This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ladd View Post
    Post-Crisis Shob I really wanna hear your take on this.
    I can overlook a politician not lining up perfectly with my beliefs on every issue or being the most experienced candidate in the field if he strikes me as an exceptionally intelligent mind + man of unimpeachable good character.

And thats the impression I get from Buttigieg.

He speaks 7 languages.
    Everything he says is clearly laid out, on-point, and well-reasoned.

And I do not detect an ounce of falsity, pretense, or mean-spiritedness from him. Hes one of those rare politicians who I genuinely think believes everything that he says. And is running because he feels a call to public service + a compulsion to give voice to whats wrong with the politics of the day and stand against it; not out of any lust for fame or fortune or power or self-serving desire to make a name for himself or advance his career.

The same can perhaps be said for Bernie.

But the impression I get is that Buttigieg is much, much, much, MUCH mentally sharper than Bernie.

And Buttigieg might not have the progressive cred that Bernie has, but again, there's nothing that he's egregiously wrong on.
    ______

I dunno. There's a genuineness and countenance to the man that I find refreshing.

Like--I consider myself a reasonably intelligent fellow + fairly gifted in the arts of persuasive speech.
    Also a generally good person, and not a terrible judge of character.

I see so many politicians--even ones I agree with and I think are right on issues--where I'm just like "wtf is this clown doing??? Noooooooo--don't use that stupid talking point!!! Do you not know how to defend your positions? There are good arguments for why what you're saying is right--make them!"

Its so nice to listen to a guy where every time he speaks its like "Yep. Couldn't have said it better myself."
    Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; November 8th, 2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

And I might be in the minority on this one here.

But on the big issue thats been dominating the primary debate so far--healthcare

...I actually like Buttigieg's position better than Warren and Bernie's...

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
        And I might be in the minority on this one here.

But on the big issue thats been dominating the primary debate so far--healthcare

...I actually like Buttigieg's position better than Warren and Bernie's...
        Why exactly? He's giving into the private insurance interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladd View Post

Why exactly? He's giving into the private insurance interests.
          So ideally, if I could just wave a magic wand and implement my policy-of-choice....

-Medicare-for-all style universal healthcare, funded via progressive income taxes + deep, deep cuts to military spending, as primary form of healthcare financing

-Medicare-for-all provides baseline access to treatment, preventative care, and prescription drugs

-Private Insurance still exists

-Private Insurance exists as a luxury good for wealthy persons who are able and willingly to pay a monthly premium for additional coverage beyond baseline access.

-No one who wants to use the public option will be forced to buy private insurance.

-No one who can afford + wants to keep using private insurance will be forced to use the public option.

________

Bernie and Warren want the medicare-for-all-public option. (which I like)

But they also want to completely eliminate the option of using private insurance. (which I don't)

Buttigieg's plan is a much closer approximation of what I think the ideal policy should look like.

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
            Editing a comment
            Honestly, at least on the surface, Buttigieg’s plan IS preferable to Bernie’s and Warren’s.

But he also seems like an empty case otherwise that just comes with the skill to make himself approachable, disregarding any of my specific policy disagreements that I have with him.

...He just seems too good to be true...
            Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; November 11th, 2019, 02:36 PM.

I consider myself a reasonably intelligent fellow
          lol
          Tab for a cause: http://tab.gladly.io/?r=11370382

Comment

Originally posted by The Gunboat Diplomat View Post

lol
            Oh hey, it’s Gunboat.

Did the bumping of the China thread bring you out...?

Comment

Like--I consider myself a reasonably intelligent fellow
              most psuedo intellectuals do yeah

Originally posted by Kajin_Style
              I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

He speaks 7 languages.
                Everything he says is clearly laid out, on-point, and well-reasoned.

And I do not detect an ounce of falsity, pretense, or mean-spiritedness from him. Hes one of those rare politicians who I genuinely think believes everything that he says. And is running because he feels a call to public service + a compulsion to give voice to whats wrong with the politics of the day and stand against it; not out of any lust for fame or fortune or power or self-serving desire to make a name for himself or advance his career.
                Yeah okay. There's nothing genuine about him. Everything he says is so rehearsed and prewritten, like a god damn robot.
                He has no beliefs, he just goes with what his wealthy donors want. He doesn't care about regular people, he's a corporate shill. He apparently used to be more of a real progressive before he became the establishment's new darling.
                There's not a single candidate that feels more fake than him. Even Kamala feels more like a real person.

I haven't totally looked into what was going on in his city, but I've heard plenty of stuff going on in the police force he oversaw.

Comment

So ideally, if I could just wave a magic wand and implement my policy-of-choice....

-Medicare-for-all style universal healthcare, funded via progressive income taxes + deep, deep cuts to military spending, as primary form of healthcare financing

-Medicare-for-all provides baseline access to treatment, preventative care, and prescription drugs

-Private Insurance still exists

-Private Insurance exists as a luxury good for wealthy persons who are able and willingly to pay a monthly premium for additional coverage beyond baseline access.

-No one who wants to use the public option will be forced to buy private insurance.

-No one who can afford + wants to keep using private insurance will be forced to use the public option.

________

Bernie and Warren want the medicare-for-all-public option. (which I like)

But they also want to completely eliminate the option of using private insurance. (which I don't)

Buttigieg's plan is a much closer approximation of what I think the ideal policy should look like.

I can agree with a private option, but ONLY if the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries are heavily regulated to prevent them from jacking up prices on people with the public option or from providing a lesser quality of care.

Without heavy government intervention, people with Medicare would most definitely be treated worse if people with better-paying private insurances exist.

Basically, there needs to be caps on medical costs. If we can't do that, then eliminating private insurance is the only way to ensure equal treatment of patients.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

I can agree with a private option, but ONLY if the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries are heavily regulated to prevent them from jacking up prices on people with the public option or from providing a lesser quality of care.

Without heavy government intervention, people with Medicare would most definitely be treated worse if people with better-paying private insurances exist.

Basically, there needs to be caps on medical costs. If we can't do that, then eliminating private insurance is the only way to ensure equal treatment of patients.
                    It would need heavy regulation regardless, I think. In fact, it might be more necessary if the only insurance competition is through the government.

I've heard from an uncle who works in construction that, in order to get a government contract, you have to raise the price for your work by about an extra third. If you offer them a normal rate, they'll skip you over because money=quality.
                    Originally posted by Wade
                    Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                      It would need heavy regulation regardless, I think. In fact, it might be more necessary if the only insurance competition is through the government.

I've heard from an uncle who works in construction that, in order to get a government contract, you have to raise the price for your work by about an extra third. If you offer them a normal rate, they'll skip you over because money=quality.
                      Healthcare would be a bit different than typical government contracts, I think. Mostly because insurers already negotiate prices with companies to lower the total cost before committing to paying anything. The government currently isn't allowed to negotiate prices, so Medicaid and Medicare regularly get ripped off and overpay. If the public option was the only option and if the restriction on negotiation was repealed, the government would essentially just pay out what it considers fair and the hospitals, doctors, and big pharma would just have to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X