Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State of Global Politics in 2019 (i.e. "Democracy in Retreat")

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    I mean, can this "paper" be any more bias?


    "The fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the Soviet Union’s collapse in 1991 cleared the way for the formation or restoration of liberal democratic institutions not only in Eastern Europe, but also in the Americas, sub-Saharan Africa, and Asia. "

    The world all of a sudden decided to become this great thing that is not working too well right now and people are rejecting it for no reason. Don't they like being told how they should live? Don't they love capitalism that has created wealth inequality all around the world?

    This great thing called Democracy just falls on them, like a ton of explosives and coups and yet they reject it. Ungrateful.


    "With the post–Cold War transition period now over, another shift in the global order is challenging long-standing democracies, from within and without. A crisis of confidence in these societies has intensified, with many citizens expressing doubts that democracy still serves their interests. Of the 41 countries that were consistently ranked Free from 1985 to 2005, 22 have registered net score declines in the last five years.

    The crisis is linked to a changing balance of power at the global level. The share of international power held by highly industrialized democracies is dwindling as the clout of China, India, and other newly industrialized economies increases. China’s rise is the most stunning, with GDP per capita increasing by 16 times from 1990 to 2017. The shift has been driven by a new phase of globalization that unlocked enormous wealth around the world. The distribution of benefits has been highly uneven, however, with most accruing to either the wealthiest on a global scale or to workers in industrializing countries. Low- and medium-skilled workers in long-industrialized democracies have gained relatively little from the expansion, as stable, well-paying jobs have been lost to a combination of foreign competition and technological change."

    USA is no longer the predominant power, not good. How are those savages going to manage themselves without our way of doing things. Just look at the progress China has made with the rejection of globalization and democracy. They'll spoil the great things we've worked so hard to make like Global Warming and a potential nuclear war.

    Please.

    Comment


      #22
      83...

      Is China your model for what a society should be...? Lol.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
        83...

        Is China your model for what a society should be...? Lol.
        Pretty close. They are one of the most successful civilizations in history and are still going strong. So culturally they must be doing something good.
        Last edited by #83.6666666667; February 8th, 2019, 02:11 AM.

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

          Pretty close. They are one of the most successful civilizations in history and are still going strong.
          ...

          What are their flaws, in your opinion, out of curiosity...?

          Current China, obviously.

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

            ...

            What are their flaws, in your opinion, out of curiosity...?

            Current China, obviously.
            Not an expert in China, but I'd say their lack of "freedom". Some things I see why they do them. Like blocking certain internet sites. You don't want the USA to do what Russia did to the USA if you're a leader of China. In a way China needs a strong control of its country if it wants to grow and develop, obviously this growth comes with pains.

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post
              Not an expert in China, but I'd say their lack of "freedom".
              Well, good you noticed that.

              Although the quotation marks seem odd.

              Let's see...

              Social credit scores (these totally won't be abused), "re-education camps" (this is not the Commie variant, it's sole purpose is to turn the Uighers into brainwashed China-loving fanatics...with the same excuses we use for a lot of our wars, actually), aggression against Tibet and attempted destruction of "unwanted" cultural elements within it, possibly organ harvesting of Falun Gong dissidents (and other abuses towards the "evil cultists," Gunboat denies the organ harvesting in particular because "China would never do that," but if we freedom-loving 'Muricans owned people as property in the past, I don't think I have much faith in such assertions on his part), stuff like the Tiananmen Square Massacre (and the cover-up), forced abortions if you have too many kids (it'll only lessen, they still have a limit...2 kids), disappearances for certain problematic folk with some conveniently timed confessions coming out later, and the rampant digital totalitarianism that you mentioned (think of stuff in America...China has its own versions, but with the small price of intense government surveillance through stuff like WeChat), etc.

              Probably more that I missed...but you get the gist.

              I don't know about you, but can't, like...South Korea or Japan be your ideal society if you're gonna pick an Asian country? Lol.

              They have like maybe 1% of all that stuff if not less...and the solid economy to back it up, with good status in terms of their advanced development, good discipline, great work ethic, massive emphasis on education, etc. Basically two Chinas, but better, lol.

              Oh, and they came out that way after the US bombed the shit out of their infrastructure and stuff, so that's basically the same rebound the Chinese had after Mao's debauchery.

              Maybe the US helped 'em a bit economically, IDK, but as far as I'm concerned, that's still mostly their own achievements even in such a case.
              Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; February 8th, 2019, 02:40 AM.

              Comment


                #27
                Like to point out that (since were in the topic) historically Democracies have been relatively simple to manipulate by just paying off a few key people. This is what the Persian Empire did to the Greek City States, they made them weak by causing chaos. Just like were seeing in the USA today. A few Greek politicians were paid to do what the Persians wanted and the Greeks fought amount themselves and Persia didn't have to worry about them.

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

                  Well, good you noticed that.

                  Although the quotation marks seem odd.

                  Let's see...

                  Social credit scores (these totally won't be abused), "re-education camps" (this is not the Commie variant, it's sole purpose is to turn the Uighers into brainwashed China-loving fanatics...with the same excuses we use for a lot of our wars, actually), aggression against Tibet and attempted destruction of "unwanted" cultural elements within it, possibly organ harvesting of Falun Gong dissidents (and other abuses towards the "evil cultists," Gunboat denies the organ harvesting in particular because "China would never do that," but if we freedom-loving 'Muricans owned people as property in the past, I don't think I have much faith in such assertions on his part), stuff like the Tiananmen Square Massacre (and the cover-up), forced abortions if you have too many kids (it'll only lessen, they still have a limit...2 kids), disappearances for certain problematic folk with some conveniently timed confessions coming out later, and the rampant digital totalitarianism that you mentioned (think of stuff in America...China has its own versions, but with the small price of intense government surveillance through stuff like WeChat), etc.

                  Probably more that I missed...but you get the gist.

                  I don't know about you, but can't, like...South Korea or Japan be your ideal society if you're gonna pick an Asian country? Lol.

                  They have like maybe 1% of all that stuff if not less...and the solid economy to back it up, with good status in terms of their advanced development.

                  Oh, and they came out that way after the US bombed the shit out of their infrastructure and stuff, so that's basically the same rebound the Chinese had after Mao's debauchery.
                  All but the Tibet, Thailand, and the China Sea thing seem like internal affair problems, which I don't really care about. I do disagree with them trying to mold everyone into the same person, but that's their issue. If it turns bad they might try to correct it. China it seems is looking for solutions for hard issues. Like over population. It didn't work and they know that now and are correcting the problem, which gives a good sign that they aren't stubborn till their deaths.

                  As far as the organ harvesting thing, I have no idea what you're talking about.


                  Because China has potential. Right now China seems like what they are, a developing nation. This is not necessarily what they will always be. If you take a look their history, you see that they have always been helping develop the world. Probably more than any other county prior to the rediscovery of the Americas. I really believe China will unlock new technology that will change our world l, hopefully for the better.

                  It had little to do with getting bombed. Its their attitude and the decision they take as independent people. Some other countries have also been bombed by the USA and are worse off. I really hope you don't go on believing that you can help a country by bombing them.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

                    internal affair problems, which I don't really care about.
                    If you're creating an ideal model off of a current country, you should care about its internal affair problems, especially since the ones commandeering those problems are part of the society (and more specifically, part of the society governing the rest of it) which you find ideal. You need to weigh every option, and if other countries have the same attributes you admire in one, but with less (or possibly none) of the flaws, then why not switch around which country you find relatively ideal? Unless you don't think the government factors into whether the society is ideal or not (and I'm pretty sure that's not what you think).

                    Even if we assume that it has less of the problems I'm mentioning (although not wiping away all of them, since a lot of them they're not really improving on)...there are still countries like Japan and SK. They have the same rebound story, same economic development, and none of the same deliberate authoritarianism issues, so why China? Is it because they don't like the free market as much as other countries? Because that's only so much of a saving grace, TBQH.

                    (And no, I didn't imply that anyone getting bombed was good; the opposite, as in, despite taking a societal fracturing, they still rebounded because of their own grit, like the Chinese, without winding up with the same problems).

                    And since you like wikipedia...

                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_...oners_in_China

                    Just read this.

                    Not necessarily now, tho.
                    Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; February 8th, 2019, 02:58 AM.

                    Comment


                      #30
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>arguing against the concept of democracy because your views are unpopular and are going to lose if taken at their face

                      ...The Edge...

                      Comment


                        #31
                        Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>arguing against the concept of democracy because your views are unpopular and are going to lose if taken at their face

                        ...The Edge...
                        Literally nobody under the age of 30 cares about democracy anymore, gramps
                        Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                        Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                        Comment


                          #32
                          Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                          Literally nobody under the age of 30 cares about democracy anymore, gramps
                          bitch I'm 29

                          Comment


                            #33
                            Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

                            bitch I'm 29
                            just one year until you're just a bitter old man, better savour it
                            Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                            Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                            Comment


                              #34
                              #Trump2020 tbh
                              Originally posted by Snap
                              "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

                              Comment


                                #35
                                Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                                Literally nobody under the age of 30 cares about democracy anymore, gramps
                                I'm 25....

                                Comment


                                  #36
                                  Originally posted by J peth View Post

                                  I'm 25....
                                  25 year olds are the new 30 year olds, all boomer millennials

                                  Nobody in Gen Z cares about democracy anymore gramps
                                  Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                                  Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                                  Comment


                                    #37
                                    Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                                    25 year olds are the new 30 year olds, all boomer millennials

                                    Nobody in Gen Z cares about democracy anymore gramps
                                    Part of the reason why we millennials don't plan on passing any power to Gen Z. We're going to skip over them entirely.

                                    Comment


                                      #38
                                      Originally posted by Cid View Post

                                      Part of the reason why we millennials don't plan on passing any power to Gen Z. We're going to skip over them entirely.
                                      worked well the last time they tried to do that

                                      Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                                      Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                                      Comment


                                        #39
                                        Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                                        worked well the last time they tried to do that

                                        It certainly did.

                                        Comment


                                          #40
                                          Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

                                          If you're creating an ideal model off of a current country, you should care about its internal affair problems, especially since the ones commandeering those problems are part of the society (and more specifically, part of the society governing the rest of it) which you find ideal. You need to weigh every option, and if other countries have the same attributes you admire in one, but with less (or possibly none) of the flaws, then why not switch around which country you find relatively ideal? Unless you don't think the government factors into whether the society is ideal or not (and I'm pretty sure that's not what you think).

                                          Even if we assume that it has less of the problems I'm mentioning (although not wiping away all of them, since a lot of them they're not really improving on)...there are still countries like Japan and SK. They have the same rebound story, same economic development, and none of the same deliberate authoritarianism issues, so why China? Is it because they don't like the free market as much as other countries? Because that's only so much of a saving grace, TBQH.

                                          (And no, I didn't imply that anyone getting bombed was good; the opposite, as in, despite taking a societal fracturing, they still rebounded because of their own grit, like the Chinese, without winding up with the same problems).

                                          And since you like wikipedia...

                                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_...oners_in_China

                                          Just read this.

                                          Not necessarily now, tho.
                                          I don't find the current China as a model. They're still a developing country with problems you'd expect to see in a developing nation. Do you understand how hard it is to get backwards country like China was a century or so ago to what it is now? With it's huge population living in poverty. It's not easy at all. The amount of order required to move all the gears is impressive.

                                          That's what I mean by their society/culture is a model to follow. Some countries make great sacrifices to get out of their shit situation yet can't, others sacrifice their country for personal wealth and don't give a fuck about the rest of the population.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X