Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Powerful "Useless" ability in an oldschool video game...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Powerful "Useless" ability in an oldschool video game...

Candidates:
    "Ultima" Final Fantasy 6. By the time you got this the first time you played through the game, you're already over-leveled and killing stuff in one hit anyway.

"Final Trump" Final Fantasy 6: Just throw this with Shadow. Fixed Dice is better because it doesn't get nerfed by Offering.

"Chance" Dragon Warrior 2: I still don't know exactly what all this "can" do, but since it has a chance of casting "Sacrifice" with your healer, I never use it. It's not used in the TAS because they win the game before you would have learned this spell. Chance is supposed to be the Princess's ultimate, but Explodet and HealAll are really her best spells.

Taro Cards Dragon Warrior 4: This is useless except in a Tool Assisted game. You are more likely to kill yourself than you are to injure enemies.

If you get very, very, very, very lucky and always avoid fights you don't want, and always make critical hits, and always have enemies make critical misses, you can beat Dragon Warrior 2 at about 1/4th the character level you're intended to be able to win at. Turns out the TAS is not cheating. What happens on the map or during a fight is determined by an RNG plus "when" you hit the input buttons, so waiting for the perfect result speeds up the game. He's not using a cheat code. He's playing the game in 32x slow motion and putting his inputs in the frame that results in the fastest win. This had thousands of reloads to find the best possible outcomes in each short-term and long-term pathing situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ANJR-uKcs
    Last edited by Wade; February 9th, 2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Ultima is pretty OP in conjunction of Dualcast. There is only one Master's Scroll and one easily obtainable Ultima Weapon in the game, the other would need to be stolen way late in the final boss 1 at a time. So not efficient. Given that, Ultima is still pretty useful as it is consistent ~9000 damage.

Comment

There's a pretty strong bat in earthbound that misses 75% of the time lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Dream View Post
          Ultima is pretty OP in conjunction of Dualcast. There is only one Master's Scroll and one easily obtainable Ultima Weapon in the game, the other would need to be stolen way late in the final boss 1 at a time. So not efficient. Given that, Ultima is still pretty useful as it is consistent ~9000 damage.
          In the Gameboy Advance remake, which fixed most of the bugs, there's actually an area where you can win extra Master's Scrolls.

Neither Ultima nor the Ultima Weapon are used in the Celes/Edgar/Setzer only low level game. You train Meltdown and win at level 6 with a party of 3 characters. One level 6 walks in each path of Kefka's Tower, avoiding all fights. This does not require a cheat code nor tool assist. You have no life 3, so you must Rasp final Kefkal in order to ensure he can't cast Ultima during the last 1/4th of his life.

Anyway, there is never a time when you need Ultima, as the low level Meltdown only does about 450dmg per hit, and that is all you need to kill final Kefka.

Comment

Glitched Dragon Warrior 3 speed run. If you have 4 dead characters in your party, the game somehow starts doing funky shit with the items in your inventory. He rigged it to give himself the best gear close to the beginning of the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5k5_IovY5E&t=84s
            Last edited by Wade; February 9th, 2018, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Wow. This is a tools assisted speed run of FF4. Wow. The Pause trick combined with frame perfect inputs allows incredible battle manipulation. Roll max damage and massacre bosses in a few hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHeDD8Dwz1Q

I think this is "glitchless". Had he used the Mist skip glitch he could cut a few minutes off this, but I haven't watched this yet all the way through.

Okay, he didn't do the Mist Skip because he proved the early knife doesn't save any time at all. Hist Antlion fight is incredibly fast.

This means the AGDQ speed run needs to be redone using the Pause trick, because they were not using the Pause trick on that run.
              Last edited by Wade; February 9th, 2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

The Gluon Gun in Halo. Badass looking, extremely power, but sadly objectively inferior compared to the Tau Cannon.

Also, stuff like Ultimate being relatively not as effective as Meltdown makes me dissapointed. More of a reason for me to want to learn how to effectively hack FFVI.

Comment

Idk but turnbased mechanics are super interesting stuff to me as well. Have you ever tried DQ9 Wade?

Comment

• Dark Dream
                    Dark Dream commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love how every ultimate ability becomes irrelevant to the UFB combo, it's a shame honestly.

Extreme Cold, I think It's called? It's an OHKO in Pokemon that only hits 30% of the time.
                  (Just waiting for another set)

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                    Extreme Cold, I think It's called? It's an OHKO in Pokemon that only hits 30% of the time.
                    *sheer cold
                    All OHKO moves accuracy in Pokemon depend on your and the enemy Pokemons lvl.It gets higher the higher your lvl is compared to the the enemies and it gets lower if the enemy is higher level then you.

It's pretty useless outside battle tower where its functions get fucked after awhile and the enemy will always hit you with it.
                    Haven't played Pokemon for 5 years and I still know more then you lol

Comment

Originally posted by blah View Post

*sheer cold
                      All OHKO moves accuracy in Pokemon depend on your and the enemy Pokemons lvl.It gets higher the higher your lvl is compared to the the enemies and it gets lower if the enemy is higher level then you.

It's pretty useless outside battle tower where its functions get fucked after awhile and the enemy will always hit you with it.
                      Haven't played Pokemon for 5 years and I still know more then you lol
                      Looks like that changed after gen VII, so uh... Get wrecked, nerd.

Comment

Looks like that changed after gen VII, so uh... Get wrecked, nerd.
                        What did they change?

Comment

"Hurtmore" in Dragon Warrior 1 is useless. You should save all your MP for Healmore, unless you are ridiculously over-leveled and just goofing around.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                            "Hurtmore" in Dragon Warrior 1 is useless. You should save all your MP for Healmore, unless you are ridiculously over-leveled and just goofing around.
                            Dragon Quest I is inbalanced, period. Another game that needs a remake

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Dream View Post

Dragon Quest I is inbalanced, period. Another game that needs a remake
                              I can beat it as early as level 17 with equipment, and I have defeated the Dragon Lord in a no equipment challenge game.

Comment

Originally posted by blah View Post
                                What did they change?
                                The accuracy.

Comment

The accuracy.
                                  From 33% to 30% and something about ice type Pokemon.
                                  They just added more shit to it(which is confusing cause nobody cares about OHKO moves)

Comment

• OrganizationXV
                                    OrganizationXV commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    That's the other thing, lol. They're garbage moves anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57jUrDd0fuw

Okay, this is a glitched tool assisted speedrun of final fantasy 4.

Glitches used:
                                  Mist Skip glitch to get Dancing Daggers.
                                  Tellah MP overflow ot use Meteor early.
                                  Stairs Glitch to skip second half of the game.
                                  Ability glitch to one-shot Zeromus.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                  Auto-Saved
                                  x
                                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                  x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                  Working...
                                  X