Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been way too quiet on these things... lol.

College education should be free. We can fund it the way Bernie Sanders wanted to fund it. With a financial transaction tax on stock trading. Of course, there should be requirements to qualify. In grade school, the student will have needed to maintain a C average at a minimum. And going into university, they have to keep the grades up AND they have to maintain attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
      I've been way too quiet on these things... lol.

College education should be free. We can fund it the way Bernie Sanders wanted to fund it. With a financial transaction tax on stock trading. Of course, there should be requirements to qualify. In grade school, the student will have needed to maintain a C average at a minimum. And going into university, they have to keep the grades up AND they have to maintain attendance.
      I'd go stricter than that and say "B Average to qualify," tbh.

Higher education for those who aspire to academic excellence should be a right, but emphasis on for those who aspire to academic excellence.

"C's Get Degrees!" was the mantra of every fratboy with no intellectual curiosity or academic aspirations that went to college just to bro out, play ultimate frisbee, get shitfaced, and score tons of mostly consensual co-ed poon. (and who largely didn't give a shit about wasting their education because their upper middle class parents were covering housing & tuition--they had no skin in the game)

I absolutely DO NOT want those guys getting taxpayer money for free college.

If education matters enough to you that you're demanding it as a public service, a B Average isn't too much to ask for.
      Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; February 7th, 2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

I'd go stricter than that and say "B Average to qualify," tbh.

Higher education for those who aspire to academic excellence should be a right, but emphasis on for those who aspire to academic excellence.

"C's Get Degrees!" was the mantra of every asshole fratboy with no intellectual curiosity or academic aspirations--guys who went to college just to bro out, play ultimate frisbee, get shitfaced wasted every night, and score a ton of mostly-consensual poon. (and who largely didn't give a shit about wasting their education because their upper middle class parents were paying for it--they had no skin in the game)

I absolutely DO NOT want those guys getting taxpayer money for free college.

If education matters enough to you that you're demanding it as a public service, a B Average isn't too much to ask for.
        What about people with learning disabilities that struggle? If we made exceptions there and we began to count that B average after middle school then I can agree with that. We shouldn't expect every pre-teen kid to care enough about their grades to completely get their shit together though. And locking them out of a free education because they didn't comprehend the importance of it as a 6th grader feels harsh.

Comment

What about people with learning disabilities that struggle? If we made exceptions there and we began to count that B average after middle school then I can agree with that. We shouldn't expect every pre-teen kid to care enough about their grades to completely get their shit together though. And locking them out of a free education because they didn't comprehend the importance of it as a 6th grader feels harsh.
          B average minimum to qualify from the time you enter high school (middle school and earlier don't count).

No exceptions.

Students with learning disabilities get reasonable accommodations in the form of extra time to complete tests/assignments or placement in a modified special needs curriculum or w/e.

But if they want public funding to go to college: still gotta get those B's.

How does that sound?

Comment

B average minimum to qualify from the time you enter high school (middle school and earlier don't count).

No exceptions.

Students with learning disabilities get reasonable accommodations in the form of extra time to complete tests/assignments or placement in a modified special needs curriculum or w/e.

But if they want public funding to go to college: still gotta get those B's.

How does that sound?
            You'll have to be more specific than simply stating high school, though. Not every school system has a middle school. (I entered high school in the 7th grade.)

So I'm assuming you mean they have to maintain a B average for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th?

That's reasonable.

Comment

So I'm assuming you mean they have to maintain a B average for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th?

Yes sir.

Comment

On the topic of sex education. I don't think it's necessary pre-puberty. Starting in 9th grade is probably good enough. But for the older teens, it's probably important to go ahead and make condoms available via their sex education teacher or with the school nurse. Teenagers are going to have sex whether the adults want them to or not, I assume we'd rather they do it safely.

Comment

On the topic of sex education. I don't think it's necessary pre-puberty. Starting in 9th grade is probably good enough. But for the older teens, it's probably important to go ahead and make condoms available via their sex education teacher or with the school nurse. Teenagers are going to have sex whether the adults want them to or not, I assume we'd rather they do it safely.
                  There's age appropriate content at all levels; just to give you a general idea of what I'm talking about here...this is something I distinctly remember from back when I was in 1st grade...

There was a day when the school nurse came to the class room. Explained that there were places where girls had different parts than boys. Explained that those are private places other people aren't supposed to touch. Explained the difference between "good touch" vs. "bad touch." And explained that if someone ever touches you there, you should go to an adult you trust and immediately tell them what just happened.

And this was of course met with the amount of giggling and laughter you'd expect from a room full of first graders.

None of us really understood the gravity of what we were being told.

But in retrospect: that was our first ever encounter with public school sex education.

_____

I think thats a pretty reasonable lesson to teach at that age, and that theres age-appropriate ways to build on that before you get to high school and have the full "...this is how you get pregnant. These are the STD's you can get from unprotected sex and what they do to your body. These are ways to avoid STD's and unplanned pregnancies if you're going to be sexually active" course.
                  Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; February 7th, 2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

There's age appropriate content at all levels; just to give you a general idea of what I'm talking about here...this is something I distinctly remember from back when I was in 1st grade...

There was a day when the school nurse came to the class room. Explained that there were places where girls had different parts than boys. Explained that those are private places other people aren't supposed to touch. Explained the difference between "good touch" vs. "bad touch." And explained that if someone ever touches you there, you should go to an adult you trust and immediately tell them what just happened.

And this was of course met with the amount of giggling and laughter you'd expect from a room full of first graders.

But in retrospect: that was our first ever encounter with public school sex education.

_____

I think thats a pretty reasonable lesson to teach at that age, and that theres age-appropriate ways to build on that before you get to high school and have the full "...this is how you get pregnant. These are the STD's you can get from unprotected sex and what they do to your body. These are ways to avoid STD's and unplanned pregnancies if you're going to be sexually active" course.
                    I bolded the part that sticks out to me. My 8 year old isn't "slow" by any means. But there are some fairly simple concepts that he doesn't grasp very well just because he's not really old enough to grasp. (Such as the fact that his daddy can't shit money whenever he wants something new.)

Are any first graders going to really understand what they're being told at that age? Even in the horrible circumstance that one of them might be experiencing it? At 6 years old, if you trust the adult... You trust whatever they're telling you. Doesn't really matter what the lady at school said. Heck, the kid would probably mention to an abuser that the teacher said it was wrong... And the abuser would lie about it... And the child would probably believe them.

My concern would be the child's curiosity kicking in. Say they had a younger sibling and they're told boys and girls are different, so they want to go and see for their self and just go pull the clothes off their younger sibling to look. I feel like that could cause some issue for the school, especially with parents that are more religiously inclined.

Comment

So in other words...

Just show em this video?

I’m down for that. Sonic needs all the good PR he can get RN.

Agreed.

This, maintaining B average for non-disabled students, and free college (well, ignoring the fact that something else will take the place of the costs) are all good in my eyes.

What else should we perhaps cover...?

Comment

I bolded the part that sticks out to me. My 8 year old isn't "slow" by any means. But there are some fairly simple concepts that he doesn't grasp very well just because he's not really old enough to grasp. (Such as the fact that his daddy can't shit money whenever he wants something new.)

Are any first graders going to really understand what they're being told at that age? Even in the horrible circumstance that one of them might be experiencing it? At 6 years old, if you trust the adult... You trust whatever they're telling you. Doesn't really matter what the lady at school said. Heck, the kid would probably mention to an abuser that the teacher said it was wrong... And the abuser would lie about it... And the child would probably believe them.

My concern would be the child's curiosity kicking in. Say they had a younger sibling and they're told boys and girls are different, so they want to go and see for their self and just go pull the clothes off their younger sibling to look. I feel like that could cause some issue for the school, especially with parents that are more religiously inclined.
                        Whats the real harm though in giving kids who might be in that situation that information?

Its not gonna catch all pedophiles or stop all abuse--but hey--it could help.

_________

Other thoughts on sex ed:

(Again going back to the way it was presented to me in school)

I remember in high school, sex ed was taught as a unit of the curriculum in "Health Class." This was a required course that covered diet, exercise, bullying, mental health, effects of drugs & alcohol, and then buried in there--sex ed. (i.e. abstinence, contraception, STD's, etc.)

The overarching goal of the curriculum being that students should complete the class having learned how to make "healthy life choices."

...in hindsight, I don't know if that was the best way to do it...

You had the class being taught and the material being presented by gym teachers.

And the class--in all honesty--largely a giggle-fest + waste of time.

I think a much more effective way to do it would have been to shoehorn the sex ed material into the science class room, under the biology >>>> human anatomy >>>> reproductive system sub-heading. And present the material more clinically in a strictly academic setting, rather than as a lecture on "life choices" from the softball coach.

Comment

I'll have to think on sex ed for a bit. I'm a bit conflicted on some aspects of it. Must be that darn christian upbringing affecting my thought process.

Comment

I'll have to think on sex ed for a bit. I'm a bit conflicted on some aspects of it. Must be that darn christian upbringing affecting my thought process.
                            Maybe its the whole being a dad thing?

..I mean its not just abstract theorycraft for you...you actually have a kid in school...

Thats huge.

Comment

Maybe its the whole being a dad thing?

..I mean its not just abstract theorycraft for you...you actually have a kid in school...

Thats huge.
                              That's probably got a lot to do with it. I work hard to shield him from a lot of stuff. >_>

Comment

That's probably got a lot to do with it. I work hard to shield him from a lot of stuff. >_>
                                Never ever let him visit T5, then. And I say this without a hint of sarcasm. Only if/when he becomes a 4chanfag, but I doubt this place will still be around then.

Rest in peace, John Dunsworth (1946-2017).

Comment

Originally posted by Oneiros View Post

Never ever let him visit T5, then. And I say this without a hint of sarcasm. Only if/when he becomes a 4chanfag, but I doubt this place will still be around then.
                                  I've got this site blocked on his netbook. Not even joking or memeing.

Comment

I've got this site blocked on his netbook. Not even joking or memeing.
                                    Doing God's work.

Rest in peace, John Dunsworth (1946-2017).

Comment

Cid you need to unblock this site for your son every Sunday and let him read some of Wade's posts. It'll save you gas money and he goes to church. Amen.
                                      Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                                      I say the japanese schoolgirl. She'll pull out a whistle and summon a mecha to fight for her.
                                      Meanwhile the catholic girl prays to an imaginary god that throughout all his biblical feats has not once saved someone from a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                                        Cid you need to unblock this site for your son every Sunday and let him read some of Wade's posts. It'll save you gas money and he goes to church. Amen.
                                        That's a brilliant idea.

I'll get to work on it as soon as The True Creator gifts me the ability to move again.

Comment

If I may interject on that point, as someone who was raised in a puritan christian's wet dream (I understand the irony of the statement) sheltered and homeschooled to the point that I had no knowledge of sex or what it entailed as all I was told was to not do it and that abstinence was the way..... It gave me nothing but problems in my young adult life. Safe sex and everything else that goes along with wise decisions at that age were completely foreign concepts to me and I was under prepared to deal with anything more than a kiss on the cheek.

If you don't teach children what they should do on your terms, then nature will take it's course regardless of your input. You can't shelter a kid from biology kicking in and finding someone else in either the same boat or willing to take advantage of them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X