This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J peth View Post

that's the problem with search metrics though. You don't know if the person looking them up is for or against them. I promise you that a great many "journalists" google Trump every fucking day to make some contrived article about what pants he wore that day.

And to clarify, I'm not saying Trump isn't a bad president. He has fucked up every good thing he had going for him in his first year and pulled a con job on all his decent policy proposals (TPP and such). I just hate seeing how many god damned shallow hit pieces attack his character rather than his disastrous policy actions. It's lazy journalism and pisses me off.
    Search metrics will be a good way to determine a primary candidate's overall popularity in the beginning, that's what I'll keep an eye on. Once it gets to the end stages of the primaries and there aren't 420 democratic candidates, it'll be way less valuable of a tool. In the beginning, though? If someone like Gabbard or Klobuchar isn't garnering more than 1 or 2% of the search results, you can basically scratch them off the list on failed name recognition alone.

I only threw the tidbit about Trump in there because I was genuinely surprised by how much his name gets searched in comparison to Bernie and Biden. Bernie is getting ~40% of the search results steadily when you just have him and the other DNC candidates. Throw Trump in there and Bernie's search percentage plummets to less like 5% while Trump is getting like 60% of the searches.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Search metrics will be a good way to determine a primary candidate's overall popularity in the beginning, that's what I'll keep an eye on. Once it gets to the end stages of the primaries and there aren't 420 democratic candidates, it'll be way less valuable of a tool. In the beginning, though? If someone like Gabbard or Klobuchar isn't garnering more than 1 or 2% of the search results, you can basically scratch them off the list on failed name recognition alone.

I only threw the tidbit about Trump in there because I was genuinely surprised by how much his name gets searched in comparison to Bernie and Biden. Bernie is getting ~40% of the search results steadily when you just have him and the other DNC candidates. Throw Trump in there and Bernie's search percentage plummets to less like 5% while Trump is getting like 60% of the searches.
      That's just it, search results show name recognition not popularity. In early primaries you can knock names off the list if they have low search counts generally, but I'd argue that Bernie didn't have that good of metrics last time and that wasn't because he lacked popularity but because he lacked name recognition compared to others.

Comment

Originally posted by J peth View Post

That's just it, search results show name recognition not popularity. In early primaries you can knock names off the list if they have low search counts generally, but I'd argue that Bernie didn't have that good of metrics last time and that wasn't because he lacked popularity but because he lacked name recognition compared to others.
        Popularity and name recognition kind of go hand in hand, dude.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...,%2Fm%2F0d06m5

Here's Bernie vs Hillary during the primary season, by the way. His search results were pretty much dead-even with hers throughout most of it. So he did have significant name recognition.

Comment

ya'll hyped for trump 2020?
          Originally posted by Snap
          "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

Comment

Beto O'Rourke is expected to announce his candidacy tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll have the time and energy to update the candidate thing on the front page... lol

Comment

Maybe I'll have the time and energy to update the candidate thing on the front page... lol
              You gonna add Gang Emperor Yang???

^^^

(not sure if meaningless shit-memes, or the alt-right is cannibalizing itself)

Comment

Updated the list of candidates. It's just a graphic now but at least it looks pretty and provides some information.

Comment

I guess at this point out:

I like Bernie. Hes been saying the same thing for 50 years now and saying it since before it was the hip-and-trendy thing to say: hes not a crook or an opportunist, and hes actually focused on the big problems facing the country rather than petty bullshit. I think he'd win every state that Hillary won in a general election and probably pick up some key states in the midwest--he could win.

I like Biden. I question whether someone as centrist as Biden can actually win a Democratic Primary right now; the party has moved so far to the left. But I like Biden. Also think he wins every state that Hillary won in a general election and probably picks up some key states in the midwest--he could win.

I like Warren. If shes the nominee the general election is going to be a shitshow of Trump throwing out "Pocahontas" one-liners, and I don't know how well she plays outside the liberal Northeast. She supports most of the same policies as Bernie, but she does it in a more heady and intellectual way whereas Bernie is more of a populist sloganeer. Populist sloganeer is probably a better messenger atm.

I like Harris. I know some liberals think its a dealbreaker that she use to be a prosecutor and that she put people in jail for petty drug offenses. I can overlook it--she understands its an issue and shes on the right side of it now as a lawmaker. Thats what matters. Again; I don't know how well she plays in a Democratic primary. Between Biden in the establishment lane and Sanders/Warren on the left, I don't know what her base is.

No idea why Beto is even running. His political resume begins and ends with "lost an election to Ted Cruz." Next.

Hearing a lot of noise about Gabbard and Gillibrand, but I don't get the sense that either of them have any real traction.

No one else is worth mentioning atm.

EDIT: lol I forgot Cory Booker

Guess that tells you what I think about his chances, doesn't it?

Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; March 14th, 2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                    SAYS THE GUY FROM NEW JERSEY

Comment

SAYS THE GUY FROM NEW JERSEY
                      I know right

Comment

Hmm 2020bernie.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                          I guess at this point out:

I like Bernie. Hes been saying the same thing for 50 years now and saying it since before it was the hip-and-trendy thing to say: hes not a crook or an opportunist, and hes actually focused on the big problems facing the country rather than petty bullshit. I think he'd win every state that Hillary won in a general election and probably pick up some key states in the midwest--he could win.

I like Biden. I question whether someone as centrist as Biden can actually win a Democratic Primary right now; the party has moved so far to the left. But I like Biden. Also think he wins every state that Hillary won in a general election and probably picks up some key states in the midwest--he could win.

I like Warren. If shes the nominee the general election is going to be a shitshow of Trump throwing out "Pocahontas" one-liners, and I don't know how well she plays outside the liberal Northeast. She supports most of the same policies as Bernie, but she does it in a more heady and intellectual way whereas Bernie is more of a populist sloganeer. Populist sloganeer is probably a better messenger atm.

I like Harris. I know some liberals think its a dealbreaker that she use to be a prosecutor and that she put people in jail for petty drug offenses. I can overlook it--she understands its an issue and shes on the right side of it now as a lawmaker. Thats what matters. Again; I don't know how well she plays in a Democratic primary. Between Biden in the establishment lane and Sanders/Warren on the left, I don't know what her base is.

No idea why Beto is even running. His political resume begins and ends with "lost an election to Ted Cruz." Next.

Hearing a lot of noise about Gabbard and Gillibrand, but I don't get the sense that either of them have any real traction.

No one else is worth mentioning atm.

Guess that tells you what I think about his chances, doesn't it?
                          Gillibrand isn't getting very far, but Gabbard is starting to make it into conversation from time to time now I'm noticing. Usually only because of her foreign policy.... But honestly she doesn't talk about much else so that makes sense. If she can win the primary I'd say she has a strong chance in the general.

Also thinking biden has a chance is ignoring all his previous attempts, not to mention the fact that his infamous "rich people are the solution[to the economy] not the problem" line is going to haunt him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chibz View Post

Comment

Comment

Best Thing About Campaign Season:

Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; March 15th, 2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Screenshot_20190315-162148_Twitter.jpg

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict;n524194
                                  Racism is a “major issue” only because some people want it to be.

Comment

That's a really, really unfortunate image of Booker.

Comment

Andrew Yang has my vote.

Also holy shit can we ban Shob for posting these boomer Facebook memes? Like wtf year is it
                                      Originally posted by Snap
                                      "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

Comment

So how is it that this "Beto" "I lost to Ted Cruz" O'Rourke guy has managed to surpass Bernie's first-24-hours funding binge?

I mean, at least Bernie was in the presidential race before O'Rourke...

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
                                          So how is it that this "Beto" "I lost to Ted Cruz" O'Rourke guy has managed to surpass Bernie's first-24-hours funding binge?

I mean, at least Bernie was in the presidential race before O'Rourke...
                                          He bent over backwards for the vaginas and non-saltine food coloreds.

Comment

Working...
                                          X