Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most stagnant field of tech you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

Pardon me for asking, but with what authority do they make such a conclusion? For that matter, with what authority do you make such a conclusion, having admitted to not doing all of the research beforehand?

And remember, you admitted that “classical instruments aren’t changing and probably never will”. It’s not just those BTW, I don’t think electric variants are “classical” and yet there won’t be any significant changes or updates made to those anytime soon.
    On my authority. I mean do they really need an authority? My main point when I first posted the video was to illustrate that just with some random video I found that talked a little more in dept of the subject they agreed with my conclusion. Because it's so common sense. This definitely leads me to believe that with light research I can come up with more evidence to prove my point. I mean I understand Helly's and Cid's reason for disagreeing with me, that reason being I insult their intelligence so they want to get back at me. But I don't see why you'd go along with such a silly stance.
    Just with a quick google search I came up with this:
    "Sampler (musical instrument)

A sampler is an electronic or digital musical instrument which uses sound recordings (or "samples") of real instrument sounds (e.g., a piano, violin or trumpet), excerpts from recorded songs (e.g., a five-second bass guitar riff from a funk song) or found sounds (e.g., sirens and ocean waves). The samples are loaded or recorded by the user or by a manufacturer. These sounds are then played back by means of the sampler program itself, a MIDI keyboard, sequencer or another triggering device (e.g., electronic drums) to perform or compose music. Because these samples are usually stored in digital memory, the information can be quickly accessed. A single sample may often be pitch-shifted to different pitches to produce musical scales and chords."

Here's the link to the page, notice how the sampler has evolved from the 80's to now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample...al_instrument)

Probably not because you can do more significant things using a music program now. Like I said you now only need a computer and a DAW to make music and if you want a MIDI. But you can't say that music instruments aren't evolving because that is certainly not the case. Just like you can't say phones aren't evolving just because there are still old phones.

I really hope this convo doesn't stagnate, otherwise I'm probably going to stop replying.
    Originally posted by Helly;n542091
    Also, lol @ "I'm busy". You admit you have no life and go to many forums, and in the same post lie about having real things to do, which one is it you piece of trash. Lmao. Go work on your fictitious "dream" instead of wasting your time lying to us about how important you are.

Comment

• TechTastic
      TechTastic commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't see how a more limited and downgrading experience (programs) is "more significant" than the real ones which the talented can actually use to their full potential.
      Digital equivalents don't come close to maximizing said talents.
      Key words being "limited" and "downgrading", as that isn't what technological evolution is about.

It's also rather obvious why I'd agree with that "silly stance". It's because my interest in music goes beyond "the industry", as in actually using the instruments themselves and some things don't ever change, even with technology. Even a keyboard with a guitar sound setting will never be a replacement for the real deal, and that one is a true instrument too. Heck it doesn't even have as many keys as a grand piano most of the time.
      The digital versions are unquestionably inferior, and thus cannot be called "progress" where their proper counterparts are concerned.
      Last edited by TechTastic; October 2nd, 2019, 10:37 AM.

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

On my authority. I mean do they really need an authority? My main point when I first posted the video was to illustrate that just with some random video I found that talked a little more in dept of the subject they agreed with my conclusion. Because it's so common sense. This definitely leads me to believe that with light research I can come up with more evidence to prove my point. I mean I understand Helly's and Cid's reason for disagreeing with me, that reason being I insult their intelligence so they want to get back at me. But I don't see why you'd go along with such a silly stance.
    Just with a quick google search I came up with this:
    "Sampler (musical instrument)

A sampler is an electronic or digital musical instrument which uses sound recordings (or "samples") of real instrument sounds (e.g., a piano, violin or trumpet), excerpts from recorded songs (e.g., a five-second bass guitar riff from a funk song) or found sounds (e.g., sirens and ocean waves). The samples are loaded or recorded by the user or by a manufacturer. These sounds are then played back by means of the sampler program itself, a MIDI keyboard, sequencer or another triggering device (e.g., electronic drums) to perform or compose music. Because these samples are usually stored in digital memory, the information can be quickly accessed. A single sample may often be pitch-shifted to different pitches to produce musical scales and chords."

Here's the link to the page, notice how the sampler has evolved from the 80's to now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample...al_instrument)

Probably not because you can do more significant things using a music program now. Like I said you now only need a computer and a DAW to make music and if you want a MIDI. But you can't say that music instruments aren't evolving because that is certainly not the case. Just like you can't say phones aren't evolving just because there are still old phones.

I really hope this convo doesn't stagnate, otherwise I'm probably going to stop replying.
    Your evidence is a Wikipedia article written by some rube who used the phrase "real instruments" unironically to refer to the piano and violin that a sampler gets its sounds from, thereby undermining your own conclusions. So, you found someone as musically illiterate as you, that's great. Now tell us why a pen or pencil or a sheet of paper isn't a musical instrument when Mozart used them all the time to create elaborate works of art, because that's exactly what a drum machine is: A blank sheet of paper for you to arrange notes onto.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

Your evidence is a Wikipedia article written by some rube who used the phrase "real instruments" unironically to refer to the piano and violin that a sampler gets its sounds from, thereby undermining your own conclusions. So, you found someone as musically illiterate as you, that's great. Now tell us why a pen or pencil or a sheet of paper isn't a musical instrument when Mozart used them all the time to create elaborate works of art, because that's exactly what a drum machine is: A blank sheet of paper for you to arrange notes onto.
      That's the most research I'm going to do at the time, so yeah.

Because you can't plug a speaker to a sheet of paper and make music. You can however do it with a computer and a DAW. Your computer is creating music, it's an instrument. And no our car radio is not creating music it's just playing it. These are very simple things I really don't have to explain.
      Originally posted by Helly;n542091
      Also, lol @ "I'm busy". You admit you have no life and go to many forums, and in the same post lie about having real things to do, which one is it you piece of trash. Lmao. Go work on your fictitious "dream" instead of wasting your time lying to us about how important you are.

Comment

Let's try a simple thought experiment.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2WrN93vno

This is AALs self-titled album. Basically, just Tosin Abasi playing over a drum machine that one of his acquaintances programmed. You tell me, audience and dumbass called 83, if you think that using a drum machine qualifies as a performance, and that therefore Tosin's friend is an expert drum machine player who performed all of those crazy polyrhythmic notes in real-time. And if he hooked his drum sampler to a speaker and pressed 'play', would he be performing a 'drum machine' cover of this album? What if we gave the machine to someone else and they hit the play button? Would that person also be an expert drum machine 'player' who is as good as Tosin Abasi's friend?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gv5hxaRsQS4

These are 3 songs from Meshuggah's Catch Thirty-Three album. It, too, uses a drum machine programmed with layered and complex polyrhythms. Is the programmer an 'expert drum machine player'? Is he performing with his 'instrument' on this album? What about post-production? There's a ton of crazy effects going off here that they had to time and program, are they 'expert reverb players', or 'expert flanger players'?

https://medlius.bandcamp.com/track/space-cowgirl-pt-1

This is 'Space Cowgirl pt 1', a splendid track from the legend Medley. He has recieved many a generous payments for this gem. It makes use of not only drum machine, but also guitar machines, bass machine, cello, violin, double bass, etc etc, all of them intricately intertwined in various difficult polyrhythms. What a masterful musician, to be able to perform with so many instruments all at once! Right???

Comment

And no our car radio is not creating music it's just playing it.
          This is also true of drum machines, they only play what's in their database.

Comment

Bottom line is, a standard musical instrument is something you actually play, not something you program ahead of time. It also fits into one of the categories of string, percussion, woodwind, brass, etc. A live instrument performance requires real performers to be playing stuff they know how to play in real time. And as for those, they haven't really gone anywhere and it seems there's no place left for them to go.

BTW, the checkmating in this thread has been plentiful, but can anyone come up with any more examples of stagnating technology that haven't yet been mentioned?

Comment

BTW, the checkmating in this thread has been plentiful, but can anyone come up with any more examples of stagnating technology that haven't yet been mentioned?
              I'm gonna say, like... The inclined plane. I mean, we made ramps. That's by definition the most we can do with it.
              Originally posted by Wade
              Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

I'm gonna say, like... The inclined plane. I mean, we made ramps. That's by definition the most we can do with it.
                True. Not exactly a field, more like a single piece, but that works.

Comment

Also, I never did address this but:

Cars, recently they're getting updated though and need computer diagnosis. If electrical cars get some important upgrades that will make them more appealing, I think they might get updates more often once they are popular.
                  This field isn't stagnant at all. Literally no indication.

Comment

OrganizationXV Just came to me, the pen is also a technology that sort of evolved over time but then it still inks out or depletes which is a major annoyance; It seems to affect all normal pens too. This is aside the fact that pens really haven't changed all that much in decades.
                    Last edited by TechTastic; October 2nd, 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

OrganizationXV Just came to me, the pen is also a technology that sort of evolved over time but then it still inks out or depletes which is a major annoyance; It seems to affect all normal pens too. This is aside the fact that pens really haven't changed all that much in decades.
                      I would like to posit that there has been a relatively recent (albeit minor) advancement, if we're looking at it broadly.

Most receipts that you get, say, from a gas station or a grocery store, will be printed by hitting a specific type of paper with a laser so it burns black. Not really a pen, but it's in the same general field, and it does address that concern. No ink means no depletion.
                      Originally posted by Wade
                      Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                        I would like to posit that there has been a relatively recent (albeit minor) advancement, if we're looking at it broadly.

Most receipts that you get, say, from a gas station or a grocery store, will be printed by hitting a specific type of paper with a laser so it burns black. Not really a pen, but it's in the same general field, and it does address that concern. No ink means no depletion.
                        I guess so but I don't think it will break out to any other sections.

Come to think of it, there's also tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, drills, etc that really don't change much.
                        As well as screws, nails, and other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X