Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else likes (or has used) Binoculars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else likes (or has used) Binoculars?

I really can't believe I'd forgotten about them for so long. Back when I was younger I used them a lot to see things from windows and all that, however being that young has its issues when it comes to stuff like that. But recently I remembered them ironically because of new smartphone camera zoom capability (Huawei P30 pro), though I think binoculars are better.

Anyways, how many people here have used those, for what exactly, and what was it like

My dad used them to spy on an ex, and that was real fuckin' weird
    Originally posted by Wade
    We can't be supreme while also supporting inclusiveness

Comment

Loved using them as a kid. Never had any real use for them, though.

Used to have a telescope as a kid, too, though it was pretty cheap shit.

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
      I've never understood someone's need to stalk someone and that's probably a good thing.

Comment

Just recently thinking about how we can implement night vision abilities and zooming in-out (x many times) into contact lens. How useful would that be.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
          Yeah, buddy. Would watch as she change while pulling his rope, would he. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

Yeah, buddy. Would watch as she change while pulling his rope, would he. Lol.
            Nah, he'd track her while she walked down the street, always checked to see how many cars were at his place, and he'd murmur "fucking cunt" under his breath.

And he did it almost constantly
            Originally posted by Wade
            We can't be supreme while also supporting inclusiveness

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
              Loved using them as a kid. Never had any real use for them, though.

Used to have a telescope as a kid, too, though it was pretty cheap shit.
              Now that I think about it, the best place to use them would definitely not be in your immediate area. Has to be some place interesting that can't be zoomed in on so easily.

Comment

These are my Celestron G2 10x50s. I bought them about 4 years ago when I began stargazing. They're really good for looking at the moon, star clusters, and galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

These are my Celestron G2 10x50s. I bought them about 4 years ago when I began stargazing. They're really good for looking at the moon, star clusters, and galaxies.
                  Excellent. Is that how far they can go or is there even more?
                  Also, what's the best way to maintain these? I understand that buying them as an adult is extremely different from getting it as a gift or something while a kid or a teen.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

Excellent. Is that how far they can go or is there even more?
                    Also, what's the best way to maintain these? I understand that buying them as an adult is extremely different from getting it as a gift or something while a kid or a teen.
                    As far as I know, it's basically just common sense stuff. Don't shake them up too much (the vibrations can bring the lenses out of alignment and require collimation to get them back.) and don't scratch the lenses. And those are nowhere near as big as binocs go, especially for stargazing. Celestron's SkyMaster series goes up as high as 25x100, which provides 2.5 times the magnification that mine do. Only problem with those is that they get so large that holding them in your hands for any appreciable amount of time because a joke. So you have to have a tripod to mount them on.

Comment

As far as I know, it's basically just common sense stuff. Don't shake them up too much (the vibrations can bring the lenses out of alignment and require collimation to get them back.) and don't scratch the lenses. And those are nowhere near as big as binocs go, especially for stargazing. Celestron's SkyMaster series goes up as high as 25x100, which provides 2.5 times the magnification that mine do. Only problem with those is that they get so large that holding them in your hands for any appreciable amount of time because a joke. So you have to have a tripod to mount them on.
                      I understand about keeping the lenses free from scratches, but I never knew that shaking them might cause problems with the lens alignment.
                      Actually I meant the maximum zoom that your particular binoculars go. Also, would they normally happen to have some kind of special case or pouch to put them in?

Comment

I understand about keeping the lenses free from scratches, but I never knew that shaking them might cause problems with the lens alignment.
                        Actually I meant the maximum zoom that your particular binoculars go. Also, would they normally happen to have some kind of special case or pouch to put them in?
                        Oh, the zoom on mine is up to 10x magnification. Which, as I said, is good for moongazing, looking at galaxies, dust lanes of the milky way, star clusters, etc. They do come with a pouch as well as caps that go over the lenses.

Comment

Oh, the zoom on mine is up to 10x magnification. Which, as I said, is good for moongazing, looking at galaxies, dust lanes of the milky way, star clusters, etc. They do come with a pouch as well as caps that go over the lenses.
                          I see. How much did it cost at the time you bought it, and what do you think is the best price range to get them at?
                          That's a relief to hear. Those have held up well too?

Comment

not me i prefer to look at things naturally

Comment

• TechTastic
                              TechTastic commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If you don't use or haven't used binoculars.

Originally posted by The Poster Formerly Known as Teal View Post
                            not me i prefer to look at things naturally
                            If you haven't used binoculars then sorry to say, but there's no use posting in this thread.
                            Because, as far as the topic is concerned, it's as good as saying absolutely nothing.
                            Last edited by TechTastic; April 8th, 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

it's as good as saying absolutely nothing.

Comment

I used to use them back when I was a kid. My family was poor so the only real things we could frequently do as a family was hike or go camping so we'd bring some along. It was really nice being able to watch animals without startling them by getting near them.

Comment

Used to have an old pair when I was younger.Can't possibly think what I'd use them for today though.

Comment

Originally posted by J peth View Post
                                  I used to use them back when I was a kid. My family was poor so the only real things we could frequently do as a family was hike or go camping so we'd bring some along. It was really nice being able to watch animals without startling them by getting near them.
                                  Well as long as the experience was worth remembering, that's pretty much the #1 thing whether rich or poor.

Originally posted by Zemoco View Post
                                  Used to have an old pair when I was younger.Can't possibly think what I'd use them for today though.
                                  I guess I understand, in those days we all wanted to know and see more. Some of us tend to lose that as we grow up.

Comment

While I have not had much cause to use binoculars for recreation for many years, I have utilized them a fair amount recently in order to observe the behavioral patterns of various organisms -- primarily birds -- as an integral part of certain studies. It is a unique and awesome -- by both the literary definition and the slang denotation -- experience.

If you haven't used binoculars then sorry to say, but there's no use posting in this thread.
                                    In all fairness, you are questioning who likes or has used binoculars. One of them does not necessarily subsume the other.

Comment

Working...
                                    X