Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite Olympian in Greek mythology?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kratos for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
      Kratos for sure.
      Canonically not an Olympian, actually I think he was one of the Fates?
      Last edited by OrganizationXV; March 8th, 2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Canonically not an Olympian...
        He is now.

Comment

None of them.

However, if you asked me for my favorite Muse it would be either Melpomene or Urania. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post
            All the best ideas such as pederasty, right? If the Greeks deserve credit for the Romans' rise (and "rise"), they surely deserve credit for their subsequent fall. ;)
            Even disregarding the dissonance of our values and morals and everything that entails when we discuss history and how ancient societies' influence was disseminated, the founding minds of Rome collectively decided pederasty was beneficial for their society and continued to successfully propagate it without a significant amount of contention for the longest time. In fact, with the transition from the Greek practice to the Roman variant, this unfortunate phenomenon eventually lost its primary significance as a part of "education" and more directly pertained to sexual desire; in that respect, the Romans did it worse.

The fall of Rome was decidedly inevitable and contingent on a large number of factors with complex interaction; indeed, the only good Roman who that wasn't directly derived from Greek mythos -- Terminus -- encapsulated this eventuality perfectly. In any case, to say the Grecian ideas were responsible for the fall of Rome is nonsensical, as you well know.

But I digress. I did not intend to defend Greece by any means; rather, I was simply pointing out why you're anomalous for using the Roman names.

In any event, history is written by the victors, so...
            ...which were the Romans, for all intents and purposes, even when their state and descendant civilizations collapsed.

Unironically fake news. Never took place in the Roman canon because Roman writers were actually, you know, competent.
            Most Greek sources, above all the Iliad, make it manifest that Athena is Ares' superior overall. This is true in every capacity, particularly intellectual prowess (noting that this is taking into consideration Ares is canonically much more intelligent than many people know), and even including physical might.

And sorry to disappoint, but Jupiter, Juno, and Minerva comprise the Roman Capitoline Triad, generally considered the greatest of the gods.

Don't blame me because the goob you're fangirling over is the Smellvin of the pantheon, right down to the name.
            Whichever of her many names one might use, Pallas Athena is the GoAT in any of the ancient pantheons, to the extent that she was canonically beloved to an otherwise unheard-of extent by most immortals and mortals alike. It's not even a contest: literally everything, from her aspects of godhood to her personality to how she guided others to her ultimate preference for peace, points to it. If objectivity could ever be applied to such an assessment, she would be the clear winner.

My "fangirling" is very well-deserved; yours is not.

Originally posted by Helly View Post
            and yet...you live quite comfortably in america
            Bad bait, old fren, but I'll respond just to entertain you.

Please don't be deliberately obtuse.

Globalization had begun even before the Industrial Revolution accelerated it appreciably; by the time the United States was founded, it was already an emerging phenomenon due to colonization. This entailed an unprecedented distribution of ideas and technologies; and, indeed, other states took pages out of America's book more so than the other way around, even when it came to the infant state's tentative policies. The Founding Fathers were foremost among their contemporaneous intellectuals when it came to polity, philosophy, literacy and writing, and even science: due to their theoretical frameworks and practical implementations, the United States was the first truly modern society, the one that induced other states to follow, and evidently the most successful despite the flaws which we perceive more clearly and more often today.

In modern times, the United States continues to have the greatest educational and frontier institutions, still develops the vast majority of the most advanced and greenest technologies (which are then primarily produced in other countries), and continues to boast status as the sole superpower largely due to the great diversity and backbone of the country.

Beyond the atrocities committed in the name of Manifest Destiny, economic growth, and power, such as slavery, indentured servitude, and genocide, the reason the country developed so much was because it took the best ideas and knowledge from many different cultures, but importantly differed from Rome by assembling them together cohesively and throughout the nation's boundaries.

Originally posted by Thar View Post
            Hephaestus

I voted Athena, but I changed my mind and I can't change my vote, so can you please do that?
            Unfortunately, as we discussed earlier, vB5 is a downgrade to vB4 in multiple ways. Consequently, I cannot edit poll responses or even votes. I was unable to discover a way to help you without completely resetting the poll; my apologies!

As you said, your true vote is noted here, at least.

Comment

Which one has better FEATS?
              Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
              Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Hades

Comment

Originally posted by P408370R View Post
                  the United States was the first truly modern society, the one that induced other states to follow, and evidently the most successful despite the flaws which we perceive more clearly and more often today.

In modern times, the United States continues to have the greatest educational and frontier institutions, still develops the vast majority of the most advanced and greenest technologies (which are then primarily produced in other countries), and continues to boast status as the sole superpower largely due to the great diversity and backbone of the country.
                  cringe
                  Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                  Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Aristotle
                    Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                    I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Whoever fucked the most bitches

Comment

Athena. But favorite Greek mythos character period is Achilles easily. Not sure if Kratos was in Greek mythos but if he was he's number 1

Comment

Originally posted by Don Tigris View Post
                          Not sure if Kratos was in Greek mythos but if he was he's number 1
                          Kratos is indeed the divine personification of strength in the Greek mythos.

Comment

begrudgingly, Athena

idk why everyone else picked her, maybe the name recognition, but for me its everything she symbolizes: wisdom, civilization, handcraft, and war.

Although, if we're just throwing random Greek mythos around, I'll toss in Prometheus for consideration. Not an Olympian or even a god, but he's the Titan who created mankind and then defied the gods by giving fire to his creation. He's seen as the progenitor of arts and science, which is fucken huge. I mean, the gods, yea ok they have cool feats and they protect humans I guess....Prometheus created humans, then DEFIED Zeus and the other gods to give culture and science to his creation, and suffered immensely for achieving his goals and bettering humanity. He is the embodiment of genius, progress, sacrifice, and the brilliant fire of ambition.....

Comment

That is my fundamental stratagem; I'm always horrible. :}

If Romans were the pragmatists and engineers, Greeks were the thinkers, philosophers, and scientists; in other words, the Romans named the planets the Greeks had already discovered.

Basically, Rome is parasitic and stole all of the best ideas from other civilizations to assemble their own nightmarish amalgamation.

Also...

Please stride into a smoking chimney as you would a balcony.
                              The way I've heard some historians explain it. Rome conquered Greece but Greece conquered Rome. So instead of Rome stealing Greek culture, Greece unintentionally lived on through Rome. So you can make the case for Greek culture actually being the parasite, which I do not believe.

Due to the Romans using Greek culture we have a lot of information we wouldn't probably have had.

Comment

Even disregarding the dissonance of our values and morals and everything that entails when we discuss history and how ancient societies' influence was disseminated, the founding minds of Rome collectively decided pederasty was beneficial for their society and continued to successfully propagate it without a significant amount of contention for the longest time. In fact, with the transition from the Greek practice to the Roman variant, this unfortunate phenomenon eventually lost its primary significance as a part of "education" and more directly pertained to sexual desire; in that respect, the Romans did it worse.
                                Not really, because being truthful about your hedonistic pursuits as opposed to dressing them up as "altruism" requires a great deal of courage. In which the Greeks were clearly found lacking as they were effortlessly dismantled by their betters.

The fall of Rome was decidedly inevitable and contingent on a large number of factors with complex interaction; indeed, the only good Roman who that wasn't directly derived from Greek mythos -- Terminus -- encapsulated this eventuality perfectly. In any case, to say the Grecian ideas were responsible for the fall of Rome is nonsensical, as you well know.
                                Not on their own, but they certainly didn't hurt. Well, they did, but you know what I mean...

But I digress. I did not intend to defend Greece by any means; rather, I was simply pointing out why you're anomalous for using the Roman names.
                                That is exactly what you're doing, while concomitantly acting as though the Romans weren't behind some of mankind's greatest inventions. From the roads you walk on to the Julian calendar (which served as the precursor for the Gregorian one that only replaced it relatively recently) that we use to this day; from the bound volumes you like so much to the surgical tools and procedures that still see use; from the sewers you rely on to the advanced legal system; from the prototypical UPS to the Mickey-Ds. Tell me, am I also "anomalous" for using Roman numerals as well?

...which were the Romans, for all intents and purposes, even when their state and descendant civilizations collapsed.
                                In other words, the Romans won the game because the planets' names weren't reverted to the Greek, nor were they replaced by subsequent empires' own.

Most Greek sources, above all the Iliad, make it manifest that Athena is Ares' superior overall. This is true in every capacity, particularly intellectual prowess (noting that this is taking into consideration Ares is canonically much more intelligent than many people know), and even including physical might.
                                Again:

"Roman writers were actually, you know, competent."

The Iliad was written by a Grecian fuckwit who couldn't write a proper God of War to save his life, NOT a Roman gentleman and scholar.

Virtually every other iteration of Ares outside of Greek mythos (from DC to Marvel) has Ares as Athena's physical superior. Tartarus, even Zeus'. The latter does have more "firepower" thanks to his affinity, but that is to be expected.

I do agree with Ares, even Mars, lagging slightly behind in terms of intellectual prowess, though "particularly" is downright laughable. Nevertheless, his immense knowledge of strategy and tactics is second only to Athena's.

And sorry to disappoint, but Jupiter, Juno, and Minerva comprise the Roman Capitoline Triad, generally considered the greatest of the gods.
                                That's cute and everything, but ultimately irrelevant. As a standalone god, Mars' role was second only to Jupiter's. The others barely even registered. lol

Whichever of her many names one might use, Pallas Athena is the GoAT in any of the ancient pantheons, to the extent that she was canonically beloved to an otherwise unheard-of extent by most immortals and mortals alike. It's not even a contest: literally everything, from her aspects of godhood to her personality to how she guided others to her ultimate preference for peace, points to it. If objectivity could ever be applied to such an assessment, she would be the clear winner.
                                >Goddess of War
                                >Preferred peace

>Beloved by mortals; good personality
                                >Embarrassed by a mortal in a weaving contest, flies into a rage, and turns her into a spider

Oh nonono

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

>Goddess of War
                                  >Preferred peace

>Beloved by mortals; good personality
                                  >Embarrassed by a mortal in a weaving contest, flies into a rage, and turns her into a spider

Oh nonono
                                  baka

leave athena-dono alone, desu >///<

Comment

baka

leave athena-dono alone, desu >///<
                                    I hate self-righteous types more than anything of all the everything I hate in this world, so nah

Probably shouldn't have talked shit about my Uncle Mars tbh

And it's *Minerva, you Rule 63'd Melvin

P.S. Die weeb

Comment

begrudgingly, Athena

idk why everyone else picked her, maybe the name recognition, but for me its everything she symbolizes: wisdom, civilization, handcraft, and war.
                                      If it makes you feel better, I changed my vote but there's no way to do that in the poll because lol forum updates

Comment

Bitch ass Jupiter and Juno don't deserve any votes, but I'm kind of surprised that Bacchus, Mercury, Diana, Apollo, and Neptune didn't get a single one either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X