Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else likes (or has used) Binoculars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P408370R View Post
    In all fairness, you are questioning who likes or has used binoculars. One of them does not necessarily subsume the other.
    Good point there, though he did effectively say not me for both of them.

Comment

i took the title as an open question for either response (liking vs not liking)

Comment

Originally posted by The Poster Formerly Known as Teal View Post
        i took the title as an open question for either response (liking vs not liking)
        It's already a given that if you don't like it (or haven't used it), you're not going to have anything to contribute to the thread at all. And I have no time or use for that, frankly.
        Because I'm asking for who does, not who doesn't. Who has, not who hasn't.
        Last edited by TechTastic; April 8th, 2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

It's already a given that if you don't like it (or haven't used it), you're not going to have anything to contribute to the thread at all. And I have no time or use for that, frankly.
          Because I'm asking for who does, not who doesn't. Who has, not who hasn't.
          I'm sure your precious binoculars have some cons

Comment

I'm sure your precious binoculars have some cons
            M8 everything has cons, that's reality 101, and like I said, I haven't used binoculars in a very long time. Certainly not the best of them either.

Comment

While I have not had much cause to use binoculars for recreation for many years, I have utilized them a fair amount recently in order to observe the behavioral patterns of various organisms -- primarily birds -- as an integral part of certain studies. It is a unique and awesome -- by both the literary definition and the slang denotation -- experience.
              Thanks for the detailed experience BTW, were magnifying glasses by any chance part of this study as well?

Comment

M8 everything has cons, that's reality 101, and like I said, I haven't used binoculars in a very long time. Certainly not the best of them either.
                what would you say the cons of binoculars are

Comment

what would you say the cons of binoculars are
                  Weight that may come with high specs, maintenance, susceptibility to damage, inability to get a full field of view depending on the conditions, etc

Some things are dependent on what you plan to use them for, others aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Nah, he'd track her while she walked down the street, always checked to see how many cars were at his place, and he'd murmur "fucking cunt" under his breath.

And he did it almost constantly
                    You have no idea how much I value this post. It reads straight out of a book, very well structured sentence with a tragic yet comedic tone.
                    Originally posted by Helly;n542091
                    Also, lol @ "I'm busy". You admit you have no life and go to many forums, and in the same post lie about having real things to do, which one is it you piece of trash. Lmao. Go work on your fictitious "dream" instead of wasting your time lying to us about how important you are.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed experience BTW, were magnifying glasses by any chance part of this study as well?
                      Of course! Simple magnification is critical for behavioral analysis of mesoorganisms; I have mostly observed snails and polychaetes as part of my recent experiment.

High-tech, I know.

As for specs and brand, I am sure that information is readily available, but I cannot recall off the top of my head. Equipment belonging to the university is certainly durable and therefore expensive, as a rule.

Comment

Of course! Simple magnification is critical for behavioral analysis of mesoorganisms; I have mostly observed snails and polychaetes as part of my recent experiment.

High-tech, I know.

As for specs and brand, I am sure that information is readily available, but I cannot recall off the top of my head. Equipment belonging to the university is certainly durable and therefore expensive, as a rule.
                        True, when it comes to stock university equipment the branding really doesn't matter as long as it does what it's meant to do, and it's normally eclipsed by the fact that it's stock equipment.
                        Also is it really true that magnifying glasses can focus sunlight into one point and possibly burn whatever's being focused? I see that a lot in fictional depictions but recall trying it in real life (when the sun's rays are strong) and not getting anything out of it.

Comment

I see. How much did it cost at the time you bought it, and what do you think is the best price range to get them at?
                          That's a relief to hear. Those have held up well too?
                          Apologies for the belated reply, life is busy.

You can buy the same ones I've got on Amazon for about $35. They're pretty cheap but don't lack for quality.

Comment

Also is it really true that magnifying glasses can focus sunlight into one point and possibly burn whatever's being focused?
                            This is absolutely true, as light is electromagnetic radiation.

Light contains energy, and each ray has a discrete amount. Imagine that were spread over the area of the magnifying glass. With the glass lens focusing the light to a point, that same amount of light (energy) is highly localized; this concentrated energy can heat the targeted object or area, sometimes to the point of combustion.

There are physical limitations, however: concentrating light beams makes them less parallel, such that they cannot be aimed. This is why, for example, paper can be burned but campfires cannot be lit.

I see that a lot in fictional depictions but recall trying it in real life (when the sun's rays are strong) and not getting anything out of it.
                            It might be a matter of how you attempted to do so; it does require a certain technique to focus sunrays properly!

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Apologies for the belated reply, life is busy.

You can buy the same ones I've got on Amazon for about $35. They're pretty cheap but don't lack for quality.
                              No problem at all, I understand.
                              Thanks for the guide.

Comment

My dad used them to spy on an ex, and that was real fuckin' weird

Nah, he'd track her while she walked down the street, always checked to see how many cars were at his place, and he'd murmur "fucking cunt" under his breath.

And he did it almost constantly
                                Sounds rather interesting, but how far could they zoom?

Comment

Sounds rather interesting, but how far could they zoom?
                                  far enough, unfortunately.
                                  Originally posted by Wade
                                  Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

far enough, unfortunately.
                                    What's the average distance, that would be a good reference point for just how far that person was willing to go.

Comment

I dunno, maybe a half mile or something?

I brought this up as sort of a joke but now it's still going.. I'd rather we dropped it.
                                      Originally posted by Wade
                                      Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

I dunno, maybe a half mile or something?

I brought this up as sort of a joke but now it's still going.. I'd rather we dropped it.
                                        No problem, I was only interested in the specs anyway.

Comment

I've never thought of owning a pair of binoculars before- I have no real use for them, so I can only imagine what use I could possibly have for them.

Hm...….

Glancing at a distant cat that I just happen to find when it possession of my pair of binoculars?

I suppose that must be the right answer, at the end of the day. (^u^)

Comment

Working...
                                          X