What game are you currently playing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

I still haven't tried NG+ I always end up just restarting from the beginning.

I feel like this is such a cop out though, "our story isn't compelling because we have to account for player choice" . That just means you should have multiple compelling narratives for each choice, I enjoy Skyrim but you can be in a town full of racists as a member of the race they hate and they wont even acknowledge it.
    It really is a cop out but I really blame the writers over the mechanics. Then again, it's hard as fuck to juggle a ton of possible permutations like that

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

It really is a cop out but I really blame the writers over the mechanics. Then again, it's hard as fuck to juggle a ton of possible permutations like that
      Don't get me wrong i'm not saying you can't have a compelling narrative while also having customization, current Bioware is a meme but ME2 is still an amazing RPG. Most devs are just lazy and use it as an excuse to make a generic story that "fits everyone" or they go the Bethesda route and ignore their own lore and you have a Giant Lizard Dragonborn.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

I feel like this is such a cop out though, "our story isn't compelling because we have to account for player choice" . That just means you should have multiple compelling narratives for each choice, I enjoy Skyrim but you can be in a town full of racists as a member of the race they hate and they wont even acknowledge it.
        "Cop out" implies the standard for sandbox RPG games is to have a good story and said game fell short of that and used that (the game mechanics) as an excuse. I disagree, The Witcher is the outlier here.
        Sandbox Role Playing games very rarely have consistently great story arcs because there are so many options for each quest, I'm sure you can find a few quests with compelling stories but for games with millions of lines of text it's bound to be scarce. People who buy games from that specific sub-genre know what they're getting themselves into and freedom of choice and how these choices affect the game's world are by far the main attractions. Focusing on the narrative for each quest (when those games have thousands) easily means 3-4 more years of development, and as I mentioned the developers don't conveniently have a several-volume novel to take ideas from.
        TW3 is an action-RPG (and really, barely a role-playing game at all if you want to take its definition literally) and it's expected to have a good story, Mount & Blade is a sandbox RPGs and while a compelling story would be a nice bonus, it's never their purpose. Just like having a lot of choices for the player to make is also a bonus in the former.
        tl;dr it's unfair to hold "create your own characters" RPGs to the same standards of games like The Witcher 3 whose main purpose is to tell a good story.

Comment

Got some more trophies on Steep. Just have to gold medal some Japan events to get myself back up to 100% now.
          Japan DLC is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind sticking it out on this mastiff for a while. But most people that have it that I'd play with will only have the Alps and possibly Alaska (I'm pretty sure it's free).
          Got 1 gold medal in Korea, though. That's all that was required there. Probably because it's the same events as the Road to the Olympics story.
          That's really all I've done on the DLC until today.
          I'll probably wait until I stream some more Steep to nab some more medals and go through the story and explore more of Japan.
          Korea/Japan's story events are the only story events I have left.

About to hop on and stream some more One Piece World Seeker.
          I'm supposed to rescue the straw hats now. Just reached chapter 6.
          Last edited by Culpa the Moth Mage; April 3rd, 2019, 07:23 PM.
          Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
          Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
          PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 75 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

Originally posted by Louay View Post

"Cop out" implies the standard for sandbox RPG games is to have a good story and said game fell short of that and used that (the game mechanics) as an excuse. I disagree, The Witcher is the outlier here.
            Sandbox Role Playing games very rarely have consistently great story arcs because there are so many options for each quest, I'm sure you can find a few quests with compelling stories but for games with millions of lines of text it's bound to be scarce. People who buy games from that specific sub-genre know what they're getting themselves into and freedom of choice and how these choices affect the game's world are by far the main attractions. Focusing on the narrative for each quest (when those games have thousands) easily means 3-4 more years of development, and as I mentioned the developers don't conveniently have a several-volume novel to take ideas from.
            TW3 is an action-RPG (and really, barely a role-playing game at all if you want to take its definition literally) and it's expected to have a good story, Mount & Blade is a sandbox RPGs and while a compelling story would be a nice bonus, it's never their purpose. Just like having a lot of choices for the player to make is also a bonus in the former.
            tl;dr it's unfair to hold "create your own characters" RPGs to the same standards of games like The Witcher 3 whose main purpose is to tell a good story.
            The thing is most of these games get 3-4 years of development if not more. There was just an article released about Anthem revealing that they had 7 years to work on the game and spent 5 of those years dicking around. It was so bad that the E3 trailer they showed was completely fake because they hadn't actually done anything as recently as 2017. I get that the Witcher 3 has source material but from everything I have heard the characters and story aren't similar at all, if you are going to tell a story spanning 100's of hours then it needs to be good (especially if the combat isn't even that great).

Comment

Just installed and funneled a few hours into Dead Cells. Seems really fun so far.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
                Just installed and funneled a few hours into Dead Cells. Seems really fun so far.
                You think DC will get a ROR2 treatment someday? If so, I'd me more inclined to play it. The 2D gameplay is kind of a turn off for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post

You think DC will get a ROR2 treatment someday? If so, I'd me more inclined to play it. The 2D gameplay is kind of a turn off for me.
                  Not sure; don’t suspect so, tho.

See, I’m cool with 2D (first games I’ve played were Mario and Sonic games of one form or another). So it’s basically my element, lol.

Comment

Dead Cells is an excellent game, and I'm glad to hear more people pick it up.

Comment

So I just finished Guacamelee STCE 100% for the normal mode.

I liked the game (Super Mexitroid Beat-Em-Up Edition is not something I would have personally thought up in all honesty), the challenges were fun, the combat was fun, the music was fun, turning into a chicken (and kicking ass as a chicken) was fun.

Overall, just a fun game.

Not sure if I'll go through it on hard mode.

...Got a lot...like, seriously, a lot...of other Steam games I haven't finished.

I downloaded another one today, actually, because it was so interesting (Overwhelm, which is an interesting game, but the enemy placement can be kind of ass).
                      Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; April 5th, 2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Mafia 2 is pretty good. I've had it for years, what took me so long? Vehicles control like molasses though, but I think that's the point.

After it will probably be Far Cry 3. I'll also likely start Transistor this weekend as well.

And yet, still a shit ton of stuff to play. Backlogs are a pain.

Comment

So I just finished Guacamelee STCE 100% for the normal mode.

I liked the game (Super Mexitroid Beat-Em-Up Edition is not something I would have personally thought up in all honesty), the challenges were fun, the combat was fun, the music was fun, turning into a chicken (and kicking ass as a chicken) was fun.

Overall, just a fun game.

Not sure if I'll go through it on hard mode.

...Got a lot...like, seriously, a lot...of other Steam games I haven't finished.

I downloaded another one today, actually, because it was so interesting (Overwhelm, which is an interesting game, but the enemy placement can be kind of ass).
                          The sequel is better in literally every way. Love that series. Got Chara to play it a bit and he loves it, too. The memes are gold.
                          Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
                          PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 75 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

Originally posted by Culpa the Moth Mage View Post

The sequel is better in literally every way. Love that series. Got Chara to play it a bit and he loves it, too. The memes are gold.
                            When I have the money, I'll get the second one. (I can technically afford it, but all the money's gonna be funneled into other things, lol).

For now, it's just gonna have to sit on a wish list.

Comment

When I have the money, I'll get the second one. (I can technically afford it, but all the money's gonna be funneled into other things, lol).

Comment

I love it lmao. I played mostly as flame face. The best part for me was clearing El Infierno.

Comment

Almost finished with chapter 8 of World Seeker. Absolutely love this game. I spent 6 hours today side questing. I'm almost ready to move on with the story. I'm about half through with the story. Best One Piece game yet.

Comment

I been getting back into Diablo 3, that's my main game right now. I took a break from dead cells because it got pretty brutal after I unlocked hard mode. I'll come back to it eventually but it got me pissed off

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post
                                      I been getting back into Diablo 3, that's my main game right now. I took a break from dead cells because it got pretty brutal after I unlocked hard mode. I'll come back to it eventually but it got me pissed off
                                      Can't wait to play both of those eventually lol
                                      And I really can't wait to throw down on some couch co-op ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Culpa the Moth Mage View Post

Can't wait to play both of those eventually lol
                                        And I really can't wait to throw down on some couch co-op ;)
                                        Totally dude. My games are your games uwu

Comment

Risk of Rain 2 is big lit. Everyone get a copy, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                          X