Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Treatise on Saving Our Nation's Government

So the Federal Government is Bankrupt.

In order to pay off the Debt and permanently balance the Federal Budget, we need several changes.

1) A new Tax Bracket for the $500k per year and greater people. Essentially the top 1%. These people should pay about 10% higher income taxes than they currently pay.

Presently, 80% of the nation's income is controlled by the top 10% of earners, and 90% of the nation's accumulated wealth is controlled by the top 10%. If we took 10% of their wealth, and redistributed it to the other 90%, the people at the 50th percentile and below would double their living standard, while this would barely phase the people in the top 10%...

2a) A Value Added Tax on all non-medical goods*, starting at 3% and phasing in by 1% per year until 10% is reached. For people below 50th percentile of income, this would be re-imbursed on the Federal Income Tax Return as a "Refundable Tax Credit," which phases out after 50th percentile earnings. The proceeds from this tax would be required, by constitutional amendment, to be spent on paying off the Federal Debt. With this Amendment and accompanying Bills, there would be a "Balanced Budget" clause requiring the Federal Budget to always be balanced or surplus, regardless of what is required to make that happen.

2b) *Except recreational Marijuana, which would be taxed at the rate of 100% for raw Marijuana. Marijuana extract products are taxed only 10% because they are specialized for treating certain rare illnesses' symptoms.

I would legalize all drugs, and just tax them very heavily, and also require a $500 dollar license to sell and a $500 license to buy, which would need to be renewed every year. This would lower the prison population, saving hundreds of millions of dollars, even billions of dollars to the economy. Non-violent offenders in prison for drug possession would be released on good behavior.

3) A "Sugars and Fats Tax" on certain sugary and starchy items, including sodas, but not limited to that. It would also include additional taxes on foods with "bad fats" vs "good fats and oils". No, Bacon and Eggs are not taxed, because they turn out to be surprisingly good for you. Anything that is bad for a Diabetic to eat would get taxed another 10% on top of the VAT tax mentioned above.

4) A literal "Fat Tax" on Obesity. Every year, you would "weigh in" and people with Body Mass Index 30 kg/m^2 or higher would pay a $500 tax, plus $100 for every 1 kg/m^2 above 30. Obese children's parents are taxed according to the same scale, so if an entire family of 4 or 5 is obese, this is a significant loss of income meant to correct bad habits.

Proceeds from these taxes would go to Medicaid and Medicare, as well as medical research and nano-technology research.

5) An initiative to spend more money on NASA space research, with a goal of mining Gold, Silver, Platinum, Uranium, and Thorium from Near Earth Objects and Asteroids ASAP. Also negotiating treaties with foreign powers to determine procedures for "right of claim" to asteroids and NEOs in space...presumably when placing a man on an Asteroid, it would be that nation's possession to mine from.

5b) Re-negotiate certain treaties with Russia, allowing the NERVA nuclear rocket program to continue, so we can further power space exploration. Imagine a space probe that can reach Pluto within a six months of flight time instead of 10 years?! Imagine a manned mission to Mars which requires only 30 days flight time, instead of two years!?

6) Carbon tax on Coal (especially,) Gasoline, and Diesel. No Carbon tax on Methane/Natural Gas, because it is burned as a backup fuel in Solar Power farms. This needs to be a moderately steep tax.

6b) The money from this would go to construction of new levees in vulnerable locations, as well as subsidizing Wind, Solar, and Nuclear power (especially Fusion).
    Last edited by Wade; February 4th, 2019, 08:54 AM.

Now more on point 5. Imagine if the Federal Government "eventually" made money via NASA mining Asteroids: Gold, Uranium, Thorium, ad Platinum are all massively profitable even at the costs of round trips of space flight. Now imagine if the government made money by harvesting these resources instead of by taxation! Imagine a world where government is fully fundable without taxes at all, ad that is what I see as possible sometime in the future from space m ining. But in the meantime, the other suggestions I made need to be in place until this becomes a reality.

Gold and Platinum can fetch a 56% profit even at the cost of $10,000 per pound to transport.

Thorium ad Uranium are actually worth even more on a per-pound basis.
    Last edited by Wade; February 4th, 2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Half of these wouldn't work. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
        Half of these wouldn't work. lol
        France and the EU are doing several of them, and they work better than doing nothing at all. Germany is about to totally wean itself off coal, which is actually amazing because a decade ago they were consuming enormous amounts of coal.

These ideas work, you just have to commit to them for 10 years at a time, instead of flip-flopping every election cycle.

Comment

Before the Bush Tax Cuts, we had two years with budget surpluses under Bill Clinton, and we had several years with only minor over-spending. The debt was around $6 trillion under Clinton. Under Bush the debt doubled to around 11 or 12 trillion, then because Obama didn't replace the Clinton era tax bracket, the debt grew another 6 trillion under Obama....even though inflation has only halved the value of the dollar since Clinton era, we tripled the Federal Debt...

This was all caused by the Bush tax cuts, which never should have been done. We don't need lower taxes on the sinfully wealthy; we need higher taxes on them.

Without the Bush tax cuts, the debt would have been manageable at about 10 trillion.

Pretty soon, the rest of the world is going to demand that the U.S. tighten it's belt and solve this problem. We owe trillions and trillions of dollars to investors in Russia and China, and we've cliamed capitalism worked all the time, which it did not: we rely on communist nations to fund our government.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

France and the EU are doing several of them, and they work better than doing nothing at all. Germany is about to totally wean itself off coal, which is actually amazing because a decade ago they were consuming enormous amounts of coal.

These ideas work, you just have to commit to them for 10 years at a time, instead of flip-flopping every election cycle.
            You're not going to get away with taxing marijuana at 100%. That's ridiculous and nobody is going to pay it, they'll just go back to buying it from dealers.

You're not going to get away with an expensive licence to purchase drugs either, again, people will just go back to buying them illegally.

You're not going to get away with fining fat people for being fat, especially when most poor people are fat because they're poor and can't afford healthier alternatives.

And mining asteroids won't work. You and I discussed this in length in another topic and I explained very clearly why it isn't feasible. Even if it WERE cost-effective to start a mining process, those precious minerals you want to mine are only valuable because they're rare. When you start introducing copious amounts of them into the economy, their value plummets.

Comment

You're not going to get away with taxing marijuana at 100%. That's ridiculous and nobody is going to pay it, they'll just go back to buying it from dealers.
              Wrong. Addicts pay for their poison when it is legal, no matter how expensive. Just look at the licenses to sell alcohol and cigarettes which are taxed about 300% right now...

You're not going to get away with an expensive licence to purchase drugs either, again, people will just go back to buying them illegally.
              Wrong. Nobody is selling illegal Cigarettes, even though legal ones are taxed several hundred percent.

You're not going to get away with fining fat people for being fat, especially when most poor people are fat because they're poor and can't afford healthier alternatives.
              I eat double meat hamburgers from fast food stores all the time, and I'm at the boundary of 30 BMI. You have to be TRYING to gain weight to get any bigger than I am. I don't exercise, and I eat whatever I want whenever I want, and I still don't gain any more weight, and I've been about the same weight for the past 6 years. People who are above 30BMI must literally be stuffing their faces non-stop all day long every day.

And mining asteroids won't work. You and I discussed this in length in another topic and I explained very clearly why it isn't feasible. Even if it WERE cost-effective to start a mining process, those precious minerals you want to mine are only valuable because they're rare. When you start introducing copious amounts of them into the economy, their value plummets.
              And I explained to you that isn't so. These metals will always be very valuable, because they are also known to have applications in electronics and nano-technology. Gold, Silver, and Platinum would actually be worth MORE if they were more common, because then they'd get used for something besides Jewelry more often.

Uranium and Thorium are always going to be worth a ton of money, because we are always going to rely on nuclear power; Not just the U.S., but developing nations will have a thirst for nuclear power, and if the U.S. is able to provide these materials to those nations with the demand, then we will make all the money necessary to balance the budget.

Comment

Cid why u arguing with a crazy person?

Comment

Here's what's wrong with the U.S., besides just government issues.

You get a degree which teaches you to save people's lives, and you earn peanuts.

You play a stick and ball game which requires no education, and "somebody" will make you a millionaire asap.

You invent a gossip engine, such as Twitter or Facebook, and you can become a multibillionaire over night.

You invent a vaccine, or some other thing that "saves the world" and nobody gives a damn and most people don't even remember your name 10 years later.

Comment

But you are wrong about the Gold ad Platinum.

The price would never drop below about $10,000 per pound, because that's the cheapest a chemical rocket can move materials around at. If the NERVA rocket were used, the price could drop to more like $1000 per pound, which would be great for medical nanotechnology, catalyst, adn other uses.

Comment

I know how to move things around in space for less than 10k per pound. Solar-Electric Ion engines can move stuff around, once it's already in space, for a few pennies on the dollar compared to chemical rockets. So that makes the profit margine larger, but you don't HAVE to lower the price you sell Gold and Platinum at, it just lowers the threshold at which it becomes profitable.

Solar Electric Ion Tractor is what you need, and it's already in development by NASA and ESA. Private rocket companies, such as Elon Musk, will be developing it too.

Comment

Yes, but that would imply the process of mining it didn't change. We'd be introducing space travel into the equation as well as new technology that lets us mine in an environment where gravity doesn't work in our favor, all of which costs billions just to launch an expedition for in order to even attempt it. It'd be more abundant, but the value would all be going into the cost for labor, equipment, and risk for failure. So if anything, it would probably be worth even more.

Not to mention they'd start marketing it as "space metal" which would raise the price even more just for the appeal.
                        Last edited by Thar; February 4th, 2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

See, we have a treaty with Russia that makes it difficult to legally deploy nuclear rockets, such as NERVA.

In the future, we may re-negotiate this treaty.

With NERVA and solar ion engines you can probably still be profitable at $1000 per pound. If you have nuclear powered ion engines, you might be able to cut it even lower than that, but the price is never going to get so low as to not be profitable, simply because rocketry of any kind is so expensive.

Comment

Also the benefits of industrializing space is not limited to these materials. There are other "rare earth" metals in asteroids, and those could be mined and refined as a "bonus". These metals are useful in all sorts of electronic devices too, and as the name implies, they are hard to find in the crust of the Earth.

Comment

I think someone's just afraid of the fat tax

Comment

Real Talk: you wanna tap into giant fuck-off untapped revenue stream and take a sledgehammer to the deficit???

Remove tax exempt status from religious institutions. Tax the land and the wealth of the Churches.

Side Benefit: Less "Religion."

Comment

Wait he's trying to put 100% tax on weed.
                                Fuck you

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post
                                  Real Talk: you wanna tap into giant fuck-off untapped revenue stream and take a sledgehammer to the deficit???

Remove tax exempt status from religious institutions. Tax the land and the wealth of the Churches.

Side Benefit: Less "Religion."

I agree with you, and Jesus said the same thing: "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and to God the things which are God's."

Jesus told the religious rulers to pay income tax and other taxes to Caesar.

The "Preachers" in the U.S. are all lying hypocrites. Even the "best" of them are lying hypocrites.

edit:

Yeah, thanks for reminding me of that one. I HAVE used it in talking points before in the past, but I somehow forgot it this time, but you are ABSOLUTELY correct. Every Church, Mosque, and Synagogue should pay taxes, and the "Church of Satan" should be forbidden to operate, as they are not a legitimate "religion" for obvious reasons..

Edit 2:
                                  Yes, God, as most "churches" teach Him, is a lie. What they teach people even in the "best" of churches is a lie. I agree with that.

Edit 3:
                                  Believe it or not, I've actually PRAYED several times that God would lift the exemptions on religion.
                                  Last edited by Wade; February 4th, 2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
                                    Wait he's trying to put 100% tax on weed.
                                    Fuck you
                                    Medical Marijuana extracts would actually be subsidized in my plan.

Raw Marijuana would be taxed, except when used for medical extracts.

We could start with a small tax and build from there as appropriate.

Keep in mind, illegal dealers and people getting in auto accidents or fights while stoned would still be fined and jailed as appropriate, but in my plan MOST of the prison population related to drugs would be set free, provided they are only non-violent offenders. This would be an enormous boon to the economy over the long term.

The tax on recreational marijuana would be used to subsidize medical extracts and research into further medicines of other types as well.

Freeing non-violent offenders from prison has about a $90k per year benefit to the economy on average. It costs around $45k per year to keep an inmate in Federal Prison, ad the average income of a citizen is around $45k. So you can see instead of beign a 45k drain on the economy, a freed prisoner is a 45k boon to the economy, paying about 6k in taxes too, for a 90k swing per person. This is almost incomprehensible how big of a difference this is across the nation.
                                    Last edited by Wade; February 4th, 2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

See, I would legalize Cocaine, Heroin, etc. both for medical purposes and recreational purposes.

The Legal, licensed drug is safer than the street drug, therefore street drugs would mostly disappear, because even "recreational" users are going to want the "safe" product instead of the risky street drug....same reasoning with alcohol and tobacco, most people don't drink moonshine (illegal alcohol,) and most people don't roll their own cigarettes; They buy them from "safe" vendors.

Comment

Working...
                                      X