This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #83.6666666667 View Post

I'm now convince you don't know what quips are. Do I honestly need to explain everything in detail now?
    Lets review what happened so far, I will explain to you in detail. You said Chinese getting to India without getting lost was a big thing and how Chinese were more advanced than Europeans back then, I said we are next to each other so you don't need to be advanced to get to neighbors, now you are saying they could have gone to America if they wanted to.

The entire point of my post was to tell you, Chinese weren't as advanced as Europeans back then, as it's not a big deal to find India, as we are next to each other, while Europeans had to navigate the seas to get to India, which is a lot tougher.

Comment

• #83.6666666667
      #83.6666666667 commented
      Editing a comment
      More autistic than RCA.

• Flame Saber
      Flame Saber commented
      Editing a comment
      #83.6666666667 ^Translation: "hey, idk how to reply so i will just flame him to make my point even valid"

stfu you fucking loser. .

• #83.6666666667
      #83.6666666667 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a joke, Einstein. Don't get so butt ravaged.

I legit forgot that #83 was some kind of China-crazed loon.

In another topic he was arguing with me that China landing a biosphere on the moon and having some veggies take 10 hours to freeze to death was more impressive than anything NASA had done before.

He just gets completely irrational when China is involved for some reason. Helly, maybe it's not Matador after all. Could be Solar at this point with that Asian Fever. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
      I legit forgot that #83 was some kind of China-crazed loon.

In another topic he was arguing with me that China landing a biosphere on the moon and having some veggies take 10 hours to freeze to death was more impressive than anything NASA had done before.

He just gets completely irrational when China is involved for some reason. Helly, maybe it's not Matador after all. Could be Solar at this point with that Asian Fever. lol
      Maybe. idk though, despite being a femboy even Solar was a bigger man than this guy and wore his heritage on his sleeve.

but, damn.....he's been getting schooled in this thread too, i had no idea. At this rate, he will never grow the balls to write the first page of his book.

Comment

When did I say I didn't know who Marco Polo is? That comment was for Dok and me referencing Columbus ending up in the Americas. I wasn't talking about land routes, though.
        ... You do know about the voyages to round the southern cape of africa right?

Like that was a major point in European history as they did know how to get to india and their entire goal was to get to those markets directly. Furthermore Columbus was trying to find a faster way there as going around africa was insane logistically, and not knowing that shows you don't understand limitations of technology at the time. Even China had that problem which is why they canceled the expeditions when they got to africa as it was very expensive and they saw no point in going further. Similarly Europeans knew they could do it, but it's a matter of being cost effective. that's why the canal was such a powerful asset to the brits.

Comment

Originally posted by OsamaBinBallin View Post
          Tension in a good way or bad way?
          Sexual tension

Comment

Originally posted by J peth View Post

... You do know about the voyages to round the southern cape of africa right?

Like that was a major point in European history as they did know how to get to india and their entire goal was to get to those markets directly. Furthermore Columbus was trying to find a faster way there as going around africa was insane logistically, and not knowing that shows you don't understand limitations of technology at the time. Even China had that problem which is why they canceled the expeditions when they got to africa as it was very expensive and they saw no point in going further. Similarly Europeans knew they could do it, but it's a matter of being cost effective. that's why the canal was such a powerful asset to the brits.
            Do you know how to read or interpret pictures?

No they didn't know how to get there. Part of the reason why Columbus failed to get to India. Those were relatively uncharted waters for the Europeans. The first European that reached India needed local guides to help him get to India.

Never once did I claim it was easy or not expensive to get there.

No they stopped because the emperor that was in favor of those expeditions died. While a fleet of cities was expensive it wasn't the major factor.

It was done in desperation more than then knowing the way and being easy for them to get there. Hence Columbus venturing to unknown territory. Despite knowing the earth was a sphere like many people knew back then he didn't know how big the ocean was nor what lay in it.
            Originally posted by Helly;n542091
            Also, lol @ "I'm busy". You admit you have no life and go to many forums, and in the same post lie about havingLmao. Go work on your fictitious "dream" instead of wasting your time lying to us about how important you are.

Comment

Do you know how to read or interpret pictures?

No they didn't know how to get there. Part of the reason why Columbus failed to get to India. Those were relatively uncharted waters for the Europeans. The first European that reached India needed local guides to help him get to India.
              That's the year Europeans sailed around the southern tip of africa.
              that's the year Columbus left on his voyage

They knew how to get to India via the southern route around africa long before Columbus's time.

No they stopped because the emperor that was in favor of those expeditions died. While a fleet of cities was expensive it wasn't the major factor.
              Yes, the emperor who supported the expeditions died, and those who took power after him saw no point in spending the resources on what they assumed was a pointless venture that would yield no benefit to themselves and thus not worth the effort.

It was done in desperation more than then knowing the way and being easy for them to get there. Hence Columbus venturing to unknown territory. Despite knowing the earth was a sphere like many people knew back then he didn't know how big the ocean was nor what lay in it.
              desperation? The spanish were not desperate in any way, they were greedy and enticed by Colubus's claim of providing them riches. Primarily it was the Queen of Spain more than the king furthermore who was convinced of his claim. And they were not Colubus's first choice either, he went to them after he was laughed out of most other countries he made the offer to as they knew his math was off and knew he wasn't going to reach India that way.

Comment

That's the year Europeans sailed around the southern tip of africa.
                that's the year Columbus left on his voyage

They knew how to get to India via the southern route around africa long before Columbus's time.

Yes, the emperor who supported the expeditions died, and those who took power after him saw no point in spending the resources on what they assumed was a pointless venture that would yield no benefit to themselves and thus not worth the effort.

desperation? The spanish were not desperate in any way, they were greedy and enticed by Colubus's claim of providing them riches. Primarily it was the Queen of Spain more than the king furthermore who was convinced of his claim. And they were not Colubus's first choice either, he went to them after he was laughed out of most other countries he made the offer to as they knew his math was off and knew he wasn't going to reach India that way.
                Jesus Christ.
                "Da Gama's discovery of the sea route to India was significant and opened the way for an age of global imperialism and for the Portuguese to establish a long-lasting colonial empire in Asia. Traveling the ocean route allowed the Portuguese to avoid sailing across the highly disputed Mediterranean and traversing the dangerous Arabian Peninsula.
                After decades of sailors trying to reach the Indies, with thousands of lives and dozens of vessels lost in shipwrecks and attacks, da Gama landed in Calicut on 20 May 1498. Unopposed access to the Indian spice routes boosted the economy of the Portuguese Empire, which was previously based along northern and coastal West Africa. The main spices at first obtained from Southeast Asia were pepper and cinnamon, but soon included other products, all new to Europe. Portugal maintained a commercial monopoly of these commodities for several decades"

Yet Gama was the first to reach India with help of locals in 1498.

Yes, but the other emperor thought otherwise. So the main reason was the new emperor. Simple logic.

If a crack addict sucks your cock just to take another hit are they desperate or greedy? You seem like a smart fellow, I'm sure you can figure it out.
                Also, lol @ "I'm busy". You admit you have no life and go to many forums, and in the same post lie about havingLmao. Go work on your fictitious "dream" instead of wasting your time lying to us about how important you are.

Comment

Jesus Christ.
                  "Da Gama's discovery of the sea route to India was significant and opened the way for an age of global imperialism and for the Portuguese to establish a long-lasting colonial empire in Asia. Traveling the ocean route allowed the Portuguese to avoid sailing across the highly disputed Mediterranean and traversing the dangerous Arabian Peninsula.
                  After decades of sailors trying to reach the Indies, with thousands of lives and dozens of vessels lost in shipwrecks and attacks, da Gama landed in Calicut on 20 May 1498. Unopposed access to the Indian spice routes boosted the economy of the Portuguese Empire, which was previously based along northern and coastal West Africa. The main spices at first obtained from Southeast Asia were pepper and cinnamon, but soon included other products, all new to Europe. Portugal maintained a commercial monopoly of these commodities for several decades"

Yet Gama was the first to reach India with help of locals in 1498.

Yes, but the other emperor thought otherwise. So the main reason was the new emperor. Simple logic.

I'll respond to both as they are related, literally in the first link you provide.

They knew they could get to India by following the coastline as well as potentially cutting from eastern africa to india, however the costs is what prevented such things being attempted. It took foresight in how to manage both the upkeep of specific overseas territories as well as diplomatic action to such foreign powers that at the time were hard to correspond with in any official or efficient way to make it stable and thus profitable. In basic terms you can boil down to both the reason the chinese stopped exploring and why the Europeans never ventured to india via a southern route at that time to the same phrase of "it's not in the budget" or "this money could be better used elsewhere". It's because people had a business model in mind to utilize this venture that portugal managed to make a killing by taking strategic territories and being willing to put down a gamble of a down payment that they accomplished the task.

I'd also point out that it seems you vastly underestimate the size of Africa and how slow boats were in those times.
                  If a crack addict sucks your cock just to take another hit are they desperate or greedy? You seem like a smart fellow, I'm sure you can figure it out.
                  that depends, do they have enough crack to sustain their needs and those of everyone they know? because the Spanish crown was not by any means scraping to get by.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

Maybe. idk though, despite being a femboy even Solar was a bigger man than this guy and wore his heritage on his sleeve.
                    No doubt, though it's worth noting that Solar wasn't even (full) Chinese, lol. Pretty sure his previous incarnation admitted to being Viet, Filipino, or w/e the fuck you call someone from Laos. All I remember was that it was one of the irrelevant Asian countries.

Comment

*got notification that thread was active again*

I came in here expecting to see a bunch of edgy hot takes and half-baked opinions on the protests in Hong Kong.

And yall motherfuckers talking about Columbus

Comment

I'll respond to both as they are related, literally in the first link you provide.

They knew they could get to India by following the coastline as well as potentially cutting from eastern africa to india, however the costs is what prevented such things being attempted. It took foresight in how to manage both the upkeep of specific overseas territories as well as diplomatic action to such foreign powers that at the time were hard to correspond with in any official or efficient way to make it stable and thus profitable. In basic terms you can boil down to both the reason the chinese stopped exploring and why the Europeans never ventured to india via a southern route at that time to the same phrase of "it's not in the budget" or "this money could be better used elsewhere". It's because people had a business model in mind to utilize this venture that portugal managed to make a killing by taking strategic territories and being willing to put down a gamble of a down payment that they accomplished the task.

I'd also point out that it seems you vastly underestimate the size of Africa and how slow boats were in those times.

that depends, do they have enough crack to sustain their needs and those of everyone they know? because the Spanish crown was not by any means scraping to get by.
                        I'm not sure of the deep political scene going on at the time but my point was that it wasn't easy for them and they had help from Arab navigators.

It's not called the Spice routes for no reason. Spices were like gold or petroleum back then (which probably paled in comparison to what they took from the Americas in the plant department), which the Arabs and Ottomans cutting Europeans off from the traditional routes they didn't really have a choice.

Comment

Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; November 11th, 2019, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Since this seems to be the China thread...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

China is probably responsible for the largest single ethnic cleansing going on right now.

And they’ll probably get away with it. Which isn’t new for genocidal regimes, but still.
                            Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; November 19th, 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X