Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Racism in America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
    Yes, no, no, no.

    Racism is human nature, literally everyone is racist to an extent, consciously or subconsciously
    Some ppl aren't racist. It just takes a bit of discipline to break the illusion of inequality.

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

      Yes.
      What extent do you reckon?

      ...many white americans today have been raised to believe that "racism" isn't a problem any more; it was a problem in the 1960s. Then we abolished segregation and passed the Civil Rights Act and made laws against discrimination in employment and in places of public accommodations. Thats it. Problem solved. No more racism.
      The other day on another forum, someone tried to convince me america wasn't racist because he hadn't experienced it for himself. He said he lived in a majority white town and even claimed to be white himself. So ofcourse he's not going to be able to see racism.

      Which is erroneous.
      Which is the same exact thing as scapegoating the issue onto something else/pointing fingers.

      "We're no where near as bad as we used to be 50 years ago!" or "so what we're a little racist? It's not like we're back in the 40's now are we?"

      And who has it in his head that the people complaining about racism are must be the real racists, because if racism isn't a problem and everyone is equal but they still want more done, they must want whites to have fewer rights then non-whites and their policies must be "reverse discrimination." (not so much of a "sidestep," as an unwillingness or inability to see the actual problem)
      How would you approach this situation then? Obviously you can't please every minority group in amerca if you leave one out of any government supported action. But it's already been this way it seems since i've seen movements like BLM, but none for any other ethnic groups.




      normalized racism is increasing rather than decreasing in popularity and vocalization and political power.
      100% agreed. Somehow this mindset of "if they do it then it must be okay for me to do so as well" is gaining traction.

      Its like a fever that has to run its course--sometimes all you can do is sweat it out.
      It does not seem to be progressively dying down though.




      I will say that for all its faults, America has historically been and continues to be the most successful multiethnic society since the Roman Empire.
      Which, leaves it more prone for racism to occur.


      Also, america has had a history on being incredibly racist.

      ake for example Hawaii, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, or Guam - all of these are examples of American Imperialism and were/are given extremely racist justifications.

      anyways, i'm curious if you think the refugee problematic contributes to racism in america or anywhere else as well.
      Last edited by Sza; November 13th, 2018, 04:59 PM.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by P408370R View Post
        *Pets your face.*

        It's only a matter of time until you get banned as well~
        you acknowledged racism here.

        How do you feel about things like this happening quite frequently, and making headlines

        https://thehill.com/homenews/news/41...-while-holding

        A police officer responding to a shooting in a Chicago-area bar shot and killed a black security guard who had subdued and disarmed the shooter.
        On Sunday at 4 a.m. a group of drunken men were asked to leave Manny's Blue Room Bar, witnesses told local news station WGN9 .
        Afterwards, someone from the group returned with a gun and opened fire.
        Security returned fire, witnesses told WGN9, and an armed security guard, Jemel Roberson, apprehended one of the men involved outside.
        "He had somebody on the ground with his knee in his back, with his gun in his back like, 'Don’t move,'" witness Adam Harris told WGNTV.
        But an officer responding to the scene fired at Roberson and killed him.
        "Everybody was screaming out 'Security!' He was a security guard," Harris said.

        The Midlothian police department confirmed to The Hill that two of its officers responded to the shooting and one opened fire.
        "Upon arrival Officers learned there were several gunshot victims inside the bar. A Midlothian Officer encountered a subject with a gun and was involved in an Officer involved shooting. The subject the Officer shot was later pronounced deceased at an area hospital," Chief Daniel Delaney of the Midlothian Police Department said in a statement.
        Delaney added an investigation into the shooting of the security guard is now taking place.
        Friends of Roberson told the news station that he planned to become a police officer and was an upstanding man.
        The Cook County Sheriff's Office will manage the investigation into the shooting at the bar as the State Police Public Integrity Task Force is investigating the shooting of Roberson.
        Do you suspect more underlying racism at play, or another black person who was shot at the hands of what it seems like police brutality is just quite frankly, unlucky?

        This is a recent event also.
        Last edited by Sza; November 13th, 2018, 05:02 PM.

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by Mae Borowski View Post

          Some ppl aren't racist. It just takes a bit of discipline to break the illusion of inequality.
          EVERYONE is racist, you just act on subconscious racist bias.

          And this is a left-wing talking point.
          Last edited by DokTOR.; November 13th, 2018, 05:03 PM.
          Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
          Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

            EVERYONE is racist,
            This comes across as so meek, passive, and indecisive while making conciliatory excuses on behalf of the extremely racist people that are indeed out there.

            Are you going to be this apologetic when someone down the line causes a tragedy, and give a half ass excuse that "everyone is evil in some way" now?

            hur dur hitler was racist sure, but hur dur everyone is racist sooo hur dur
            Last edited by Sza; November 13th, 2018, 05:05 PM.

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by Sza View Post
              This comes across as so meek, passive, and indecisive while making conciliatory excuses on behalf of the extremely racist people that are indeed out there.

              Are you going to be this apologetic when someone down the line causes a tragedy, and give a half ass excuse that "everyone is evil in some way" now?

              hur dur hitler was racist sure, but hur dur everyone is racist sooo hur dur
              "The world is black and white and nuance isn't a thing."
              Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
              Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

              Comment


                #27
                so you also just happen to lack a spine and would rather not confront the issue

                got it

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by Sza View Post
                  so you also just happen to lack a spine and would rather not confront the issue

                  got it
                  What are you on about you retard

                  Everyone is a bit racist like everyone is a bit of a cunt. It doesn't mean there's a widespread epidemic of racism in the first world like there isn't a widespread epidemic of people calling you a faggot like you deserve.
                  Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
                  Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                    EVERYONE is racist, you just act on subconscious racist bias.

                    And this is a left-wing talking point.
                    You can't control me

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post
                      EVERYONE is racist
                      I know plenty of rednecks that don't have an ounce of racism in them. Alabama is full of them, in fact. No racists down here.

                      Comment


                        #31
                        Originally posted by DokTOR. View Post

                        EVERYONE is racist
                        no—you’re just kinduva an A-hole.

                        Comment


                          #32
                          Originally posted by Mae Borowski View Post
                          I think we need to get past it already. The whole racism thing is obnoxious and it's unnecessary. Yes I agree that it's still and issue and that's why we need to get our heads out of our own asses and accept eachother. We're all meat bags, we're not important to the universe, so we should stop feeling more important than other meat bags. We're going to die, get over it.
                          wubba lubba dub dub
                          Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                          I have this illness called "Having-a-Heart" and gives me this irrational sense of empathy and care for my fellow man.

                          Comment


                            #33
                            I'm gonna go up to bat for Doc on this one. I think that there's an implicit bias in the way that everyone treats everyone, based on a variety of factors. This includes people's race.

                            That's not saying that everyone secretly thinks one race is superior to every other one, it's not a justification for actually horrible things, it's just saying that everyone sees color. Me, for example, I feel really nervous around the two or three black people I see a year- because I don't want to come off as a racist asshole even though I'm not. It doesn't matter, nobody's inconvenienced in the slightest by it, but it is technically 'racist'.

                            Comment


                              #34
                              Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                              I feel really nervous around the two or three black people I see a year- because I don't want to come off as a racist asshole even though I'm not. It doesn't matter, nobody's inconvenienced in the slightest by it, but it is technically 'racist'.
                              I don't think that qualifies as racist, though? That would be like me being nervous around a group of old people because I didn't want to say something they'd find offensive. It doesn't really have anything to do with anyone other than yourself. Now if you had said something like "I feel really nervous around the two or three black people I see a year - because I always think they're going to mug or kill me" then yeah, that's kind of racist. But you're just saying you're worried you might accidentally say something they'd find offensive without even intending to. That doesn't really come across as racist to me.

                              Comment


                                #35
                                Originally posted by Cid View Post

                                I don't think that qualifies as racist, though? That would be like me being nervous around a group of old people because I didn't want to say something they'd find offensive. It doesn't really have anything to do with anyone other than yourself. Now if you had said something like "I feel really nervous around the two or three black people I see a year - because I always think they're going to mug or kill me" then yeah, that's kind of racist. But you're just saying you're worried you might accidentally say something they'd find offensive without even intending to. That doesn't really come across as racist to me.
                                I've seen this argument a couple of times and usually the difference in people's perspective is just what the definition of racism is.

                                Comment


                                  #36
                                  Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

                                  I've seen this argument a couple of times and usually the difference in people's perspective is just what the definition of racism is.
                                  racism = you treat people worse than their individual merits would warrant, because you are judging them based on negative characteristics ascribed to persons of their racial background rather than on said individual merits.

                                  You're not a racist orgy.

                                  Comment


                                    #37
                                    Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

                                    racism = you treat people worse than their individual merits would warrant, because you are judging them based on negative characteristics ascribed to persons of their racial background rather than on said individual merits.

                                    You're not a racist orgy.
                                    Not under that definition, no.

                                    Comment


                                      #38
                                      Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

                                      I've seen this argument a couple of times and usually the difference in people's perspective is just what the definition of racism is.
                                      I mean, this is kind of arguing for semantics here, but by and large, most people would not consider that being racist.

                                      more along the lines of you trying to be very considerate more than anything.

                                      I'm gonna go up to bat for Doc on this one. I think that there's an implicit bias in the way that everyone treats everyone, based on a variety of factors. This includes people's race.
                                      No one has said that racism doesn't exist in other groups of people though. This is merely a deflection from the main topic at hand

                                      it's not a justification for actually horrible things,
                                      You agree it's not a justification for racist things at all, but agree with doc who said that it was?

                                      Last edited by Sza; November 14th, 2018, 12:24 PM.

                                      Comment


                                        #39
                                        Originally posted by Sza View Post

                                        I mean, this is kind of arguing for semantics here, but by and large, most people would not consider that being racist.

                                        more along the lines of you trying to be very considerate more than anything.
                                        It's totally arguing semantics, yeah. And it should be called something else, probably, but I don't really know if there is a term besides racist for it.

                                        It's not really me trying to be considerate though, it's me being subconsciously affected by stereotypes that I know are bullshit. That was Doc's point, that things like that are (in his words- to an extent, consciously or unconsciously) racist.

                                        Comment


                                        • Sza
                                          Sza commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          i edited the post and quoted more of you, dude.

                                        #40
                                        Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

                                        racism = you treat people worse than their individual merits would warrant, because you are judging them based on negative characteristics ascribed to persons of their racial background rather than on said individual merits.
                                        yes this is racism, but i think we can attribute racism to things that don't revolve around treating others worse per se.

                                        Racism= singling out someone for their race ( racial profiling p much), blatant racism (what you stated), or involving race in things that have nothing to do with it (i.e why tf did this woman cut me in line? i hate -insert woman's race here- like her) all pretty much are hard examples of what racism is to me.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X