Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any cameras as good as the human eye?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Are there any cameras as good as the human eye?

    When it comes to reproduction of scenery, that is. Or maybe even better?

    If there aren't any around, would that be possible? Though mileage may vary because there may be some out there with different conditions or different ways of seeing things.

    #2
    According to this article, the resolution of the human eye is around 576 megapixels.

    As of now, the highest resolution that a DSLR camera can reach is with this 120 megapixel CMOS sensor developed by Canon.

    The only camera in the world that comes close is a Dark Energy Camera used by the Department of Astronomy and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois, which can capture images with resolutions up to 570 megapixels. The device weighs about 17 tons (~15.4 Mg) and costs about $35 million to build.

    So if we're willing to put in the time, money, and resources for it, then yes I believe it's possible, but for something of that quality to be mass produced and (relatively) affordable for the masses... seems highly unlikely anytime soon.
    Last edited by Thar; March 13th, 2019, 11:04 AM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Thar View Post
      According to this article, the resolution of the human eye is around 576 megapixels.

      As of now, the highest resolution that a DSLR camera can reach is with this 120 megapixel CMOS sensor developed by Canon.

      The only camera in the world that comes close is a Dark Energy Camera used by the Department of Astronomy and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois, which can capture images with resolutions up to 570 megapixels. The device weighs about 17 tons (~15.4 Mg) and costs about $35 million to build.

      So if we're willing to put in the time, money, and resources for it, then yes I believe it's possible, but for something of that quality to be mass produced and (relatively) affordable for the masses... seems highly unlikely anytime soon.
      Thanks a lot, now it makes a lot more sense to me about the levels that cameras have yet to reach, and why good vision is always higher all the time. And then there's the factor of glasses which aid vision a lot depending on the circumstances.

      Come to think of it though, just as there's animals that can hear way above what we can, there's probably also animals who can see more than we can.

      Comment


      • #83.6666666667
        #83.6666666667 commented
        Editing a comment
        Eagles for example.

      #4
      Thar Another thing though, for having the highest resolution, unless we're long-sighted we can't even zoom in as well as even some phone cameras out there.

      Comment


        #5
        Read a story a few months ago that said China made a camera with like a million megapixels. It took a picture on the top of a building and you could zoom in and see people's faces quite well.

        So maybe.

        Comment


          #6
          Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
          Read a story a few months ago that said China made a camera with like a million megapixels. It took a picture on the top of a building and you could zoom in and see people's faces quite well.

          So maybe.
          Wow, that's excellent, looks much higher than the 576mp that our eyes can see.

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

            Wow, that's excellent, looks much higher than the 576mp that our eyes can see.
            Nevermind. Apparently they "stitched" together multiple pictures into one.

            https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-faces-2018-12

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

              Nevermind. Apparently they "stitched" together multiple pictures into one.

              https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-faces-2018-12
              Hype killed.

              But I guess that makes more sense than actually having something with gigapixels presently.

              Comment


                #9
                But I guess this topic is settled anyway, I just wonder how many generations it will take before average stuff gets to such a level.

                The fact that the closest one in existence runs on "dark energy" isn't very inspiring.

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by TechTastic View Post
                  The fact that the closest one in existence runs on "dark energy" isn't very inspiring.
                  It doesn't "run" on it, it's just made to be able to capture it, as it requires a certain resolution in order to be observed.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    as well* as the human eye

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Originally posted by Thar View Post

                      It doesn't "run" on it, it's just made to be able to capture it, as it requires a certain resolution in order to be observed.
                      Oh, I see now.

                      Originally posted by The Poster Formerly Known as Teal View Post
                      as well* as the human eye
                      What's that supposed to mean exactly?

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by Thar View Post
                        According to this article, the resolution of the human eye is around 576 megapixels.

                        As of now, the highest resolution that a DSLR camera can reach is with this 120 megapixel CMOS sensor developed by Canon.

                        The only camera in the world that comes close is a Dark Energy Camera used by the Department of Astronomy and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois, which can capture images with resolutions up to 570 megapixels. The device weighs about 17 tons (~15.4 Mg) and costs about $35 million to build.

                        So if we're willing to put in the time, money, and resources for it, then yes I believe it's possible, but for something of that quality to be mass produced and (relatively) affordable for the masses... seems highly unlikely anytime soon.
                        Wow.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X