Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your Game of the Decade for the 2010s??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OsamaBinBallin
    replied
    Skyrim duh

Leave a comment:

• One of Them
    replied
    Fantasy Life

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied
    Originally posted by blah View Post

I was gonna teach him about hard work and perseverance. Now he's gonna be a spoiled brat who will never never makes anything of himself. Hope you're happy, you just doomed this man.
    You're not my mom, dad!

Leave a comment:

• Thar
    replied

I was gonna teach him about hard work and perseverance. Now he's gonna be a spoiled brat who will never never makes anything of himself. Hope you're happy, you just doomed this man.
    All that hard work and perseverance to copy and paste some text. How insightful.

Leave a comment:

• blah
    replied
    Originally posted by Thar View Post

It's from a Business Insider article.

https://www.businessinsider.com/best...-games-2016-12

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied
    Originally posted by Thar View Post

Thanks man.

also, that's an awful list, lol. Not a single mention of Sunshine or Galaxy 1 (I assume the article predates Odyssey, but still) and they put the original in the second place? I'm unsettled.

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    commented on 's reply
    I just WOKE UP and found out!

HAH!

• Thar
    replied
    Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Is this a copypasta? I feel like this is a videogamedunkey quote.

Last edited by Thar; January 7th, 2020, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• blah
    replied

you'll never know, unless you are willing to exert actual effort into finding out.

wouldn't recommend it tho.

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied

it may seem wierd, given that it’s not a “real” Mario game, but “Super Mario Bros. 2″ is fantastic. Notoriously, it’s a re-branded, slightly altered version of a game that was already out in Japan at the time, called”Doki Doki Panic.” Whatever.

“Super Mario Bros. 2” is an excellent Mario game.

It’s the first to allow you to play as Mario, Luigi, Toad or the Princess. Each of them has their own special attributes. Princess can float mid-jump for a moment or two. Luigi has a slightly higher jump than anyone else. More importantly, it’s a surrealist adventure full of crazy landscapes, crazier enemies, and a bird that shoots eggs out of its mouth. It may not be the first Mario game you should start with, but it’s one that you absolutely should not miss.

Leave a comment:

• Pocket Rocket
    replied
    Raid: Shadow Legends

Leave a comment:

• Zemoco
    replied
    I'd also include Undertale as well.

Leave a comment:

• blah
    replied

What a terrible choice for a game to pick outside of the decade, lol
    it may seem wierd, given that it’s not a “real” Mario game, but “Super Mario Bros. 2″ is fantastic. Notoriously, it’s a re-branded, slightly altered version of a game that was already out in Japan at the time, called”Doki Doki Panic.” Whatever.

“Super Mario Bros. 2” is an excellent Mario game.

It’s the first to allow you to play as Mario, Luigi, Toad or the Princess. Each of them has their own special attributes. Princess can float mid-jump for a moment or two. Luigi has a slightly higher jump than anyone else. More importantly, it’s a surrealist adventure full of crazy landscapes, crazier enemies, and a bird that shoots eggs out of its mouth. It may not be the first Mario game you should start with, but it’s one that you absolutely should not miss.

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied

Fuck the rules
    What a terrible choice for a game to pick outside of the decade, lol

Leave a comment:

• blah
    replied

uhm...?
    Fuck the rules

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied
    Undertale, Super Mario Bros 2 and Fortinite
    uhm...?

Leave a comment:

• blah
    replied
    Undertale, Super Mario Bros 2 and Fortinite

Leave a comment:

• Zemoco
    replied
    The disparity is whether or not the GOTD should be based on whether the game made an impact, or whether it was the best at what it did. Because, after all, we didn't exactly have a great decade for innovation (the 70s invented video games, the 90s had 3D thrown in. That was the last big innovation, since VR flopped).

You could say that Dark Souls 1 should get the title for raising the bar on what a fantasy action game should be, or you could give it to Bloodborne for taking the lessons learned from DS1, perfecting it, increasing the scope, and blending it with a much more tense and interesting setting. It depends on what you think the criteria should be.
    I think of it like this. Games released from early 10s can't really compare to games released in the last year. It is an unfair comparison to make. Sure, games released in 2010 are still perfectly playable (I played Dark Souls for the first time just 3 years ago and had great fun), but recent games have better technology and hindsight. Would Bloodborne even exist without Dark Souls? Considering Sony had given From the funding to make the game because of their success with DS1 and 2, I'd think not. It could still exist, but it wouldn't be the Bloodborne we know.

More recent games have the newer technology and hindsight to understand what didn't work in their predecessors and refined them to a mirror shine. But if their predecessors didn't exist, they too would ppof/be completely different. GOTD games don't even have to be great games. By God has Skyrim aged poorly, but it's influence is astounding.

Of course even the GOTD I mentioned aren't original. They were built and honed from games prior, but the point of GOTD is the games released within the decade.

I'd also probably add Disco Elysium to the discussion by the looks of it.

Leave a comment:

• Color of Cid Haki
    replied
    Kid icarus uprising is my favorite. Won’t have the impact as other games but it’s gonna be a cult classic years later.

smash ultimate goes above and beyond the most imo. It’s worth probably 3 fighting games with its roster and maps but also has a 40 hour campaign and a unique arcade mode of every character. Smash bros at this point has become more than a game but a celebration of all things gaming. Just look at what a single character reveal can do to the internet.

I think most people will say BOTW. It seemed to be the most praised for its change in games. It’s not my favorite but I see it.

some Honorable mentions, persona 5, bravely default, Starcraft 2, splatoon, dragon quest 11, a link between worlds, and doom

Leave a comment:

• OrganizationXV
    replied
    Originally posted by Zemoco View Post

Yea that is true, but on the virtue the GOTD should be what shaped the gaming landscape. Games released last year can't possibly be that unless like literally hundreds of games retooled there games to rip off mechanics in the span of a few months, while although possible, is completely improbable. So yea most games released towards the end would be ruled out, but it's not impossible.

Ocarina of Time, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life can be considered GOTD and those games came out towards the end of their respective decade.
    The disparity is whether or not the GOTD should be based on whether the game made an impact, or whether it was the best at what it did. Because, after all, we didn't exactly have a great decade for innovation (the 70s invented video games, the 90s had 3D thrown in. That was the last big innovation, since VR flopped).

You could say that Dark Souls 1 should get the title for raising the bar on what a fantasy action game should be, or you could give it to Bloodborne for taking the lessons learned from DS1, perfecting it, increasing the scope, and blending it with a much more tense and interesting setting. It depends on what you think the criteria should be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X