Anyone got hot takes on the recent Pokemon games and the "controversy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got hot takes on the recent Pokemon games and the "controversy"

If anything I'm glad that all of the dexit outrage showcased just how unbearably autistic the pokemon community is at large

I mean, I'm part of Pokemon Brexit, but I'm not being an ass about it.
    The fanbase is split, I'm just part of the fanbase that has nothing to gain from this new game. I've seen this happening with the last few games, this one just went too far to interest me.
    Pokemon Company has been phoning it in for years, and this was a big slap in the face to a lot of fans from early on. But it's just a franchise.
    I've always been more of a Digimon guy, so this just gives me time to pay more attention to that series.
    I would have gladly paid the money and played the game if they would have included all the pokemon. But they didn't. Oh well.

As I've told my friends, it just helps me buy other games and/or save time and money.
    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
    Check me out on Twitch @https://www.twitch.tv/mothmageculpa/

Comment

I'm playing sword, I'm not complaining lol

Comment

My hot take is that Dexit doesn't matter to me. I'm not gonna play it though, because GameFreak forgot how to make a good game at some point.
        Originally posted by Wade
        Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
          My hot take is that Dexit doesn't matter to me. I'm not gonna play it though, because GameFreak forgot how to make a good game at some point.
          It's got its charm. I'm gonna have fun beating kids at it. My cinderace is already level 100. That's before any gym badges too lol

Comment

It looks like more fun than a pokemon game has been in a long time. I'd buy it if I didn't have such an extensive backlog of games to play. (Including Pokemon Moon and Let's Go Eevee)

Comment

It's a piece of shit game with or without all the Pokémon, like every Pokemon game since the transition to 3D.
              Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
              Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Gen. V was the last decent gen. while IV was the last exceptional gen. Prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziku View Post
                  Gen. V was the last decent gen. while IV was the last exceptional gen. Prove me wrong.
                  You're wrong because both BW and BW2 were great games even though HGSS are the best
                  Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

i only play unfinished rom hacks tbh

Originally posted by Ziku View Post
                    nah, X/Y had alot of pretty cool mons. the starters were better than the ones from B/W, and megas were a cool idea for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                      i only play unfinished rom hacks tbh

nah, X/Y had alot of pretty cool mons. the starters were better than the ones from B/W, and megas were a cool idea for a while
                      And kalos was fun to explore for a while. Better than Sinnoh with that bigass, annoyingass mountain in the middle.

Also, X/Y's pokemon league was a bit on the easy side, but that's just because the buffed EXP Share made the level jumps easy. For Platinum, you gotta spend HOURS level grinding just to get up to par, if you weren't overlevelled for gym 8. You know how many goddamn gravellers I've killed?!
                      Last edited by OrganizationXV; November 30th, 2019, 11:02 AM.
                      Originally posted by Wade
                      Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

And kalos was fun to explore for a while. Better than Sinnoh with that bigass, annoyingass mountain in the middle.

Also, X/Y's pokemon league was a bit on the easy side, but that's just because the buffed EXP Share made the level jumps easy. For Platinum, you gotta spend HOURS level grinding just to get up to par, if you weren't overlevelled for gym 8. You know how many goddamn gravellers I've killed?!
                        How bout you git gud
                        Literally never had to grind in a Pokémon game in my life and I always fill up my team as soon as possible and end up underleved as fuck

Comment

use cheats tbh

perseonally, except for rom hacks and fanmade RPGmaker games, I dont play pokemon tbh. i dont like that all you have to do to beat the game is over-level your stuff, which demands either hours of grinding or cheats - both are equally unfun, imo. GF couldve easily introduced a capping mechanic to check that stuff and given the opponents a better AI, better mons, locked battle style to 'Set', forbidden the use of items mid-battle....basically, put in PVP rules to make it more challenging. Instead we get a dumb baby game each gen lol which I guess is to be more accessible to new younger kids with each generation, but it's boring to me.

Comment

See difficulty is a non-issue to me, Pokemon has never been known for difficulty and I doubt that's really the major draw for the average fan. After all turn based games with scaling stats are essentially a case of "bigger number wins" with some exploits gated by knowing things like extra damage or resistance thru affinities, status buffs/debuffs and in some cases turn manipulation (usually through the given "speed" stat) which can all be gamed further through grinding.

The overwhelming draw will always be the monster designs and lore and the world

I'll make it clear that I don't believe that any pokemon game has been particularly exceptional as a game, it stands on the back of the brand name and the huge amount of merchandise

Comment

too bad the designs have getting worse and the lore is almost nonexistent in these new titles lmao

Comment

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
                                too bad the designs have getting worse and the lore is almost nonexistent in these new titles lmao
                                X and Y had some of the best designs in the series, and while generally speaking SM or SS have some mediocre designs there's still plenty of good ones, you sound a little influenced by nostalgia

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post

X and Y had some of the best designs in the series, and while generally speaking SM or SS have some mediocre designs there's still plenty of good ones, you sound a little influenced by nostalgia
                                  "they still have some good designs" =/= "the designs haven't been getting worse"

The art direction is definitely much more cartoony and lifeless and that is reflected on the Pokemon designs themselves.

Comment

"they still have some good designs" =/= "the designs haven't been getting worse"

The art direction is definitely much more cartoony and lifeless and that is reflected on the Pokemon designs themselves.
                                    Are you really insinuating that Pokemon didn't start out "cartoony"?

Also what exactly do you mean by lifeless?

All of that just seems pretty vague

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post

Are you really insinuating that Pokemon didn't start out "cartoony"?

Also what exactly do you mean by lifeless?

All of that just seems pretty vague
                                      The designs were certainly more detailed and weren't complete stick figures with simple shapes or waifubait. Inb4 you post Voltorb or Shuckle or some other stupid design as a counterpoint. The argument is that goofy designs with ridiculous proportions have been becoming the norm, whereas that wasn't the case in earlier gens, but obviously exceptions exist in both cases (duh, each gen introduces 100 new designs)

Pokémon like Eiscue or Impidimp feel more like Yokai Watch monsters. Even "cool" designs like Cinderace and Intelleon feel completely out of place next to Charizard or Sceptile, which are monsters and not humans in fursuits.
                                      ​​​
                                      Last edited by DokTOR.; November 30th, 2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

The designs were certainly more detailed and weren't complete stick figures with simple shapes or waifubait. Inb4 you post Voltorb or Shuckle or some other stupid design as a counterpoint. The argument is that goofy designs with ridiculous proportions have been becoming the norm, whereas that wasn't the case in earlier gens, but obviously exceptions exist in both cases (duh, each gen introduces 100 new designs)

Pokémon like Eiscue or Impidimp feel more like Yokai Watch monsters. Even "cool" designs like Cinderace and Intelleon feel completely out of place next to Charizard or Sceptile, which are monsters and not humans in fursuits.
                                        ​​​
                                        You said Shuckle is a bad design, you're just dumb

Comment

Working...
                                        X