A Treatise on Saving Our Nation's Government

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Because it has a standard value, you fucking idiot.

That $100 bill or coin is worth $100 because our government says it is. It is NOT worth $100 when you take it to Canada. In fact, it's practically worthless in Canada because their government doesn't use our money. You have to have it converted into Canadian dollars, and even then the value changes pending on the current strength of the US and Canadian dollars.

Precious metals DO NOT have a standard value. Their value is completely dependent on the market. That's why global prices fluctuate day-to-day based on supply and demand. The United States government DOES NOT have the power or authority to set the price of gold, silver, or any other precious metal. That is why it is PROVEN ECONOMICS that when supply increases substantially, demand decreases and the price goes down.

This isn't an opinion. THIS IS ECONOMIC FACT that has been proven time and time again.

You're literally telling us that what has always happened in the past will not happen again. Why? Because you're a fucking idiot that doesn't know what he's talking about. Everything you say is bullshit. Everything you say.
    You're an idiot, Cid.

If paper money doesn't lose its value, then neither does a coin made by the same government.

You're too full of yourself to admit when you are dead wrong.

The wealthy Chinese and the wealthy Russians still invest in our Government, which means they think our currency and our government are strong.

Of course there are currency exchanges, and the dollar has remained strong in all currency exchanges. The value fluctuates from day to day, but over all the Dollar has remained strong throughout the years.

Comment

1 dollar is currently worth 19 pesos.
      This is actually 2x stronger than 20 years ago, when a dollar was worth 10 pesos.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

Why is $100 bill still worth $100? It's value has only dropped by half in the past 20 years, even though we mint an almost limitless supply of them?

A $100 dollar coin never has to be removed from circulation due to usage, so its inherent value stays the same long than a fiat bill.
        $100 is $100 because it's $100. Are you seriously questioning why a $100 bill is worth 100 $1 coins?
        Stop quotign Economics 101, you don't understand it, and even if you did, the people who wrote that book are the ones who failed to predict the 2008 stock bubble.
        I didn't quote Economics 101, that was your plan, lol
        . If it sounds like a stupid idea, that's because it is.

Comment

Holy fuck, you are literally the dumbest person I've ever met.

Comment

In case you didn't know, minimum wage laws establish the value of currency. the Government says an hour of labor is worth x number of dollars, and this is based on reciprocity with the "cost of living". Thus a dollar never loses its value unless the minimum wage is increased.

Comment

In case you didn't know, minimum wage laws establish the value of currency. the Government says an hour of labor is worth x number of dollars, and this is based on reciprocity with the "cost of living". Thus a dollar never loses its value unless the minimum wage is increased.
              THEN I GUESS MONEY WAS JUST FUCKING WORTHLESS BEFORE FDR INTRODUCED MINIMUM WAGE IN 1933

Comment

No, the value of the dollar relative to other currencies is based on the amount of dollars compared to the strength of the country's GDP, not just based on our labor force. If we had double the amount of money we have now, the dollar would be half as strong as it is now, and them the opposite is true.

Comment

Here is how economics work in Wade's fantasy world.

World - "Holy fuck! Look at this shiny rock! It sure is pretty. And rare! I think it's worth something!"

US - "Holy fuck! We just got a shitload of that shiny rock from space. We're gonna sell it at the exact same price!"

World - "Holy fuck! I'm losing money because you introduced a huge supply and stole half my business, but that's ok! I don't care."

And everyone lived happily ever after. Even though gold became much more abundant and was being used in every simple electronic device, the value didn't decrease at all. Everybody was now able to buy a $300 cell phone, strip the gold out, and sell it for $1000.

Everybody got rich.

The end.
                  Last edited by Cid; February 8th, 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

I'm actually confused

...no shit...

Comment

See, I would legalize Cocaine, Heroin, etc. both for medical purposes and recreational purposes.

Comment

And these companies that deal with "sugary and Starchy" Food are gonna just roll over and let it happen while they lose profit? You don't suppose they'll tell their "lobbyists" to deny such acts
                        I do like that Fat Tax, although that'll just be waived off as discrimination
                        Last edited by Nerise; February 8th, 2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerise View Post
                          And these companies that deal with "sugary and Starchy" Food are gonna just roll over and let it happen while they lose profit? You don't suppose they'll tell their "lobbyists" to deny such acts
                          I do like that Fat Tax, although that'll just be waived off as discrimination
                          A tax on sugary drinks already got passed in a couple states. I'd just want the Federal Government to tax it the same way some of the states are taxing it. Just tax all sugar sold on the markets at $1 per pound. Tax High Fructose Corn Syrup at $1 per pound. Viola, sugary drinks get priced out of people's range to buy, and all those jellies your mom makes are no longer economical...

People in the U.S. consume twice as much sugar and three times as much total carbs as they did a generation ago.

Comment

Lol.

I got called a "Fascist" on Jeff Masters' site because I said fat people, including myself, should pay a $500 penalty on their tax return...

Comment

I'm shocked that another site tolerates you.

Comment

Why? It's not even relevant to the conversation. NASA uses "zero gravity" flights to test performance of their technology in simulated microgravity. The actual tests and research occurs aboard the International Space Station, where there is constant microgravity.

Sure... As I said, nothing organic grows in those extreme temperatures. We already knew that, though. The temperature swings (hopefully) weren't part of the experiment. The experiment was growing seeds in an environment with reduced gravity. Which, as I've pointed out, NASA has been doing for decades.

Literally none of that matters? Why is this such a point of contention with you? It's like you're arguing just because you desperately want China to be ahead of the US in space development. lmao.

China sent a biome to the moon. Ok. The entire point was to see how those seeds grew in the moon's 1/6th gravity. They didn't use lunar soil, they didn't siphon moisture from ice deposits on the lunar surface, and they didn't try to regulate the dome's atmospheric pressure to reflect the moon's pressure to see if it would have any affect on the plant's growth. The only thing they were doing was testing how it grew in the reduced gravity.

Why is that so much bigger of an accomplishment than successfully growing edible crops in zero gravity conditions? lol

Your argument here is silly. Quit being silly.

I'm not even trying to be big-headed or rude here.

But it's pretty laughable that anyone on this website thinks they can match me in any kind of discussion on any aspect of space exploration. This stuff has been a passion of mine for almost two decades. I've taken multiple astronomy courses. I've followed prominent astronomers, astrophysicists, astrobiologists, and other scientists for over a decade. I've probably read more material on the various aspects of space exploration in the last 30 days than Wade or #83 have through their entire lives. My electronics teacher has worked with NASA for 15 years on various research projects and is well-versed in astronomy and the history of space exploration, yet she came to me for fact-checking.

I'm just saying, give up you two.
                                Exactly what I thought, yet you brought it up first.

Really? Decades. Where did you get that from?

I'm not trying to desperately make it seem like they're ahead of us, US news sources are the ones saying that it is a big accomplishment and that China could surpass us in space. Literally google US vs China space race or anything like that and the articles don't say "China has no chance of surpassing us in space, hahaha". They actually say that China is making big strides in space and are doing impressive stuff. The US has actually (a week ago I think) said they want to put people on the moon by 2028, just two years ahead of what the Chinese had already said they wanted as a date. If this is not the US acknowledging the Chinese ambition and capability then we might then refer to your expert opinion as NASA's head scientist.

What does that have to do with anything were talking about? Are you honestly trying to brag about not knowing that China will soon surpass the US in space exploration? I really am confused with most of your statements.

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

...no shit...
                                Cid actually said he worded it bad. Did you not read that? Or are you just going to stock my posts until I slip up, again instead of reading the entire posts?

Comment

Exactly what I thought, yet you brought it up first.
                                  Purely as a lead in to say that NASA has already been there and done that.

Really? Decades. Where did you get that from?
                                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plants...ce_station_era

We've been growing stuff in Space since the 90s mate.

I'm not trying to desperately make it seem like they're ahead of us, US news sources are the ones saying that it is a big accomplishment and that China could surpass us in space. Literally google US vs China space race or anything like that and the articles don't say "China has no chance of surpassing us in space, hahaha". They actually say that China is making big strides in space and are doing impressive stuff. The US has actually (a week ago I think) said they want to put people on the moon by 2028, just two years ahead of what the Chinese had already said they wanted as a date. If this is not the US acknowledging the Chinese ambition and capability then we might then refer to your expert opinion as NASA's head scientist.
                                  We landed on the moon in 1969 homie. lol. In fact, we landed on the moon six times over a span of three years. You know why we never went back to the moon? Because there wasn't much reason to. There still isn't much reason to. NASA administrators were pretty resistant to the idea of going back to the moon for that very reason. It's the republicans that keep getting the presidency and turning NASA's attention away from Mars.

What does that have to do with anything were talking about? Are you honestly trying to brag about not knowing that China will soon surpass the US in space exploration? I really am confused with most of your statements.
                                  I mean... You're sitting here bragging about China doing things we've been doing for decades. lol

Comment

Purely as a lead in to say that NASA has already been there and done that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plants...ce_station_era

We've been growing stuff in Space since the 90s mate.

We landed on the moon in 1969 homie. lol. In fact, we landed on the moon six times over a span of three years. You know why we never went back to the moon? Because there wasn't much reason to. There still isn't much reason to. NASA administrators were pretty resistant to the idea of going back to the moon for that very reason. It's the republicans that keep getting the presidency and turning NASA's attention away from Mars.

I mean... You're sitting here bragging about China doing things we've been doing for decades. lol
                                    Which was irrelevant to the conversation but essential to your ego.

Wait now....Mir was ours? It was owned by NASA or the US government?????? Cid, I think all those books you've read are doing you more harm than good.

I'm aware of that, but we haven't sent anyone recently. There's no reason to go to the moon, yet China and the USA are racing to get there. They must simply be retarded. Republicans are turning NASA's attention away from Mars????? Even if that is true, wouldn't that just mean that the US isn't providing NASA with the budget they need? And as far as I know, NASA is still eyeing Mars but with private companies that will foot a part of the bill....

Right, on our Mir space station, right?

Comment

Which was irrelevant to the conversation but essential to your ego.
                                      Well... It was relevant to the conversation. You didn't even know that NASA has been studying and growing plants in space for decades.

Wait now....Mir was ours? It was owned by NASA or the US government?????? Cid, I think all those books you've read are doing you more harm than good.
                                      What? The ISS was launched in 1997 (I think, it may have been 1998)

I'm aware of that, but we haven't sent anyone recently. There's no reason to go to the moon, yet China and the USA are racing to get there. They must simply be retarded. Republicans are turning NASA's attention away from Mars????? Even if that is true, wouldn't that just mean that the US isn't providing NASA with the budget they need? And as far as I know, NASA is still eyeing Mars but with private companies that will foot a part of the bill....
                                      Yes, NASA is still eyeing Mars, but Trump's demands to return to the Moon is diverting some of that funding and pushing the mission back. You didn't know that new Presidents set major policy for NASA?

NASA was eyeing Mars at the end of Clinton's last term but Bush came in and said they were going back to the moon. Then Obama came in and set the sights back on Mars. And now Trump had changed it to the moon again.

First it was Mars by 2016, then focus was shifted for the moon by 2020, then back to Mars by 2024, and now we're back to the moon in 2028. Guess what happens when a democrat wins office in 2020?

Right, on our Mir space station, right?
                                      Ironically, NASA actually helped build Mir by attaching a section with the space shuttle. Lol

Comment

Well... It was relevant to the conversation. You didn't even know that NASA has been studying and growing plants in space for decades.

What? The ISS was launched in 1997 (I think, it may have been 1998)

Yes, NASA is still eyeing Mars, but Trump's demands to return to the Moon is diverting some of that funding and pushing the mission back. You didn't know that new Presidents set major policy for NASA?

NASA was eyeing Mars at the end of Clinton's last term but Bush came in and said they were going back to the moon. Then Obama came in and set the sights back on Mars. And now Trump had changed it to the moon again.

First it was Mars by 2016, then focus was shifted for the moon by 2020, then back to Mars by 2024, and now we're back to the moon in 2028. Guess what happens when a democrat wins office in 2020?

Ironically, NASA actually helped build Mir by attaching a section with the space shuttle. Lol
                                        No it wasn't. All I needed to know was that you worked on a system for NASA that would eventually go to the ISS so they could grow plants on it.

"The International Space Station (ISS) is a multi-nation construction project that is the largest single structure humans ever put into space. Its main construction was completed between 1998 and 2011" https://www.space.com/16748-internat...e-station.html
                                        I can't find any info on when they started growing plants on the ISS, was it in 1998 or 2011? Should be easy for you to find and cite.

And the Chinese actually have set goals and dates. I can't guess on what is uncertainty.

But it's not NASAs or the USA's. ISS was helped build by several countries too.

Comment

Just to put the final nails in this coffin.

NASA actually did want to do the same thing as China but did not because no one won a competition in which Google was going to send the container to the moon, lol.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/cc...nar_plant.html
                                          The goals set out for this project were:
                                          "Science background Plant growth at Earth gravity has been well studied and there has been a lot of research on plant growth in microgravity on Shuttle and Space Station. Recently, ISS payloads have been able to simulate partial gravity (eg. Kiss et al. 2012, Planta 236, 635-645.). The surface of the Moon however is the only location in which the effects of both lunar gravity and lunar radiation on plant growth can be studied. Eventually human exploration of the Moon will require plant growth systems for life support. Germination is the first step in plant growth and thus forms the focus of this first experiment. We will also look for phototropism and circumnutation. The basic data from the experiment would be the growth rate, expressed as leaf area, over time. This would be extracted from images of the plant growth area. In addition image data would be collected to investigate both phototropism (plant motion in response to changes in position of the light source) and circumnutation (plant circular motion). The growth and movement of the plants on the Moon would be compared to similar data from Earth controls in identical growth units."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/31/1...ess-astrobotic

"Today was the official deadline for the now-defunct Google Lunar X Prize competition — an international contest to send the first private spacecraft to the Moon. There is no winner; no one got to the Moon in time. But many of the teams that competed in the Google Lunar X Prize say they are still forging ahead, even without the promise of millions of dollars in prize money."

And apparently to Cid this is no big deal, when even years ago it was held as being as iconic as the first step on the moon, lol.

"“The first picture of a plant growing on another world – that picture will live forever. It will be as iconic as the first footprint on the moon.”" by Pete Worden, director of NASA’s Ames Research Center

That's right, a director of NASA said growing a plant in the moon would be impressive and a historic moment in space exploration, yet the man that claims to know more about space anything is telling us that it's not impressive at all and a waste.
                                          http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-.../#.XGOZTVxKjZs

Even more:
                                          https://www.wired.co.uk/article/chin...ts-on-the-moon

"the seeds sprouting is still a major milestone towards future space exploration and possibly establishing a lunar base as a pit stop en route to other planets."

How is it, that some schmuck on the internet, just by reading one article about space knew more than the big brain hot shot space man Cid? The world might never know. I advice more reading, less posturing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X