HDD's or SSD's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

I see. But wouldn't this be a problem only if a device wasn't particularly dedicated to (and used for) gaming and nothing else? In that case they could easily get way more than a single TB of storage. Only SSD's would be way more expensive per unit of space even though they make for superior running speeds but HDD's these days are next to no issue as long as nothing impacts them too much.
    Personally, I feel like the point of a console is that you just buy it and now you can play games on it. So I just go with factory default, which was a terabyte hard drive for me. It used to be 500 gigs

If it's a PC, go balls to the wall. But PS4 should be set it and forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Personally, I feel like the point of a console is that you just buy it and now you can play games on it. So I just go with factory default, which was a terabyte hard drive for me. It used to be 500 gigs

If it's a PC, go balls to the wall. But PS4 should be set it and forget it.
      Agreed, between a PC and a console you have to keep checking one (though you can expand it if you connect another drive) and you don't have to check the other, you just leave it for as long as you want.

Comment

I would love to say money is no object but that's not the case, so I have a smaller SSD for my OS and programs I use frequently and a bigger HDD for everything else

Comment

Originally posted by Snap View Post
          I would love to say money is no object but that's not the case, so I have a smaller SSD for my OS and programs I use frequently and a bigger HDD for everything else
          So, a hybrid system?

Comment

They both have their own uses imo.
            I mainly use HDDs purely for storage (TV shows, Movies, Photos etc)
            And I mainly use SSD as instalation directories and OS...Games, larger programs etc.

SSDs are obviously superior, but you dont really need an SSD to store your movies and whatnot.

M.2 SSDs is where its really at tho. Saving up for one of those.
            Last edited by znjfl; March 4th, 2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

So, a hybrid system?
              Yeah, it works well enough

I'd like to hop to only SDDs one day, but I'm fine as is for now

Comment

Originally posted by Snap View Post

Yeah, it works well enough

I'd like to hop to only SDDs one day, but I'm fine as is for now
                I currently have an SSD laptop though it's only 500GB (but with 16GB of RAM) and alongside that have a 1TB HDD laptop (with only 8GB of RAM).

For now I'd like to replace that one with a 1TB (or even 2) hybrid and then years later get an SSD-only laptop for either 1 or 2TB.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
                  I think everyone would say SSD. I have a few and are great. I did run into some problems with them though. For example, I bought a Toshiba 7 terra and my computer wasn't picking it up. So I bought a 8 Terra from a different company and it works great.

Also I changed the settings on one of my 5 Terra to FAT so I could put a Hobbit movie and now I can't hook it up to my blueray player because it doesn't register it but it did before, smh.

First world problems.
                  I'm assuming this is the portable SSD variant?

Comment

Originally posted by znjfl View Post
                    They both have their own uses imo.
                    I mainly use HDDs purely for storage (TV shows, Movies, Photos etc)
                    And I mainly use SSD as instalation directories and OS...Games, larger programs etc.

SSDs are obviously superior, but you dont really need an SSD to store your movies and whatnot.

M.2 SSDs is where its really at tho. Saving up for one of those.
                    It's really the best way to use either one though it's only really effective on both counts at the same time if it's a hybrid. And for internally storing said media.

Storing externally though, I really can't trust a HDD as much as an SSD especially if one thing or the other happens to it.

Comment

I'm assuming this is the portable SSD variant?
                      Correct.

Comment

Correct.
                        It seems that players may have a bit of a problem recognizing SSD's for one reason or the other depending on how old they happen to be.

Comment

In terms of if they were both free? SSDs of course. Not even a debate.

Now in terms of price, your best bet is an SSD for general programs and some games, and an HDD for video files/Large Data. Though the prices for SSds are in free fall. You can find 1TB SSDs for around $100 or lower. The prices should also decrease further over the course of the year.

Comment

It seems that players may have a bit of a problem recognizing SSD's for one reason or the other depending on how old they happen to be.
                            The thing is that it did originally recognize it, but I later modified it and then it didn't.

Comment

The thing is that it did originally recognize it, but I later modified it and then it didn't.
                              So it didn't take any damage or anything?

Comment

So it didn't take any damage or anything?
                                No. I just changed the settings so it would allow more data to be transferred into the SSD device. So it would allow me to copy paste about 80 gigs of data if they were broken down into say 5 gigs. So I could transfer an entire season of a show okay (each episode was about 5-15 gigs). But I couldn't transfer 30 gigs in one go. So like a blueray movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X