HDD's or SSD's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDD's or SSD's?

These are the two storage mediums available to us these days on PC's and other such devices, and can also exist independently of those at the same time (like Flash drives but with more capacity of course). But which side do you stand on?

HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) have pretty much been the go-to item for high-end storage for a long time and have very high levels of storage, but they do have a few important caveats to them. Since they have moving parts, they tend to have slow writing speeds, and they also stop working well if they take any form of impact against something (I've seen this happen so many times).

On the other hand, SSD's (Solid State Drives) are another excellent option and come with quite a lot of improvements over HDD's. The first of these is they have no moving parts so they're more resistant to damage and won't be rendered useless immediately. The second is that they're much faster than HDD's on average especially when it comes to running the system. Rather recently they've seen more integration with PC's and such, along with improvements to the capacity they can hold. One of the few downsides to them though is that if something does happen to them the files will be accessible but they're simply read-only, and they're still far more expensive than HDD's for the same storage space (though this is understandable due to the major differences between them).

Personally I'd take SSD over HDD regardless of the price, but what would you rather use?
    Last edited by TechTastic; March 3rd, 2019, 09:54 PM. Reason: To add another point in favor of SSD's.

hi

Comment

Given that the money differential is not a concern, SSDs, of course! They're vastly superior.

If one needs to preserve their data, one can simply refrain from enabling TRIM, and from removing files if that is not an option. Recovery and analytical tools are better when available as well.

Besides, backup creation is much more accessible these days, especially with automatic synchronization; important files should always be backed up.

Comment

Originally posted by P408370R View Post
        Given that the money differential is not a concern, SSDs, of course! They're vastly superior.

If one needs to preserve their data, one can simply refrain from enabling TRIM, and from removing files if that is not an option. Recovery and analytical tools are better when available as well.

Besides, backup creation is much more accessible these days, especially with automatic synchronization; important files should always be backed up.
        Agreed, you get what you pay for with SSD's as they have many advantages over HDD that makes the price difference justified.

Comment

If read and write speed isn't a concern, I prefer HDDs just because of cost-savings. But I essentially just use them as huge jump drives. If I've got a ton of media that I want to transfer between locations and I'm not concerned about time, I happily use my 1tb HDD. Not to say that an SSD wouldn't be better for these tasks, it would. But justifying the added cost to replace a working HDD or even buying a new one isn't easy for something so trivial.

However, for running the OS and general use? SSDs are far superior. The faster read/write speeds make a huge difference in day-to-day operations. My PC doesn't actually have an SSD installed, but my dad bought one for his laptop a few years ago. I handled transferring his data and used it for a bit to make sure it was all done well after I installed the SSD... And man, I can really tell the difference before and after. Programs were quicker to open, navigating through folders was smoother and faster, moving files was faster, and it was generally just a better experience overall.
          Last edited by Cid; March 3rd, 2019, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I started losing respect for hard drives once a friend if mine started having to juggle between them for Xbox 360 games. I know they're a lot bigger now, but they're not big enough.

I dunno about how they work compared to SSDs but I heard they were objectively better.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
              I started losing respect for hard drives once a friend if mine started having to juggle between them for Xbox 360 games. I know they're a lot bigger now, but they're not big enough.

I dunno about how they work compared to SSDs but I heard they were objectively better.
              Can't you get HDDs up to like... 5 terabytes for under $150 now?

That's like 500 Xbox 360 games. That's over 100 PS4/XB1 games. Lol

Comment

HDD's are fairly cheap now though with lots of size to go with that.

Also what size of games are we talking about here, for reference?

Comment

I think everyone would say SSD. I have a few and are great. I did run into some problems with them though. For example, I bought a Toshiba 7 terra and my computer wasn't picking it up. So I bought a 8 Terra from a different company and it works great.

Also I changed the settings on one of my 5 Terra to FAT so I could put a Hobbit movie and now I can't hook it up to my blueray player because it doesn't register it but it did before, smh.

First world problems.

Comment

I got an SSD for my laptop lately and it really sped things up big time. To be somewhat fair my old HDD was a 5000rpm drive, though this is still so much faster than even a 7200 drive. Windows 8.1 boots up in around 5 seconds

Comment

is this a vs thread?

hdd vs ssd

Comment

Originally posted by Beholder View Post
                        is this a vs thread?

hdd vs ssd
                        If you want to view it that way I guess (but that would require having the same view of all comparison topics), but it's more of a "which would you rather use" as well as inquiring which one it is you either have now or had a better experience with.
                        Last edited by TechTastic; March 4th, 2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I've never had the need to use HDD's. If I have too much data for my computer's hard drive, I'll just clean out what I'm not using and it's usually fine. In terms of portable storage, SDD's are preferable because, as stated, they're smaller, cheaper, faster, more resistant to damage, and accepted by other devices that utilize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
                            I've never had the need to use HDD's. If I have too much data for my computer's hard drive, I'll just clean out what I'm not using and it's usually fine. In terms of portable storage, SDD's are preferable because, as stated, they're smaller, cheaper, faster, more resistant to damage, and accepted by other devices that utilize it.
                            It's also talking about the use of either of them within a computer to run its OS and programs as well as without to store files outside of a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by TechTastic View Post

It's also talking about the use of either of them within a computer to run its OS and programs as well as without to store files outside of a computer.
                              I mean yeah, if I needed to keep certain files but my computer didn't have enough space, I'd invest in a HDD, but I just never had the need to.

Comment

HDD's are fairly cheap now though with lots of size to go with that.

Also what size of games are we talking about here, for reference?
                                For reference, I think Halo Reach was 12 gigs on a 20 gig hard drive.

Cid I know they have bigger ones now, but guess what wasn't there when the consoles first came out? So everyone I know is constantly deleting and redownloading the same few games because the factory default is next to nothing.

Comment

Lol. Imagine having such a shit amount of storage that one game takes up half your total space.

*Pushes Nintendo Switch under a blanket*

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post

I mean yeah, if I needed to keep certain files but my computer didn't have enough space, I'd invest in a HDD, but I just never had the need to.
                                    Ok, I see. What about when it comes to running the system and writing speeds then?

For reference, I think Halo Reach was 12 gigs on a 20 gig hard drive.

Cid I know they have bigger ones now, but guess what wasn't there when the consoles first came out? So everyone I know is constantly deleting and redownloading the same few games because the factory default is next to nothing.
                                    True, HDD's had little in the way of the capacity that they provided a decade or so back, but then the jump in storage quality rather recently or so made even terabyte versions fairly more accessible than there were before.

Comment

True, HDD's had little in the way of the capacity that they provided a decade or so back, but then the jump in storage quality rather recently or so made even terabyte versions fairly more accessible than there were before.
                                      That's true, but even then if you're a AAA gamer get ready for Halo to jump from 12 to 80 gigs from one console to the next. GTA V one had a 50 gig update, and any open world is gonna make your free space absolutely plummet. (Didn't Fallout 4 have about 100 gigs before updates or something?)

Comment

That's true, but even then if you're a AAA gamer get ready for Halo to jump from 12 to 80 gigs from one console to the next. GTA V one had a 50 gig update, and any open world is gonna make your free space absolutely plummet. (Didn't Fallout 4 have about 100 gigs before updates or something?)
                                        I see. But wouldn't this be a problem only if a device wasn't particularly dedicated to (and used for) gaming and nothing else? In that case they could easily get way more than a single TB of storage. Only SSD's would be way more expensive per unit of space even though they make for superior running speeds but HDD's these days are next to no issue as long as nothing impacts them too much.

Comment

Working...
                                        X