Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol I think republicans are finally catching on.

Comment

So, Alabama has been in the news the last couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
        So, Alabama has been in the news the last couple days.
        Lol
        Originally posted by Snap
        "man you always know what to get me for my birthday, you really are a nigger"

Comment

http://saladinoforcongress.com/

lolololololol

Comment

Great--just what this country needs.

More people from Alabama

Comment

• Cid
              Cid commented
              Editing a comment
              lmao

It seems republicans are dead set on tanking Trump's re-election chances for long term victories.

Overturning Roe V Wade and getting into a war with Iran is not going to do any favors for 2020

Comment

Originally posted by J peth View Post
              It seems republicans are dead set on tanking Trump's re-election chances for long term victories.

Overturning Roe V Wade and getting into a war with Iran is not going to do any favors for 2020
              Honestly, I've wondered if Roe V Wade should have just been left to the states to figure it out...

Seems a lot of stuff would have turned out better if it was treated like that.

The Iran (+ Venezuela) stuff is simply and purely gay AF tho.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post

Honestly, I've wondered if Roe V Wade should have just been left to the states to figure it out...

Sure as long as the states who ban abortion are required to provide food and board for the child and parent's who need it without any federal dollars. It amazes me how one of the poorest states that receives ridiculous amounts of federal money is always bitching about state rights.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyOfDaState View Post

Sure as long as the states who ban abortion are required to provide food and board for the child and parent's who need it without any federal dollars. It amazes me how one of the poorest states that receives ridiculous amounts of federal money is always bitching about state rights.
                  "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps".
                  Originally posted by Wade
                  Everything is hidden in plain sight, like in Men in Black. We've all just been neuralized to think it is "normal".

Comment

Ummmmm “Left to the states to figure out” was the pre Roe v. Wade law that Roe overturned. There is no such thinh as “let the states figure out Roe v. Wade.” “Let the states figure it out” is a complete and total abandonment of Roe.

Comment

Yes. Let republican controlled states do what they want to do. Amazing idea.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post
                        "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps".
                        Should have never ended slavery, Alabama clearly needs the handicap to keep up with everyone else.

Comment

Relevant.

Comment

Honestly, I've wondered if The Thirteenth Amendment should have just been left to the states to figure it out...

Now think about how dumb you sound.

Comment

• J peth
                              J peth commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn't say you were a slavery apologist.

I said your argument is as bad as the ones they had. "leaving it a state's issue" is rarely if ever a good argument when it comes to someone's rights.

• RussianCoffeeAddict
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn’t say that you called me one...

But editing my post to make me sound like one...?

Yeah.

Maybe you didn’t mean it...but it sure looks like you’re morally equating me with some unsavory folks...

I don’t expect, nor would I ask for, Shob-level posts and explanations.

But that kind of stuff is not gonna change my mind, and if I did the same to you, substituting ”baby-killing” into your posts...

Well, you would call it out, I’m sure.
                              Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; May 23rd, 2019, 09:05 PM.

• J peth
                              J peth commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No, I'd call out how abortions are rarely if ever even quantifiable as "baby killing" being as it's usually a fetus or a zygote and thus not even a baby.

Like I'm gonna take off my partisan hat here for a second and just lay this out in a purely legalistic sense. The argumentation surrounding abortion was thoroughly hashed out before the Supreme Court in Roe v. Wade. All positions were heard. All arguments were considered. What the Court was tasked with doing at the end of the day was applying the law of the Constitution of the United States to the issue in controversy, and articulating what does the law say.

The Court in issuing its opinion and setting out its analytical framework applied the following law and reached the following legal conclusions:

(1) States generally have power to pass their own laws. The limit of this power is that State laws can not legislate against The Constitution of the United States of America; The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the land, and any law contrary thereto (i.e. 'unconstitutional') is invalid. This is the basic foundation of American jurisprudence.

(2) The Bill of Rights to the Constitution of the United States protects a fundamental right to dues process of law.

(3) The Right to Due Process of Law means that a law which places a burden upon persons subject thereto must be rationally related to a legitimate interest of public policy

(4) Laws which burden persons subject thereto and are not rationally related to a legitimate interest of public policy are unconstitutional, because they violate the fundamental right to Due Process

(5) A law is also an unconstitutional violation of due process if it imposes a burden pursuant to a legitimate interest of law or public policy, but it imposes an "undue burden" on affected persons grossly disproportionate to the weight of the interest that the State seeks to advance

(6) Abortion bans and restrictions impose a burden on women seeking abortions

(7) The legitimate interest of public policy proffered by the State for passing laws that ban and restrict abortion is protecting the health and wellbeing of the 'child' in the womb.

(8) At later stages in the pregnancy when the woman has already had several months to decide whether or not she wants to have an abortion and has decided in those months not to abort, and when the pregnancy is sufficiently developed that the child if born premature might survive outside the womb, the states purported interest is compelling and the burden imposed is weak.

(9) At earlier stages in the pregnancy when the woman is first deciding whether to keep or abort, and when the pregnancy has not yet developed into a viable fetus, the burden imposed on affected women is compelling and the state's purported interest is weak.

(10) Accordingly, because they impose an undue burden on women seeking abortions, first trimester abortion bans are a violation of the right to due process and must be struck down as unconstitutional.

(11) "Late term" abortion restrictions are NOT unconstitutional per-se, and may be upheld.

(12) However, late term abortion restrictions still cannot pose an undue burden grossly disproportionate to the weight of the interest they seek to uphold and may be struck down as violations of the right to due process if they do. (i.e. late term abortion bans MUST have medical necessity exceptions to protect the life of the mother. Other issues in controversy include spousal consent requirements, penalties and restrictions on doctors who perform abortions, and the ever-contentious rape and incest exceptions)

Thats the legal analysis.

Thats the analytical framework that Roe v. Wade set out.

For any given abortion law: the threshold question is always is the burden imposed undue???

And how you analyze/answer that question determines whether or not the law stands up to judicial scrutiny.

...again...taking off my partisan hat and just looking at this legalistically here...

Generally, the way its supposed to work is that precedent stands unless new facts have emerged or new arguments have been raised.

This issue was thoroughly litigated in Roe v. Wade. The arguments were well-crafted and finely parsed.

40 years later: I see absolutely nothing in the way of new arguments not previously analyzed and considered that would warrant the Court reopening this matter, relitigating it, and reaching new or different conclusions of law.
                            Last edited by Post-Crisis Shob; May 22nd, 2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
                              Editing a comment
                              Not sure if this is for me or you just want to put this out there in general, but I like this post.

Better than some of the other responses...

I'm dead. I'm fucking dead.
                            Last edited by Cid; June 7th, 2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I'm dead. I'm fucking dead.
                              i ardently refuse to believe this man actually thinks the moon is part of mars. no way is he that scientifically illiterate. maybe he meant something like "the mars mission, of which the moon mission will also be a part of", but it came out another way because hes literately challenged

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post

i ardently refuse to believe this man actually thinks the moon is part of mars. no way is he that scientifically illiterate. maybe he meant something like "the mars mission, of which the moon mission will also be a part of", but it came out another way because hes literately challenged
                                That part is dumb.

https://www.space.com/39050-trump-di...s-to-moon.html

This is what kills me. Mars was completely focuses on Mars under the Obama administration. Then Trump gets into office and redirects their mission to the moon again. And now he's whining about them following his orders? What?

Comment

That part is dumb.

https://www.space.com/39050-trump-di...s-to-moon.html

This is what kills me. Mars was completely focuses on Mars under the Obama administration. Then Trump gets into office and redirects their mission to the moon again. And now he's whining about them following his orders? What?
                                  oh

yea, thats really bizarre. does not abate my theory that trump may be suffering from some form of senility

Comment

on a (somewhat) lighter note, it seems Trump's attempt at wrecking both the US and the Mexican economy with his threat of tariffs has been avoided....for now

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ffs-trump-says

I'm not happy about AMLO's decision to house more migrants with Mexico being the desolate wasteland that it is right now as far as jobs are concerned, but at least this won't be hurting my own business any time soon. I might be able to enjoy my weekend after all, lol....

Comment

Working...
                                    X