Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President Trump's speech was... something.

Comment

Originally posted by P408370R View Post
      President Trump's speech was... something.
      I got Bingo!

Originally posted by Date Rape Prophet
      I don't believe in infallibility of scripture

Comment

"This is the first real evidence I've seen of collusion."

-Rick Santorum; on newly unredacted court filings showing that Paul Manafort gave Trump Campaign internal polling and voter data to a Russian Intelligence Officer

Ayyyyyyyy. You're losing it when you can't even get ol' Frothy to tow the party-line bullshit lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
          I'm sort of playing around with the idea of doing a youtube channel for politics or maybe just a podcast or something similar. I don't really get to discuss politics offline since none of my friends/family irl are interested enough (or smart enough) to talk the talk with me, but all the typing and lack of actual human interaction just doesn't make it as fun or productive. Would any of you guys be interested in participating in something like that? Maybe once a week or every other week? Doesn't even have to be anything formal, just a casual chat that doesn't even have to strictly be political. (though politics would be the primary theme)
          Will you discuss the class struggle and the state of the proletariat
          Originally posted by Kajin_Style ;n513566
          Why should I even give a damn that some faggot is being stoned to death in another country?

Comment

I'm sort of playing around with the idea of doing a youtube channel for politics or maybe just a podcast or something similar. I don't really get to discuss politics offline since none of my friends/family irl are interested enough (or smart enough) to talk the talk with me, but all the typing and lack of actual human interaction just doesn't make it as fun or productive. Would any of you guys be interested in participating in something like that? Maybe once a week or every other week? Doesn't even have to be anything formal, just a casual chat that doesn't even have to strictly be political. (though politics would be the primary theme)
            Define "participating"

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

Define "participating"
              Plug a mic in and discuss relevant news for like 40 - 60 minutes. lol

Comment

Plug a mic
                Too much technology.

Could I just like conference in on speaker-phone

Comment

Just got a whiff of Trump’s speech.

Let’s see:

1. “Pay for itself.” Well, it might pay for some of it, but certainly not all of it, lol. He won’t account for the illegals that get in without jumping the border.

2. The route to the border. Trump’s actually not that wrong, and he’s trying to make it out that he cares for everyone involved in this fiasco, which makes him look better...given that he’s not entirely wrong. The journey here on foot through the border is as shitty as Trump makes it to be. That’s also part of why we need to reform our immigration system to something much simpler and not based on the fisa lotteries or whatever it is that we’re doing now (“Merit-Based immigration” basically). If it’s easier to get in illegally, change the legal route to citizenship.

3. “American lives tho.” Not much of a crisis given those numbers, honestly, compared to the size of the population coming in. Seems like mostly emotional manipulation to get his policy through.

4. “But why is it immoral when Democrats have walls around their homes?” Admittedly, this wasn’t that bad. Part of the Dems reasoning-well, Pelosi’s, at least-is that the wall is “immoral.” Given the Dems’ love for walls around their homes...

Yeah, I’m not buying this from Democrats. But not just because they have walls around their homes. It’s also because I would sure hope the Dems haven’t contributed any money to our foreign military affairs and meddling or anything like that that would damage their credibility a bit. The wall isn’t immoral, he’s right on that...just useless.

The speech was mostly wrong, but some tactics he used weren’t half bad. Better propaganda than his Tweets, at least.
                  Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; January 9th, 2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianCoffeeAddict View Post
                    The speech was mostly wrong, but some tactics he used weren’t half bad. Better propaganda than his Tweets, at least.

Such a high bar we've set.

Comment

Originally posted by Post-Crisis Shob View Post

Too much technology.

Could I just like conference in on speaker-phone
                      I dunno, maybe if we did it via Skype you could call through it. I've never done this shit before, I don't know how any of it works. lol

Comment

Trump: "I want dat wall."
                        Dems: "Well, we don't."
                        Trump: "But I want it."
                        Dems: "But we don't."
                        Trump: "But I do."
                        *Rinse and repeat until you get to day 19.*

Well...

Looks like this could go on for a while.

Comment

Trump: "I want dat wall."
                          Dems: "Well, we don't."
                          Trump: "But I want it."
                          Dems: "But we don't."
                          Trump: "But I do."
                          *Rinse and repeat until you get to day 19.*

Well...

Looks like this could go on for a while.
                          It's really more nuanced than that. It's more like this.

Trump: "I want better border security by building a wall!"
                          Dems: "We'll give you funding for border security, but not the wall."
                          Trump: "No wall, no deal!"
                          Dems: "But you said you wanted better border security, we're fully willing to-"
                          Trump: "I WANT A GLORIOUS WALL"
                          Dems: "You said Mexico would pay for the wa-"
                          Trump: "THEY ALREADY ARE WITH THE NEW TRADE DEAL!"
                          Dems: "But all of the sources say that the amount of income we'll be getting from Mexico is nowhere near enough to-"
                          Trump: "DEMOCRATS ARE SHUTTING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT BECAUSE THEY WANT OPEN BORDERS!"
                          Dems: "We just said we'd give you funding for border secu-"
                          Trump: "I'M TWEETING ABOUT HOW YOU WANT MEXICANS TO MURDER OUR BABIES WITH DRUGS RIGHT NOW!"
                          Dems: "WE'RE GONNA IMPEACH THIS MOTHERFUCKER"
                          Last edited by Cid; January 9th, 2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I dunno, maybe if we did it via Skype you could call through it. I've never done this shit before, I don't know how any of it works. lol
                          Most podcasts I've seen go through Skype if they can, but you wanna make sure it sounds pretty good (shitty connections are annoying as hell). That said, I've heard Discord is a bit better nowadays, I'd go that route. And I THINK the app works in such a way that you could talk through your phone as though it were a conference call... Maybe. We'd have to test it out.

Also, I'd enjoy being on a podcast but I'm not exactly ready to carry on a 40 minute discussion without an awkward silence or ten. OtherwiseI'd basically just be repeating stuff from NPR, probably.
                          Last edited by OrganizationXV; January 9th, 2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrganizationXV View Post

Most podcasts I've seen go through Skype if they can, but you wanna make sure it sounds pretty good (shitty connections are annoying as hell). That said, I've heard Discord is a bit better nowadays, I'd go that route. And I THINK the app works in such a way that you could talk through your phone as though it were a conference call... Maybe. We'd have to test it out.

Also, I'd enjoy being on a podcast but I'm not exactly ready to carry on a 40 minute discussion without an awkward silence or ten. OtherwiseI'd basically just be repeating stuff from NPR, probably.
                            I remember being on the Discord voice chat one time a long time back and had a pretty good bit of trouble using my phone for it. But it's been a year or two, it's entirely possible that they've improved it. It'd be worth testing, for sure.

As for your last bit... I don't mean for the discussion to remain strictly politics. Really, it's more of a T5 general podcast. So we might have a couple hard subjects to discuss, but the idea is that we'd kind of just talk. Games, anime, jobs, the site and it's happenings, etc would be fair game. I just figure it'd mainly be politics anyway since the ones that would actually participate are all pretty politically involved. lol

But I'd actually have to buy a decent mic and do the research on how to best record, etc. So it'd be a few months from now before we made any solid plans. Just bringing it up to gauge interest. I was hoping you'd be on board, Shob, maybe RCA if he felt he could swing it a couple times a month with the whole college dorm thing, J Peth too. Even thought about asking Souls so we'd at least have somebody on the other side of the meter to have some back and forth, but I'm pretty sure he's gone now since he got banned and didn't like me telling him to fuck off. lol

Comment

Just got a whiff of Trump’s speech.

Let’s see:

1. “Pay for itself.” Well, it might pay for some of it, but certainly not all of it, lol. He won’t account for the illegals that get in without jumping the border.
                              Wait how? Still not clear on how a Wall will do that.

2. The route to the border. Trump’s actually not that wrong, and he’s trying to make it out that he cares for everyone involved in this fiasco, which makes him look better...given that he’s not entirely wrong. The journey here on foot through the border is as shitty as Trump makes it to be. That’s also part of why we need to reform our immigration system to something much simpler and not based on the fisa lotteries or whatever it is that we’re doing now (“Merit-Based immigration” basically). If it’s easier to get in illegally, change the legal route to citizenship.
                              People will follow roads. Sure some may travel off the beaten path to try and get around security but you could have people patrol, setup cameras, high tech sensors, etc, etc to monitor it. There is a desert along the US and Mexico border. There is not much in the way of wild food to survive off and if you think they'll go camping across the border, lol... yea you are expecting far too much because most illegals are very poor.

3. “American lives tho.” Not much of a crisis given those numbers, honestly, compared to the size of the population coming in. Seems like mostly emotional manipulation to get his policy through.
                              Don't really see the crisis here. This article hits you pretty good with the numbers: https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-...-mexico-border

Here's some fun stats from that article:
                              "Only 6,259 individuals of the 362,000 individuals apprehended by Border Patrol were actually found to have criminal convictions. Those individuals get fast-tracked for deportation.
                              That still seems like a big number though. But take a look at their crimes. A full 47 percent of the 6,259 individuals were convicted for illegally entering or re-entering the United States. 14 percent have DUIs. One in ten has a drug offense.
                              Only 13 percent — or about 800 people — have records of violence or convictions for sexual or firearms offenses. That’s less than 1 percent of the total 362,000 apprehended by the Border Patrol in that period.
                              That’s a ratio of 1:450. By contrast, one in 12 adult Americans has a felony conviction. "

4. “But why is it immoral when Democrats have walls around their homes?” Admittedly, this wasn’t that bad. Part of the Dems reasoning-well, Pelosi’s, at least-is that the wall is “immoral.” Given the Dems’ love for walls around their homes...
                              This is a retarded argument by him. That's like me saying erecting a tall fence around my property will keep burglars out. It isn't. They'll still come to rob me anyway if that is their intent. Hell if the fence is too high it might attract more people to try just because the house stands out so much and they might wonder what am I trying to hide/secure.

The only reason I would get a fence is to decorate my property. It does nothing to security it. High walls won't security either, it'll just make it more private.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajin_Style View Post
                                This is a retarded argument by him. That's like me saying erecting a tall fence around my property will keep burglars out. It isn't. They'll still come to rob me anyway if that is their intent. Hell if the fence is too high it might attract more people to try just because the house stands out so much and they might wonder what am I trying to hide/secure.

The only reason I would get a fence is to decorate my property. It does nothing to security it. High walls won't security either, it'll just make it more private.
                                That argument is retarded because the two are not similar, at all.

Most people don't build fences purely for security concerns, I'm willing to bet security concerns are often not even in mind most of the time. Fences around homes provide three things in abundance: 1) Privacy, 2) a barrier to keeps pets IN, 3) a visual landmark for where your property ends. Fences don't provide a whole lot security against robbers because it's pretty easy to climb over/cut through them.

Comment

Wait how? Still not clear on how a Wall will do that.
                                  The basic premise is that the illegal immigrants cause so much damage in costs to the US that the wall would mitigate enough of those over time to "pay for itself." Technically, of the ground-based illegals there are, it'd deter some from coming over and thus avoid some of the costs they'd bring, but it wouldn't really "pay for itself" in terms of any potential "saved money."

People will follow roads. Sure some may travel off the beaten path to try and get around security but you could have people patrol, setup cameras, high tech sensors, etc, etc to monitor it. There is a desert along the US and Mexico border. There is not much in the way of wild food to survive off and if you think they'll go camping across the border, lol... yea you are expecting far too much because most illegals are very poor.
                                  They do. But I'm fairly certain that the predators also congregate around the roads as well.

And that's a lot of the reason the ground level ones come over. They bet they have a better chance coming over here to end their misery than staying home and I think the ground-level ones just can't afford other means of coming over...so they walk or drive over. The journey is, IIRC, legitimately that bad, or roughly comparable to what he's describing, if it's an on-foot affair.

They're not the majority of illegal immigrants, but of the ones that do come over at the ground level, from what I can tell, it's around as shitty as Trump's making it to be. Maybe slightly less, but not a whole lot less.

And I suppose you two are right.

On the other hand, I still don't take the Democrats calling the wall "immoral" seriously (already stated why in that post).

It's just useless.
                                  Last edited by RussianCoffeeAddict; January 9th, 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

The basic premise is that the illegal immigrants cause so much damage in costs to the US that the wall would mitigate enough of those over time to "pay for itself." Technically, of the ground-based illegals there are, it'd deter some from coming over and thus avoid some of the costs they'd bring, but it wouldn't really "pay for itself" in terms of any potential "saved money."
                                    I guess that makes.... some sense but at the same time it is hard to prove without a study on it and it is not like a bunch of illegal immigrants will let us study their financial situation with the current political climate. I do however hear that they do pay taxes cause ya know taxes on pay checks and all. Any money they make would go into living expenses and probably a bit back to Mexico for any family still there.

I don't know it sounds fishy but I'd love to see more evidence for or against it. As far as I know they can't get Obamacare or medicare of any kind. So they can't eat up that cost. However, a quick look and I did see that non-citizens are on welfare. I scratch my head at that cause ya know if you are trying to deport people how hard is it to go through the welfare list? Furthermore couldn't he as president add requirements to welfare where only US citizens can get it?

This whole problems sounds more fish the more I think dig... anyway.

They do. But I'm fairly certain that the predators also congregate around the roads as well.

And that's a lot of the reason the ground level ones come over. They bet they have a better chance coming over here to end their misery than staying home and I think the ground-level ones just can't afford other means of coming over...so they walk or drive over. The journey is, IIRC, legitimately that bad, or roughly comparable to what he's describing, if it's an on-foot affair.

They're not the majority of illegal immigrants, but of the ones that do come over at the ground level, from what I can tell, it's around as shitty as Trump's making it to be. Maybe slightly less, but not a whole lot less.

And I suppose you two are right.

On the other hand, I still don't take the Democrats calling the wall "immoral" seriously (already stated why in that post).

It's just useless.
                                    Wait when did they call the wall immoral. Think I missed that part.

Are you meaning all the "bad hombres" that Trump is referring to? Cause I could just point you to that article snippet I posted earlier.

Comment

• RussianCoffeeAddict
                                      Editing a comment
                                      "Furthermore couldn't he as president add requirements to welfare where only US citizens can get it?"

I'd think so. That, or he'd need to go through congress to get it...

I guess that makes.... some sense but at the same time it is hard to prove without a study on it and it is not like a bunch of illegal immigrants will let us study their financial situation with the current political climate. I do however hear that they do pay taxes cause ya know taxes on pay checks and all. Any money they make would go into living expenses and probably a bit back to Mexico for any family still there.

I don't know it sounds fishy but I'd love to see more evidence for or against it. As far as I know they can't get Obamacare or medicare of any kind. So they can't eat up that cost. However, a quick look and I did see that non-citizens are on welfare. I scratch my head at that cause ya know if you are trying to deport people how hard is it to go through the welfare list? Furthermore couldn't he as president add requirements to welfare where only US citizens can get it?

This whole problems sounds more fish the more I think dig... anyway.

Wait when did they call the wall immoral. Think I missed that part.

Are you meaning all the "bad hombres" that Trump is referring to? Cause I could just point you to that article snippet I posted earlier.

It was on-top of other criticism's that were more sensible, but she still also added "immorality" on top of it.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                      X