Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My main problem with current shonen(OP and Boruto in particular) let's talk, how do you feel about Shonen right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main problem with current shonen(OP and Boruto in particular) let's talk, how do you feel about Shonen right now?

Rushed rant

After 20+ years with shonen there is only so much one can take until it get's really dry.

One Piece: For me it started out really good, I was digging it, was I buying into hype? Fuck no(It ain't ALL that relax lol). Further down the line I started to realize that, again this is just in my experience, One Piece is starting to get really "stale". Like the villains themselves are not....that...intimidating perhaps its the artstyle or maybe it's their motives or their powers. I felt the most "intimidating" villains err antagonists were akainu, doffy, and lucci, oh maybe kaido(He has little screen time but still) but other than that everyone just seems...filler-ish. Even now, Luffy is fighting this katakuri guy and I feel like nothing is progressing, like the fighting is dragged on to hell which is another issue I have with OP lately. And even now his gear 4 just ran out so he's gotta wait a whole 10 minutes to use it again, so in turn its likely gonna be luffy running away.....alot, it's like can we hurry this up? Then we get to the powers, yeah sure most of the time they're unique I totally get it but uniqueness can only go so far until you've seen it over and over, example Big Mom her thing with soul removal its like ok cool but I've seen that like a gazillion times in other shows and manga, superhuman strength im pretty past that, the scream thing she does is cool but again been there done that. Don't take this the wrong way I can tolerate one piece it's just that lately it feels really boring.

On the plus side however, somehow I'm still interested in knowing what One Piece really is.

Boruto: This is a tricky one, as Im in the minority I'm loving it so far both manga and anime(Mostly manga however) BUT there are some issues. One is the direction, it has no clear cut set in stone direction of where it wants to end up at and granted it just started I get it but its a monthly series with 30+ episodes in anime already and nearly 20 chapters in manga, that's enough time to make clear where it's headed. The anime is hindering the series as it feels more like a daily school trip rather than a story about naruto's ninja son and his ninja buds granted they're not even genin yet in the anime but still pacing is abysmal. The manga certainly is more interesting by introducing the Kara but again each chapter feels heavily dragged on with pointless dialogue taking up full pages and they're trying way to hard to create a conflict between boruto and naruto when in reality it's not necessary. There are literally no noteworthy villains that made their presence be known. Manga artstyle will throw alot of people off.

On the plus side, I really do appreciate the fact that side characters are getting more screentime and AT LEAST the new guy is trying to make things interesting regarding the kara. Also the animation regarding the anime version is pretty fucking good on a consistent basis even after 30+ episodes.
    I am the ultimate insanity!! I AM CARNAGE!!

it's a wasteland

Comment

All long running shounen have the exact same issue for me, they start out relatively grounded then they turn into boring power spam garbage. For example when Naruto first started there was a lot more hand to hand combat and ninja tools like shuriken actually served a purpose, by the end people were nuking countries off the map. Even one piece (which I actually like) did this to a lesser degree, back during the Baroque Works arc the entire fight was like a western saloon brawl now Zoro can cut ships in half with a flick of his wrist. It's the reason Kingdom is one of the few weekly series I actually look forward to, the constant need to take things to the next level works fine for 14-16 year olds (which is the target audience) but as someone who is older it does nothing for me.

Comment

OP's problem is just pacing. Reading it a chapter a week can feel like nothing is progressing. Slow build stories with strong set up tend to be like that. Best thing you can do is put it on hold then come back when the arc is done.

Boruto's problem is that it's a shallow imitation of the original. They've effectively shitted on everything that was memorable or even great about part 1(if the 4th shinobi war didn't do that already) mostly because they dumbed it down for kids. I mean we got Ninjas i.e. trained killers telling other trained killers not to kill. Shit is retarded. lol.

I don't know why those are your only two examples tho. Go watch My Hero Academia, and Shokugeki no Soma. Maybe you've just been watching too much battle shounen? Go watch Log Horizon, 3 Gatsu No Lion, or Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnty7 View Post
          Rushed rant

After 20+ years with shonen there is only so much one can take until it get's really dry.

One Piece: For me it started out really good, I was digging it, was I buying into hype? Fuck no(It ain't ALL that relax lol). Further down the line I started to realize that, again this is just in my experience, One Piece is starting to get really "stale". Like the villains themselves are not....that...intimidating perhaps its the artstyle or maybe it's their motives or their powers. I felt the most "intimidating" villains err antagonists were akainu, doffy, and lucci, oh maybe kaido(He has little screen time but still) but other than that everyone just seems...filler-ish. Even now, Luffy is fighting this katakuri guy and I feel like nothing is progressing, like the fighting is dragged on to hell which is another issue I have with OP lately. And even now his gear 4 just ran out so he's gotta wait a whole 10 minutes to use it again, so in turn its likely gonna be luffy running away.....alot, it's like can we hurry this up? Then we get to the powers, yeah sure most of the time they're unique I totally get it but uniqueness can only go so far until you've seen it over and over, example Big Mom her thing with soul removal its like ok cool but I've seen that like a gazillion times in other shows and manga, superhuman strength im pretty past that, the scream thing she does is cool but again been there done that. Don't take this the wrong way I can tolerate one piece it's just that lately it feels really boring.

On the plus side however, somehow I'm still interested in knowing what One Piece really is.

Boruto: This is a tricky one, as Im in the minority I'm loving it so far both manga and anime(Mostly manga however) BUT there are some issues. One is the direction, it has no clear cut set in stone direction of where it wants to end up at and granted it just started I get it but its a monthly series with 30+ episodes in anime already and nearly 20 chapters in manga, that's enough time to make clear where it's headed. The anime is hindering the series as it feels more like a daily school trip rather than a story about naruto's ninja son and his ninja buds granted they're not even genin yet in the anime but still pacing is abysmal. The manga certainly is more interesting by introducing the Kara but again each chapter feels heavily dragged on with pointless dialogue taking up full pages and they're trying way to hard to create a conflict between boruto and naruto when in reality it's not necessary. There are literally no noteworthy villains that made their presence be known. Manga artstyle will throw alot of people off.

On the plus side, I really do appreciate the fact that side characters are getting more screentime and AT LEAST the new guy is trying to make things interesting regarding the kara. Also the animation regarding the anime version is pretty fucking good on a consistent basis even after 30+ episodes.
          Why just those 2?

Comment

Originally posted by Redx View Post
            OP's problem is just pacing. Reading it a chapter a week can feel like nothing is progressing. Slow build stories with strong set up tend to be like that. Best thing you can do is put it on hold then come back when the arc is done.

Boruto's problem is that it's a shallow imitation of the original. They've effectively shitted on everything that was memorable or even great about part 1(if the 4th shinobi war didn't do that already) mostly because they dumbed it down for kids. I mean we got Ninjas i.e. trained killers telling other trained killers not to kill. Shit is retarded. lol.

I don't know why those are your only two examples tho. Go watch My Hero Academia, and Shokugeki no Soma. Maybe you've just been watching too much battle shounen? Go watch Log Horizon, 3 Gatsu No Lion, or Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
            They the most common when shonen is involved that's why I picked em. But I hear you tho.

Originally posted by Future Vision View Post
            Why just those 2?
            They're essentially the most current, common, and most popular so far that's why.

I am the ultimate insanity!! I AM CARNAGE!!

Comment

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
              Yu

Comment

They the most common when shonen is involved that's why I picked em. But I hear you tho.

They're essentially the most current, common, and most popular so far that's why.

Okay.

Comment

I can't get into any of the long running ones unless I started them a very long time ago.
                  I've only watched a few short ones though.
                  Current main interest is mecha tho. Doesn't have any of the weaknesses of the big Shonen series.

Comment

Most Chinese cartoons are garbage atm. lmao

Comment

Originally posted by ShinGaoKaiser View Post
                      I can't get into any of the long running ones unless I started them a very long time ago.
                      I've only watched a few short ones though.
                      Current main interest is mecha tho. Doesn't have any of the weaknesses of the big Shonen series.
                      Though one might argue which is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziku View Post
                        Most Chinese cartoons are garbage atm. lmao
                        Batman's pretty good though.

Comment

Dbs tho
                          Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                          Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

My Hero Academia's the safest shonen I've ever seen.

Comment

Boku no Hero is good.
                              don’t watch Log Horizon lol
                              It’s boring

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
                                Hand Shakers

Comment

don't know why those are your only two examples tho. Go watch My Hero Academia, and Shokugeki no Soma. Maybe you've just been watching too much battle shounen? Go watch Log Horizon, 3 Gatsu No Lion, or Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
                                  Or just watch Jojo, where the fights are anything than just acts of brute force.
                                  Last edited by S3rp3nt3; November 15th, 2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zydeco Honeycup View Post
                                    My Hero Academia's the safest shonen I've ever seen.
                                    Yeah I dropped it not that long ago, it is pretty much the most shonen shonen to ever shonen.

Comment

Originally posted by Yu View Post

Hand Shakers
                                      Hando Shaka is too deep to be shounen

Comment

1.) Stop watching anime and reading manga outright. Trust me, you'll be all the better for it. If you absolutely must, however, see Step: 2.
                                        2.) Stop watching/reading "shōnen" series in particular. If you absolutely must, however, see: Step 3.
                                        3.) Stop watching/reading mainstream series that cater to little boys.

Comment

Working...
                                        X