Boku No Hero Academia Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tenryuunaito View Post
    MHA learned nothing from its biggest inspiration, Naruto, and is succumbing to typical shounen protagonist power creep.

Don't be surprised if I end up dropping this at some point.
    In fairness the other big complaint with Naruto and other shounen is how limited the main protag's move set is. Naruto is 800 chapters of Rasegan and Shadow clones, can't blame the author for thinking people would get tired of some kid punching really hard.

Comment

MHA

typical shounen protagonist power creep.

yeah

Comment

No point in the message of hard work and perseverance if you can just gift the protag 7 powers because the best guy in the world likes him. It's like that child of destiny nonsense. Now, whenever some fucker with super duper "all is lost" powers gives the kids a major problem, guess what'll surface in the nick of time.

Well, not like the series was anything special to start.
        Cows - Shaking

Comment

Originally posted by Salvador Kali View Post
          No point in the message of hard work and perseverance if you can just gift the protag 7 powers because the best guy in the world likes him.
          ...Midoriya gets Seven quirks later in the series...?

...That is so stupid...

Comment

Also, does anybody know what music it is that plays during this scene?

I cannot seem to find it anywhere, and I know that the soundtrack is released (it's available on Youtube).

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

In fairness the other big complaint with Naruto and other shounen is how limited the main protag's move set is. Naruto is 800 chapters of Rasegan and Shadow clones, can't blame the author for thinking people would get tired of some kid punching really hard.
            At some level, the Throwing that rock didn't work? Get a bigger rock!!! principle will always be valid.

Comment

Gotta say, I love the sheer amounts of discussion this development has generated online. That's a huge part of the fun of entertainment media.

Comment

7 quirks? Lmao glad I dropped this awhile ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

At some level, the Throwing that rock didn't work? Get a bigger rock!!! principle will always be valid.
                  True, especially from a branding standpoint. I mean the dumbass Kamehameha wave is iconic, but me personally if you are going to create a world with hundreds of moves and abilities I need my protag to know more then two. Moves like Getsuga Jujisho will always be lame to me.

Comment

If it's a matter of having a diverse moveset, then maybe Horikoshi should have thought twice before giving Izuku a strength-based Quirk.

Comment

If it's a matter of having a diverse moveset, then maybe Horikoshi should have thought twice before giving Izuku a strength-based Quirk.
                      I mean, strength-based superpowers can be used creatively beyond mere punches and kicks. All sorts of characters have done this.

Before Izuku started mastering One For All (I assume the anime and the manga overlap fairly well...), he came up with (fairly) creative solutions to problems that seemingly would require him to break his whole body to solve (see him using his fingers like gun ammo during the fight with Todoroki, to minimize damage and maximize the amount of usage of his quirk over a longer period of time).

The nature of his super strength means he can destroy and manipulate things in all sorts of crazy and hectic ways if he feels like it; he doesn't need six more quirks to create a more diverse fighting style, just better writers. Maybe one more quirk, but that's about it. Hell, even a supplement to his costume, like Bakugo's grenade-gloves, could help mix things up.

And if it's really that hard, just give him some more martial arts training, or put him in situations where his super strength can be aided and supplemented by other team members or other factors (like with the fight against Hero-Killer). Or just downgrade the villains from whatever power level they originally planned to occupy, or whatever they're currently occupying through events that unfold in the plot (if possible without screwing with it even more, like how Madara was taken out by introducing Kaguya because he basically couldn't be killed otherwise).

(And seriously, what IS the music that plays during this scene? I like it).
                      Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; January 21st, 2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

I mean, strength-based Quirks can be used creatively beyond mere punches and kicks. All sorts of characters have done this.

Before Izuku started mastering One For All (I assume the anime and the manga overlap fairly well...), he came up with (fairly) creative solutions to problems that seemingly would require him to break his whole body to solve (see him using his fingers like gun ammo during the fight with Todoroki, to minimize damage and maximize the amount of usage of his quirk over a longer period of time).

The nature of his super strength means he can destroy and manipulate things in all sorts of crazy and hectic ways if he feels like it; he doesn't need six more quirks to create a more diverse fighting style, just better writers. Maybe one more quirk, but that's about it. Hell, even a supplement to his costume, like Bakugo's grenade-gloves, could help mix things up.

And if it's really that hard, just give him some more martial arts training, or put him in situations where his super strength can be aided and supplemented by other team members or other factors (like with the fight against Hero-Killer). Or just downgrade the villains from whatever power level they originally planned to occupy, or whatever they're currently occupying through events that unfold in the plot (if possible without screwing with it even more, like how Madara was taken out by introducing Kaguya because he basically couldn't be killed otherwise).

(And seriously, what IS the music that plays during this scene? I like it).
                        1536231941291.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Louay View Post
                          "why work hard to use my one-note power creatively when i can just asspull 7 quirks whenever i need them?"
                          Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                          Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Oh hey discussion. Yeah 7 quirks is WACK.

Maybe I could let it pass if most of them were lesser quirks that could be utilized in creative ways, but that's not how it's gonna play out.

Comment

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

"why work hard to use my one-note power creatively when i can just asspull 7 quirks whenever i need them?"
                              O MY 7 QUIRKS

Comment

Modern shounen is officially dead. All we have left is Black Clover now.

I'll see myself out.

Comment

Modern shounen is officially dead. All we have left is Black Clover now.

I'll see myself out.
                                  we still got DBS :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ladd View Post

we still got DBS :)
                                    KYS with a wooden spoon and used condoms.

Comment

People on /a/ have been bitching about the 7 quirks (and everything really, what else is new).

I don't get what's so bad about it. People claim it was an asspull, when it was foreshadowed as early as 2015.

There is no ay Deku will master all 7 quirks. It would be bullshit and everyoe would be right to hate it. But the way I wold see is Deku will have find 1 quirk very useful (Possibly even more useful to him than OFA), 2 quirks marginally or situationally useful, and the other 4 completely foreign and unusable to him.

Deku might find some way to give these quirks to his friends. I'd say a good trade off would be if he does, he can't use OFA

Comment

Originally posted by Zemoco View Post
                                        People on /a/ have been bitching about the 7 quirks (and everything really, what else is new).

I don't get what's so bad about it. People claim it was an asspull, when it was foreshadowed as early as 2015.

There is no ay Deku will master all 7 quirks. It would be bullshit and everyoe would be right to hate it. But the way I wold see is Deku will have find 1 quirk very useful (Possibly even more useful to him than OFA), 2 quirks marginally or situationally useful, and the other 4 completely foreign and unusable to him.

Deku might find some way to give these quirks to his friends. I'd say a good trade off would be if he does, he can't use OFA
                                        Shu summed it up pretty well I think, BnHA already gets a ton of flak over Deku having the world's strongest quirk handed to him on a silver platter, and now he's getting 6 MORE?

Comment

Working...
                                        X