Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So working US Congress sucks ass!

--Congress has been reducing staff--

"In the last 25 years, the Government Accountability Office has shed 2,000 employees. The Congressional Research Service is down 100. The Office of Technology Assessment and its 150 experts were entirely eliminated in 1995 — two years after the invention of the World Wide Web. House congressional committees have shed around 700 staff over the same period of time, while the House overall has seen a slight decline in staff. This underfunding has also left Congress to deal with an antiquated technology system and no team of experts to update and innovate. This capacity decline occurred as the U.S. population rose by 80 million.

--Congress pays current staffers less than expected--

Staff pay has stagnated over the same period — and in recent years has even fallen. From 2009 to 2013, the median pay for House counsels dropped 20 percent, and for House legislative directors and assistants, pay fell 13 percent. Senate staff saw similar percentage drops in median pay. This happened just as the cost of living in Washington, D.C., and the surrounding suburbs soared. The median home price in Washington is now above $600,000.

"Stagnant pay and fewer options for advancement, combined with student loan debt and the high cost of living in Washington, pull staffers into the private sector."

“This is a disgrace,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) tweeted after meeting congressional staffers who also worked as bartenders due to low federal pay.

“You take all your experienced staff and you drive them off the Hill,” Schuman said. “They hit 30 and they don’t want to live in a row house, and, you know, they want to be able to have enough money to pay for day care or they meet a special someone and they can’t afford to stay on the Hill. It takes the people who are experienced and it drives them off.”

--Majority leader does not allow bipartisan bills to be voted on unless it his Caucus agrees on it--

This centralization began in the 1980s under Democratic Speaker Tip O’Neill but accelerated under Gingrich and his successor, Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.), who refused to bring any bills to the floor that did not have majority support within his own Republican Party caucus.This has meant any legislation that might have cross-partisan support but is not supported by leadership has no chance of getting a vote on the floor. This is how former Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) blocked the Yemen War Powers resolution, a bill to end U.S. support for the Saudi war in Yemen that had backing from Republicans and Democrats.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b041e98ffa5d16

---------------------

So right... where's the magic of the free market to come help Congress lack of pay? Oh... guess it doesn't matter? Guess it doesn't matter when senators can't tell the difference between Apple products and google products? Or how they asked Facebook CEO if he is the one who operates Twitter. lol wut? That' just with technology. I can only imagine how they are with a number of other issues they don't remotely understand or have information on that. It is like they can't even properly operate a google search.

How is our country still standing!? ffs...

magic isn't real
    Originally posted by Kajin_Style
    I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
      magic isn't real
      wizards tho

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
        magic isn't real
        Then how do you still exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post

Then how do you still exist?
          what did he mean by this
          Originally posted by Kajin_Style
          I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

Comment

Working...
          X