People in California thanking God that it rained

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zemoco View Post

I could be wrong, but he actually can't make you do anything. He can only tempt you with offers and it's up to you to seize them (Temptation of Christ)
    “The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” -Joseph Conrad

Take Wade for example. When he inevitably shoots up a gay nightclub or abortion clinic, I'm not going to immediately blame the Devil. I'm going to blame him for refusing to take his antipsychotics.

While Satan is undoubtedly capable of temptation (and outright bruteforcing your will if he so desires), he gets a bad rap. He's not to blame for every bad thing in the world; some, like Wade, are born bad.
    Last edited by Oneiros; November 26th, 2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

“The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.” -Joseph Conrad

Take Wade for example. When he inevitably shoots up a gay nightclub or abortion clinic, I'm not going to immediately blame the Devil. I'm going to blame him for refusing to take his antipsychotics.

While Satan is undoubtedly capable of temptation (and outright bruteforcing your will if he so desires), he gets a bad rap. He's not to blame for every bad thing in the world; some, like Wade, are born bad.
      Of course, I don't believe that. Just as people are capable of great acts of compassion, people are also capable of committing horrible atrocities. Generally, if it's possible, it will happen at some point, because there will always be at least some people willing to do them.

Also while we are on the subject, God has killed a fuck ton more people than Satan has.

Comment

Of course, I don't believe that. Just as people are capable of great acts of compassion, people are also capable of committing horrible atrocities. Generally, if it's possible, it will happen at some point, because there will always be at least some people willing to do them.

Also while we are on the subject, God has killed a fuck ton more people than Satan has.
        If we wanna get technical, God being omniscient when he created Satan makes him responsible for every death at Satan's hand.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

If we wanna get technical, God being omniscient when he created Satan makes him responsible for every death at Satan's hand.
          Yea. Not mention the fact that he hardened the Pharoah's heart, making him physically incapable of releasing the people of Israel from captivity, and then proceeded to kill everyones first born son. This means everyone is suffering for no reason, because he made it that way. Not to mention destroying Sodom and Gomorrah just because gay people lived there, flooding the earth, etc.

The more you analyze it, the more you will realize that

A. God is evil ( Well, a better word is probably inconsistent. In the end, you can't really judge an omnipotent entity using the morality of humans, but if you compare the laws god set forth for people, he does seem kind of hypocritical.)

B. He doesn't exist, or at least the Abrahamic one doesn't.

Comment

A. God is evil ( Well, a better word is probably inconsistent. In the end, you can't really judge an omnipotent entity using the morality of humans, but if you compare the laws god set forth for people, he does seem kind of hypocritical.)
            Not going to bother deliberating Point B because I don't want to be that guy, but I do agree with A.

At the very least, God isn't this all-benevolent being that He is made out to be. Even ignoring the fact that deeply flawed creatures like us were evidently "made in His image," He canonically manifests the seven deadly sins; namely, pride and wrath.

I'm willing to overlook Him making Lucifer the way that he is, though. Scapegoat or not, he is the necessary "counterbalance" to God. He may not be 100% evil, true, but then God is not 100% good either.
            Last edited by Oneiros; November 27th, 2018, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Not going to bother deliberating Point B because I don't want to be that guy, but I do agree with A.

At the very least, God isn't this all-benevolent being that He is made out to be. Even ignoring the fact that deeply flawed creatures like us were evidently "made in His image," He canonically manifests the seven deadly sins; namely, pride and wrath.

I'm willing to overlook Him making Lucifer the way that he is, though. Scapegoat or not, he is the necessary "counterbalance" to God. He may not be 100% evil, true, but then God is not 100% good either.
              In regards to Part B, I'm not atheist, I'm agnostic. Just that if you read the bible, God is incredibly inconsistent with the laws that he denotes. Hell, the New Testament was meant to replace the Old Testament, and yet it's still considered a canon integral part. It's like buying a new car, and yet you need your old cars key to drive it around.

I do think an omnipotent entity exist (Or doesn't, whatever), just that they are largely involved and everything that occurs are just events that occur, with them having no strong feelings for it either way.

In the end, no matter whats out there, I'd say as long as you try your best to be the best person you can be, and try to get through life with as little detriment to others as possible, I don't see why anyone could complain.

Comment

In regards to Part B, I'm not atheist, I'm agnostic. Just that if you read the bible, God is incredibly inconsistent with the laws that he denotes. Hell, the New Testament was meant to replace the Old Testament, and yet it's still considered a canon integral part. It's like buying a new car, and yet you need your old cars key to drive it around.

I do think an omnipotent entity exist (Or doesn't, whatever), just that they are largely involved and everything that occurs are just events that occur, with them having no strong feelings for it either way.

In the end, no matter whats out there, I'd say as long as you try your best to be the best person you can be, and try to get through life with as little detriment to others as possible, I don't see why anyone could complain.
                Ah, OK. I'm not particularly inclined to convince you to lean any particular way, mind you. Just trying to avoid Wade going berserk and off on wild tangents with tl;dr after tl;dr after tl;dr is all.

Yeah, God really does come across as this detached higher being tuning in every day to watch an unending epic unfold, much like a fan of a hit TV show. Or even as a writer, based on your notions of free will and fate.

This dogma, I think, is something any theist, atheist, or agnostic should reasonably be able to agree on, but alas...
                Last edited by Oneiros; November 27th, 2018, 01:19 AM.

Comment

I have had a dream which told me I haven't been "feeding" you guys the right spiritual food.

Since I have revealed some of my own character flaws, I'm going to talk about the story of Samson. Samson is the perfect example of a flawed hero.

He is one of the "Judges" of Israel. The Judges of Israel were special prophets who were given special anointing to deliver Israel's righteous generations from their oppressors. When Israel was overcome with sin, God would allow their enemies to prevail against them. And when a generation of righteous people cried to God for help, God would raise up one or more "Judges" to deliver them from the other nations.

So the story starts with an Angel of God appearing to the wife of Manoah, who is barren, and the Angel tells her that she will have a son. The son is to be a nazarite and may not shave his head, drink anything from the vine, or eat any unclean thing. This is to be Samson the next Judge after a 40 years punishment sentence had been held against the people of Israel.

So fast-forward until Samson is an adult. The text of the scripture states that God moved Samson to find an occasion against the Philistines, so Samson went to the Philistine camp and fell in love with a Philistine woman. So Samson gets his parents to arrange the marriage to the young woman. On the way back, Samson is attacked by a lion, but kills the lion with his bare hands, because the text states that the Spirit of the Lord "Moved MIghtily" upon Samson. He literally ripped the lion in half with his bare hands. This is the first major miracle recorded for Samson. On the way back a few days later, a swarm of bees had made a nest inside the body of the lion's remains, and Samson took some of the honey and ate it.

Story to be continued in the morning.

The Story of Samson is like a comic book that happens to be true.

Comment

I had a dream that I caught a serpent by the base of its head so that it could not bite me. A bit later, the serpent somehow got loose, but started coughing up rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                      I have had a dream which told me I haven't been "feeding" you guys the right spiritual food.
                      We all know you're full of shit, mate. Nothing you "feed" us is going to make us change our minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

We all know you're full of shit, mate. Nothing you "feed" us is going to make us change our minds.
                        I already know that.

You are the serpent, and the rocks are false prophecy.

Comment

I already know that.

Pot, meet kettle.

Comment

I already know that.

The difference here is that we home. You literally call your own dreams and inclinations prophesy and Biblical truth. You're the one who devoted his life to following half-truths and leading people astray the same way the devil would- by mixing the truth and lies together

I noticed you keep ignoring me but I think it's important for you to recognize that you're just making shit up. God doesn't give people visions that tell people that the Bible is full of lies. You will go to hell of you continue that line of reasoningand it turns out God is actually real.

Comment

Satan literally did nothing wrong. Dude saw naked, ignorant thought-slaves in the Garden of Eden and taught them critical thinking.

Then god got a giant hate-boner on judging humans for being human.
                              Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; November 27th, 2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Comment

even ignoring the general insensitivity regarding the fires thrown around here

many people have lost their belongings and even more have died. It's pretty fucked up to ask "who cares" in this kind of situation.
                                  Last edited by Sza; November 27th, 2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I'm going to talk about the story of Samson.
                                    Does smoking meth and quoting bible stories make you a Methodist???

Asking for a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                    X