Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-vaxxers, flat earthers, and climate change deniers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

For as much shit as Christians get, it’s a bit disappointing that so many of the same ones flinging the poo don’t dislike Muslims at least just as much...
    Making a lot of assumptions eh? We excuse us for not wanting to deport the Christians as much as others wish to deport the Muslims. I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

I'll do better to become a deplorable human being and advocate for the deportation of Christians, ya know like the christian immigrants Trump had once preached about saving from bad countries.

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
      Editing a comment
      I mean, I was discussing the double standard applied to Christians and Muslims by some who will endlessly fling shit at Christians but can't do the same for Muslims when given the same thing to look at, slightly different religious coating.

Not anything about deportation, lol.

• OrganizationXV
      OrganizationXV commented
      Editing a comment
      Both of you are just kind of swinging in the direction of an argument, lol.

• Kajin_Style
      Kajin_Style commented
      Editing a comment
      RussianCoffeeAddict Ah yes cause society mistreats christians all the time. You are making a big deal out of nothing.

You two are cute together. ❤

Comment

• Kajin_Style
      Kajin_Style commented
      Editing a comment
      really senpai?

Originally posted by Mr.Sunshine View Post
    That's why I think that its so crucial to listen and discuss all arguments-positions
    Can anyone explain why people seem to believe in this nonsense?

If a kid in school tells their math teacher that 2+2=9 does the math teacher listen to and discuss it? No. The teacher corrects them bluntly. It's not nine, the answer is four.

There's no argument to be had there.

Why do people pretend that there's an argument to be had in concern to things like vaccines? What do we gain, as a society, by entertaining something that is scientifically incorrect? When you give paranoia and ignorance a voice, it tends to spread.

Comment

For as much shit as Christians get, it’s a bit disappointing that so many of the same ones flinging the poo don’t dislike Muslims at least just as much...

They are literally just as ridiculous and have all the same problems Christians do, if not more so, but I’ll never see a ferocity directed towards them like with Christians. Quote an unsavory verse of the Bible, and you’ll prove Christians suck and you are then a paragon of awesomeness, but if you do the same for the Quran...well, that goes too far, and you’re labeled an “Islamaphobe.”

They have literally the same folks opposed to evolution and all that as Christians do.
      First of all, this is a weird off-road argument, lol. But that doesn't matter, I can bring it back.

Have you ever heard of the Hollow Earth theory? It's the idea that, somewhere in Antarctica, there's a big ass hole in the ground that leads to another, much more advanced civilization, that lives on the underside of the Earth's crust (Like a Halo ring but spherical). This theory is "supported" by a diary "written by" a WW 1 pilot named Admiral Byrd that was only found after his death, with no trace of it existing in living memory.

Anyway, one time I saw a Muslim guy use that theory to try and justify a Quran verse about the sun dropping under the earth every night and coming back out the other side every morning.

Comment

• Kajin_Style
        Kajin_Style commented
        Editing a comment
        Good job in keeping it on topic!

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
      First of all, this is a weird off-road argument, lol. But that doesn't matter, I can bring it back.

Have you ever heard of the Hollow Earth theory? It's the idea that, somewhere in Antarctica, there's a big ass hole in the ground that leads to another, much more advanced civilization, that lives on the underside of the Earth's crust (Like a Halo ring but spherical). This theory is "supported" by a diary "written by" a WW 1 pilot named Admiral Byrd that was only found after his death, with no trace of it existing in living memory.

Anyway, one time I saw a Muslim guy use that theory to try and justify a Quran verse about the sun dropping under the earth every night and coming back out the other side every morning.
      lol

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

perfect place to hide alien moon bases tbqh
        Originally posted by Kajin_Style
        I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Can anyone explain why people seem to believe in this nonsense?

If a kid in school tells their math teacher that 2+2=9 does the math teacher listen to and discuss it? No. The teacher corrects them bluntly. It's not nine, the answer is four.

There's no argument to be had there.

Why do people pretend that there's an argument to be had in concern to things like vaccines? What do we gain, as a society, by entertaining something that is scientifically incorrect? When you give paranoia and ignorance a voice, it tends to spread.
          I cant really explain the flat earth shit, i don't really understand how anyone can believe that. Seems like religion is big factor though

As for climate denialists, there's big money being spent to keep people ignorant and people are gonna be skeptical when someone they don't know shows up and a starts spewing jargon they dont understand. If they took 5 minutes to Google those terms they wouldnt be so confused. But instead, they turn on fox news and have oil lobbyists pretending to be experts till they not trust credible info.

Anti-vaxxers are always gonna be a thing cuz needles are scary and most people dont actually understand how needles work. A lot of people have a general distrust of modern medicine and would rather trust their grandma's family cure-all then use actual proven medicine.

The throughline of these things is just a general distrust of "experts" that disagree with what their grandparents told them.

Comment

Flat Earth is a psyop designed to discredit conspiracy theories, such that if anyone has a conspiracy theory that is legit, they get discredited by association.

Comment

They are literally just as ridiculous and have all the same problems Christians do, if not more so, but I’ll never see a ferocity directed towards them like with Christians. Quote an unsavory verse of the Bible, and you’ll prove Christians suck and you are then a paragon of awesomeness, but if you do the same for the Quran...well, that goes too far, and you’re labeled an “Islamaphobe.”

They have literally the same folks opposed to evolution and all that as Christians do.
              People insult and trash on Muslims all the damn time without repurcussions what are you on about?

Comment

Originally posted by King Solomon View Post
                People insult and trash on Muslims all the damn time without repurcussions what are you on about?

And that's a good thing
                Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
                  And that's a good thing
                  Its good from a freedom of speech perspective. I just don't like double standards and shit.

Comment

Originally posted by -Person- View Post

I cant really explain the flat earth shit, i don't really understand how anyone can believe that. Seems like religion is big factor though

As for climate denialists, there's big money being spent to keep people ignorant and people are gonna be skeptical when someone they don't know shows up and a starts spewing jargon they dont understand. If they took 5 minutes to Google those terms they wouldnt be so confused. But instead, they turn on fox news and have oil lobbyists pretending to be experts till they not trust credible info.

Anti-vaxxers are always gonna be a thing cuz needles are scary and most people dont actually understand how needles work. A lot of people have a general distrust of modern medicine and would rather trust their grandma's family cure-all then use actual proven medicine.

The throughline of these things is just a general distrust of "experts" that disagree with what their grandparents told them.
                    I get all that.

What I don't understand is why people defend it and say we should hear them out or try to understand where they're coming from. Because we don't have to do either. We should always bluntly tell them they're wrong and explain why. If you entertain their ignorant thoughts, you make them think they might be right.

Comment

I get all that.

What I don't understand is why people defend it and say we should hear them out or try to understand where they're coming from. Because we don't have to do either. We should always bluntly tell them they're wrong and explain why. If you entertain their ignorant thoughts, you make them think they might be right.
                      ....So, talk down to them? Has that ever worked, at all? It's always been the opposite in my experience - shutting them down and/or treating them like children just reinforces the belief that they're talking to a zealot, whereas taking them through a careful deconstruction of their beliefs will make them realize that they actually don't have a very good reason to believe in most of their conspiracy theories.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

....So, talk down to them? Has that ever worked, at all? It's always been the opposite in my experience - shutting them down and/or treating them like children just reinforces the belief that they're talking to a zealot, whereas taking them through a careful deconstruction of their beliefs will make them realize that they actually don't have a very good reason to believe in most of their conspiracy theories.
                        Always been the opposite of your experiences for me. I've probably spent dozens of hours calmly trying to discuss scientific methods with people and not once have they ever changed their mind.

Comment

Least for Flat Earthers I don't think they're risen in terms of numbers, I think its both due to the internet giving them a louder voice and us hearing about some big name members (B.o.b. specifically).

Comment

In all honesty, vaxxers, round-Earthers, and climate change proponents are getting out of hand.

Will they ever learn?

Comment

I'm with Cid on this one Helly. There's some situations where the facts are the facts and no amount of spin will tell you otherwise. The world is round and vaccines work are just some of those facts. You let these people go on about their nonsense and they'll feel validated and that they are correct. No amount of arguing, math, science, videos, experiments, etc will convince them. Other people have tried and folks like these would rather believe this nonsense than admit the truth. You can find tons of youtube videos of people arguing with flat earthers and flat earthers giving their point of view as to why it is flat.

It has been debunked over and over again and still they don't admit they were wrong. So you are better off just yelling at their faces and telling them to fuck off. Maybe it happening enough times they'll realize their mistake.

Relevant.

Comment

Always been the opposite of your experiences for me. I've probably spent dozens of hours calmly trying to discuss scientific methods with people and not once have they ever changed their mind.
                                What exactly did you say to them to change their minds?

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                                I'm with Cid on this one Helly. There's some situations where the facts are the facts and no amount of spin will tell you otherwise. The world is round and vaccines work are just some of those facts. You let these people go on about their nonsense and they'll feel validated and that they are correct. No amount of arguing, math, science, videos, experiments, etc will convince them. Other people have tried and folks like these would rather believe this nonsense than admit the truth. You can find tons of youtube videos of people arguing with flat earthers and flat earthers giving their point of view as to why it is flat.

It has been debunked over and over again and still they don't admit they were wrong. So you are better off just yelling at their faces and telling them to fuck off. Maybe it happening enough times they'll realize their mistake.

Relevant.

Flattards are a special kind of retarded, due in part to an extreme lack of scientific competence which would already demand an enormous amount of time to correct, but also largely because their beliefs are tied to another foundational set of principles and so you'd have to argue about theism before even getting to their flat earth idea. That, or find an alternate interpretation to the bible verses in question. I don't really care about them for these reasons as well as for the fact that they're not really a danger in any way, so I won't bother contesting we laugh at them.

The other two (anti-vaxxers and climate deniers) can be much more easily persuaded by reason, I feel, since there are enough raw numbers that can be used to make your point. It is very hard to contest numbers without them falling into other fallacious pits that can be turned against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                                  What exactly did you say to them to change their minds?
                                  It's specifically climate change. I link them to climate studies and explain the science as simply as I can. They usually counter with false information spread by conservative politicians, such as the myth that volcanoes contribute more C02 than humans do or that the climate has changed before. So I'll link research from the USGS that proves volcanoes don't and link scientific articles that explain that the climate changing slowly over hundreds of thousands of years is fundamentally different than the climate changing rapidly over a century. I'm usually told my sources are part of a liberal conspiracy or they link conservative articles that dispute the claims with no proof.

You can't win against those people, mate. For every one person you might cause to reconsider their position, there are hundreds that won't. I'd rather harshly discredit them so that maybe they'll be too scared to spread their nonsense to others for fear of being humiliated again.

Comment

It's specifically climate change. I link them to climate studies and explain the science as simply as I can. They usually counter with false information spread by conservative politicians, such as the myth that volcanoes contribute more C02 than humans do or that the climate has changed before. So I'll link research from the USGS that proves volcanoes don't and link scientific articles that explain that the climate changing slowly over hundreds of thousands of years is fundamentally different than the climate changing rapidly over a century. I'm usually told my sources are part of a liberal conspiracy or they link conservative articles that dispute the claims with no proof.

You can't win against those people, mate. For every one person you might cause to reconsider their position, there are hundreds that won't. I'd rather harshly discredit them so that maybe they'll be too scared to spread their nonsense to others for fear of being humiliated again.
                                    ah

it seems I misworded my question slightly

I meant to say - "What did you say to them that changed their minds"

I don't doubt that Wades exist among the climate """"skeptics"""", and sure for those types of people it might be best to just tear them a new asshole so everyone sees how ridiculous they are, but I don't think it should be your first course of action. I guess this really is just anecdotes, but in my experience alot of them are just scientifically illiterate. This is just an assumption, but it may also be due in part to the ages of the people we're dealing with. Generally, I avoid talking to old duffers altogether because I find them totally insufferable and they reinforce my brutal ageism against people above 35, so I'm usually dealing with younger adults who are still a bit more malleable in their beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                                    X