Tengen Toppa Guren Lagan official discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tengen Toppa Guren Lagan official discussion thread

I'm amazed by the fact that this thread didnt exist before.
    Discuss all TTGL anyways
    My laughter when I see stupid posts:

I made this topic because I wanted to share this pic.

33c67e75d585e9f9be4a4684ce396296.jpg .jpg
    My laughter when I see stupid posts:

Comment

you could have just shared it in the anime thread

Comment

• PrezesE
        PrezesE commented
        Editing a comment
        but this thread is still something that should exist, and look it even has some activity.

Comment

Last edited by TheDualWieldedAlchemist; May 3rd, 2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

it's good but really overrated in my opinion

Comment

Became trash after Kamina died, end of.

Comment

the G.O.A.T

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Became trash after Kamina died, end of.
              but Simon was a better character than Kamina....
              Originally posted by #83.6666666667;n457918

That 1/3 is more than ~5% you idiot, but less than 2/3. That makes it most of the population but less than the greatest amount.

Comment

Originally posted by DurdenH View Post
                the G.O.A.T

and

it still became trash after kamina died
                Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor. View Post

and

it still became trash after kamina died
                  not even mad

That 1/3 is more than ~5% you idiot, but less than 2/3. That makes it most of the population but less than the greatest amount.

Comment

Originally posted by DurdenH View Post
                    Simon was "better" in the sense that he had more character development (even though the end result of his metamorphosis was becoming Kamina 2.0, lol), but Kamina was the protag all shonen characters should aspire to be. In other words, Goku sans the autism.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post

Simon was "better" in the sense that he had more character development (even though the end result of his metamorphosis was becoming Kamina 2.0, lol), but Kamina was the protag all shonen characters should aspire to be. In other words, Goku sans the autism.
                      I gotta disagree with you here. Simon inherited Kamina's confidence but not his assholishness or stupidity. He had the best traits of himself and Kamina by the end, which makes him a better character.

And Kamina was still kind of autistic, the series was just self-aware enough to make him the butt of the joke when that happened and to take away that silliness when he did.
                      Last edited by OrganizationXV; May 3rd, 2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                        I gotta disagree with you here. Simon inherited Kamina's confidence but not his assholishness or stupidity. He had the best traits of himself and Kamina by the end, which makes him a better character.
                        The final "battles" (if you can even still call them that) were ridiculous even by DB's extremely dubious standards and the "justification" for fighting, then miraculously winning, them was essentially "muh friendship and will," so... Simon was just as reckless and stupid as, if not more so than, Kamina by the end of the series. Natsu on crack, if you will. And I hear the movie, which I haven't personally seen, was even worse in this regard. lol

-EDIT- Come to think of it, Kamina's assholishness was a plus. So...

And Kamina was still kind of autistic, the series was just self-aware enough to make him the butt of the joke when that happened and to take away that silliness when he did.
                        This, I can agree with.
                        Last edited by Oneiros; May 4th, 2017, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Show was ass would instead watch FAIRY TAIL

Comment

Simon was "better" in the sense that he had more character development (even though the end result of his metamorphosis was becoming Kamina 2.0, lol),
                            Simon was just as reckless and stupid as, if not more so than, Kamina by the end of the series.
                            Simon was only like Kamina at the first few episodes of the time-skip arc.
                            and by Kamina, I mean Kamina at his worst
                            He gets knocked on his ass by Rossiu and realises that not everything can be solved with a mecha. After the final battle he fucks off and lets Rossiu and the kids handle the rest.
                            Last edited by DurdenH; May 4th, 2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Gurren Lagann, at its very core, is an amalgamation of stolen ideas from various mecha anime series (super robot and real robot), and those of other genres but to a lesser extent. And it's a damn good one, I have to say. Bringing Drills from #2 to #1 in the Super Robot weapon list was genius.

Anime which Gurren Lagann took ideas from/referenced (font size denotes influence):

Getter Robo (biggest influence, Spiral Energy is basically a less powerful version of Getter Rays, color included, along with so many other things taken from the series)
                              Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger (of course, it's the original super robot)
                              Zambot 3 (Helmet design)
                              Daitarn 3 (Facial expressions)
                              Ideon
                              Gundam X (they literally copied their episode naming system along with Garrod hijacking a mobile suit)
                              G Gundam
                              Gunbuster/Diebuster
                              Evangelion

Steel Jeeg
                              Linebarrel

King of Braves GaoGaiGar
                              Gaiking
                              Macross
                              Mobile Suit Gundam
                              Full Metal Panic

And many more.

It also took stuff from things like Space Pirate Captain Harlock and the like. And a few references to things like Star Wars and Transformers.

Basically, it's a Japanese counterpart to Megas XLR which came 3 years before and is eerily similar to Gurren Lagann.

Comment

The final "battles" (if you can even still call them that) were ridiculous even by DB's extremely dubious standards and the "justification" for fighting, then miraculously winning, them was essentially "muh friendship and will," so... Simon was just as reckless and stupid as, if not more so than, Kamina by the end of the series. Natsu on crack, if you will. And I hear the movie, which I haven't personally seen, was even worse in this regard. lol

-EDIT- Come to think of it, Kamina's assholishness was a plus. So...
                                The point of them fighting the whole time was that there was nothing to do but confidently go forward- by the time they knew about the Anti-Spiral there was already no hope of the human race surviving. That was the theme of the show- to do the impossible and row, row, fight the power and all that. It's not being reckless when that's your only option tbh. And really, Kamina would've been hyped as hell to fight the anti-spiral, you know it as much as me.

Kamina being a dick was good for the audience, not the show. If that makes sense.

Comment

I'm on the camp that says that TTGL is a good, but overrated, series.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                                    Gurren Lagann, at its very core, is an amalgamation of stolen ideas from various mecha anime series (super robot and real robot), and those of other genres but to a lesser extent. And it's a damn good one, I have to say. Bringing Drills from #2 to #1 in the Super Robot weapon list was genius.

Anime which Gurren Lagann took ideas from/referenced (font size denotes influence):

Getter Robo (biggest influence, Spiral Energy is basically a less powerful version of Getter Rays, color included, along with so many other things taken from the series)
                                    Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger (of course, it's the original super robot)
                                    Zambot 3 (Helmet design)
                                    Daitarn 3 (Facial expressions)
                                    Ideon
                                    Gundam X (they literally copied their episode naming system along with Garrod hijacking a mobile suit)
                                    G Gundam
                                    Gunbuster/Diebuster
                                    Evangelion

Steel Jeeg
                                    Linebarrel

King of Braves GaoGaiGar
                                    Gaiking
                                    Macross
                                    Mobile Suit Gundam
                                    Full Metal Panic

And many more.

It also took stuff from things like Space Pirate Captain Harlock and the like. And a few references to things like Star Wars and Transformers.

Basically, it's a Japanese counterpart to Megas XLR which came 3 years before and is eerily similar to Gurren Lagann.
                                    hey I've read that dramatica article too
                                    Last edited by Aure0lin; May 4th, 2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saffron View Post
                                      hey I've read that dramatica article too
                                      Yeeee

Just look at this greatness, carefully slid under our noses:

Comment

Working...
                                      X