This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cid View Post

I mean, it's not my first choice of utensil, but I guess it gets the job done.
    I don't think it does tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

I don't think it does tbh.
      You just have to have an aide that can clean it for you. Then it works fine, apparently.

Comment

Hard to believe it's already been almost 4 years since Trump took office.
        Last edited by Darkseeker1379; February 25th, 2019, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseeker1379 View Post
          We still have a while before it finally ends though

Comment

Originally posted by Darkseeker1379 View Post
            I mean... Trump still has nearly two full years before his first term ends. Got to remember that, even though the elections happen next year that it's in November next year. In the event Trump loses the 2020 election, he won't be replaced until January 20, 2021.

So we've still got 23(ish) months to go.

Comment

Bernie announcing his 2020 run, circa 2019, colorised:

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
                Bernie announcing his 2020 run, circa 2019, colorised:
                I think this is the worst meme you've posted in your entire life
                Armstrong is Trump if anything lol, not only because they're similar but because, like Raiden, Bernie's attempts will prove futile in the election lol
                Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

Reparations for the families of former slaves has apparently been a topic recently.

Bernie Sanders gave a comment on it, saying that he didn't think trying to give families of former slaves a big check was the right approach and that instead he believed getting them free healthcare and affordable education would benefit them much more than a one-time payment.

This apparently drew some criticism from other democrats in the field. Julian Castro recently spoke against Sanders' comment, saying something along the lines of "if you're writing big checks for everything else then writing one for reparations shouldn't be an argument."

Comment

Bernie and Tulsi are the only names on that list that matter.
                    Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-1133-0048-8436 (MMCulpaTTV)
                    Don't forget to check out MothMageCulpa's Twitch Channel! - Join the Swarm today and Follow, subscribe, or donate!
                    PSN Username- NikolaCulpa Trophy Level: 25. Platinums: 71 - Check me out on Twitch to see what I'm currently playing!

Comment

Reparations for the families of former slaves has apparently been a topic recently.

Bernie Sanders gave a comment on it, saying that he didn't think trying to give families of former slaves a big check was the right approach and that instead he believed getting them free healthcare and affordable education would benefit them much more than a one-time payment.

This apparently drew some criticism from other democrats in the field. Julian Castro recently spoke against Sanders' comment, saying something along the lines of "if you're writing big checks for everything else then writing one for reparations shouldn't be an argument."
                      Reparations are a bad idea, honestly. Especially for slavery.

We're far too removed from slavery to be giving out reparations now, and we'd also probably have to deal with a whole lot of other people who could bring out equal claims to free money, but who won't get such a thing.

Honestly, I think Bernie should avoid covering race topics in general. They're really just a total mess and it probably won't help him all that much. He should focus on what he's really good at, which is economic stuff and health care and housing and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

Reparations are a bad idea, honestly. Especially for slavery.

We're far too removed from slavery to be giving out reparations now, and we'd also probably have to deal with a whole lot of other people who could bring out equal claims to free money, but who won't get such a thing.

Honestly, I think Bernie should avoid covering race topics in general. They're really just a total mess and it probably won't help him all that much. He should focus on what he's really good at, which is economic stuff and health care and housing and whatnot.
                        The argument usually extends passed slavery and into injustices afterwards. Things that people alive today definitely experienced. That said I think he's right that reparations are not going to be as effective as education and healthcare.

But "That was a long time ago" is a weird argument, honestly. And I think it misses the crux of their argument even if I don't agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Culpa the Moth Mage View Post
                          Bernie and Tulsi are the only names on that list that matter.
                          Bernie's looking like a 2020 top tier for sure.

Still early enough that the numbers can change drastically and the state-of-play can look very different once the primary voting starts.

But Warren, Biden, and Harris seem to be his only real competition atm, in a field otherwise overcrowded with candidates that have little-to-nothing in the way of a national following.

Comment

Worth noting at this point out in primary season polling: Hillary (2008), Howard Dean, Rudy Giuliani, and Scott Walker were all presumed frontrunners for their respective party nominations.

Take those early polls with a grain of salt.

The field doesn't really solidify until after Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina

Comment

I really kind of hope that Biden doesn't run. I don't really want to see a repeat of 2016 where a hardcore moderate democrat pulls a majority of the base and absolutely ruins the progressive platform that Bernie, Harris, and Warren have been championing.

Comment

I really kind of hope that Biden doesn't run. I don't really want to see a repeat of 2016 where a hardcore moderate democrat pulls a majority of the base and absolutely ruins the progressive platform that Bernie, Harris, and Warren have been championing.
                                On the other hand, we do need the moderate corporatecrats to get a big loss in one of these things. Bernie beating Biden in the primary would be a nice W.

Comment

Originally posted by Chibz View Post

On the other hand, we do need the moderate corporatecrats to get a big loss in one of these things. Bernie beating Biden in the primary would be a nice W.
                                  That would be great. But Biden has name recognition and, potentially, Obama's endorsement. That latter part will probably help him tremendously with minority voters, an area that Bernie still struggles with. The last thing we need is a contested convention where the superdelegates get to decide who the president is. Because there's still no way they're gonna choose Bernie.

Comment

That would be great. But Biden has name recognition and, potentially, Obama's endorsement. That latter part will probably help him tremendously with minority voters, an area that Bernie still struggles with. The last thing we need is a contested convention where the superdelegates get to decide who the president is. Because there's still no way they're gonna choose Bernie.
                                    I think the primary is going to eventually narrow down to a 1-v-1 between an institutionalist dem and a progressive reformer regardless. (Again--early--but its presently looking like the big showdown is going to be Biden v. Bernie)

...Although I can honestly see a scenario where Biden turns out to be the Jeb Bush of this election cycle...

i.e. he gets in

Hes the presumed "frontrunner."
                                    The political lane all the experts and pundits thought was going to be open to him just isn't there.
                                    He bails out after a string of embarrassing 5th and 6th place finishes in states he was expected to win, polling at ~3%

It could happen.

Watch the African American vote. They're marginal in the electoral math of general elections, but in Democratic Primaries they're kingmakers.

Looking back at 2016--taking a step back from the DNC rigged the primaries for Hillary mantra and looking at the actual voter demographics + mathematical breakdowns of why Bernie didn't quite get there--an objective assessment has to conclude Bernie suffered from lack of support from African Americans.

Hillary had their backing. Hillary ran the table + stacked up an insurmountable lead in the delegate count in the Southern States where African American voters form the majority of the Democratic base. That was her ace-in-the-hole. (conversely, when she ran against Obama in 2008, she got her clock cleaned because those same voters preferred Obama)

I don't know what was up with the African American aversion to Sanders in 2016.

Maybe they didn't know who he was or what he was about, and there was some initial skepticism of the old Jewish guy acting like he was down-with-the-struggle.

Maybe it was 90s nostalgia and Bill Clinton's residual street cred

Maybe Bernie was just a bit too one-note with his focus on the economic populism portion of his agenda, and was politically negligent in failing to speak more about his positions on criminal justice reform and civil rights and BLM issues.

..IDK...

But I'm getting the sense this time around that African Americans are a bit more "woke" on Bernie Sanders. He's a familiar face now. Everyone knows his platform. Its sorta become common knowledge that on every issue of importance to them, hes been consistently on their side and ahead-of-his-time since the 1960s.

...I don't think they're gonna sleep on him again...
                                    Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; March 12th, 2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

That latter part will probably help him tremendously with minority voters, an area that Bernie still struggles with.

I've never understood why endorsements from any particular person towards another has managed to sway voters for that particular person, in any case where I've seen it.

Why do you need some guy's endorsement? Shouldn't the actual person's merits determine your vote? Lol.

Comment

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...,%2Fm%2F01qh39

Just taking a look at Google Search Trends and comparing the four perceived frontrunners, Sanders, Biden, Harris, and Warren.

From the look over the last seven days (an attempt to cut out announcements, which inflates the results) the two frontrunners are definitely Biden and Sanders. Bernie actually seems to edge Joe out in most states. In the states Joe wins out, he typically only edges Bernie out by a couple points. This might change after Biden actually announces, though. But I think I'm gonna keep checking on this. Search interest might be a fairly decent metric to measure by.

Frightening enough, if you put Trump's name into it... He blows everyone out of the water in every single state.

Comment

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...,%2Fm%2F01qh39

Just taking a look at Google Search Trends and comparing the four perceived frontrunners, Sanders, Biden, Harris, and Warren.

From the look over the last seven days (an attempt to cut out announcements, which inflates the results) the two frontrunners are definitely Biden and Sanders. Bernie actually seems to edge Joe out in most states. In the states Joe wins out, he typically only edges Bernie out by a couple points. This might change after Biden actually announces, though. But I think I'm gonna keep checking on this. Search interest might be a fairly decent metric to measure by.

Frightening enough, if you put Trump's name into it... He blows everyone out of the water in every single state.
                                          that's the problem with search metrics though. You don't know if the person looking them up is for or against them. I promise you that a great many "journalists" google Trump every fucking day to make some contrived article about what pants he wore that day.

And to clarify, I'm not saying Trump isn't a bad president. He has fucked up every good thing he had going for him in his first year and pulled a con job on all his decent policy proposals (TPP and such). I just hate seeing how many god damned shallow hit pieces attack his character rather than his disastrous policy actions. It's lazy journalism and pisses me off.

Comment

Working...
                                          X