FFVII Remake Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cid View Post

I can definitely help out with the chocobo breeding. I'm a damn master at it. Lolololol.

Just let me know when you decide to pick it back up and we can discuss it. :)
    He's not lying, he made a dummy's guide to Chocobo Breeding for a friend

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory View Post

He's not lying, he made a dummy's guide to Chocobo Breeding for a friend
      Damn. I'll have to check it out cause my Chocobo Breeding needs a lot of work lol.

Comment

Yeah, Cid has it down to a science

Comment

It's not really a guide you can "check out". I just know lots of little tricks to make the process a heck of a lot easier and faster. Like how to instantly tell what type of chocobo you're fighting based on the enemies it's with. (very helpful when you have to catch that "wonderful" class chocobo to breed with the black one to get a golden one.) As well as the locations for all the types of nuts you'll need for the breeding and how to pass the time in the game to make a chocobo be able to breed again. (it's just fighting battles. You have to fight somewhere between 5 and 10 battles, pending on the chocobo)

Comment

Maybe we'll get to see an actual scene of Seto dying to protect Cosmo Canyon. I'll cry for days if we do.

Comment

Well, if it's going to be as expansive as the interviews imply. We very well may get the history of Seto

Comment

Weird that this thread hasn't been bumped since 2015.

OH WAIT. NO IT ISN'T. BECAUSE THE LAST TIME WE GOT NEWS OUT OF THE FF7 REMAKE WAS IN 2015.

Not anymore.

Square Enix dropped a short teaser a couple days ago and promises more news to come in June. There's also some salacious rumors going around about the game's release date.

It could release this year.

At Square's most recent investor's meeting, they randomly decided to forecast record-breaking profits for their third business quarter, which is the holiday shopping season. When investors asked why, the President and CEO of SE coyly said they would have some big news in the lead-up to E3. Also of note, despite having just released the Xbox One and Switch versions of FFX/X-2 and FFXII... The Final Fantasy Facebook and Twitter pages are all about the FF7 Remake right now. Finally, Square just made some beefy upgrades to their website. The kinds of upgrades you'd make if you were expecting a flood of traffic.

So... We might get a release date for the Remake (or maybe Episode 1? Is it still episodic?) at E3. And that release date might be Holiday 2019.

Comment

Boy I sure am glad we get a sterile real time combat engine as opposed to totally outdated turn based, Squeenix def gets game design

Comment

I can only hope it’s not a mash fest like Kingdom hearts was. Supposedly there’s supposed to be traces of the original combat system in it. So some kind of cool down system might be in place so you can’t spam.

seriously though this game is taking forever. The usual sign that square Enix is having problems again even though they said that they wouldn’t have this problem after 15 and that they’d restructure the company.
                    Last edited by Color of Cid Haki; May 14th, 2019, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• Cid
                      Cid commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey faggot. Stop disappearing for months at a time. I miss you.

Few more rumors starting to make the rounds over the past couple days.

1. The game will still be episodic, but it will only be two episodes as opposed to three or even five as original thought.

Makes a lot of sense, given that Square intended for each "episode" to be equivalent to a full-length Final Fantasy title. I'm assuming the first episode will end on Aerith's death, much like the first disc did. That first portion of the game is incredibly dense with content, when you think about it. You have Midgar, the Nibelheim flashback, the journey to Junon and trip across the ocean, the Gold Saucer and Corel Prison, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim and Mt. Nibel, Rocket Town and Wutai, the search for the keystone, the Temple of the Ancients, and then the search for Aerith and the Forgotten City. That is a TON of content. (On the flip side, the second and third discs combined only have a few key parts. Icicle Inn and The Great Glacier, the Northern Crater, the search for Cloud, the huge materia quests, the Junon reactor and the launch into space, the return to Midgar, and the Crater and final confrontation.) By splitting it up into two episodes, they don't run the risk of creating a ton of new content to pad out the game (and it being bad) and instead can merely focus on expanding what was already there. Two episodes would work fine... So long as we're not looking at three or four years between the two releases.

2. The game has a demo and has already been played by a select few reporters who were invited to E3 judges week. The demo will be playable on the E3 show floor after Square's conference, which will focus heavily on the remake.

This makes sense in context with the stuff in my last post. Supposedly, episode 1 is complete. Or nearly complete at least, and will be released this coming November. If it's that far along in development then I completely believe that there's going to be a playable demo at E3. Fingers crossed that the demo is also released to the public. This remake has been divisive because it's moving away from the turn-based combat that the original fans grew up with. Pair that with the poor reception from long-time series fans for FF13 and the lukewarm reception for FFXV and you've got a recipe for disaster if nobody gets to try the new combat system out before release.

Originally posted by Color of Cid Haki View Post
                    I can only hope it’s not a mash fest like Kingdom hearts was. Supposedly there’s supposed to be traces of the original combat system in it. So some kind of cool down system might be in place so you can’t spam.

seriously though this game is taking forever. The usual sign that square Enix is having problems again even though they said that they wouldn’t have this problem after 15 and that they’d restructure the company.

Well, we already know that this game had some trouble development a few years back when Square essentially fired CyberConnect2, brought development back in-house, and news leaked that they had to start development over from scratch... But I have faith that the remake is going to be glorious.
                    Last edited by Cid; May 18th, 2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Color of Cid Haki View Post

Let's see here... Variable combos, magic, finishers (both based on teammates and your current Keyblade), attractions, flowmotion, dodging and blocking, summons, shotlock... Yep, literally all you do in Kingdom Hearts is press x and then you win. There's no layer of strategy here, no sir.

And you definitely can't play through the vast majority of FF games by pressing (attack->first monster it highlights) × the number of party members you have.

Comment

• Color of Cid Haki
                        Color of Cid Haki commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well To be clear I’m referencing the current KH game 3. Kh 3 literally you had so many moves that just nuked everything even regular keyblade attacks turned into massive aoe that killed everything. Made they game into a easy masher. I liked the previous cool down systems better in KH.

Maybe it'll have FF15's combat system where you hold down on a single button for the whole fight and watch the game play itself.
                      Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                      I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                        And you definitely can't play through the vast majority of FF games by pressing (attack->first monster it highlights) × the number of party members you have.
                        You really can't. Not if you don't level grind often. You do that and go through any Final Fantasy game you'll die pretty quickly. Heck, even if you do some minor level grinding you can die pretty quickly. Boot up FF7 and play through the first 20 minutes, go straight through, and do nothing but normal attacks and I promise the Guard Scorpion will destroy you. lol

Comment

You really can't. Not if you don't level grind often. You do that and go through any Final Fantasy game you'll die pretty quickly. Heck, even if you do some minor level grinding you can die pretty quickly. Boot up FF7 and play through the first 20 minutes, go straight through, and do nothing but normal attacks and I promise the Guard Scorpion will destroy you. lol
                          I worded that poorly, sorry. You can play through most of each Final Fantasy just hitting attack and you'll make it through. Bosses are the exception, but most of your time is gonna be spent in random encounters that you're actually discouraged from wasting resources like MP on.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

I worded that poorly, sorry. You can play through most of each Final Fantasy just hitting attack and you'll make it through. Bosses are the exception, but most of your time is gonna be spent in random encounters that you're actually discouraged from wasting resources like MP on.
                            There's plenty of normal encounters too, though. All it takes is getting the unlucky combination of enemies. In the forests just outside of Junon you can run into a group of five Cappawire. They're quick to attack and quickly pile on over a thousand damage if they're targeting a single character. That's the spot where I tend to level limit breaks early in the game. But I've actually died to a group of them because I was careless and didn't keep a check on how much damage they had racked on while I was letting a limit build. Imagine being an average player and not 20 levels above what you'd normally be at that point. There is, of course, the dragons in the Nibelheim mountains as well. You can steal gold armlets from them, best armor at that point in the game so I make sure to try and grab a bunch of them when I'm there. He can dish out a thousand or so damage in one hit with his bite attack. That's typically about half the average player's health. There's the Mu outside the chocobo farm right at the beginning of the game. They come with L4 suicide, instant death to any character with a level that's a multiple of 4. There are the bombs, good bit of HP and they explode for massive damage after taking a few hits... Of course there's also the Midgar Zolom, he's basically a mini-boss early on, however. But it's still a normal enemy that you can accidentally get in a fight with. The average player can't beat it on the first encounter. Even a superleveled player like me who's typically 10-20 levels above average can get killed by it at that point.

And that's not mentioning the Unknowns on the Sunken Gelinka and the myriad of dangerous beasties like the Behemoths and Tonberry in the northern crater.

The point I'm making is that Final Fantasy games were actually notoriously tough to just go through while only attacking and not making use of magic and skills. They typically only seem easy because people like us tend to level a bit between major plot points and stay above the recommended levels.

Comment

There's plenty of normal encounters too, though. All it takes is getting the unlucky combination of enemies. In the forests just outside of Junon you can run into a group of five Cappawire. They're quick to attack and quickly pile on over a thousand damage if they're targeting a single character. That's the spot where I tend to level limit breaks early in the game. But I've actually died to a group of them because I was careless and didn't keep a check on how much damage they had racked on while I was letting a limit build. Imagine being an average player and not 20 levels above what you'd normally be at that point. There is, of course, the dragons in the Nibelheim mountains as well. You can steal gold armlets from them, best armor at that point in the game so I make sure to try and grab a bunch of them when I'm there. He can dish out a thousand or so damage in one hit with his bite attack. That's typically about half the average player's health. There's the Mu outside the chocobo farm right at the beginning of the game. They come with L4 suicide, instant death to any character with a level that's a multiple of 4. There are the bombs, good bit of HP and they explode for massive damage after taking a few hits... Of course there's also the Midgar Zolom, he's basically a mini-boss early on, however. But it's still a normal enemy that you can accidentally get in a fight with. The average player can't beat it on the first encounter. Even a superleveled player like me who's typically 10-20 levels above average can get killed by it at that point.

And that's not mentioning the Unknowns on the Sunken Gelinka and the myriad of dangerous beasties like the Behemoths and Tonberry in the northern crater.

The point I'm making is that Final Fantasy games were actually notoriously tough to just go through while only attacking and not making use of magic and skills. They typically only seem easy because people like us tend to level a bit between major plot points and stay above the recommended levels.
                              That might be the case for 7, but it isn't for all of them. Or at least, it's not for IV or VI from what I remember.

IV gave us a starting character that who was intentionally overpowered compared to the rest of the party and at least the early game. He had no magic, and could outclass all of the magic users except Telah if you burn through MP like crazy. Speaking of which, Ethers were a rare find through most of the game, which made your MP more precious. If you were gonna fight a grueling boss at the end of a dungeon, (especially late-game, when you need haste and slow and shell and all kinds of revives and heals going), you'll want to make absolutely sure that you save your Mana for only healing when you need it.

The point I'm making is that the option to mash X is always there, but it's super reductive to act like that's all there is to do in combat when you have all these other things to take into account.
                              Last edited by OrganizationXV; May 20th, 2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Coming March 3rd, 2020. A couple months later than expected but still excitingly close.

New trailer shows off some interesting new content that wasn't in the original title as well as revealing one of the Shinra Executives, Heidegger.

Comment

Yes they put ATB in the remake

Comment

It's gay and you're gay

at least they're remastering 8, a better game

Comment

Working...
                                    X