Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinion what makes a good MC and a Rival for said MC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
    You should just go for Breaking Bad. One Piece is absolutely not worth the time investment.
    I was considering both at one point or another...thinking of going for Breaking Bad first anyways, it's shorter, and I can trust it to give me something more interesting than One Piece anyway.

That being said, I won't discount One Piece as something to go for in general, as it does have interesting elements to it that I'd like to check out.

And if it gets too boring for me, I can always just dump it in favor of something else.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
      I was considering both at one point or another...thinking of going for Breaking Bad first anyways, it's shorter, and I can trust it to give me something more interesting than One Piece anyway.

That being said, I won't discount One Piece as something to go for in general, as it does have interesting elements to it that I'd like to check out.

And if it gets too boring for me, I can always just dump it in favor of something else.
      Breaking Bad is legit a 10\10 dude, you won't regret it unless you start to marathon it at bad times like I do.

I think OP is worth looking at, but don't get too determined to catch up right away. It's known for being a long slog, both because it's actually long (and super dense) and because it just drags on and on in spots. But if the flavor's enough to carry it through, it does have some great parts.

Comment

>Having a 2010 era "debate" almost a full decade later

Oof. Have some self-respect, fatherfuckers. All y'all are as static as Luffy, Naruto, and Goku themselves, smh.

Don't come at me, ho-mos. ScumLife
        Last edited by Oneiros; January 7th, 2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

Oof. Have some self-respect, fatherfuckers. All y'all are as static as Luffy, Naruto, and Goku themselves, smh.

Don't act like you can't be triggered by a bleach discussion
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5Frq4gbHY

Comment

Breaking Bad is legit a 10\10 dude.
            ehhh
            Saccharine Trust - Our Discovery

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

People who bothered to voice their opinion is a minute drop in the fandom of any series lol. Naruto momentum didn't slow down a bit after that arc. People came online to complain but that is all anyone does on the internet anyways. The internet just lets you find like minded people. Which is why all these groups form.

They were isolated. The arcs may linking elements to greater whole story but the pain arc was strictly about Pain vs the leaf. In fact all the arc are like that. As for you point I am 90% about watching someone getting fucked up in these shows. So of course I don't care for tnj. But to your point on DBZ Goku tries to avoid killing everyone cell legit the only person to stay dead. Which is part of the reason I am not surprised about tnj. It goes back to my original post I was joking about how all these shounens use tnj and become best friends with the enemy. To that point Naruto's tnj on Pein was actually more tasteful then most of these niggas.

Lol you are wrong Naruto was the most popular character contrary to what people may believe he still had a the majority following. I legit just googled it. The consensus is a back and forth between Naruto and Kakashi. With Itachi sometimes pulling to the front. Sasuke wasn't a fan favorite like you think. Especially with his heel turn. Furthermore you forget a massive portion of the fans of the series were just there for the fights. They could give a fuck about the soap opera drama thrown in there. A lot more people than you think like the classic follow the mc and just watch him get stronger fucking everybody up. Why do you think niggas like Goku so much he is clearly not an inspiring icon of character growth, or depth lol
              It wasn't just a fringe group, though. I'm not just talking about people on forums, I'm also talking about anime "reviewers"(lol) and the people who follow them. It was pretty much unanimous - the arc was great, but the resolution was absolutely anti-climactic. It wasn't enough for them to stop watching, sure, but it still left a pretty bad mark.

If they link to an over-arching story then they're not isolated. Goku tried, yea, but thankfully he rarely succeeded in DBZ. That is why DBZ, in spite of having the broken mechanic of dragon balls, still manages to be more satisfying when it delivers a resolution. The main cast gets the holy hell beaten out of them before theyre allowed a victory, and the victory typically demands the complete destruction of the enemy in a spectacular fashion. Everyone who watched the Gohan vs Cell finale was happy, whereas the Naruto vs Pain ending was criticized. Even by the metric of fan reaction, Toriyama had the superior ending.

Minor correction: These are results from polls done in the Jump magazine from Japan, which means it excludes not only non-Japanese audiences but the anime-only watchers as well. Either way, fair enough it is a different result than I would have expected so I will renege this point. In any case, I maintain that tnj is a terrible detriment when used in excess with any character, and that DBZ despite being an even less serious show still managed to be alot more satisfying in the way it closed its arcs with the simple detail of not undoing the villains themselves. Even with Buu, they had him poof out another antagonist to carry the arc to its fantastical finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvador Kali View Post
                ehhh
                its contrived moments werent that bad, dude, dont be a fa....

are we still allowed to use the f word?

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

The specific wording was "If it's obviously between friends". Take that as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

That's just one thing. It's still great television, don't get me wrong.
                    Saccharine Trust - Our Discovery

Comment

Breaking Bad is legit a 10\10 dude, you won't regret it unless you start to marathon it at bad times like I do.

I think OP is worth looking at, but don't get too determined to catch up right away. It's known for being a long slog, both because it's actually long (and super dense) and because it just drags on and on in spots. But if the flavor's enough to carry it through, it does have some great parts.
                      See I think it is just a matter of taste at this point. You hail Breaking Bad as 10/10 but honestly, I'd give it an 7 or 8 out of 10. Other shows have had more of an impact than that for me. Like...

Stranger Things
                      House of Cards
                      Walking Dead
                      Hannibal
                      Lost
                      Gotham
                      Game of Thrones

God knows what else I missed. Granted there might be tiny parts here and there I didn't like in those shows (looking at you Lost) but the overall was pretty damn fantastic. I'd give these shows a 10 out of 10 and I'd do the same with One Piece. Mind you, I'm saying the entire One Piece series as a whole cause well there are some serious padding and deadlines being pushed.

As for Luffy, I believe our impasse is on character growth and that there is subjective. To me he has grown as a person but has also retained his child like adventurous and easily impressed spirit. He still believes people at face value and doesn't try to decipher any ulterior motives someone might have. He doesn't view himself as a role model cause he's only 19 years old still and if you met any number of 19 year olds, none of them think themselves as such regardless of fame they might already have. Just look at youtube people or even better at Pewdiepie and how people defended him his nazi stuff when a guy at his age (around late 20s at the time) and his reach should have known better. He was learning still but through repeated hard experience has he learned now.

I don't know what kind of growth you expected or what kind of character you expected. Maybe you are more use to the serious type of MCs hence repeatedly pointing to Breakin Bad. To me I rather see Luffy happy and having a good time. Sure he gets into some nutty mischief I mean what you expect with a guy who has a rubber body, kinda hard to take him serious all the time, just look at G4.

Yet seeing him happy and still working to achieve his dreams and that despite all the troubles, drama, trauma, being hunted down, repeatedly attacked, all of it! Despite all of it, he still is happy and having a good time. That if he fails and dies, he'll die with a smile because he is glad to know that he at least tried and did his best. That is damn impressive to me.

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
                      I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post

Don't act like you can't be triggered by a bleach discussion
                        Nah bruv, that shit bounce right off the new & improved me because I am dynamic and can actually change with the times much like Ichigo,ja feel?
                        Last edited by Oneiros; January 8th, 2019, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Also, and pardon the 2x post, there is no such thing as a "10/10" piece. Everything, no matter how good, has some imperfections, no matter how minor. As such, you can't assign anything a perfect score in good conscience. 9 or even 9.5/10 reserved for the very best works, I can definitely accept, however.

And then there are those who would find a "flaw" with a theoretically perfect opus simply so they appear "special" to the "uncultured" masses when in reality they come across as snooty pseudo-intellectual hipster faggots, but every opinion counts no matter how worthless in a "democratic" territory, which is the major defect of even a theoretically perfect democracy but I digress.

Comment

Nah bruv, that shit bounce right off the new & improved me because I am dynamic and can actually change with the times much like Ichigo,ja feel?
                            Ichigo dynamic pfft
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j5Frq4gbHY

Comment

>implying the need for a change when im evolutions greatest progeny

Comment

Working...
                              X