Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books are you currently reading? (share, recommend, & discuss)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Thar View Post
    Been reading the Wastelands by Stephen King, though that's on hold. Recently I started on the Silmarillion by Tolkien, though like most books I'm taking more breaks than making progress.
    I love the Dark Tower series, so that's pretty neat.

    I couldn't get through the Silmarillion, it's written more like a myth than a story and that's a bad thing to me. I don't want to have to study names of gods that may or may not be referenced more than once.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Thar View Post
      Been reading the Wastelands by Stephen King, though that's on hold. Recently I started on the Silmarillion by Tolkien, though like most books I'm taking more breaks than making progress.
      Well on your side, the Silmarillion is hard reading, props for giving it a go. I always read 1-3 on the Dark Tower then stop and get caught up in other things. I own all of them but have never picked up 4

      Comment


        Originally posted by Strife View Post

        Well on your side, the Silmarillion is hard reading, props for giving it a go. I always read 1-3 on the Dark Tower then stop and get caught up in other things. I own all of them but have never picked up 4
        4 is an interesting one, it gives a look into Roland as a younger man and it shows a lot more of the world they live in. It's worth a go, I'd say.

        Comment


          Just finished Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment
          Beat Happening - Tiger Trap

          Comment


            Calling all Tolkien fanboys ( Beholder ). You guys hear about his new book dropping?

            Comment


              I remembered, Wastelands was put on hold for The Devil's Armor by John Marco. That explains that.

              Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
              Calling all Tolkien fanboys ( Beholder ). You guys hear about his new book dropping?
              I was not aware of this. Supposedly it's the first actual story set in Middle Earth? That sounds exciting. Hopefully they still have copies at B&N when I get off of work.

              Comment


                Reread the Trial and reading the Castle now
                Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                Comment


                  Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
                  Calling all Tolkien fanboys ( Beholder ). You guys hear about his new book dropping?
                  I did not pay that much attention to it the first time I heard some rumours about it, as I was focused and hyped about the upcoming TV series based on Tolkiens work(5 seasons confirmed, most money ever for TV series budget, 5 seasons confirmed)

                  I hope it's good and certainly, I am interested.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
                    Calling all Tolkien fanboys ( Beholder ). You guys hear about his new book dropping?
                    Hasn't he been dead for years now?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Beholder View Post

                      I did not pay that much attention to it the first time I heard some rumours about it, as I was focused and hyped about the upcoming TV series based on Tolkiens work(5 seasons confirmed, most money ever for TV series budget, 5 seasons confirmed)

                      I hope it's good and certainly, I am interested.
                      Yo, for a literal billion dollar budget, that would legit be the biggest flop in television history if it gets low reviews

                      I'm hoping that's not the case, though. I'm hype as fuck

                      Comment


                        Listening to the Hereticus Audiobook. After that, I will probably move on to the Stormlight Archive. heard good things about it, and I really liked the authors Mistborn series. Either that, or give Percy Jackson a revisit.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Thar View Post

                          Yo, for a literal billion dollar budget, that would legit be the biggest flop in television history if it gets low reviews

                          I'm hoping that's not the case, though. I'm hype as fuck
                          sjw, gender diversity and other political bullshit might ruin it, I hope that is not going to be the case.

                          Comment


                            Reading Heart of Darkness right now

                            Oneiros
                            "We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness"

                            how the fuck did this HACK get away with it
                            Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                            Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Doctor. View Post
                              Reading Heart of Darkness right now

                              Oneiros
                              "We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness"

                              how the fuck did this HACK get away with it
                              Alluding to the title in an actual passage is an advanced literary technique (especially for a Ukrainian who didn't even know what an "English" was until he was a grown man), fuck off\

                              ->How do you actually feel about it tho

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

                                Alluding to the title in an actual passage is an advanced literary technique (especially for a Ukrainian who didn't even know what an "English" was until he was a grown man), fuck off\

                                ->How do you actually feel about it tho
                                I really like his prose. I have to reread some passages a few times because of how cleverly some sentences are put together. The content is typical Conrad, more of the same as an Outpost of Progress. Insightful, still.
                                Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                                Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Beholder View Post

                                  I did not pay that much attention to it the first time I heard some rumours about it, as I was focused and hyped about the upcoming TV series based on Tolkiens work(5 seasons confirmed, most money ever for TV series budget, 5 seasons confirmed)

                                  I hope it's good and certainly, I am interested.
                                  It's suppose to have a huge budget so even if it is bad, it should be decent. Looking forward to it too.

                                  Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

                                  Hasn't he been dead for years now?
                                  Yes.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Doctor. View Post

                                    I really like his prose. I have to reread some passages a few times because of how cleverly some sentences are put together. The content is typical Conrad, more of the same as an Outpost of Progress. Insightful, still.
                                    Haven't read OoP, but its narration style evidently differs from HoD. The unreliable narrator and ambiguity in general are what make HoD stand out amidst Conrad's works. Apparently, it's the most criticized text in higher education. His prose really is elaborate.

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                                      I really like his prose. I have to reread some passages a few times because of how cleverly some sentences are put together. The content is typical Conrad, more of the same as an Outpost of Progress. Insightful, still.
                                      Read the book recently because I enjoyed Apocalypse Now. The author evokes quite a image, really apparent where the movie gets its oppressively bleak atmosphere from.
                                      Beat Happening - Tiger Trap

                                      Comment


                                        The Sorrows of Young Werther
                                        Empire of the Sun
                                        Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                                        Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                                        Comment


                                        • #83.6666666667
                                          #83.6666666667 commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Bet you cried reading that last one.

                                        • DokTOR.
                                          DokTOR. commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Naw, but the movie made me almost tear up a few times
                                          Book is substantially less emotionally manipulative, but powerful all the same
                                      Working...
                                      X