Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neuromorphic Computers; Terminators...here we come

1. An overview of the concept of Neuromorphic Computing:

2. A look at the specific chips employing the concept (the TrueNorth chips mentioned in the earlier one).

Basically, Neuromorphic Computing tries to mirror neurons and synapses. Neural networks typically run on normal chip architectures and try to mirror the human brain, but this runs into conflict with Von Neumann architecture; the hardware design. TrueNorth architecture builds the chip around the software design for a 1-1 correspondence of software with the hardware.

There are a lot of things to consider here for where this technology might go.

In 2014, the most recent TrueNorth chip was released. It used a 28nm transistor process and had 5.4 billion transistors. (By contrast, we've reached 5nm now; given this process for a chip of the same area, this is not just a 5x increase in the number of transistors you can stuff into a chip, it's more like a 25x increase...shouldn't be too difficult for a chip of this design either).

The first big improvement for computing, in general, is 3D stacking...basically just stacking interconnected layers. This is already implemented with memory storage architectures. This can't work with normal CPUs easily because of cooling issues. It'll be a while till we get those 10 layer general-purpose CPUs that don't burn down your whole motherboard on even a mild clock speed...

...Stuff like Truenorth doesn't have the same cooling issues...

Another chip to consider on the road to the terminators:

...^This thicc boi does not implement 3D stacking and does not integrate TrueNorth architecture (the neurons and synapses design). If it's not just a fad or cripplingly overexaggerated (I'm sure there's some), this kind of chip design could also have serious potential.

...I expect this kind of stuff to truly explode at some point...especially if all the stuff I mentioned truly coalesces together at some point...

I figured that since we all have an existential fear over possible terminators we should all listen in on this stuff.
    Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; March 5th, 2020, 05:22 AM.

IBM has been trying to do this partnering with DARPA for over a decade now.

IN 2008, I proved to a PhD physicist and a PhD computer scientist that it could be done and that I could describe the basics of a computer architecture for an ideal "Hybrid A.I." however I didn't even consider Quantum Computers because at the time we didn't have good quantum computers. With Quantum Computers, both cryogenic and room temperature, you could make an even more powerful machine A.I.

I eventually concluded that building the machine would be immoral, because only God could be responsible for creating a new sentient life form with human-like or even above human intelligence, as "the three laws of robotics" are uninforceable for the same reason "the ten commandments" are uninforceable..

I know how to beat a machine A.I. in warfare, but I would not want such a war to happen, obviously.

anyway, 12 years ago, I described nano-scale architecture for loading a neural net to a classical computer and vice-versa, so that you could have an ideal hybrid A.I. like Commander Data in Star Trek.. Like I said, I didn't consider quantum computers, because we had no knowledge of room temperature quantum computing at the time that debate happened. It looks like room temperature quantum computers can be about half as complex as cryogenic quantum computers, and they are expected to obey Moore's Law and double every 2 years in complexity. This means it will take 20 years before room temperature quantum computers have 32 kilobits of RAM, and 40 years before they have 32 Megabits of RAM, so 32 kilobits is about 4 kilobytes, which is enough to do basic multi-purpose/general purpose computer programming, and for cryogenic computers that is big enough to do pretty much ANY specialized calculation imaginable. IN the future we will also have Borg-like nano-probes to fight viruses and bacteria in the body and fight cancer and heal genetic damage and neurons damage etc, and extend life by several decads and even reverse aging at the cellular level..

I expect all of this technology to be maximized or nearly maximized by the time humans attempt to fly to another star, which should happen in the next 100 years or so for maximizing all of this technology. Flying ot another star may take a few centuries, because I estimate we need a chief engineer with an I.Q. of about 300 to design a real warp engine, and the Flynn effect is only 1 I.Q. point per decade, so it might take 1000 years before the smartest human in each generation evolves an I.Q. of 300 by today's definition of I.Q..
    5nm is getting close to the real limit, but the real limit might be single-atom transistors, assuming you can isolate a single atom and keep it from vibrating too fast to use. The smallest transistor gate I've ever seen used was 7 silicon atoms that were pushed into place using an Atomic Force Probe microscope, which is about a further 25x smaller than a 5x5nm transistor. The problem as I see it is that it becomes impossible to keep miniaturizing the wires that small, as the smallest possible strip of graphene is about 2nm wide and the smallest carbon nanotube is also about 2nm wide, so assuming we use Graphene or Carbon Nanotubes in the future, that would be 100 terrahertz bit rate, but the chipset would be 2nm minimum size, which might be the real theoretical limit on miniaturization, but if that is the case, it would still be abotu 1000 times the processor core speed of silicon processors, which would be very useful for computer models of the Universe or modeling the weather forecast, because you could do 1000 times more precise modeling of a hurricane ,and therefore nail landfall location TO THE MILE five days ahead of time, and maybe nail intensity within +/-5mph eventually, whereas currently they have about a 50mph margin of error on intensity and a 25mile error in the 3 day track forecast.

So I think carbon processors will eventually replace silicon for classical computers, simply because Carbon's operating frequency is 1000 times faster, but the limit is about 2nm process and that's pretty much the end of 2 dimensional chipset construction....however, Carbon graphene or nanotubes can be both digital computers and analog computers in the exact same chipset, so they have additional advantages besides just operating speed. Obviously an AI constructed with Carbon must be better than Silicon....and we already know how to do photonic processors and Spintronic processors, with Carbon, not just electronic processors.

so a carbon processor would have an operating speed of about 10 Terrahertz, with an individual bit rate of 100 terrahertz, which is about 2000 times faster than a top-of-the-line desktop PC that uses Silicon. WE just don't know how to mass produce carbon transistors yet, but we will. Eventually we'll have nanotechnology capable of doing it, in a few decades at worst.

In the meantime it would take 4.5 more doublings of Moore's Law to get down to 1nm process wth Silicon, which should happen in 22 more years, since Moore's Law as slowed down to doubling every 5 years for classical computers instead of doubling every 18 to 24 months, so we're looking at 22 years to max out classical silicon computers, and by then we'll have 4 kilobyte general purpose quantum computers at room temperature and 8 kilobyte special purpose quantum computers for cryogenic temperatures......and you'll be able to query the quantum computer cores using your classical computer for algorithyms that the quantum computer is faster at doing anyway.
    Also, Carbon is a thermal conductor while Silicon is a thermal insulator, and carbon has the highest melting temperature of any known substance, so if you cryogenically cool a carbon processor, with like liquid helium cooling, you could keep the processor running at max power indefinitely without any risk of burning it up, which would be perfect for super computer simulating a hurricane or a galaxy merger or whatever, and again you'd be able to nail a hurricane landfall to the mile and intensity to 5mph even 3 days out or maybe even 5 days out, which would be awesome and save countless lives and property. As global warming gets worse in the future, it will become necessary to be able to predict hurricanes and tornadoes better and better to prevent the worst loss of life. so once they figure otu how to mass produce carbon transistors, the computer industry will explode again....and the A.I. on future video games will be basically unbeatable too.
    So a 10 terrahertz Carbon processor is about 2000 times faster than today's silicon processors, and then if it was a 2x2nm process instead of a 5x5nm process, that's a further 8 times the RAM, so you would have 8 times the memory and 2000 times the processor speed. This implies the computer could be thousands of times more detailed in modeling the hurricane.

So you could make the north/south and east/west resolution of the model 10 times greater, and make the vertical resolution of the model 2 times greater, and make the temporal resolution of the model 10 times greater, and so if the model has a 25 mile margin of error in 3 days now, then the new model would have a 2.5 mile margin of error in 3 days, and would have a 5mph margin of error in intensity in 3 days, but it would need to be a global model to get this kind of precision, as a regular hurricane model cannot do this,because you need to model the entire Earth's atmosphere and oceans to get this perfection.

Nevertheless, it should be doable in about 20 to 25 years or so, based on Moore's law. They will need some new nano-technology to mass produce carbon transistors like this, but it should be doable in my lifetime....and since hurricanes will be so much more common and so much more powerful by then, humans will need the added predicting power of these new super-powerful computers.

Humidity is usually only reported in 10% increments in meteorology because they still don't have the technology to record humidity any more precise than 3% increments, but they can record atmospheric temperature and ocean temperature to about 3 hundredths of a degree fahrenheit and can record pressure to less than one tenth of a milibar and wind speed to less than one tenth of a mph, so in the future the computer models may have an extra decimal place or two on each measurement too. Right now they don't use tenth of a milibar nor tenth fo a degree nor tenth of a mph wind speed in the computer model, but in the future the models may become powerful enough and precise enough to use this data.

Last edited by OrganizationXV; March 5th, 2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Oh fuck you Wade.

Cid OrganizationXV

Can you get rid of this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
        Oh fuck you Wade.

Cid OrganizationXV

Can you get rid of this guy.
        Go to PhysForumdot com and ask the administrator "Rpenner" whether I'm telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
          *Nutjob noises.*
          This is MY thread.

Keep your shit restricted to your own threads, lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

Go to PhysForumdot com and ask the administrator "Rpenner" whether I'm telling the truth.
            Wade, I swear to God, stop spamming the site. You were given leeway on your own threads, but stop cluttering up other peoples'.
            Originally posted by Wade
            Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Wade, I swear to God, stop spamming the site. You were given leeway on your own threads, but stop cluttering up other peoples'.
              Just ban him, he doesn’t care.

He’s already going on about T H E G A Y S again in other threads too, lol.

Comment

Just ban him, he doesn’t care.

He’s already going on about T H E G A Y S again in other threads too, lol.
                I'm allowed to be offended now because I'm gay but that would be stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Chara View Post

I'm allowed to be offended now because I'm gay but that would be stupid

Anyways, terminators when.

I need to know when to stock up the bunker...

Comment

I think 2030 was the estimation Steve Jobs gave us...?

I don't remember the exact details, that was an old guess.
                    Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

I think 2030 was the estimation Steve Jobs gave us...?

I don't remember the exact details, that was an old guess.
                      *Looks at the current and near-future technologies...I.e, the OP no one read because of Wade, lmao.*

He ain’t wrong.

Comment

Why not start now?

Comment

Why not start now?
                          I do not currently have the resources, I am afraid.

Comment

*Looks at the current and near-future technologies...I.e, the OP no one read because of Wade, lmao.*

He ain’t wrong.
                            He made that prediction at the same time that he predicted smart phones accurately, iirc. And I'd like to say he made that guess in the 90s? I'll look it up later and share it.

Comment

I do not currently have the resources, I am afraid.
                              Or even a bunker, I assume?

Comment

Or even a bunker, I assume?
                                Does a crowded dorm room with a perpetual gamer as a room mate count?

Comment

Does a crowded dorm room with a perpetual gamer as a room mate count?
                                  Me minus the crowding. And no, sorry

Comment

Me minus the crowding. And no, sorry
                                    Well shit.

If I can’t be protecced from them, I’ll have to hack em.

...All I have is my novice command line skills...

Comment

Well shit.

If I can’t be protecced from them, I’ll have to hack em.

...All I have is my novice command line skills...
                                      Why not just do what I'd do and upload your brain into one so you can be part of the new robotopia?

Comment

Why not just do what I'd do and upload your brain into one so you can be part of the new robotopia?
                                        I ain’t giving up a perfectly fine dick to the machines.

Comment

Working...
                                        X