Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copyrights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Copyrights

    This is a very important topic to me personally. My view on Copyrights is that they are one of the most terrible things to ever happen to humanity. Of course it was most likely placed on us by people in power. Why? So they could profit and stay on power. While copyright laws are a recent thing (tmk) they have existed thousands of years prior. The Chinese for example coveted their technology in making silk. It was a very important commodity in the past so they took many drastic steps to protect it.


    However, while it keeps a region ahead of the curve, I believe it is detrimental to progress. Ideas and what comes from those ideas should be open and free. What does this mean? Well, for our modern times, it means that a song should be free to download, a movie free to watch or keep, a book too. If someone wants to know how to make a phone they should be allowed to see how the technology is made. Now I know that the person that created the object has to be rewarded. So in terms of movies, a copyright law should be in effect for the first 10 years, for a song the first 5 years and for a book one year. After that time the object should be free to the public, but donations to the person should continue to be paid by people interested (basically a Patreon). And other similar dates to other technology. Depending on how much effort was put into making it that would dictate the duration but nothing more then 20 years.

    If a company decides to use the technology or anyone else and if such a venture is successful then a percentage of what they make should go to the original inventor. This is not even put in practice right now. Most of the time inventions are taken by big companies and the inventor isn't rewarded.

    This will create new innovation and creation.

    What are your guys thoughts on this matter?

    #2
    >5 years for songs
    *laughs in Bohemian Rhapsody*

    Comment


      #3
      not strict enough


      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Louay View Post
        >5 years for songs
        *laughs in Bohemian Rhapsody*
        Fine, one hour.

        Comment


          #5

          In the late 1970s, Pong was invented. By 1982, there were dozens of Pong ripoffs, and that was one of the reasons that the Video game Crash of 1983 happened. Shitty copyright laws were a contributing factor to an industry ceasing to exist. Allowing copycats in media doesn't allow for innovation, it just waters down a product, confuses potential fans, and turns away sales. If you give a 1 year limit to books, then say goodbye to what's left of the book industry.

          There's a different issue with technology, particularly with medicine, where I think copyright laws outta be loosened. But that's because people literally die because they can't get affordable medicine, and the only reason why is because the price is jacked up... Because people need the meds so bad that they could die.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
            In the late 1970s, Pong was invented. By 1982, there were dozens of Pong ripoffs, and that was one of the reasons that the Video game Crash of 1983 happened. Shitty copyright laws were a contributing factor to an industry ceasing to exist. Allowing copycats in media doesn't allow for innovation, it just waters down a product, confuses potential fans, and turns away sales. If you give a 1 year limit to books, then say goodbye to what's left of the book industry.

            There's a different issue with technology, particularly with medicine, where I think copyright laws outta be loosened. But that's because people literally die because they can't get affordable medicine, and the only reason why is because the price is jacked up... Because people need the meds so bad that they could die.
            Yeah, that's completely untrue. You can actually do minimal research on this and see what caused the video game crash. Reasons being that the producers of the games overestimated the demand despite estimations being lower. So they got greedy and pushed production beyond estimated numbers. So there was a saturation of games, but no buyers. Corporate greed 101. Other factors include computers with the ability to play games. In a way this opened a new much better way to play games and the beginning of console pleb was born. Not to mention that Pong games were not created from thin air, they also used already existing concepts to improve and create something better and new. Innovation.

            But it didn't cease to exist, at least not video games. If Pong died it was because there were better things. That's part of progress.

            Yes it does. How did it confuse the fans? A basic economic principle is the consumer being informed, if the producer does not properly inform you then it's their loose.

            I bet it wouldn't make a difference.
            Last edited by #83.6666666667; April 11th, 2019, 06:22 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

              Yeah, that's completely untrue. You can actually do minimal research on this and see what caused the video game crash. Reasons being that the producers of the games overestimated the demand despite estimations being lower. So they got greedy and pushed production beyond estimated numbers. So there was a saturation of games, but no buyers. Corporate greed 101. Other factors include computers with the ability to play games. In a way this opened a new much better way to play games and the beginning of console pleb was born. Not to mention that Pong games were not created from thin air, they also used already existing concepts to improve and create something better and new. Innovation.

              But it didn't cease to exist, at least not video games. If Pong died it was because there were better things. That's part of progress.

              Yes it does. How did it confuse the fans? A basic economic principle is the consumer being informed, if the producer does not properly inform you then it's their loose.

              I bet it wouldn't make a difference.
              Dude, I spent weeks studying this for two spearate 10 page papers that I've done. Don't step up to me on this, lol.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

                Dude, I spent weeks studying this for two spearate 10 page papers that I've done. Don't step up to me on this, lol.
                Is that a challenge? Post your papers and once I read them and grade them we'll start this debate. I wouldn't have made this thread if I wasn't serious about having a serious conversation about this topic.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Would this happen to include patents on inventions and innovations as well?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X