Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ever picture of a black hole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    First ever picture of a black hole

    Here it is:

    Reminds me of the eye of Sauron, honestly, if it had a normal pupil.

    #2
    Fake next thing you will be telling me is the earth is round

    Comment


      #3
      damnit I wanted to be the one to make this thread lol

      really neat stuff, I remember first hearing about the EHT and being simultaneously riveted and terrified as if by a singularity. I gotta say though....neat as this is, it's actually abated my melanoheliophobia rather than strengthen it. i guess that could always change with a clearer image though. if we're ever able to get it so that we can see it distorting the light of objects around or behind it, like this:



      then I might actually have an existential breakdown lol

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
        Here it is:

        Reminds me of the eye of Sauron, honestly, if it had a normal pupil.
        That's a picture of my soul.

        Comment


          #5
          I've seen black holes before and they don't look like that.

          Comment


            #6
            You probably could also smell those holes.

            The image seems to have been Photoshoped.

            "The measurements are taken at a wavelength the human eye cannot see, so the astronomers added color to the image. They chose "exquisite gold because this light is so hot,""

            So not quite how a black hole would look like.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
              You probably could also smell those holes.
              The image seems to have been Photoshoped.

              "The measurements are taken at a wavelength the human eye cannot see, so the astronomers added color to the image. They chose "exquisite gold because this light is so hot,""

              So not quite how a black hole would look like.
              For accuracy's sake, and to expand your comment, it's a "false color" image, not really "photoshopped" in the sense that people typically use it. The scientists on the program didn't just import the image into a photo editing program and paint it gold to make it look pretty.

              This image isn't even a "picture" in the sense that people like to think... It's a visual representation of data. The EHT network basically stared at M87, but it didn't take pictures. It collected raw information. Most likely the wavelengths and intensities of the light being emitted as well as what type of gaseous materials it was looking at and the connected supercomputers would use that data to make calculations to determine the temperature, distance from Earth, and stuff like that. Scientists then converted that data into an image. They do that by assigning colors to gasses and the different wavelengths of light they find. And they usually don't do it randomly, either. They typically translate it into color by referring to the wavelength of the light that comes from the energy emitted by the molecules that make up the gasses they're looking at in these objects. (nitrogen generally emits blue light, oxygen emits green-yellow to red light. for example) For wavelengths of light human eyes can't see, we do have some idea what they would look like if we could see them. So they merely paint those in representative colors, or the closest they can get.

              But you are absolutely correct, this isn't quite what a black hole would look like if we were starring at it with out own eyes... But it's probably very close to being accurate... Which brings me to the next thing...

              Originally posted by Helly View Post
              damnit I wanted to be the one to make this thread lol

              really neat stuff, I remember first hearing about the EHT and being simultaneously riveted and terrified as if by a singularity. I gotta say though....neat as this is, it's actually abated my melanoheliophobia rather than strengthen it. i guess that could always change with a clearer image though. if we're ever able to get it so that we can see it distorting the light of objects around or behind it, like this:



              then I might actually have an existential breakdown lol
              Black holes would never really look like this. If the black hole wasn't feeding it would have some elements of this photo, though.



              This would be a more accurate representation. You wouldn't see stars in the center of the black hole because that's where light can't escape, obviously. But there also wouldn't be any defined boundary where you could make out the event horizon. On the edges of the event horizon, you would see distortion of the stars behind it... But I doubt it would be even as exaggerated as the image I posted. We have examples of what to expect because we see similar phenomenon with massive stars and entire galaxies. It's called gravitational lensing.
              Last edited by Cid; April 10th, 2019, 06:35 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Cid View Post
                Black holes would never really look like this. If the black hole wasn't feeding it would have some elements of this photo, though.



                This would be a more accurate representation. You wouldn't see stars in the center of the black hole because that's where light can't escape, obviously. But there also wouldn't be any defined boundary where you could make out the event horizon. On the edges of the event horizon, you would see distortion of the stars behind it... But I doubt it would be even as exaggerated as the image I posted. We have examples of what to expect because we see similar phenomenon with massive stars and entire galaxies. It's called gravitational lensing.
                interesting....although there is a central crushing singularity depicted in this rendition, it's not quite as intimidating. i might even like to keep one as a pet, if it werent so deadly :p

                you know what I think it is? it's this impression that in more dramatic depictions, entering the event horizon might mean entering a void deeper than space itself. it is death, beyond death. it is a tear in the very fabric of existence, the breaking down of the very laws that govern what we think of as reality. for such a violent and abrupt cut-off to be shown so dramatically, it really has an impact on the soul.

                seeing a black hole as a gradual fade into darkness, like an ordinary natural death, is much more reassuring that perhaps things are not so unknowable after all. it is still to be respected, but it is also much easier to see it as one of the critical components to galaxy creation and by extension the creation of life, rather than simply as a violent black oblivion that exists only to deliver an eternal doom to even the stars that come too close.

                to put it in simpler terms: it is now easier to see these celestial objects as both an agent of life and death, rather than just eternal death

                Comment


                  #9
                  yes, yes...

                  this is quite a beautiful idea. I'd say my melanoheliophobia has been about cured now, thanks to this radio telescope image and to Cid. I think i shall.....write something. a character, a song, a story? i dont kno yet, but this has piqued my interest and wonder once again, except not as an object of fear :]

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Interesting.

                    Such a valuable contribution I made to this topic, no?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by P408370R View Post
                      Interesting.

                      Such a valuable contribution I made to this topic, no?

                      58

                      Black Hole

                      The act when 5 to 7 obese black women have sex with 1 average to scrawny sized white man. As the 5-7 women are having an oragy with this man, he is "sucked into" the black hole.


                      Steve was sucked into La quisha, shanell, precious, laylela, and lula's black hole. Needless to say, he was never seen again.
                      #obese#white#black#dangerous
                      #hole

                      by wanderbread432 February 08, 2011
                      16

                      Comment


                      • P408370R
                        P408370R commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wherein lies the difficulty?



                        :}

                      • Helly
                        Helly commented
                        Editing a comment
                        P408370R u cant kill me if i kill me first >:)

                      • P408370R
                        P408370R commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'd just ask my dearest fren Mitch for tips on black magic to resurrect you, silly. :}

                        I couldn't bear losing you as I must liquidate you myself~

                      #12
                      Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
                      You probably could also smell those holes.

                      The image seems to have been Photoshoped.

                      "The measurements are taken at a wavelength the human eye cannot see, so the astronomers added color to the image. They chose "exquisite gold because this light is so hot,""

                      So not quite how a black hole would look like.
                      This was probably taken with an X-ray telescope, so the bright orange is the accretion disk heating up to 6 million kelvins and generating X-rays.

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by Helly View Post


                        58

                        Black Hole

                        The act when 5 to 7 obese black women have sex with 1 average to scrawny sized white man. As the 5-7 women are having an oragy with this man, he is "sucked into" the black hole.


                        Steve was sucked into La quisha, shanell, precious, laylela, and lula's black hole. Needless to say, he was never seen again.
                        #obese#white#black#dangerous
                        #hole

                        by wanderbread432 February 08, 2011
                        16
                        Sign me up

                        Comment


                          #14
                          So THIS is what God's spaghetti maker looks like.

                          Comment


                            #15
                            Originally posted by Helly View Post
                            i might even like to keep one as a pet,

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X