Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your Game of the Decade for the 2010s??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your Game of the Decade for the 2010s??

Every year we talk about the game of the year, but we have a great opportunity to go over the best things in an entire ten year span. That's half of some of our lives, for goodness' sake.

What's the most transcendental game that affected you on a core level?
    Originally posted by Wade
    Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Bloodborne, Dark Souls or Infamous 2
    Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
    Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Man. I don't think there was a game to come out in the last 10 years that did that for me. I guess the closest one would be Breath of the Wild because it made me completely rethink the Zelda formula. The last decade has brought some amazing games though.

Comment

My Game of the Decade: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Mind you, this includes both expansions "Heart of Stone" and "Blood & Wine", which are both masterpieces in their own rite, but all three make for the same package and have been nothing short of extraordinary. Some of the most gorgeous graphics you can experience, one of the most content-rich open worlds with some of the most unique and fleshed-out missions in any fantasy RPG, even for side-quests. And if that's not enough, there's even an entirely integrated card-game that, if nothing else interests you, you can just go around, play against people, and collect cards as a hobby. Honestly, I don't think anything I can say about this game will do it justice, cause I know I haven't touched much despite how much I've played. It's really no contest for me; this was the best game I've ever played, let alone from the past decade.

Honorary mention: Stardew Valley

I never thought that I would find myself lost in a game about farming. Tediously hoeing, planting, watering, waiting for crops to grow, picking, and selling. Repeat. Day after day. Of course, in addition to this process, you can explore the town, talk to people, go fishing, mine for materials, fight creatures in a cave and loot treasure, dig for artifacts to donate to a museum for rewards... all this in a simple little game made by one guy. Considering all the games that stood out to me over the past 10 years, it's no surprise this one, in particular, comes second because there's just so much to love about it, if not just for the amount of love that's gone into it.

Comment

mass effect 2 or fallout new vegas

Comment

Soulsborne games, easily. Just a question of how I'd rank them.

Comment

...Uhhhh, that's a hard one, lol.

...Lot's of games I've had that kind of compete for that spot...

So I'll just nominate Super Mario Odyssey for me personally. It's the reason I wanted a Switch.

Comment

Pokemon S&M: The first game to ditch the ''Battle in 8 gyms to go to the Pokemon league" system. Not only that, we get to experience going to other worlds as well as meet aliens for the first time.

A definite memorable moment was unlocking the Z move for Incineroar, because his move was LOL epic.

Comment

I'd say Datk Souls 1 in particular, just because it was my first experience with the series. It was a frustrating, demanding game that made me come closer to smashing a controller than anything else BY FAR... but its lore was both expansive and subtle, the level design was ingenious, the exploration was satisfying, the grind made you feel like you were actually honing your skills as much as your stats, and there was a level of care and polish to everything important that made it feel like a true masterpiece. To me, this was the greatest game of the 360 era, it was the measuring stick that other games would be judged by, and it had the feel of a modern classic more than anything else, I think.

As far as a general audience pick, I would have to say Monecraft probably, starting from 1.8.0 onward I suppose. How could it be anything else? Minecraft was absurdly popular, as far as I know it pioneered the survival crafting genre, it helped make the careers of an entire swathe of YouTubers (which in turn helped YouTube itself become what it is today), and a generation of kids grew up on it. People have been playing it steadily for the entire span of the decade, and it stayed the most popular game on PC until Fortnight challenged it 8 years later.
                  Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Either Dark Souls, DayZ, Minecraft, and Skyrim.

Kind of pointless to have a GOTD as superb games from all genres were released, and it's kind of not fare to compare games from the early 10s to last year.

GOTD should be based on games that heavily changed the landscape of games, and influenced countless games. Those are the ones.
                    Last edited by Zemoco; January 1st, 2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zemoco View Post
                      Either Dark Souls, DayZ, Minecraft, and Skyrim.

Kind of pointless to have a GOTD as superb games from all genres were released, and it's kind of not fare to compare games from the early 10s to last year.

GOTD should be based on games that heavily changed the landscape of games, and influenced countless games. Those are the ones.
                      I was thinking it wasn't fair to have a GotD conversation as well, considering the bias between early and late games. But then again, half of us picked Dark Souls (or at least put it in the running with the SoulsBorne franchise), and all of your picks are from the beginning of the decade as well lol

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
                        My Game of the Decade: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Mind you, this includes both expansions "Heart of Stone" and "Blood & Wine", which are both masterpieces in their own rite, but all three make for the same package and have been nothing short of extraordinary. Some of the most gorgeous graphics you can experience, one of the most content-rich open worlds with some of the most unique and fleshed-out missions in any fantasy RPG, even for side-quests. And if that's not enough, there's even an entirely integrated card-game that, if nothing else interests you, you can just go around, play against people, and collect cards as a hobby. Honestly, I don't think anything I can say about this game will do it justice, cause I know I haven't touched much despite how much I've played. It's really no contest for me; this was the best game I've ever played, let alone from the past decade.

Honorary mention: Stardew Valley

I never thought that I would find myself lost in a game about farming. Tediously hoeing, planting, watering, waiting for crops to grow, picking, and selling. Repeat. Day after day. Of course, in addition to this process, you can explore the town, talk to people, go fishing, mine for materials, fight creatures in a cave and loot treasure, dig for artifacts to donate to a museum for rewards... all this in a simple little game made by one guy. Considering all the games that stood out to me over the past 10 years, it's no surprise this one, in particular, comes second because there's just so much to love about it, if not just for the amount of love that's gone into it.
                        The Witcher 3 is a goddamn masterpiece, and I have yet to meet a single person to say otherwise lol. That's a good pick, for sure.

Stardew didn't get me as hard, but then again, I don't like most of its gameplay conceits and yet I still had a great time with it lol

Comment

I agree with Thar on the Witcher 3, game is about as close to a perfect RPG as you can get. Also the only game I have ever played where both DLC were as good or better then the main game.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

I was thinking it wasn't fair to have a GotD conversation as well, considering the bias between early and late games. But then again, half of us picked Dark Souls (or at least put it in the running with the SoulsBorne franchise), and all of your picks are from the beginning of the decade as well lol
                            Those games are heavily responsibles from the heavily regarded games we know today.

Dark Souls created a genre of video games. Fallen Order, The Surge, Nioh, Hollow Knight wouldn't exist without it.

DayZ was the beta form of the survival battle royal style of video games. It paved the way for PUBG and through extension, Fortnite, the biggest game in the world.

Skyrim is why many action games have open world and RPG elements, which countless games tried to ape. From the top of my mind, most of Ubisoft's output, Dragon Age Inquisition, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Witcher 3, even Breath of the Wild are heavily influenced by Skyrim.

Minecraft basically created Streamers. Most likely Pewdiepie wouldn't exist without it (And Amnesia I guess.)

GOTD should be the games that basically create genres or pave the way for countless heavy hitters, which I feel those 4 do.

Comment

Those games are heavily responsibles from the heavily regarded games we know today.

Dark Souls created a genre of video games. Fallen Order, The Surge, Nioh, Hollow Knight wouldn't exist without it.

DayZ was the beta form of the survival battle royal style of video games. It paved the way for PUBG and through extension, Fortnite, the biggest game in the world.

Skyrim is why many action games have open world and RPG elements, which countless games tried to ape. From the top of my mind, most of Ubisoft's output, Dragon Age Inquisition, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Witcher 3, even Breath of the Wild are heavily influenced by Skyrim.

Minecraft basically created Streamers. Most likely Pewdiepie wouldn't exist without it (And Amnesia I guess.)

GOTD should be the games that basically create genres or pave the way for countless heavy hitters, which I feel those 4 do.
                              The problem is that those four games simply improved on existing formula, though. Just because they did it well and got popular as a result, doesn't mean they defined genres or paved the way for other games. Not disputing that they don't each deserve a mention for "Game of the Decade" though, they all played critical roles in the industry. Just that Skyrim's existence shouldn't diminish the impact that Witcher 3 or BotW had.

Comment

Skyrimis why many action games have open world and RPG elements, which countless games tried to ape. From the top of my mind, most of Ubisoft's output, Dragon Age Inquisition, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Witcher 3, even Breath of the Wild are heavily influenced by Skyrim.

Creation will always be less important then innovation when it comes to entertainment, It doesn't really matter to me who did it first just who did it best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

The problem is that those four games simply improved on existing formula, though. Just because they did it well and got popular as a result, doesn't mean they defined genres or paved the way for other games. Not disputing that they don't each deserve a mention for "Game of the Decade" though, they all played critical roles in the industry. Just that Skyrim's existence shouldn't diminish the impact that Witcher 3 or BotW had.
                                  Of course these games are iterations of various formulas that were carried over from other games, but we are talking in a 10 year span, from 2010 to the end of 2019. In that time span, those 4 games influenced many games to the point were if they didn't exist, the landscape of games as we know them today would be vastly different.

For how Skyrim was marketed, Kingdom Come, BOTW, and Witcher 3 are objectively better games in terms of game mechanics, graphics, balance, interactivity. But if Skyrim didn't exist, they too (As we know them) wouldn't exist (And if Oblivion didn't exist, so to would Skyrim not exist).

If Minecraft didn't exist, perhaps streamers wouldn't take off. perhaps the ecelebs we know today would be different. Perhaps Pewdiepie would fade to obscurity and the opportunities that were presented to him would be lost. Hell, the Early Access Voxel based craze during the mid to late 10s can be heavily attributed to MC.

Definitely BR games would have happened at some point even without DayZ, but definitely Fortinte BR and Pubg would NOT exist without it.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Creation will always be less important then innovation when it comes to entertainment, It doesn't really matter to me who did it first just who did it best.
                                    That's not really fair though. For GOTD, how can you compare games released in 2010 to games that literally are only a few months old? Of course they would take the things that people didn't like and refine them. Of course they would have better graphics, better usability, better load times since they have access to today's resources. You'd basically be barring everything pre-2016-2017.

Though time seems to fly by nowadays, even most people would agree that 10 years is a crap ton of time, and in technology 10 years is basically the Fall of Rome.

GOTD should be the games that defined the decade. That if they poofed from existence, you'd have a vastly different landscape. For all the good that BOTW or Horizon Zero Dawn are, if they didn't exist, nothing would look that different.

If Code Vein and Hollow Knight ddin't exist, not much would really change.

But if SKyrim, DayZ, Minecraft, or Dark Souls didn't exist, hundreds of games would poof from existence with them ( and the ones who didn't would look vastly different).

Comment

Zemoco to be fair, by that standard, any games made in 2019 couldn't possibly live up to the games made before, say, 2012.

I'd tend to agree with you, but I can see EodS's point of view too. Witcher 3 is infinitely better than Skyrim, on a technical level, even if the impact was less.

Comment

Guacamelee 2 for sure.
                                        Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
                                        Check me out on Twitch @https://www.twitch.tv/mothmageculpa/

Comment

Working...
                                        X