The Android-iOS duopoly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Android-iOS duopoly

Throughout the development from basic cellphones to the stuff we have now, and the many different functions that a phone has evolved to fill, it's pretty much gotten to the point that for all this advancement, there's basically only two choices, one of which is open source that's used by multiple different companies and the other being closed source that's used by only one company, with pretty much nothing else in between (BB and WP are dead at this point). Gone are the days when every different company had their own in-house mobile OS with their own apps and spins on how they made a phone, as simple as it was in comparison to the current era.

It may have made things more convenient for app developers and the like, but one is literally a fragmented system that has to cater to multiple different styles and hardware used in making the devices that run on it (which is not a good thing for optimization and consistency across time) along with their different takes on software, while the other is good at both and only really has one device form to worry about when it configures the OS. In reverse, the fragmented system has way more freedom and features regarding what to do with the device and the other is always restricting certain aspects regardless of the reason and at times hold back features until years later even though they'd been used on others for quite some time before it.

But if the market goes back to people making their own stuff entirely again it would likely be a headache for third party developers, so I don't really see this order changing anytime soon.

And there's pretty much no choice outside these two on the smartphone market these days, so with all that being said, which side of this duopoly are you on?

I'm on Android. But for phones only of course. The only other thing iOS is on is a tablet and it's pretty alone in that space.
    Last edited by TechTastic; March 4th, 2019, 09:01 PM.

I jumped on the android train pretty early on in it's lifespan. iOS was fine, I suppose. I had an iPod Touch back in the day before the iPhone was as huge as it is now. And it was fine... If not a bit limited in functionality. But Android drew me in because of the early days of the android marketplace where you could get basically anything you wanted. I remember back then, I had a crappy Droid Eris, sitting at work tapping away on that tiny phone to browse the net and play emulated NES and Gameboy Games. It was an amazing experience, honestly. I still run a couple emulators on my phone to play some older titles just to pass the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
      I jumped on the android train pretty early on in it's lifespan. iOS was fine, I suppose. I had an iPod Touch back in the day before the iPhone was as huge as it is now. And it was fine... If not a bit limited in functionality. But Android drew me in because of the early days of the android marketplace where you could get basically anything you wanted. I remember back then, I had a crappy Droid Eris, sitting at work tapping away on that tiny phone to browse the net and play emulated NES and Gameboy Games. It was an amazing experience, honestly. I still run a couple emulators on my phone to play some older titles just to pass the time.
      At one point I used to think iPhones were cool despite not having one (mostly based on my experiences with the iPod and its touch model) but then upon seeing high end Androids that others had (mostly because at times I had the low end one) and some of the stuff they could do it clicked with me. And also those that could support MicroSD cards unlike the iPhone, along with other things the iPhone couldn't do at the time (like Swype keyboards, don't know how many people use it but for me it's a must-have on any phone I buy). This was back in the days when HTC was in its prime as an Android OEM.
      Last edited by TechTastic; March 4th, 2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Personally I'm all for new platforms to enter the fray, as it would give consumers more opinions (which I'd argue is always good). There are plenty of things about both OSs I dislike so having at least one more major competitor could suit my needs. Honestly I wish Windows Phone was still available cause for the most part I like what the platform did.

Comment

Originally posted by Noodle-kun View Post
            Personally I'm all for new platforms to enter the fray, as it would give consumers more opinions (which I'd argue is always good). There are plenty of things about both OSs I dislike so having at least one more major competitor could suit my needs. Honestly I wish Windows Phone was still available cause for the most part I like what the platform did.
            I heard many good things about Windows Phone as well, and even Blackberry had its good points, but the market was rather cruel to them, as were competitors such as Google by not providing certain apps for those platforms.

You meant "more options" right? Agreed, options are always a good thing and the more the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

I heard many good things about Windows Phone as well, and even Blackberry had its good points, but the market was rather cruel to them, as were competitors such as Google by not providing certain apps for those platforms.

You meant "more options" right? Agreed, options are always a good thing and the more the merrier.
              yeah typo.

Android is open source so I wish a company outside of google would put out phones under say LineageOS with their own appstore. Android apps would still be compatible we'd just be able to completely cut google out of the equation.

Also of note I don't use any feature that wasn't available in a phone made in like 2011. As such perhaps having a more slimmed down OS (that works well on lower end hardware) would be nice for many people. Low end android phones are usually pretty bad but something thats a halfway between a feature phone and an android phone would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Noodle-kun View Post

yeah typo.

Android is open source so I wish a company outside of google would put out phones under say LineageOS with their own appstore. Android apps would still be compatible we'd just be able to completely cut google out of the equation.
                I second this considering how messed up Google can be at times.

Also of note I don't use any feature that wasn't available in a phone made in like 2011. As such perhaps having a more slimmed down OS (that works well on lower end hardware) would be nice for many people. Low end android phones are usually pretty bad but something thats a halfway between a feature phone and an android phone would be useful.
                With all the advancement that's gone on now it would certainly be possible to provide niche offerings to those who can't find something for themselves in the market, but the trend wave has consumed even that it seems.

Comment

Noodle-kun But again, that app developing thing would be quite the issue if it were to be more than 3 or 4 OSes on the market at present, and demand will ultimately be what influences whether or not newer corporations can join in at any time. It would have to be something that shakes up the worldwide phone market which has now become a commodity among those who can afford it in many places.

"Dumbphones" were not at all plagued by this issue for very obvious reasons but now the playing field has changed massively.

Comment

The only app I care about on my phone is Spotify, YouTube, Chrome, and most importantly the play book store and the app. If any phone has this then I don't care about anything else software wise. Android has done a decent job. Better than Apple for sure. Would be interesting to see new models though. My guess is that it will come from China. They seem to have the capital, interest, and freedom to challenge Android and apple.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
                      The only app I care about on my phone is Spotify, YouTube, Chrome, and most importantly the play book store and the app. If any phone has this then I don't care about anything else software wise. Android has done a decent job. Better than Apple for sure. Would be interesting to see new models though. My guess is that it will come from China. They seem to have the capital, interest, and freedom to challenge Android and apple.
                      We'll see what Google has to say about providing YT and Chrome to any competitor that isn't iOS.

Comment

Good god, why does my page refresh every time I go into a different tab?

We'll see what Google has to say about providing YT and Chrome to any competitor that isn't iOS.
                        They'll either bend or brake. Google has practically been begging China to allow them to enter their market.

China also is selling the most phones world wide, excluding the USA, if China comes up with a new model that is decent, google will do whatever they can to be part of the system.

Also have you heard about Huawei mate X vs Samsung galaxy fold?

Comment

• TechTastic
                          TechTastic commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Isn't that "Break" you meant to say though?

• #83.6666666667
                          #83.6666666667 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Both I suppose.

They'll either bend or brake. Google has practically been begging China to allow them to enter their market.

China also is selling the most phones world wide, excluding the USA, if China comes up with a new model that is decent, google will do whatever they can to be part of the system.

Also have you heard about Huawei mate X vs Samsung galaxy fold?
                        That's something I don't get because then how do all these Chinese phone companies use Android as a software both in China and in the rest of the world? Isn't Android supposed to be loaded with Google services to begin with?

Yes, I have, but I don't see folding phones as being anything but an expensive gimmick at this present time.

Comment

That's something I don't get because then how do all these Chinese phone companies use Android as a software both in China and in the rest of the world? Isn't Android supposed to be loaded with Google services to begin with?

Yes, I have, but I don't see folding phones as being anything but an expensive gimmick at this present time.
                          Not sure, but I think their domestic phones might be different than their foreign phones.

Looks like Google is willing to censor some words in able to get into China again.

Really? Okay.

Comment

Not sure, but I think their domestic phones might be different than their foreign phones.

Looks like Google is willing to censor some words in able to get into China again.

Really? Okay.
                            That's very possible come to think of it.

It probably relates to stuff inside of China or something.

Comment

Working...
                            X