Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In your opinion what makes a good MC and a Rival for said MC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In your opinion what makes a good MC and a Rival for said MC?

Not talking about typical shonen I mean all around any series. What qualities does the MC absolutely HAVE to have in order to be liked or keep the reader(you) interested in his/her next goal? Same goes for the Rival. Does the Rival have be the complete opposite of the MC? Does the story between the two have to a light vs dark thing?
    I am the ultimate insanity!! I AM CARNAGE!!

Good MC

Good rival for MC

Comment

• jonnty7
      jonnty7 commented
      Editing a comment
      LOl fuck u lol

Originally posted by Tenryuunaito View Post
    Good MC

Good rival for MC

when did you become a furry? i'm worried for you now

Comment

Originally posted by Lahar View Post

when did you become a furry? i'm worried for you now
      When did you become a Spidey fan? I'm extra worried for you now.

Comment

Good MC: Ariana GrAnde

good rival(s) for MC:
        Mariah Carey
        Janet Jackson
        whitney houston

Comment

It depends on the setting and tone of the story/show really. There's not a certain quality a main character has to have for me to like them and I could do without a rival in most cases.

One reason I could absolutely love one main character could be a reason I completely dislike another. It all depends.

Comment

I don't believe there's a one true answer to this. It's gonna depend on the series for what the characters need to do. Case by case really.

Comment

Originally posted by Color of Cid Haki View Post
              I don't believe there's a one true answer to this. It's gonna depend on the series for what the characters need to do. Case by case really.
              First you take my home state, then you take my avi, and now you take my philosophy.

WHAT WILL YOU LEAVE ME WHEN YOU ARE DONE?

Comment

MC has to have a big dick and the rival has to have a bigger dick and then the series must be about how they strive to showcase who can score more women
                Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

More or less- you'll always have the universally-accepted structure to either have your Protagonist be an ally of Justice- therefore, having your Rival either be his/her Nemesis/Villain, or having your Protagonist be in an Organization/Alliance that is antagonistic towards another Organization/Alliance- that would be your Rival, even if you both share a similar purpose, but different means to achieve such a purpose.
                  That being said, I'm truly curious in what he's attempting to write home about.
                  Jonnty7:
                  Do you have an idea/concept about what you want to write about, in the first place?
                  That would greatly help you- in terms of narrowing your options, and allowing you to pick an a Starting Point to your writing.

Comment

There's really no answer to that question. I took a quick look at the list of my favorite main character and couldn't find anything they had in common, in fact, a main character doesn't even have to be likable to be good. Punpun (from Oyasumi Punpun manga, since this thread is in the a&m section) was a complete fucking faggot, but was still a great character.
                    The closest answer I can give is probably "sympathetic", a character you can identify with and care about, and even then, it's not always the case.

Comment

like...woah
                      Wipers - So Young

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1oaqhbu_tk
                        Last edited by Crismon; June 29th, 2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

A main character is only as good as his villain is, as main characters are usually made to be somewhat bland so you can identify with the character. Of course this isn't always the case, just a regular norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                            Good MC: Ariana GrAnde

good rival(s) for MC:
                            Mariah Carey
                            Janet Jackson
                            whitney houston
                            Ari ain't in their league bruh.

Originally posted by Rabum Alal View Post
                            It depends on the setting and tone of the story/show really. There's not a certain quality a main character has to have for me to like them and I could do without a rival in most cases.

One reason I could absolutely love one main character could be a reason I completely dislike another. It all depends
                            Understandable.

Hm well lets say for certain categories between action, drama, and mystery.

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post
                            More or less- you'll always have the universally-accepted structure to either have your Protagonist be an ally of Justice- therefore, having your Rival either be his/her Nemesis/Villain, or having your Protagonist be in an Organization/Alliance that is antagonistic towards another Organization/Alliance- that would be your Rival, even if you both share a similar purpose, but different means to achieve such a purpose.
                            That being said, I'm truly curious in what he's attempting to write home about.
                            jonnty7:
                            Do you have an idea/concept about what you want to write about, in the first place?
                            That would greatly help you- in terms of narrowing your options, and allowing you to pick an a Starting Point to your writing.
                            Fair enough.

Oh, I've already got what I wanna make when I attempt my action webcomic *Cough* Savages *cough* that I was talking about wayyyy back in MvC just a matter of what direction I want my main guy to go as time progresses. I certainly don't wanna pull the goku syndrome but I also don't want my guy to be the cliche' "Oh look at me I'm silent and cool" act either. Same goes for the I guess you can him a "rival" for my Main character.

Originally posted by Louay View Post
                            There's really no answer to that question. I took a quick look at the list of my favorite main character and couldn't find anything they had in common, in fact, a main character doesn't even have to be likable to be good. Punpun (from Oyasumi Punpun manga, since this thread is in the a&m section) was a complete fucking faggot, but was still a great character.
                            The closest answer I can give is probably "sympathetic", a character you can identify with and care about, and even then, it's not always the case.
                            Huh, interesting take there. Never heard that b4 tbh.

Originally posted by Chaos Theory View Post
                            A main character is only as good as his villain is, as main characters are usually made to be somewhat bland so you can identify with the character. Of course this isn't always the case, just a regular norm.
                            True true.

Thanks gaiz taking notes.

I am the ultimate insanity!! I AM CARNAGE!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonnty7 View Post

Fair enough.

Oh, I've already got what I wanna make when I attempt my action webcomic *Cough* Savages *cough* that I was talking about wayyyy back in MvC just a matter of what direction I want my main guy to go as time progresses. I certainly don't wanna pull the goku syndrome but I also don't want my guy to be the cliche' "Oh look at me I'm silent and cool" act either. Same goes for the I guess you can him a "rival" for my Main character.
                              Is that so?
                              I don't think I was present when you introduced such an idea, so may you explain it to me?
                              It would give a rather solid impression on what you're going for, and it would make me extremely happy to know just how far you've invested yourself into your work.
                              I see.
                              I truly hope that it turns out just how you imagined it to be, at the end of the day. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by jonnty7 View Post
                                Hm well lets say for certain categories between action, drama, and mystery.
                                Well what I'm think of is, are you trying to make me sad, happy, angry, confused, teach me something, etc Your character will need to be made in a way that achieves whatever your series is trying to do. Think about why your character is the way he/she is, could be from environment, people, illness, etc.

My rule of thumb I guess is as long as the character fits the role they're in and makes sense they'll be at least a fine character.

Comment

Walter white

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post
                                    MC has to have a big dick and the rival has to have a bigger dick and then the series must be about how they strive to showcase who can score more women
                                    Is there never not a time when you don't ever have COCK on your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Saffron View Post

Is there never not a time when you don't ever have COCK on your mind?
                                      is there never not a time when you don't ever have my cock on your mind?
                                      Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                                      Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

• Aure0lin
                                        Aure0lin commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        it's not gay because it's only yours
                                    Working...
                                    X