Scientists Establish Link Between Religious Fundamentalism and Brain Damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientists Establish Link Between Religious Fundamentalism and Brain Damage

Unknown at this time whether or not they observed Wade as part of this study...but hey...details...

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/04/sci...VNl2bn3rXm0ccA

"The experimenters predicted that the prefrontal cortex would play a role in religious fundamentalism, since this region is known to be associated with something called ‘cognitive flexibility’. This term refers to the brain’s ability to easily switch from thinking about one concept to another, and to think about multiple things simultaneously. Cognitive flexibility allows organisms to update beliefs in light of new evidence, and this trait likely emerged because of the obvious survival advantage such a skill provides. It is a crucial mental characteristic for adapting to new environments because it allows individuals to make more accurate predictions about the world under new and changing conditions."

"Since religious fundamentalism involves a strict adherence to a rigid set of beliefs, cognitive flexibility and open-mindedness present a challenge for fundamentalists. As such, they predicted that participants with lesions to either the vmPFC or the dlPFC would score low on measures of cognitive flexibility and trait openness and high on measures of religious fundamentalism."

"Religious beliefs can be thought of as socially transmitted mental representations that consist of supernatural events and entities assumed to be real. Religious beliefs differ from empirical beliefs, which are based on how the world appears to be and are updated as new evidence accumulates or when new theories with better predictive power emerge. On the other hand, religious beliefs are not usually updated in response to new evidence...they are fixed and rigid."

"Religious fundamentalism refers to an ideology that emphasizes traditional religious texts and rituals and discourages progressive thinking about religion and social issues. Fundamentalist groups generally oppose anything that questions or challenges their beliefs or way of life. For this reason, they are often aggressive towards anyone who does not share their specific set of supernatural beliefs, and towards science."

CONFIRMED: "The results showed that, as expected, damage to the vmPFC and dlPFC was associated with religious fundamentalism...The data suggests that damage to the vmPFC indirectly promotes religious fundamentalism by suppressing both cognitive flexibility and openness."

^^^Something I think we all suspected btw after the first 500 times we saw

Originally posted by Wade View Post
    So "Logos" explains everything, while "Nothing" explains nothing, and "Chaos" explains nothing.

The Creator, Logos{P,...} must have had the mind-potential, else we would not have minds.
    Therefore the Creator must be a mind, because it has mind-potential, and this Creator has had an eternity to reach its potential, so if it has mind potential which created our minds, then the mind potential should have created its own mind in that eternal existence by now...
    Therefore the Creator is both a mind and almighty; Logos{P,...} governs all conceivable realities.
    Therefore Logos{P, ...} is the greatest conceivable Being in every conceivable world. ("The Heaven and The Heaven of Heavens cannot contain Thee"). Which is Transcendence; But the Logos{P,...} observed in String Theory is assumed to be Transcendent, which is why they use the same laws as the universe we observe to try to describe all conceivable universes, and to try to explain Gravity better.
    Therefore Logos{P, ...} is the same as God, the same God the Biblical authors, flawed as they be, tried to inform you of.
    Therefore John 1:1 is correct. In the Beginning was the Logos and the Logos was God.

But 149 Vietnam War Vets with varying quantified degrees of religious indoctrination and brain trauma kinda sorta make a better case for it

Comment

Yikes. Good thing I decided to update my beliefs.

Comment

Is this effected by all of the arab inbreeding?
        Originally posted by Snap
        "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheko View Post
          Is this effected by all of the arab inbreeding?
          *affected
          might wanna get that checked out. next thing you know you might be running around with bombs strapped to your chest.
          <3

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post

*affected
            might wanna get that checked out. next thing you know you might be running around with bombs strapped to your chest.
            <3
            1v1 me jokers only u fag
            Originally posted by Snap
            "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

Comment

• Max
              Max commented
              Editing a comment
              I got u tomorrow, promise.

Is this a disguised anti-Muslim thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Snap View Post
              What isn't, these days

Comment

Or is it openly hostile to everybody's religion?

Or at least to their mentally handicapped followers.

Comment

I doubt that any sane person would have anything against Islam, the best religion.

Comment

There's no such thing as fundamental Christianity outside of sects. So yeah, this is a clear jab at the muslim communities.

Comment

Originally posted by Timeless Writer View Post
                      There's no such thing as fundamental Christianity outside of sects. So yeah, this is a clear jab at the muslim communities.
                      That's hilariously wrong.

Comment

It has been said Religion is the opium of the asses
                        This Heat - Working Night

Comment

"Only retarded people believe retarded things"

So glad we pandered to nerds and get to funnel tax money to such puzzling issues

Comment

Working...
                          X