Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Korea agrees to stop testing nukes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Korea agrees to stop testing nukes.

No word on whether they'll stop actually producing their new two-stage bombs, but they did agree with S. Korea's talks to stop actually testing bombs.

This is good, it means we're less likely to end up in a war with them now.

I have a thread for this, but whatevs.

Let's see how things go.

These types of agreements have been broken before (the Soviets broke an agreement and re-ignited testing for both sides at one point during the Cold War), and the Kim regime is slightly-less-than trustworthy, to say the least, but it's something.

Comment

If they test a H-bomb or a 3 stage bomb, we'll know, even if it's under ground or under water. The USGS can tell the difference between a natural quake and a bomb test, and our spy satellites have mass spectrometers that can spot nuclear by-products; they tunnel through the ground even in a mile deep shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
        I have a thread for this, but whatevs.

Let's see how things go.

These types of agreements have been broken before (the Soviets broke an agreement and re-ignited testing for both sides at one point during the Cold War), and the Kim regime is slightly-less-than trustworthy, to say the least, but it's something.
        Sorry, I didn't see it. I looked, but maybe I didn't read close enough.

Comment

I hope it's true, NK needs to chill

Comment

Yes, next time they fire off a nuke it won't be a test
            Originally posted by Oneiros
            In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

You can make 2 stage and 3 stage nuclear weapons more efficient by just making the iron casing on the bomb thicker. I forget which isotope of iron is best, but if a Neutron hits an iron atom nucleus at the correct energy level, it experiences fission and releases an anti-proton. This anti-proton immediately annihilates a hydrogen nucleus, releasing approximately twice as much gamma rays as the energy level of the original Neutron. This is actually one of the most powerful reactions that takes place during a core collapse supernova.

It's probably the case that the heavier the iron isotope, the better. So in this case you'd make the casing of each stage of the bomb from the heaviest iron isotope you are able to enrich. So this gets down to "enriching" both Iron and Uranium to make the bomb stronger.

First Uranium (or Plutonium) stage is the primer fo rthe Hydrogen stage.
              Hydrogen stage is a primer for the third stage.
              Third stage is the non-fissile Uranium isotope (I get them confused) It fissions when neutrons hit it.
              Iron casings on each stage contain the reaction for an instant in an attempt to optimize the efficiency, and if any neutrons hit the iron atoms they release anti-protons, making the reaction stronger anyway.

So it's actually to the benefit of the bomb maker to make the iron housing has big as possible. The more iron housing, the bigger the final explosion will be...up to the limit of making the iron thick enough to absorb the maximum number of neutrons released by all possible stages.

A fourth stage can be made by making another compressed hydrogen stage outside all of the stuff listed above, and yet another iron housing stage after that. Dr. Michio Kaku explained how Nth stage doomsday weapons could be made by continual nesting like this.

Tsar Bomba was a 3 stage nuclear weapon, but it only used half of the designed fuel source. Half the fuel was replaced with lead in the test. The real designed weapon would detonate at greater than double the 57 megaton yield of the test bomb. This test produced a shockwave which circled the earth at least 3 times, being detected on Barometers for circling the earth 3 times.

If you actually tested the full scale Tsar Bomba, the gamma radiation would blow a hole in the Ozone layer, and the Ultraviolet radiation from the Sun would risk giving cancer to most macroscopic life forms on earth. Right now, the hole in the Ozone stays mostly over antarctica, but during the Ordivician it is believed Earth was hit from a Gamma Ray Burst which destroyed 1/3rd of the Ozone, and the Ultraviolet killed everything on land and everything in the shallow water.

So Tsar Bomba = bad for planet earth. This is why both the U.S. and Russia stopped scaling up bombs. The U.S. had 3600 of 20 megaton bombs at one point, and around 10,000 bombs total, and Russia had over 30,000 nuclear warheads at one point during the Cold War.

Currently, the largest bomb the U.S. still has armed is around 850 kilotons 3 stage bomb. Much smaller than the largest thing they tested.
              Last edited by Wade; March 6th, 2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

A problem as I see it with negotiating with Kim Jong Un is that it's BS to negotiate with this guy. He went to the extent of murdering his own relatives to solidify a power grab after his grandfather died. This is not a good or moral person to leave in power for potentially decades to come. Like seriously, someone needs to put a bullet in this guy's head, and just tell the world they did them a favor.

Comment

Right now, the North Koreans are still on Ballistic Missile tech, and haven't made a re-entry heat shield yet.

Russia, China, and the U.S. have Guided Missiles and Cruise Missiles. The Korean rocket engineers are so far not as smart and not as experienced as the Cold War era rocket engineers from the U.S. Russia, and China.

Comment

Dang I'm gonna miss their weekly "gonna nuke America for real this time" bluffs.
                    Originally posted by Kajin_Style
                    Quiet cathartic really.

Comment

I would arm our Destroyers and Aircraft carriers in the Pacific with COIL lasers. We have two of these that I know of on 747's which are intended to fly around in the air and shoot down missiles. We need more of these to put pressure on N. Korea. You can mount them on destroyers and aircraft carriers, and link them into the electrical systems...they have nuclear power plants on board. This would give an added defensive shield against any potential N. Korean nuclear attacks vs our fleets. I'd do this with at least one Destroyer per Aircraft carrier. These lasers have a 400 mile effective range for the ones that are in-flight, but from the surface they'd have an effective range of about 200 miles (shooting up). This is more than enough to shoot down nuclear missiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket Rocket View Post
                        Dang I'm gonna miss their weekly "gonna nuke America for real this time" bluffs.
                        Kim would need to manufature a ridiculous amount of nukes, and bunker-busting tech we know he doesn't have, in order to totally disable the U.S. ability to counter-attack. The U.S. has nukes stowed in under ground bunkers deep under the ground, so we can counter-attack anyway, even if we're taken totally off-guard by the first wave of an enemy nuclear attack. This was done during the heart of the Cold War. Now we have spy tech that wasn't possible back then, so we wouldn't be taken off-guard anyway. The N. Koreans would be idiots to actually use a nuke against our mainland or any of our territories.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                          This is good
                          No it isn't. There's a very good chance that this is nothing but a ploy to turn South Korea against the US. Dictatorships don't willingly relinquish power.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

No it isn't. There's a very good chance that this is nothing but a ploy to turn South Korea against the US. Dictatorships don't willingly relinquish power.
                            I'm missing the logic behind that ploy tbh.
                            (Just waiting for another set)

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

"We're playing nice so stop being mean at us, America! Cousin Bad Korea, look at what the big mean American is doing"

i guess?
                              Originally posted by Oneiros
                              In that case, I’m the biggest faggot on the block.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Our President is a man-child. North Korea might promise to stop testing nukes, but they won't disarm and they will likely want to strike a nuclear deal with the US like Iran did. And Trump won't let that fly, he'll continue to make idiotic tweets and comments, to which NK will respond. The difference is that they're now "cooperating" with South Korea. SK wants to rekindle a friendly relationship with the North above all else. If America doesn't start talking about lifting sanctions and proposing aide to the North, then SK's relations will begin to strain.
                                Last edited by Cid; March 8th, 2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post

Our President is a man-child. North Korea might promise to stop testing nukes, but they won't disarm and they will likely want to strike a nuclear deal with the US like Iran did. And Trump won't let that fly, he'll continue to make idiotic tweets and comments, to which NK will respond. The difference is that they're now "cooperating" with South Korea. SK wants to rekindle a friendly relationship with the North above all else. If America doesn't start talking about lifting sanctions and proposing aide to the North, then SK's relations will begin to strain.
                                  What exactly are we supposed to do then...?

I'd go with maintaining the sanctions, honestly.

Lightening the strain would just be asking for North Korea to act up again and we'd probably end up back where we started.

Comment

I vote for "regime change" and my TAD (Total Asset Destruction) policy.

Set 'em back 30 to 50 years worth of development.

I'm sick of hearing about North Korea, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

What exactly are we supposed to do then...?
                                      Diplomacy. If they ask for sanctions to be released, then we talk about it with them. Have a meeting between leaders and propose removing sanctions in exchange for the myriad of human rights violations to stop and a release of any and all foreign prisoners there. Talk to SK and NK about using South Korean military personnel to put a base in the North to ensure that those violations don't continue under radar.

If they want to strike a Nuclear deal, make it so that they can't have weapons but work with them to build reactors incapable of producing weapons-grade material.

The North likely won't agree to any of these terms, which would allow the US to take the moral high ground and ensure no other country could fault us for not agreeing to help. Thing is, it takes diplomacy to accomplish that. And it takes a President who won't derail everything with insults and dick measuring. We have neither and I have no confidence in Trump's administration to keep any talks from going sideways if they did happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                                        I vote for "regime change" and my TAD (Total Asset Destruction) policy.

Set 'em back 30 to 50 years worth of development.

I'm sick of hearing about North Korea, to be honest.
                                        The last thing the US needs to do is crush a country when tensions are lessening. >_>

We've already got enough international dirt on us as is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                        Auto-Saved
                                        x
                                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                        x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                                        Working...
                                        X