, JL did badly because of the bad rep the DCEU got from past films, same thing that happened to Solo after TLJ, If TLJ was resoundingly loved by Star Wars fans Solo would have done much better than it did. The Force Awakens definitely helped Rogue One be as successful as it was too. I'm sure plenty casual movie goers thought TLJ was ok (everybody who I know that saw it told me it was terrible) but the hardcore Star Wars fan-base hated it, and that's who you need to please if smaller side story movies are going to be successful.
    If the previous DC movies had so much influence on JL, then Wonder Woman wouldn't have performed so well considering it was coming in after a series of flops. Justice League, like Solo, did poorly because the news around the movie made it readily apparent that it wasn't going to be good. Movies never do well if their entire production schedule is littered with very public failings.

The hardcore fanbases aren't that important. It's the casual moviegoers that make the overwhelming majority of the money. I mean, cool. Ten million SW junkies got pissy at TLJ and skipped Solo? Well ok, but the casual market has billions of potential viewers. If those guys thought TLJ was pretty good (they rated it as an 'A' after seeing it) then why would they have skipped Solo? Is it because the Star Wars nerds got mad? Or is it because they heard about how the lead actor needed an acting coach and heard that Ron Howard was called in to clean up the previous director's mess?

What are you basing this on?
    Just doesn't make any sense for Thanos to even care about defending himself. He isn't really evil. He thought it was the only way to save the universe. And it seems like he's going to realize that he screwed up. (Russos confirmed that his snap also eliminated half the animals and vegetation in the universe, so he didn't change anything. Half the sentient beings are gone but so is half the food, resources will still be just as scarce.)

Interesting theory I saw is that Death is manipulating him. Made him think he would save the universe when all he did was give her more power.

Leave a comment:

• King John
    replied

I doubt anyone expected Justice League to flop... But here we are. Like I said, the production was troubled and it was getting shat on before it even released because of that. TLJ didn't have any impact on it. Most people liked TLJ, that was apparent by the positive reactions of the scores of people who were asked as they left the theater. Like Captain Marvel, it just got hit hard online by a huge troll campaign.
    I mean JL doubled it's budget, so it was probably closer to breaking even than truly flopping. I don't know how that refutes anything I said, JL did badly because of the bad rep the DCEU got from past films, same thing that happened to Solo after TLJ, If TLJ was resoundingly loved by Star Wars fans Solo would have done much better than it did. The Force Awakens definitely helped Rogue One be as successful as it was too. I'm sure plenty casual movie goers thought TLJ was ok (everybody who I know that saw it told me it was terrible) but the hardcore Star Wars fan-base hated it, and that's who you need to please if smaller side story movies are going to be successful.

Thanos won't be the big villain, so I don't think you have to worry about that.
    What are you basing this on?

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied
    Zero chance Solo would have flopped
    I doubt anyone expected Justice League to flop... But here we are. Like I said, the production was troubled and it was getting shat on before it even released because of that. TLJ didn't have any impact on it. Most people liked TLJ, that was apparent by the positive reactions of the scores of people who were asked as they left the theater. Like Captain Marvel, it just got hit hard online by a huge troll campaign.

If End Game decides to have Captain Marvel serve as a deus ex machina and be the one to kill off Thanos, there will be an even bigger backlash. I think they're smarter than that though.
    Thanos won't be the big villain, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Leave a comment:

• Kai’ckul
    replied
    Thor is canonically the most powerful Avenger; though I won't fault them for shilling CM in this particular instance seeing as WW beat Ares himself, who is not only a god but the god of war (and the only relevant Olympian). Oh, and she did it in the source material also...

Leave a comment:

• King John
    replied

Yeah, my opinion that it was better than TFA or any of the prequels is generally less popular online than it is with people I know irl. No need to remind me.

It wasn't really a detriment to the franchise, though. A lot of (dumb) people like to point to Solo and say "it wouldn't have flopped if TLJ was better." But... That's probably not true. Solo hired a young unknown that, by accounts from production, couldn't act very well and replaced Harrison Ford with him. It had a very visible falling out with the director and had to replace him in the middle of filming. Ron Howard had to do a ton of reshoots. The entire story surrounding Solo's production was the exact same as the horror stories surrounding Justice League, which had disappointed critics and fans alike just a few months before.

I liked Solo. It wasn't great but it wasn't awful either. It was mediocre by definition but was fun. But even I was put off by all the mess coming out of production. Solo was doomed from the start, any backlash from TLJ, from a vocal minority, had no effect on how Solo performed.

That's pretty obvious. Hype is still high for Episode 9, people are excited to see it, and it's going to sell just as many tickets as every other numbered SW film. TLJ didn't cause any harm to the franchise. Lol.

Captain Marvel won't either.
    Zero chance Solo would have flopped if it had came out before TLJ. Is Solo had came out instead of Rogue One, it would have been a bigger hit than Rogue One was. The reception to TLJ and Star Wars fatigue in general no doubt hurt Solo's performance. Episode 9 will do numbers the same way End Game will do numbers, but the box office of the ancillary films surrounding a Trilogy Star Wars movie and/or big team up Marvel movies will go down. If End Game decides to have Captain Marvel serve as a deus ex machina and be the one to kill off Thanos, there will be an even bigger backlash. I think they're smarter than that though.

Leave a comment:

• Pocket Rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by The Poster Formerly Known as Teal View Post
    Randy "no older than 3 on my usb" Pitchford

Leave a comment:

• Kai’ckul
    replied

I saw the first mon-el storyline. Didn’t watch the next season. I hate how manhunter somehow got pushed back a few tiers in presence. It all started when dc wanted to turn Cyborg into the token justice league black member. He got pushed back because of that lol.
    Then the joke's on them, because nobody liked or cared about Cyborg even when he was on the TT. May as well have stuck with MM or even GL as the token black superhero, though I've always liked Hal Jordan best.

Leave a comment:

• DokTOR.
    replied
    Originally posted by The Poster Formerly Known as Teal View Post
    Is it physically possible to be this effeminate?

Leave a comment:

• 40 acres
    replied
    Originally posted by Oneiros View Post
    That shit was truly wack. Especially when they had her salivating over Max Lord earlier in the story. Fourth season is OK but probably not worth picking up the previous two seasons for. You miss out on Mon-El and that's about it. Pity that J'onn (both as a character and actor) is wasted on the show though.

Yeah. I think you mentioned that to me. Probably the best origin story lol.
    I saw the first mon-el storyline. Didn’t watch the next season. I hate how manhunter somehow got pushed back a few tiers in presence. It all started when dc wanted to turn Cyborg into the token justice league black member. He got pushed back because of that lol.

Leave a comment:

• The Poster Formerly Known as Teal
    replied
    Gearbox CEO

FB_IMG_1552684454140.jpg

Leave a comment:

• 40 acres
    replied

The only "gurl power" moments in the film were the short flashbacks, though? How is that force feeding? Like, I actually went and saw the movie. I can confirm that it's basically another action comic book movie. It pushes "girl power" much, much less than Black Panther pushed "black power". The difference between the two films (other than BP being better) is mostly that Brie Larson made some bad comments during the press tours and now the right-wing crazies are trying to rally against it even though the "feminist agenda" in the film is confined to all of 10 minutes of flashbacks throughout the movie. And heck, of those flashbacks the only really cringey bit was the cockpit joke, which accounts for like 5 seconds of the film. lol. The rest of the "gurl power" moments also double as showing the power of humanity against the more powerful alien oppressors. The bad guy didn't tell Carol "you're just a girl" when they were trying to take away her power. They said "you're just a human" instead.

You guys are looking way too much into this femnazi stuff if you're complaining about one bad joke in an otherwise ok movie.

(Oneiros, since you mentioned this in your comment) Also, I wouldn't source Bounding into Comics for anything. They're pretty well-known on the web for being terrible. Basically, the comic book of Breitbart. They're the ones that cropped up during and pushed the comicsgate thing last year. It's trash and most likely fabricated that entire story. (Unless of course you have alternate sources that don't link back to it as their source. lol)
    One you are overthinking what U said. My original post said the movie was alright. Outside of those inserts. Which is what that article was talking about. Those inserts of her being pushed down by men was cringe as fuck lol.

Next you would be wrong if you think I am a heavy supporter of black panther. I am a huge fan of him in civil war putting in work on Bucky and Cap. BP a second watch is full of flaws and over the top points. The hype was real at first. Now he’ll nah.

As for the last article I just think it’s funny if it’s true. Also it is a very possible action. Record companies commit similar actions all the time. It is not a new thing.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
    I'm actually joining the incels
    oh

Leave a comment:

• Don Tigris
    replied
    This movie is hot garbage. Super racist too if you look into it a bit. I'm actually joining the incels because MONICA. . .

and Thor is insanle more powerful than Carol Danvers has ever been. If she actually does defeat Thanos. . bruh

Leave a comment:

• Kai’ckul
    replied
    "In the pinnacle moment of Captain Marvel's final fight sequence, Gwen Stefani's 'I'm Just a Girl' starts playing as Brie Larson's Carol Danvers kicks everyone's ass.

The subtext, in case you missed it, is that Carol Danvers might just be a girl. But being just a girl is pretty kick ass.

The only thing that feels truly retro about Captain Marvel's '90s setting is its shallow take on feminism that we should be moving away from, not using as a crutch. It's not just that so many of the movie's heavy-handed Feminist Moments come across as disingenuous. Those moments also tap into an old conceit of equality as a sort of revenge fantasy, mixed with the undertone of a battle of the sexes.

In a similar vein, Captain Marvel banks on its audience seeing Danvers at the height of her powers to be thinking, "Wow, isn't it amazing that a woman is just as, if not more, powerful than the men around her?!"

For this and so many other reasons, Captain Marvel's feminism feels not only like a step backwards, but reactive to the male superheroes long-since established in the MCU.

Danvers feels like an afterthought, a deviation from the main storyline. To be fair to Captain Marvel's creators, they had their work cut out for them telling an origin story for a brand new character a mere month before the release of the final Avengers: Endgame.

In the movie's last-minute scramble to justify adding Captain Marvel to the Avengers' boys club, it fails to let Danvers' story stand on its own two legs. The movie never rises above the level of an advertisement cashing in on #feminism because it stinks of corporate-mandated female empowerment. And also, because it feels an awful lot like Marvel's half-hearted, long overdue apology for ignoring women's superhero fantasies for a whopping 20 movies released since 2008.

Though I hesitated to do so, I only really started to understand why Captain Marvel's feminist branding felt so hollow when I compared it to Wonder Woman's success with an equally heavy-handed and fantastical lady-power narrative. Or, to bring it back to Marvel, why Black Panther managed to feel endlessly more empowering to women than a single second of Captain Marvel.

Black Panther portrays several different types of ways women's empowerment strengthens Wakanda's evolved, egalitarian society. Meanwhile the Wonder Woman comparison bears consideration because it taps into a similar theme of women's superpowers not only being brute strength, but emotions and empathy. Yet Captain Marvel's fundamental storytelling issues make it impossible for the movie to deliver meaningfully on that."

-------------------------

There is no agenda and CM is definitely as good as WW though, trust.
    Last edited by Kai’ckul; March 15th, 2019, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cid
    replied
    Article actually breaksdown perfectly what I was saying about captain marvel. The movie force fed girl power moments and it was viciously reject. Ironic this is afemale reviewer discussing this,
    https://mashable.com/article/captain...e#wFnG5B33QgqE

Also disney might be pump faking capatain marvel receipts lol.
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/03/13/new-reports-of-empty-theaters-at-captain-marvel-add-to-movies-controversy/
    The only "gurl power" moments in the film were the short flashbacks, though? How is that force feeding? Like, I actually went and saw the movie. I can confirm that it's basically another action comic book movie. It pushes "girl power" much, much less than Black Panther pushed "black power". The difference between the two films (other than BP being better) is mostly that Brie Larson made some bad comments during the press tours and now the right-wing crazies are trying to rally against it even though the "feminist agenda" in the film is confined to all of 10 minutes of flashbacks throughout the movie. And heck, of those flashbacks the only really cringey bit was the cockpit joke, which accounts for like 5 seconds of the film. lol. The rest of the "gurl power" moments also double as showing the power of humanity against the more powerful alien oppressors. The bad guy didn't tell Carol "you're just a girl" when they were trying to take away her power. They said "you're just a human" instead.

You guys are looking way too much into this femnazi stuff if you're complaining about one bad joke in an otherwise ok movie.

(Oneiros, since you mentioned this in your comment) Also, I wouldn't source Bounding into Comics for anything. They're pretty well-known on the web for being terrible. Basically, the comic book of Breitbart. They're the ones that cropped up during and pushed the comicsgate thing last year. It's trash and most likely fabricated that entire story. (Unless of course you have alternate sources that don't link back to it as their source. lol)
    Last edited by Cid; March 15th, 2019, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X