Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your personal favorite kind of existing technology anyway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your personal favorite kind of existing technology anyway?

Besides a PC, of course.

Not sure I really know the answer to that myself, but still.

I mean, uhhhh..

Technology as it relates to interacting with the human body itself in some way or form.

Look at this kind of stuff.

This kind of stuff as well. I mean, artificial parts outperforming our own fleshy limbs...? Imagine the possibilities. And these technologies are in their infancy...!

Now look at this:

Artificial muscle can lift 12,600 times its weight.

Imagine at one point where we can make bionic limbs out of such stuff...that would be...so fucking cool.

How about exoskeletons and how that can modify people:

This guy...

Has an implant that allows him to "hear colors."

^This technology can allow you to literally control people's bodies (this one's actually pretty scary when you start thinking about it too much).

Such kinds of technology are just so fascinating to me, and the possibilities are so intriguing to think about...
    Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; March 12th, 2019, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Always been a fan of 3D printing, or as I prefer to call it "additive manufacturing", cause the former is just a marketing term to appeal to the masses.

In contrast, traditional manufacturing tools, both old and new, are pretty fascinating, most notably the laser cutting machine at work. Since most of the stuff we design and build are made of sheet metal, we use that thing for pretty much everything. Before that we made what we could with a plasma cutter, but certain parts required higher precision, so we would have to get other people to do it. Now with the new laser cutter, we don't have to do that.

Also pretty fascinated with hydraulic power. Really fuckin heavy-duty stuff.

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

I mean, uhhhh..
      Hey you're not wrong, nanomachines are interesting.

I had an opportunity for a paid internship for nanotech research in Boston, but I was one professional reference short. Was quite a shame.

Comment

Air conditioning.

Its one of those things where you never really think about how shitty it was to not have it and how drastically it improves quality-of-life--until it breaks for like 3 hours, and then you immediately notice life is shit. Lowkey: its one of the greatest and most fundamental luxuries of modern living.

I could probably live comfortably without most modern amenities in another time. But fuck me if there's no air conditioning.
        Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; March 12th, 2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Smartphones

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
            Air conditioning.

Its one of those things where you never really think about how shitty it was to not have it and how drastically it improves quality-of-life--until it breaks for like 3 hours, and then you immediately notice life is shit. Lowkey: its one of the greatest and most fundamental luxuries of modern living.

I could probably live comfortably without most modern amenities in another time. But fuck me if there's no air conditioning.
            This, but space heaters for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
              Hey you're not wrong, nanomachines are interesting.
              They really are.

Can't remember much, but of my incursions into nanotechnology, the possibilities are truly amazing.

Mostly in terms of when I can get nanomachines that harden in response to physical trauma.

I had an opportunity for a paid internship for nanotech research in Boston, but I was one professional reference short. Was quite a shame.
              Bummer.

Got any other plans to get into nanotech, by any chance of happenstance...?

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                Air conditioning.

Agreed a lot, though I heard that there can be issues with the fan at the back of it and the content it creates.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
                  Smartphones
                  Quite a shame that those are a literal OS duopoly now.

Comment

Got any other plans to get into nanotech, by any chance of happenstance...?
                    Considering my experience has yet to branch off into something more specific, that's definitely something to consider.

Comment

headphones are a godsend. Jamming to my fav albums and songs on my way to school is nothing short of amazing

Comment

Basically, anything related to transhumanism.....nanotech, bionic limbs, gene editing, etc. Daunting stuff, but undeniably fasctinating. A future may soon be upon us where humanity will have become 4-digit IQ brains in metal encasings.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                          Basically, anything related to transhumanism...
                          Probably would have been the better thing for me to come out with, TBQH.

Thing is..."transhumanism" does not roll off the tongue well to me, in all honesty, lol.

But it is fascinating.

Comment

Probably would have been the better thing for me to come out with, TBQH.

Thing is..."transhumanism" does not roll off the tongue well to me, in all honesty, lol.

But it is fascinating.
                            nah, the vids were fascinating

it makes me a bit uncomfortable as well, truthfully, though I think this may simply be my own biologically-driven ego that doesn't enjoy the idea of having so many people potentially become my equal. I havent really explored the psychological process behind it fully, though, so there might be more to it.
                            Last edited by Helly; March 12th, 2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

it makes me a bit uncomfortable as well, truthfully,
                              To be frank, it's mostly because there's always assholes around.

You got cyborgs that are 10x stronger than humans?

Oh hey, a dictatorial asshole got ahold of it and went to town conquering places. Deal with that, humanity.

You got nanomachines that can basically fix any part of the body?

Oh hey, some terrorist asshole got ahold of it and are using it to...IDK, infect people with it and do all sorts of terrible shit. Deal with that, humanity.

You got technology that allows you to basically plug yourself into a network, modify networks or have the networks modify you, because you're basically linking computers with your brain?

Oh hey, some hacker asshole got ahold of it and is now infecting people with computer viruses. Deal with that, humanity.

You got technology that allows you to control peoples' bodies completely?

Oh hey, the government got a hold of it, used it to literally make people do whatever they want, manufactured a real terrorist crisis and a massive propaganda campaign behind the scenes that looks completely genuine to an average joe, and two weeks later, boom, totalitarian dictatorship because the people got sick of it too much and fell to emotional manipulation during the vote to enact the dictatorship, lol. Humans gotta deal with that too...

Oh, and for that last scenario, there's also this to worry about.

Technology can be amazing in terms of potential.

But scary as fuck too when you imagine the worse side of humanity ever deciding to become intrigued by it...

And you just know it will...
                              Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; March 12th, 2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

To be frank, it's mostly because there's always assholes around.

You got cyborgs that are 10x stronger than humans?

Oh hey, a dictatorial asshole got ahold of it and went to town conquering places. Deal with that, humanity.

You got nanomachines that can basically fix any part of the body?

Oh hey, some terrorist asshole got ahold of it and decided to try and assassinate people in the government for their own ends. Deal with that, humanity.

You got technology that allows you to basically plug yourself into a network, modify networks or have the networks modify you, because you're basically linking computers with your brain?

Oh hey, some hacker asshole got ahold of it and is now infecting people with computer viruses. Deal with that, humanity.

You got technology that allows you to control peoples' bodies completely?

Oh hey, the government got a hold of it, used it to literally make people do whatever they want, manufactured a real terrorist crisis and a massive propaganda campaign behind the scenes that looks totally genuine, and two weeks later, boom, totalitarian dictatorship because the people got sick of it too much and fell to emotional manipulation, lol. Humans gotta deal with that too...

Oh, and for that last scenario, there's also this to worry about.

Technology can be amazing in terms of potential.

But scary as fuck too when you imagine the worse side of humanity ever deciding to become intrigued by it...

And you just know it will...
                                eh

I mean, we had to go through all this many, many times in our history. The invention of guns, the development of bio-weapons, the motherfucken ATOM BOMB and all subsequent nukes. At this point, we all keep each other in check because of the lingering threat of mutually-assured destruction. These new techs might be daunting on the surface, but no one short of a complete madman would think of trying to turn it against acountry, not in a nuclear world.

for the record, I'm definitely NOT in favour of AI. bettering human intelligence =/= creating a separate intelligence

Comment

eh

I mean, we had to go through all this many, many times in our history. The invention of guns, the development of bio-weapons, the motherfucken ATOM BOMB and all subsequent nukes. At this point, we all keep each other in check because of the lingering threat of mutually-assured destruction. These new techs might be daunting on the surface, but no one short of a complete madman would think of trying to turn it against acountry, not in a nuclear world.
                                  Only a matter of time till someone builds a system that can destroy nuclear weapons mid-stroke and mass produces the shit out of it.

We already have systems that can get nuclear missiles mid-stroke (the US). Not in any significant quantity, it even has a fair chance of failing...

But it's there...

Of course, this isn't a complete solution.

The diversification of the nuclear arsenal (nearly every platform imaginable being able to deploy nukes...even certain pieces of battlefield artillery) means that they can still possibly be used in certain circumstances with impunity.

Submarines are also especially sneaky.

But in terms of ICBM threats, the main threat in terms of annihilating entire countries, yeah, I wouldn't bet on it, in its current form, being absolute king forever, knowing humanity's ingenuity, along with the existing technologies.

for the record, I'm definitely NOT in favour of AI. bettering human intelligence =/= creating a separate intelligence
                                  Agreed.

AI needs to be very...very strictly controlled...
                                  Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; March 12th, 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Only a matter of time till someone builds a system that can destroy nuclear weapons mid-stroke and mass produces the shit out of it.

We already have systems that can get nuclear missiles mid-stroke (the US). Not in any significant quantity, it even has a fair chance of failing...

But it's there...

Of course, this isn't a complete solution.

The diversification of the nuclear arsenal (nearly every platform imaginable being able to deploy nukes...even certain pieces of battlefield artillery) means that they can still possibly be used in certain circumstances with impunity.

Submarines are also especially sneaky.

But in terms of ICBM threats, the main threat in terms of annihilating entire countries, yeah, I wouldn't bet on it, in its current form, being absolute king forever, knowing humanity's ingenuity, along with the existing technologies.

Agreed.

AI needs to be very...very strictly controlled...
                                    we'll just have to do our best and ensure everyone keeps counter-balancing each other by developing technologies that are equally as powerful, then. it's worked like that for our entire history, there's no reason to think that it woouldn't continue to.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight Extinction View Post
                                      headphones are a godsend. Jamming to my fav albums and songs on my way to school is nothing short of amazing
                                      Especially if they also happen to cancel noise. Because then you're basically in a vacuum with whatever it is you're listening to provided it fills all the required frequencies.

Comment

My phone

Comment

Working...
                                        X