Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we take down websites like 8Chan in order to reduce the spread of radical ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we take down websites like 8Chan in order to reduce the spread of radical ideas?

I read this article (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...festo.amp.html)recently, and started thinking about how the internet contributes to the spread of dangerous ideologies.

According to the FBI, the one of the causes of the recent rise in radical ideology fueled mass shootings is the internet. Websites like 8Chan and The Daily Stormer give young, impressionable people, and mentally unstable people the voice they need to spout their beliefs, while also giving them a community to communicate with. In fact, 8Chan itself has been connected to at least 3 shootings (El Paso, New Zealand, and the synagogue shooting in California), which gives some credence to the thought that these sites contribute to the shift between thought and action for these shooters. On the other hand, though, there’s obviously the grander ethical problem of policing people’s thoughts and restricting their freedom, which could have larger problems. There’s also the question of to what extent these websites fuel these shooter’s ambitions, but regardless, should the internet be more regulated, and should websites that spread radical ideologies like 8Chan be forcibly taken down or is that too restrictive on freedom?

Freedom of speech does not give people the right to be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post
      Freedom of speech does not give people the right to be stupid.
      Are you saying the government should (or at least be able) to act to make sure people aren't "stupid" because they...don't have a right to be...?

...Cuz if you aren't super specific about that...

Comment

I get temporarily banned from facebook every time I point out that faggotry is immoral. Apparently, it's a hate speech violation to try to save a soul or two from hell fire.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

Are you saying the government should (or at least be able) to act to make sure people aren't "stupid" because they...don't have a right to be...?

...Cuz if you aren't super specific about that...
          Nah, clearly generalizing is the solution to proactive prevention, we just aren't generalizing enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Thar View Post

Nah, clearly generalizing is the solution to proactive prevention, we just aren't generalizing enough.
            I think Homosexuals go to Hell, but I'm not going to buy an assault rifle and shoot up a crowded night club because of it. I think that's between them and God.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
              I get temporarily banned from facebook every time I point out that faggotry is immoral. Apparently, it's a hate speech violation to try to save a soul or two from hell fire.
              Everything you say is comedy gold lmao. You should start a satirical blog but just write down your real thoughts under the guise of satire

Comment

I'd prefer the psychos have a place to vent and circle-jerk their respective manifestos among like-minded individuals in a relatively harmless fashion than to not and release their pent-up frustrations in the worst way imaginable. Sure, the current situation is hardly ideal and we still get shooters occasionally, but not nearly as many as we'd get with the alternative.

Comment

degeneracy is being normalized and even celebrated

soon you'll be thrown in jail for not letting a transexual try to rape you
                  Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                  I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

don't come to T5 tomorrow

Comment

I don't think there's any point to shutting down websites like 8chan. If people don't have an echo chamber to spout their rhetoric from, they'll make it elsewhere. Shutting down a site accomplishes two things; it hardens their hearts because now they feel personally targeted, and it garners some sympathy for them. I think this would only further radicalize people.

That said...

You also get banned from T5 for the same thing. You're not saving souls, you're just either an annoyance or a punchline depending on who you ask. Stop pretending you're doing any good to anyone and just shut the fuck up.
                      Originally posted by Wade
                      Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

I mean, yes, the internet should be regulated for various reasons, mostly because it's literal cancer on mental health and it contributes to corporate bootlicking, among otber reasons, but this is the fucking stupidest reason yet. It contributes to extremism? Because radical, extremist groups weren't a thing before the internet lmao
                        Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                        Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Originally posted by Augustus Caesar View Post
                          I read this article (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...festo.amp.html)recently, and started thinking about how the internet contributes to the spread of dangerous ideologies.

According to the FBI, the one of the causes of the recent rise in radical ideology fueled mass shootings is the internet. Websites like 8Chan and The Daily Stormer give young, impressionable people, and mentally unstable people the voice they need to spout their beliefs, while also giving them a community to communicate with. In fact, 8Chan itself has been connected to at least 3 shootings (El Paso, New Zealand, and the synagogue shooting in California), which gives some credence to the thought that these sites contribute to the shift between thought and action for these shooters. On the other hand, though, there’s obviously the grander ethical problem of policing people’s thoughts and restricting their freedom, which could have larger problems. There’s also the question of to what extent these websites fuel these shooter’s ambitions, but regardless, should the internet be more regulated, and should websites that spread radical ideologies like 8Chan be forcibly taken down or is that too restrictive on freedom?
                          The problem isn't the websites, it's the psychos that visit them.

Comment

The better option would be for law enforcement to flag these faggots and actually you know do their job. Racism nigga post a pic online with a 9 millimeter the feds kicking the door in. These idiots practically declare the shit before they do it. We got 17 intelligence agencies think about that fact. You can’t catch these losers who look like they just got done playing fort nite . America is hilarious lol
                            Last edited by 40 acres; August 5th, 2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                              degeneracy is being normalized and even celebrated

soon you'll be thrown in jail for not letting a transexual try to rape you
                              Exactly. In the Bible these perverts ended up gang raping people on a few notorious occasions, such at Sodom and Gomorrah and in the story of the Levite's Concubine.

This reminds me of that time a group of gays invaded a church, naked, and paraded around the Sanctuary in the middle of worship service. They have no reservations against trespassing and breaking the law (indecent exposure) and mockery of God's Holiness.The Christians forgave them and didn't press charges, but they could have had them all arrested.
                              Last edited by Wade; August 5th, 2019, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 40 acres View Post
                                The better option would be for law enforcement to flag these faggots and actually you know do their job. Racism nigga post a pic online with a 9 millimeter the feds kicking the door in. These idiots practically declare the shit before they do it. We got 17 intelligence agencies think about that fact. You can’t catch these losers who look like they just got done pls footnote. America is hilarious lol
                                Considering the Facebook kidnapping livestream just... Happening, I agree.
                                Originally posted by Wade
                                Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

The better option would be for law enforcement to flag these faggots and actually you know do their job. Racism nigga post a pic online with a 9 millimeter the feds kicking the door in. These idiots practically declare the shit before they do it. We got 17 intelligence agencies think about that fact. You can’t catch these losers who look like they just got done pls footnote. America is hilarious lol
                                  Stephen Paddock didn't declare anything and apparently didn't write a manifesto either. He just carried 20-something assault weapons into a hotel room, which he had apparently planned and dry run for several weeks, and then opened fire on the concert. He was a millionaire with no rational nor irrational motive for murder, other than just being evil incarnate.

Think about that. No warning. His brother claimed there was no warning at all that this was about to happen. He claimed he didn't know his brother owned assault weapons either, so maybe Paddock purchased all of them within a few weeks before the actual shooting, or maybe he had a hidden stash for years, who knows.
                                  Last edited by Wade; August 5th, 2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

That might be considered a violation of the 4th amendment by some lawyers, I don't know. If they actually claimed to have a plan to do something evil, that would be considered "Terrorizing" and could lead to an arrest if the Police were made aware of it.

In my home town, some High School girl joked on her social media page that she was going to shoot up the school, and she got arrested for "terrorizing".

So it's not impossible to catch people if the post violent plans on social media.

I'm n ot guilty of "terrorizing" homosexuals just because I oppose homosexuals. I've never advocated on social medial for people to shoot up crowds of gays at a gay bar/club for example, and think it was pretty stupid what that Muslim did, evne though he was technically obeying Islam when he did that.

Comment

Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
                                      I mean, yes, the internet should be regulated for various reasons, mostly because it's literal cancer on mental health and it contributes to corporate bootlicking, among otber reasons, but this is the fucking stupidest reason yet. It contributes to extremism? Because radical, extremist groups weren't a thing before the internet lmao
                                      Radical Extremism was the Norm from the Dark Ages through about the 1600's.

Christians were freaking idiots in that time period, burn everyone alive for being a "witch" even if they couldn't prove it. Some of the tests for witchcraft were death sentences, such as "Pressing" with stones or throwing someone in the harbor with a rock tied to them, if they survived they were considered a witch and killed anyway, and if they died nobody repented of the sin of murder of an innocent.

the worst hypocrisy about this is "Witchcraft" is never actually functionally defined in the Bible, other than Samuel's mention of "rebellion is as the sin of Witchcraft". So apparently Samuel thought everyoen who disobeyed God even one time was a Witch. LOL. I consider Samuel a False Prophet, and for that I am probably considered a heretic by Frances Swaggart.

you could be accused of witchcraft if there was a spell of bad weather, or a plague of insects, even though the Bible claims God sends plagues of insects, not witches.
                                      Last edited by Wade; August 5th, 2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

The better option would be for law enforcement to flag these faggots
                                        Bingo.

Like--just Imagine for a moment what the government response would be if American schools and shopping centers and congregations were being shot up this frequently by dudes named Mohammad al Sayaad and Abdul Bakaar instead of dudes named Adam Lanza and Dylan Roof.

Lowkey. This is the real 'War on Terrorism'
                                        Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; August 5th, 2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X